Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I fixed the Firefox flickering issue in that one thing we're not linking to!

Speaking of That Thing, progress is still being made. Hopefully it'll be up this afternoon or evening (EST).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Goon brethren! That One Thing, possibly known as The Thing That Shall Not Be Linked, is now back up. The database part, anyway; the rest of the team is editing posts on other forums and the rest of the official-announcement stuff.

We have a bunch of cool songs in the pipe, so hopefully we'll be able to talk about it in this thread. v:shobon:v If you have any recommendations for the song database, please let me know!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

The T posted:

They're mentioned in the Announcement post, the extra Beatles: Rock Band exports, but they don't appear to be on the database yet.

We had debated whether to include them or not, and decided on "what the hell, let's do it" -- but a little late for me to include them in the DB for launch day. We're gonna have a big TBRB push this Friday (4/12).

SatansBestBuddy posted:

what songs can we not play in RB3 that we could before? IE what songs were available before that aren't now?

Pretty sure, but not entirely sure, on these:

Songs that were pulled or never formally released, but still play if you have them
Metallica - Blackened
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Airbourne - Runnin' Wild
Snoop Dogg - Snoop's Upside Ya Head
Miley Cyrus - Party in the U.S.A.
(a bunch of RBN songs)

Songs that will not play in RB3 even if you own them
Die Toten Hosen - Hier Kommt Alex
Oasis - Rock 'n' Roll Star

Songs that don't export to RB3
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (cover)
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills (cover)
Journey - Any Way You Want It
Metallica - Battery
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

Orange Harrison posted:

I tried "Old Time Rock n Roll"
Every energy phrase is a unison bonus and they forgot to author energy phrases for Keys. :|
E: Everything else is top notch though, I hope quality control catches more of these minor mistakes before they sneak through though.

We don't really have "quality control", unfortunately. The downside of a customs-based project. The upshot, though, is that we can and will release updates for songs with bigass bugs like that. Very soon, the site will have a "Report Song Issue" form that you can use to bitch at us about problems in songs.

pksage fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 10, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Is this a specific bug, or just the author leaving stuff out?

Almost certainly the latter.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

I was expecting this to be some lovely song because of allears and this thread's penchant for sarcasm, but holy poo poo, I want it.

We will be reaching out to people who have authored full-band/full-difficulty customs and basically saying "hey, can we put your song in C3 and credit you?" It won't just be the listed dedicated authors.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

The T posted:

Also, just found out there is a group/site that has done Rite of Passage and Metropolis Part 1 by Dream Theater, and while I haven't played them Rite of Passage looks quite good, and I'm a dork who loves (the with Mike Portnoy version of) Dream Theater, so. I'm happy.

This is actually the center of some drama for us right now. A bunch of work for that song was done by one of the guys for our project; 1) our guy wasn't given any credit for it, 2) none of us want there to be two customs sites, and 3) that guy happens to be hosting his files on our web server. We're hoping we can convince him to just drop the work on his site and join us, because otherwise we have to drop his songs from our hosting, and ugh drama

I spiffed up the info/download panel a little bit, it's a little less terrible now.

Oh, and before I forget, I'd like some more opinions on this. There exists a project that has ported songs from The Beatles: Rock Band to work as RB3 customs, and we can't decide whether to roll that into C3 or not. On one side of the argument: We want all high-quality customs to be in one place, we're already hosting GH conversions, and if we're gonna get a C&D we'll get one whether or not we're hosting TBRB songs. On the other side (the side that I am on): We want to respect Harmonix with this project, it's not that hard to Google for the Beatles customs as it is, and Harmonix cares so deeply about TBRB in particular that hosting those songs makes us about twice as likely to get a notice from them. What do you guys think?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Orange Harrison posted:

"Old Time Rock & Roll" crashes the game if you try to play Pro Guitar or Pro Bass.

This is known and fixed, the new version just needs to be uploaded.

edit: Our first regular weekly release is up! We've got the RBHP update, with about half of Lego RB (keys on The Final Countdown!) and a bunch of RBN updates, and two new singles: Rush's "Xanadu" and Taylor Swift's "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together".

pksage fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 12, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Which program is it that actually opens a con file to view the metadata and stuff? Is it that Fluffy thing?

