Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Orange Harrison posted:

I get that too, because I bundled all my Pro Guitar upgrades. It seems like normal behavior if you have upgrade files bundled into one piece of content.
It's not preferred behavior, but the game seems to be fine with it. The only side-effect I've encountered it a very small ~1% chance of getting the "Failed to load song. Skipping..." message when trying to play an upgraded track, but all you have to do is select the song again to play it.
I get that same error at around the same rate without bundled Pro Guitar upgrades (indeed, without any Pro Guitar upgrades at all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Looks like a free song is coming at some point?

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/573126793777053696

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Any advice on how to get an EA version of the RB3 disc? Just go to Gamestop and ask to see a few used copies?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Kaboobi posted:

Looks like a free song is coming at some point?

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/573126793777053696

Obviously it's one of the Harmonix bands with a brand new hair-metal meta-song about diehard Rock Band fans. Seems more likely than a free Mariah Carey song.

e: pax announcement is just a free mariah carey song and no other news, please look forward to it

pksage fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 4, 2015

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

weekly font posted:

Any advice on how to get an EA version of the RB3 disc? Just go to Gamestop and ask to see a few used copies?

Or private sellers on eBay who took a picture of the actual packaging or are willing to do so.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Any other goons going to PAX? I know kaboobi and pksage were there last year.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

whypick1 posted:

Any other goons going to PAX? I know kaboobi and pksage were there last year.

Not going this year, alas, but make sure to smuggle customs into the RB stage setup if they're not there already.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

First PAX in a few years I'm not working!
I should be around-ish at times, trying to keep my schedule free but man it's filling up.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I Still Believe is also a really dope Frank Turner song with the lyrics, "Who'd have thought that something as simple as rock and roll will save us all."

It's probably that over Mariah.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdaaGlyu7EQ

Bet it's this.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The free song turned out to be Frank Turner's "I Still Believe", available now on the 360. PS3 whenever Sony gets their poo poo together.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

hello rock band thread there's also this "Rock Band 4" thing, but whatever. not that important

http://t.co/SPWHWjKAL9

https://t.co/a8xz1pFyIf

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Well, maybe when I can get an Xbone for like $200...

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

the important stuff:

Q: When is RB4 coming out?!
A: Rock Band will be out this year. Stay tuned for more specifics in the coming months.

Q: What consoles is RB4 coming out for?
A: Rock Band 4 will be released for Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Q: Why not Wii / Wii U / PC?
A: Due to shifting production priorities and capabilities of the studio, we don’t currently have plans to release RB4 on the Wii / Wii U / PC simultaneously with Xbox One and PS4. While we genuinely appreciate the support of Wii Rock band users over the years, and the increased interest from PC gamers, the truth is that we had to prioritize opportunities on other platforms with historically larger RB audiences.

Q: Will my old DLC work on the next gen console of the same type, i.e. PS3 -> PS4?
A: Yes! Content purchased from the store or exported from a disc will transfer over to the new generation of consoles at not addition cost as we make that content available.

Q: Will my old DLC work if I bought a different next gen console, i.e. Xbox 360 -> PS4?
A: Cross platform DLC compatibility is not entirely within our control, as DLC ownership is managed by the 1st parties.

Q: Will my old hardware work?
A: We’re already working closely with Mad Catz, Sony, and Microsoft on solutions for letting you use legacy hardware on new consoles. This is a challenge on both the software side and hardware side, but something we’d love to happen. We’ll have more information on this in the coming months.

Q: Will you be making new hardware?
A: Yes we will! You can preorder a new PAX East exclusive guitar if you come by the Harmonix booth! We’re working with Mad Catz, who has a lot of history with RB gear, and we’re excited to get more instruments back into the world.

Q: What instruments will be playable? Wiill RB4 have Pro guitar and keys?
A: Rock Band 4 will focus on the core experience and the roots of the franchise – guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. There will be no Pro Guitar or key support in Rock Band 4. We will continue to support “Pro” mode for Drums.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Kaboobi posted:

hello rock band thread there's also this "Rock Band 4" thing, but whatever. not that important

http://t.co/SPWHWjKAL9

https://t.co/a8xz1pFyIf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcZqcPOlNM

WHY CAN'T I STOP CRYING, THOUGH

That guitar is the ugliest thing in the loving world, though, guys. Bad first foot forward.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

More in depth info here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/03/04/rock-band-4-is-coming-here-s-what-you-need-to-know.aspx

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
What will be the state of customs once 4 is out? Will their releases be stopped or slowed down? I remember someone said that if a song released on customs came out for real, the custom version would be deleted.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

It's going to be really hard to go back to no customs. I'll have to keep the 360 around for that. That said, this will probably push me to an XBOne if I can get it cheapish.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

welp all my DLC and guitars were for my Wii so....while I'm excited for this, I'm not too excited for needing to start over fresh with EVERYTHING. Ah well, Christmas PSN point cards, I suppose. Can't say I didn't expect this though, it was the loving Wii version, was lucky it even had RB2 to RB3 transfer support which was a miracle.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Kaboobi posted:

the important stuff:

Q: When is RB4 coming out?!
A: Rock Band will be out this year. Stay tuned for more specifics in the coming months.

