Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Orange Harrison posted:

It would be considerate for them to announce the songs that can't be saved before they are removed from the store.

They said they're going to try to do that in the future when possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

pksage posted:

Pretty sure, but not entirely sure, on these:

Songs that were pulled or never formally released, but still play if you have them
Metallica - Blackened
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Airbourne - Runnin' Wild
Snoop Dogg - Snoop's Upside Ya Head
Miley Cyrus - Party in the U.S.A.
(a bunch of RBN songs)

Songs that will not play in RB3 even if you own them
Die Toten Hosen - Hier Kommt Alex
Oasis - Rock 'n' Roll Star

Songs that don't export to RB3
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (cover)
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills (cover)
Journey - Any Way You Want It
Metallica - Battery
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

2 things:
Party in the USA was never actually released, it was included but blocked out in the first release of the Miley Cyrus pack (it didn't include license flag or something and just didn't display it in the song list iirc), so it couldn't be played until your Xbox was modded, which ignores the license flag. They replaced it with a fixed pack later that day I think, that just removed the actual song data.

Dani California and Black Hole Sun are unplayable in RB3 unless you have TU5, they won't work on retail or TU1-4.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

TU1 was put out a day or two before release, I'm not sure what it fixed!

TU2 came out a month or so later and fixed the roadie amp crash bug: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210000&page=1

quote:

There is a plan to release another update in the near future to address numerous other items, but these were the most pressing issues that we wanted to target as quickly as possible.

• Arena 12 Freeze (aka The Roadie Amp Loading Screen of Death) – If the amp loading vignette occurred immediately prior to an especially resource heavy venue it had the potential to cause a freeze. Your band should now be able to load their gear uninterrupted.

• Save Data Affected By Especially Long Band Names – Custom / Random Setlists specific to artists with especially long names (most notably Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives, The Presidents of the United States of America, etc) that were not completed before playing through to the next auto save could result in corrupted save data.

• Iron Man Eyebrow Freeze in Character Creator – The Character Creator would sometimes seize up when reselecting the default eyebrow for the Iron Man pre set face. All eyebrows are now safe.

• Pause Scoring Exploit – To prevent abuse of repeated pausing mid-song to pad a score, we now disable score reporting on any song in which a player repeatedly pauses. Your crowd meter should go grey and you will not be able to complete any goals or achievements tied to score during that play through.

TU3 fixed a whole bunch of poo poo: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214418&page=1

quote:

GAMEPLAY CHANGES

The audio distortion (also referred to as a buzz, hiss, or squawk) that some PS3 Keyboard players experienced has been addressed.
For users experiencing trouble deploying Vocal Overdrive in certain audio setups, OD can now be deployed using the Back button on the controller. NOTE: this only works while in a valid Overdrive deploy section.
Overdrive can now be deployed using a Pedal with both the Mustang Pro Guitar and the Keyboard peripherals.
Scoring is disabled after a song has been paused multiple times (this prevent players from artificially inflating scores using the pause function).
The translucency of the track surface has been adjusted to make note gems are easier to see against the venue backgrounds.
Based on fan feedback, limited functionality for the Stage kit has been added to Rock Band 3. Please note that this 3rd-party peripheral is no longer officially supported, so we cannot guarantee full functionality with every file format (RB3, Pro-DLC), but basic functions should be reenabled.

ONLINE CHANGES

PS3 Voice Chat not properly working with headsets has been remedied.
Audio no longer distorts for remote players when whammying sustains in an online session.
To prevent blank tracks from appearing in online multiplayer, all members in an online multiplayer band must own the Pro upgrades to play a song with DLC pro upgrades.

MUSIC LIBRARY AND STORE CHANGES

Pro Guitar songs now sort themselves into the correct difficulty tiers.
Pro upgrade availability will now be more accurately reflected in the Music Store.

The following songs are now correctly appearing in the Music Library.

Anvil - 666
Anvil - Metal on Metal
Anvil - This is Thirteen
Dinosaur Jr - Pick Me Up
Dinosaur Jr - The Wagon
Guess Who, The - Hand Me Down World
Guess Who, The - No Time
Tenacious D - Rock Your Socks
Avenged Sevenfold – Afterlife

PRACTICE MODE CHANGES

An issue that prevented holding sustain notes on keys in the trainers has been addressed
Breakneck Speed now works in Practice Mode.

CRASH FIXES

Fixed a Character Creator crash related to a particular eyebrow asset or the generation of a random character.
Fixed assorted minor crashes, as well as minor scoring and text bugs.

TU4 fixed some minor scoring issues on pro guitar between the Mustang and Squier
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218664&page=1

TU5 disabled customs and this: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225612&page=1

quote:

While there are several legal and security tweaks going in (which we won’t be able to address specifically, but honestly shouldn’t alter your RB3 experience in any way), there are also a few changes to gameplay that address some requests and comments we’ve received from the community since the last update.

• Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun” and the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Dani California” will now be available in Rock Band 3. These were songs from the RB1 disc that were not previously available via export, but thanks to some music licensing magic you’ll be able to play these fan favorite tracks in RB3. These songs should be visible to anyone that previously imported RB1, but if you have additional questions related to export you can consult support articles here.

• We’ve corrected an issue where playing combinations of “Surfing with the Alien,” “Satch Boogie,” “The Hockey Theme” and “Caprici di Diablo” in a set list resulted in a crash.

• We’ve added an additional filter option for songs in your library. In addition to sorting by lighter rating, this new option will allow users to hide 1 Lighter rated songs that you don’t want to see in your set list, which should allow for more effective organization of the growing library of RB content.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Here's an article:

http://videogamewriters.com/harmonix-and-sparking-the-dlc-revolution-with-rock-band-60524

While Drake couldn’t speak on the specifics of the Guns N’ Roses negotiations, he did elaborate that sometimes Harmonix wouldn’t have the final say in what songs appeared in the Rock Band franchise. “It’s usually a pretty back-and-forth process, but we don’t usually get unfettered access to tell them what we want,” he says. “And that’s how we sometimes end up with songs that don’t always seem like the most natural choices, like not having ‘Flagpole Sitta’ and having a different Harvey Danger song instead."

:smith:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The T posted:

I didn't even do that. The cache is independent of profile, so you don't need to be signed in to build it.

As far as custom authors go, then, are there authors who have good customs worth checking out, who aren't already on C3?

Whoever did this masterpiece :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kuc9HZVuSk

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Keep any official Harmonix stuff off the site, IMO. I'd hate for this thing to die because of that. They're easy enough to find anyway.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

omg Sleep Walk :3:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Speaking of that, I have no idea what they were doing with Possum Kingdom's distortion solo in the RB guitar chart.

and speaking of thaaaaaaaaaat
https://twitter.com/BluntManGuy/status/328242186141458432/photo/1

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

These later revisions fixed the split strum bar so that they go in opposite directions IIRC.
The original ones had them both go in the normal direction, so if you were strumming both sides upwards using your two fingers it often would drop strums because one of them would still be detected as being strummed up.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm guessing they can probably be repacked as a custom, though I don't really know how any of that works.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Orgophlax posted:

Soooo a couple of the Harmonix PR people are freaking out about a poster on ebay. I know Drake and co. are showing off a new game somewhere, anyone know if it was related to that? I'm not finding anything scandalous searching ebay.

They're freaking out about the There Will Be Blood Mondo poster that was released today, sold out in about 45 seconds, and dozens were immediately put on ebay for 4x the cost.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

This is not unexpected especially since they're going from a PPC to X86 based architecture.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

ApexAftermath posted:

Software emulation. There isn't really any good excuse for them to say "we simply cannot technically do this".

You would need a machine that's magnitudes more powerful than what we've got at this point, the most complex a system is the more difficult it is to emulate it without using a crazy amount of power.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yeah, I called them out as totally broken and OP for 99% of the songs in the game before the game even came out. They certainly could have handled the change better, maybe by bumping up the others to compensate rather than just completely nerf the overpowered one, but oh well.

And yeah, there's a bunch of scores that will never be beaten now.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

ixnay posted:

Didn't they reset the flame note scoring after tournaments ended to how it used to be?

Huh, guess they did in late March:
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233095&p=5001417&viewfull=1#post5001417

Guess I'll boot it back up again sometime!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Hier Kommt Alex is the best of the list and it doesn't work in RB3.

Moving to Seattle and Bullets&Guns are worth grabbing.

The rest, meh.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

"Harmonix is announcing a new game tomorrow (it’s not @RockBand or @Dance_Central). Stay tuned for the exciting news!"

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Heads up:
"For those asking, Fantasia: Music Evolved's soundtrack will feature classical music alongside contemporary hits. Stay tuned for more info!"

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Minidust posted:

What's the best bet for a replacement drum pedal these days? I'm hoping it's easier than getting a 5-button guitar... :ohdear:

Looks like they're still making Omega Pedals:
http://www.omegamusictechnology.com/products/omega-pedal

Also the Destroyer Pedal:
http://www.rockbandpedal.net/

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They're made from actual drum pedals so they should hold up pretty well.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Nyxyxylyth posted:

I bet there will be at least one really sweet song.

Oh nice I've been waiting for some Sweet Apple forever

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Oh gross, U2

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dance Pattern, Jam it in the Hole, Clusterfuck!, Gay Bar Part Two, Witchy White Women, and I Buy the Drugs would all be solid picks, playing-wise. I also love Synthesizer.