That one works, but "Horizon", "Modio", and "wxPirs" will do it just fine as well. We have a sticky for those tools on our new forum on The Site That Must Not Be Linked.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Huge week for CCC today. See the blog post for the official copy, but we've got the following:

Led Zeppelin 6-pack
  • Led Zeppelin - "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Black Dog"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Communication Breakdown"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Good Times Bad Times"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Immigrant Song"
  • Led Zeppelin - "Kashmir"
New Singles
  • Alkaline Trio - "Mercy Me"
  • The Bravery - "An Honest Mistake"
  • Radiohead - "High and Dry"
  • Run-D.M.C. - "It's Tricky"
New GHtoRB3 Conversions
  • The Eagles - "Life in the Fast Lane"
  • Smashing Pumpkins - "Bullet with Butterfly Wings"
  • Street Sweeper Social Club - "100 Little Curses"
"From the Vault" Single (previously released, now an official CCC release)
  • Led Zeppelin - "Stairway to Heaven"

And we've released every single GHtoRB3 back catalog song, which is a total of 185 more songs. For the full list, check the blog post.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

GHtoRB3 tracks haven't been changed in any way, correct? So if I had downloaded them from a central GHtoRB3 document over the past few weeks, I should have the same files that are now being linked via C3?

Correct. We're just hosting and promoting them as part of our project. You can continue to download files from their spreadsheet or use our database; all links lead to the same place.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So since installing customs a whole buttload of my dlc has gone missing. All of the acdc pack. Still alive. Date with the night. And others I'm sure. They're still downloaded on the hard drive, but not showing up in game. What gives?

Are they saved in cloud storage, or tied to a profile in cloud storage? Do they show up if you boot your 360 without the customs drive plugged in and connect to Xbox LIVE?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Douwe posted:

I wonder if RBN will be a thing again when/if creators goes back up, they were still releasing some fun songs (for me Terror and Dillinger) once every few weeks before creators went down.

I have one more Dance for the Dying song ("Ophelia") that I'd rather release through RBN than through C3.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Below are the 4/26 CCC releases, also known as "Oh poo poo, We Really Have To Do This Every Week?" Mega props to Orange Harrison!
  • The Beatles - "This Boy" (Orange Harrison)
  • Dusty Springfield - "Son of a Preacher Man" (Nyxyxylyth)
  • Mizuki Nana - "Innocent Starter" (LyokoFreaks)
  • Santo & Johnny - "Sleep Walk" (Orange Harrison)
Full copy for the release is available on the blog, as usual.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Douwe posted:

Now that you incorporated the customs made by GHtoRB3, why not mention and include their weekly releases?

Unless I missed something, there were no new releases this week. Last week's songs were all released last Friday.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Flops posted:

One thing I've always wondered about is writing the charts for vocal tracks. Making charts for any instrument is not an easy task, but trying to pin down pitches for each lyric seems like a nightmare. Then you have the case of harmonies which turns it into a matter of transcribing chords. How do you check that all of those pitches are correct?

You definitely need a good ear for pitch. Having separated vocal stems helps, but for the most part you simply play the guide pitch over the actual track until it sounds right. If you know a little more about music, you'll nail down the key in which it's sung pretty quickly and place your pitches based on that.

IMO, accurate placement of the beginning and end of vocal tubes is a much bigger pain than pitches.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Though if you're only planning to author 5-lane, several years of Expert-level Rock Band experience will generally work for everything but vocals.

edit to expand: More specifically (for 5-lane), knowing how to make "fun" chord progressions on G/B is a big thing that many people don't get. I've seen people with a background in music theory botch their 5-lane charts because they haven't played enough plastic guitar to know why GH3 had lovely charts and RB didn't.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Played around with the modified Le Fluffie posted on that site. Successfully added in-game album art to a custom that didn't have any!:woop: Fixed some metadata too.

What would I need to modify lyrics in an existing file? Are they part of the .mid or are they stored somewhere else? Do I need Reaper for that? Curious how far I can go in this without having to buy some pro software.

That's in the MIDI, easily editable with REAPER (whose trial version is free forever). Extract the MIDI from the CON, import it to REAPER (there are guides on google for this if you need help), open PART VOCALS or HARM1/HARM2/HARM3, find the lyric on the bottom, fix it, re-export the MIDI (be sure to embed tempo map), replace it in the CON, done!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Awesome! Should I be loading the "Custom RB3 Template" first, or is MIDI importing a more direct thing?

The latter. Step A:

Step 2:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Thanks! I'm definitely getting MIDI files open at this point. Still can't find lyrics anywhere though... most I got was a chart that had "Phrase" markers. It was on the bottom half of the screen, kinda split horizontally into two parts. Hmm. I should probably check out a tutorial or something, the amount of options in Reaper is pretty daunting!