Q: Will my old DLC work on the next gen console of the same type, i.e. PS3 -> PS4?
A: Yes! Content purchased from the store or exported from a disc will transfer over to the new generation of consoles at not addition cost as we make that content available.

Q: Will my old hardware work?
A: We’re already working closely with Mad Catz, Sony, and Microsoft on solutions for letting you use legacy hardware on new consoles. This is a challenge on both the software side and hardware side, but something we’d love to happen. We’ll have more information on this in the coming months.

Oh Yeah! Finally a reason to get a Xbone.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
PS4/One only
Dropping keys support (!!!!)

Some decisions I did not expect them to make

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Now I have to buy an Xbone :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can see why they wouldn't bother with keys anymore, but I'm going to miss them.

I'm gonna have to see what kind of new features and mechanics they came up with, I think. If there's a huge transition between old and new songs I could even see myself starting over. That 360 for old stuff and customs isn't going anywhere.

I wonder if the DLC backwards compatibility extends to the exported on-disc tracks, and if RB3 will be exportable.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I can see why they wouldn't bother with keys anymore, but I'm going to miss them.

I'm gonna have to see what kind of new features and mechanics they came up with, I think. If there's a huge transition between old and new songs I could even see myself starting over. That 360 for old stuff and customs isn't going anywhere.

I wonder if the DLC backwards compatibility extends to the exported on-disc tracks, and if RB3 will be exportable.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope you can just pop in old discs or some poo poo or there's some option to just buy the RB1 to RB3 content digitally. I don't really want to go through a process of buying those things just for my PS3 and then back and forth it 3 times over.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Hopefully yall learned your lesson from last time and didn't immediately tear out and throw away the instruction booklet for RB3 on launch day.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This sucks because I'm not planning on buying an xbone, and they're not making a pc version. So my dlc and instruments are useless at this point, oh well (I played on 360).

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Congrats Microsoft, Harmonix did what you couldn't and sold me on an Xbone. Gonna own all the consoles again.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
The Real solution is that Now you're planning on buying Xbone.

(I have 1000+€ worth of stuff tied into xbox line) :eng99:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

DaWolfey posted:

PS4/One only

Some decisions I did not expect them to make

That's my biggest thing here. I'm really surprised that the results of their newsletter poll were anything BUT "we have a huge playerbase on 360/PS3, let's do a simultaneous release on previous-gen and current-gen". I get that they're a smaller company without the manpower to do much tweaking, but man I would totally take shittier graphics on an XB1/PS4 version if it meant the game also worked on the 360/PS3.

There's some really interesting stuff in the press release and the GI article that I want to break down, but I have to go get surgery! GREAT TIMING, HAMDIX.

fake edit: C3 will be immediately pulling any new songs that are announced for disc or DLC, but that's our only plan right now. We'll talk about winding down when and if Harmonix's regular DLC engine starts back up.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

adhuin posted:

The Real solution is that Now you're planning on buying Xbone.

(I have 1000+€ worth of stuff tied into xbox line) :eng99:

Nah gently caress that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

Aw, but I hate being That Guy and missing things that are clearly stated!

That's, well. Good, obviously, in any measure, but waaah I really don't want an Xbone first world problems.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
It's like an honest to God miracle has occurred.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Welp, I guess I'm buying a PS4 for sure now. :v:

Was already planning to do so to play Amplitude I got from the Kickstarter, and Abe's Oddysey: New n Tasty.... but this cements it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Having instruments carry over is the last nail in the coffin. Looks like I'm buying an XBone...

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Welp I bought a 360 for Rock Band, so the circle of life continues.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

I'm so happy right now.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

Kaboobi posted:

A: We’re already working closely with Mad Catz, Sony, and Microsoft on solutions for letting you use legacy hardware on new consoles.

Silly people forgot to add "Ion" to that list. Surely just a typo. Yes, yes, honest mistake. :ohdear:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Losing keys support really, really sucks.

I was just getting into it, and it's pretty cool guys! It's got a very different flavour from guitar/bass/drums, and there's a lot of songs out there that feel... fuller, I guess, would be a decent word to use, for songs that have key parts. Like, I can't imagine Don't Stop Me Now working without a keys part. Would we go back to the RB1/2 days, where songs with a big focus on organs and piano would have those parts charted to guitar, like Smokin'? And how would this work for RB3 songs and DLC, more than a few of which were really only in the game because they were great on keys, like the Billy Joel and The Doors? Or loving Imagine? That's a fantastic song that I'd hate to lose, but it doesn't have a guitar part so why would I play it in the new game?

Questions, questions, keep swirling in my head, though the biggest part of my headspace right now is

Orange Harrison posted:

Now I have to buy an Xbone :(

FirstPlayer posted:

I'm so happy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
There's no way I'm buying a xbone just to play rock band, I guess it's my own fault for not buying it on ps3 last gen. If the track listing is good enough I guess I could see myself starting all over on ps4.

• Locked thread