Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kaboobi posted:

Q: Will my old DLC work on the next gen console of the same type, i.e. PS3 -> PS4?
A: Yes! Content purchased from the store or exported from a disc will transfer over to the new generation of consoles at not addition cost as we make that content available.
Bolded what I think is the more important part.

This could mean a lot of things. They may not be planning on making all (or even a majority of) legacy DLC "available" again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

There's no way I'm buying a xbone just to play rock band, I guess it's my own fault for not buying it on ps3 last gen. If the track listing is good enough I guess I could see myself starting all over on ps4.

Same here. I already bought a PS4 just to play the MLB game, I'm not doing it again just for Rock Band. Re-buying all my DLC would probably be cheaper, for one thing.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

WhiteHowler posted:

This could mean a lot of things. They may not be planning on making all (or even a majority of) legacy DLC "available" again.

Nah, they said they're going to port over the vast majority of it (assume basically everything they haven't lost the licenses for), but getting it all available for launch is an impossibility. One of the article said a few hundred at launch and then rolling it out in batches, likely what they did to get the Wii caught up after RB2 was released.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
You 360 --> PS4 people sure are salty. Not nearly as salty as the kids at neogaf though.

It's a loving miracle that the DLC will carry over, whatever timing it might be at. I can't even imagine the staff of lawyers involved on getting that poo poo through. You'd need a team of Frank Underwood's to get it to be cross-platform generations.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

WhiteHowler posted:

From the Game Informer piece, a direct quote from the project manager:

quote:

“We’re putting a lot of effort into rebuilding that DLC library on the current-gen consoles, and that’s a pretty big initiative in and of itself,” Sussman says. “It took us five-plus years to accumulate a library that has thousands of songs in it. It’s a time-consuming process for us and the first parties; lucky for us we have great relationships there and they understand the value of that library in the context of Rock Band. If you bought songs in Rock Band 3 or Rock Band 2 or Rock Band 1, songs that you bought will carry forward to Rock Band 4. There are a lot of folks out there who have spent some significant scratch on the DLC catalog and the last thing we want to do is come back to those players and say, ‘OK, you have to buy those songs again.’ We’ll support entitlements, we’ll have the full library out.”

I don't think it'll be 100%, because there'll be some edge cases, not to mention the stuff where the license has already expired and it's no longer for sale, but it sounds like you can expect the vast majority to come along.

It sounds like the DLC situation is like what's happening with that new Dance Central game, where it has to be repackaged and re-released for the new game. That's why the bit about "as we make that content available", because it's not going to be that all the old stuff is present on Day 1.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

You 360 --> PS4 people sure are salty. Not nearly as salty as the kids at neogaf though.

Hey don't get me wrong, I am really happy that a new game is coming out. Just trying to figure out how to avoid spending $1000 on it.

One of the reasons I went with PS4 was that I thought there would never be a next-gen Rock Band game :v:

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 5, 2015

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Have they mentioned anything about PS3 instruments working on the PS4? Or 360 instruments working on the XBO?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Astro7x posted:

Have they mentioned anything about PS3 instruments working on the PS4? Or 360 instruments working on the XBO?

Q: Will my old hardware work?
A: We’re already working closely with Mad Catz, Sony, and Microsoft on solutions for letting you use legacy hardware on new consoles. This is a challenge on both the software side and hardware side, but something we’d love to happen. We’ll have more information on this in the coming months.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

suddenlyissoon posted:

*Stands on top of a Beatles Rock Band full band set box, yelling* You're a retard!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That's great!

I saw something about going back to the core instruments. I hope this doesn't mean that Pro Drums aren't a standard thing. I still have my wired RB1 non pro drums, and I'd definitely upgrade to wireless pro drums if they make them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I have no idea how they're going to make PS3->PS4 song export work since PS3 games don't run on PS4. Either way, looks like I need to track down a RB1 disc since I have an export key already. A few bucks for a replacement disc is worth it for 42 songs.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nail Rat posted:

I have no idea how they're going to make PS3->PS4 song export work since PS3 games don't run on PS4. Either way, looks like I need to track down a RB1 disc since I have an export key already. A few bucks for a replacement disc is worth it for 42 songs.

Maybe RB4 could request you to insert the disc, recognize it, and then just download the songs. I think something on PS4 or Xbox One has already had a similar process of just detecting what the old disc was without actually needing to run it, but I can't think of it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Well, folks, it's as good as a time as any to refresh. Don't worry, your previous posts will be compatible with the next thread.

• Locked thread