That was probably the right chart. To make sure, double-click the red area of PART VOCALS:

Then make sure the bottom part of the MIDI editor (piano roll) says "Text Events", and you should see lyrics:

edit: I use REAPER 3.x, because REAPER 4 broke some RBN stuff when it came out and I haven't bothered to see if they're fixed yet. Also, I totally have a paid version on my home PC, but I'm too lazy to import my license here at work.

pksage fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 30, 2013

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

The T posted:

And so the question is... how do we actually get to the docs?

For now, you need a VPN login key to get at the site. Once the dust settles from this initial rollout, we'll see if the docs are public anywhere and see if they can be made public if not.

Worst case we can stand up a mirror somewhere.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Another Reaper question: how exactly should I be saving the modified MIDI? I've been using the "Export Project MIDI" command, but when I swap the resulting file with the original .mid and rebuild in Le Fluffie, the package shows up as corrupt in the Xbox dashboard. Tried the process again to make sure the only thing I changed in the package was replacing the .mid file, still no dice.

I saw you ask this on The Other Forum, sorry I didn't answer you there.

Your export MIDI window should look like this (note "embed tempo map"):

Otherwise, the problem may be your tool. Try replacing in Modio or one of the other tools; the new Le Fluffie still has some bugs.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Today's C3 releases (5/3):

Guns N' Roses 4-pack
  • Guns N' Roses - "It's So Easy"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Mr. Brownstone"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Paradise City"
  • Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O' Mine"
Queensr˙che - Promised Land full album
  • "I Am I"
  • "Damaged"
  • "Out of Mind"
  • "Bridge"
  • "Promised Land"
  • "Dis Con Nec Ted"
  • "Lady Jane"
  • "My Global Mind"
  • "One More Time"
  • "Someone Else?"
Promised Land bonus releases
  • Queensr˙che - "I Am I/Damaged" (same as individual tracks but uninterrupted, as on the album)
  • Queensr˙che - "Damaged (Rhythm Version)" (rhythm guitar on Keys)
  • Queensr˙che - "Bridge (Rhythm Version)" (rhythm guitar on Keys)
  • Queensr˙che - "Lady Jane (Rhythm Version)" (rhythm guitar on Bass)
  • Queensr˙che - "One More Time (Rhythm Version)" (rhythm guitar on Keys)
We're also starting a "Community Spotlight" feature, where we highlight good or up-and-coming customs that we haven't released (yet). Check the blog post for more info!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

DancinBrud posted:

Can't believe customs creators are actually putting out full albums. That has to be just an insane amount of work.

The guy who did this particular album (and does the majority of our non-GHtoRB3 releases) is insane. Authoring customs is pretty much just...what he does.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

The T posted:

All 4 G'n'R songs are "From the Vault". They are slightly updated, however.

Yep. If we release a song as "From the Vault", it's songs that are already out there, but have now been officially vetted by the C3 team and are included in our database. This doesn't mean they're error-free, because our QA kind of sucks, but it does guarantee all instruments, all difficulties, etc.

In particular, I think Paradise City got a lot of clean-up and newly added Pro Keys?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Over on The Forum That Shall Not Be Named, look for "Now soliciting playtesters!" in Authoring Tools, Support, & Advice.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

I'm sure the C3 dudes have their hands full with the important stuff, but yeah, their "mature" labeling has been off. They listed "Given Up" by Linkin Park as Mature, but it doesn't show up that way in game (and the actual song audio is the clean version anyway :v:).

I am personally responsible for 100% of those ratings, which are done at the last minute before shoving a blog post out the door. I "sanitize" the data a bit so that the DB looks more consistent than the actual data is. :ssh:

Given Up was my bad, though, thanks for the catch! (fixed)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
If I remember from the Creators forums, that was the main issue; Rock Band 3 won't accept release dates before 1960, period. They went with the release date of the compilation it's on, or something.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Lord Zedd posted:

But if you are like me and hate staring at all the furry poo poo (And that chat sidebar that redirects to some spammy site nowadays)

TrojanNemo of the C3 team made a version of Le Fluffie that strips out all of that and has some other helpful features (album art converter, automatic package creator). You can get it right here.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Psh, impatient? We're just continuing the fine Hamronix tradition, son.