Edit: Why stop at a 3 pack, why not a 12 pack?
I can also give you the cover I commissioned from their kickstarter when it arrives, it's a cover of one of my favorite RB songs and would prolly be rad :3:

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 3, 2013

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

But what about Hall and Oates' "Maneater"?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

DancinBrud posted:

Are you serious about "Maneater"? It's tough to think of a better song for them to cover.

Yup, I will share it with the world when I get it.
And I couldn't think of a better song for them to do either, the lyrics cover devil women, it has sexy sax solos, they seem to like using backup vocals a bit now, and is a rad as hell song all around.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Drums seem like the easiest to do if you have the isolated stems and hardest if you don't.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Yaaaaaay more Beatles and some Mother Mother and some Tegan and Sara and 2DCC yaaaaaay

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

:siren:Licensing updates!:siren:

This is the track that will be pulled from the store on August 28th:

T.Rex - Bang A Gong

These are the songs that will be pulled from the store on September 30th:

The Janitors - Get Your Rock On
Locksley - All Over Again
Locksley - Don't Make Me Wait
Locksley - She Does
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Snow (Hey Oh)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Tell Me Baby
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Apache Rose Pea****
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Breaking the Girl
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Funky Monks
Red Hot Chili Peppers - I Could Have Lied
Red Hot Chili Peppers - If You Have to Ask
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mellowship Slinky in B Major
Red Hot Chili Peppers - My Lovely Man
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Naked in the Rain
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Sir Psycho Sexy
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Suck My Kiss
Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Greeting Song
Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Power of Equality
Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Righteous and The Wicked
Red Hot Chili Peppers - They're Red Hot
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge

Locksley Pack 01
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik Album Pack

:siren::siren:DEFINITELY GET THE LOCKSLEY PACK IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT:siren::siren:
Seriously, the Locksley pack are some of my favorite songs to play on everything.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

pksage posted:

edit: I wonder if we really lost the license for "Get Your Rock On", or if Harmonix is just pretending we did because lol Nickelodeon. :tinfoil::v:

Well there was that whole mess Viacom/Harmonix split soooo

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Oh hey I'll be there tomorrow probably, I got to go to PAX for all of 10 minutes before being dragged away for lunch. Then a live stream of a thing. Then the kickstarter party.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Welp, they can't all be winners.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

My guess: Michael Jackson

My dream: Ted Leo and the Pharmacists or Screaming Females

I dunno why Harmonix stopped doing crowd vocals, maybe it just wasn't worth paying Wavegroup for the tracks anymore who knows

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The T posted:

Beat It is on C3 (care of GH:WT) and Jackson 5 are in Rock Band.

Yeah well The Beatles were in Rock Band but I'd still gladly take/be surprised by a George Harrison pack :colbert:

Also we don't know if customs even count for this

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

pksage posted:

I'm gonna sit down with Nemo and YouTube tutorials and stuff pretty soon and get myself up to speed. I'm not a stranger to this kind of thing, I just don't know the helpful "try this thing first because it's the most likely to work on this type of song" stuff. Experience, basically.

Is tomorrow still the supposedly rad 11 (or 12) song pack?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

C'mon pksage. Disappoint me. Do it.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Raaaaaaaaaad pack

Orgophlax posted:

No Trapped in the Drive Through? Cmon...

Also, what does c/o <company> mean?

They adapted charts from Lump/Beat It/Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The T posted:

The only that makes me go :( is now wanting the originals to songs that aren't in Rock Band, like Gangster's Paradise and Ridin'. I wonder how similar they'd be to base on the Weird Al versions...

Well those wouldn't be that hard to adapt anymore since the charts are already available...

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dr Zaius posted:

That's ok because neither are great songs.

Yeah that's right, gently caress American Pie.

Edit: has there ever been talk of making the packs available as a single download? Kind of stinks downloading 12 tracks individually. I know it's not a big deal, but the inverse is true as well and not that hard to pack them into one con file and offer that. Just a friendly suggestion I'm sure you've discussed already.

I brought this up to PK, but it's easier for them to update songs with issues when they don't have to also worry about updating the packs as well, getting the first 150ish songs I wanted kinda sucked but now it's painless to click a few extra links.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

pksage posted:

Thanks for all of the Weird Al praise, everyone! Seeing people actually care about our releases is what keeps us going. :3:

I downloaded them all except I'll Sue Ya (didn't really like it much) and Another One Rides the Bus (doesn't really seem particularly fun).
Thanks for all your hard work, babe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

farottone posted:

10 print "NO"
20 print "HE IS NOT"
30 GO TO 10

Seriously what kind of wizard magic are you doing because you are insane