C3 releases for 5/10:
  • Audioslave - "Like a Stone"
  • Audioslave - "Show Me How to Live"
  • The Beatles - "Rain"
  • Neil Young - "Rockin' in the Free World"
  • White Lies - "Farewell to the Fairground"

Once again, props to Orange Harrison for his awesome work on multitrack extraction!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Are there limitations on what type of songs can be included in the same .dta file? I've consolidated different categories of songs, but it's still amounting to about 16 con files, which is annoying to move around when I end up doing a cache rebuild. If I could maintain a single .dta, and just add to it when I want to change something, that would be great.

I don't think so. The official export packages (RB2 export, etc.) are all one big DTA.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for May 17:

New! Pantera Cowboys from Hell 4-pack (farottone)
  • Pantera - "Cemetery Gates"
  • Pantera - "Cowboys from Hell"
  • Pantera - "Cowboys from Hell (2x Bass Pedal)"
  • Pantera - "Primal Concrete Sledge"
  • Pantera - "Primal Concrete Sledge (2x Bass Pedal)"
  • Pantera - "Psycho Holiday"
  • Pantera - "Psycho Holiday (2x Bass Pedal)"
New! Singles
  • ABBA - "Money, Money, Money" (RyanHYK)
  • Electric Light Orchestra - "Don't Bring Me Down" (Nyxyxylyth)
  • Ho-kago Tea Time - "Ichigo Parfait ga Tomaranai" (LyokoFreaks)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
edit: nope I am dumb it was for something from the '90s

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Also, however you set up your flash drive shuffle, make sure your current cache/save data/etc. are all backed up somewhere, just in case.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
We've also just put up a mirror of the official RBN docs, which were free to the general public until the recent Creators downtime:

http://pksage.com/rbndocs/

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Brocktoon posted:

Are there any good indie customs? Pavement, Superchunk, Modest Mouse, Archers of Loaf, that sort of thing?

I'm not sure, but I can tell you that a good number of my customs will fall under this umbrella whenever I get off my rear end and actually make them.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
The C3 releases for May 24 are all covers! Nyx's releases are "from the vault", but the rest are brand new:
  • Angra - "Wuthering Heights" (by Kate Bush) (farottone)
  • Bonnie Tyler - "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" (by CCR) (farottone)
  • The Damned - "Eloise" (by Barry Ryan/Paul Ryan) (Nyxyxylyth)
  • Faith No More - "Easy" (by Lionel Richie) (farottone)
  • Gary Jules - "Mad World" (by Tears for Fears) (farottone)
  • Hugo Montenegro - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" X (from the film, composed by Ennio Morricone) (Nyxyxylyth)
  • Pantera - "Planet Caravan" (by Black Sabbath) (farottone)
  • Sinead O’Connor - "Nothing Compares 2 U" (by Prince/The Family) (farottone)
  • William Shatner - "Common People" (by Pulp) (Nyxyxylyth)

X denotes Pro Guitar/Pro Bass.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
"Hardware Store" doesn't really need a final-tier rating for actual engine difficulty, since you can just hum and it'll work. If it were given a 5- or 6-dot rating, it'd be for trying to actually enunciate all of it as you suggest, and how to rate vocals is a matter of some contention.

OH, we gotta fast-track that bad boy for C3, Weird Al is one of the biggest omissions in Rock Band. :colbert:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for May 31, 2013:

New Singles
  • The Cure - "Friday I’m in Love" (EvilCornbread)
  • The Hives - "Walk Idiot Walk" (GHtoRB3)
  • Imagine Dragons - "Radioactive" (GHtoRB3)
  • The James Rocket - "Paper Valentines (RB3 version)" (Markleford)
  • As made famous by Lustra - "Scotty Doesn’t Know" (TrojanNemo)
  • Rob Simonsen - "Photos Every Day" (TrojanNemo)
  • SCANDAL - "Queens are trumps" (LyokoFreaks)
From the Vault Singles
  • Alkaline Trio - "I Found Away" (GHtoRB3)
  • The Killers - "Somebody Told Me" (GHtoRB3)
  • Muse - "Starlight" (GHtoRB3)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Interesting that they're announcing tomorrow and not closer to E3, but I'm not complaining! :dance:

What's the over/under on it being for 360 vs. Xbox One?

edit: VVV Oh yeah, mobile. Don't they have multiple new IPs? If this one is mobile, odds are the next one is console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
IIRC they have 3 unannounced new IPs right now (not sure of the source on that, though), so I'd imagine it's a mobile game, a Facebook game, and an Xbox One game. I could see this one being mobile, and the Xbox One title being rolled into the Microsoft press release, since they're trumpeting a bunch of exclusive game reveals for that.

• Locked thread