Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (AKA Fighting and Tits: The Manga) is a comic about a bullied high school boy named Kenichi that decides to learn martial arts. Completely lacking any talent, he eventually meets a girl named Furinji Miu who punches and kicks dudes like a pro. Due to generic plot progression nonsense he needs to learn some of those punches and kicks really fast, so Miu introduces him to the residents of Ryuzanpaku, near invincible masters of their respective martial arts. Kenichi then procedes to punch evil dudes who then decide that evil is totally overrated before joining up with Kenichi to punch other evil dudes, and so on. As you can clearly see, this is a groundbreaking story the likes of which has never been told before.

Whoa, that sounds terribly generic. Why should I bother?
  • Kenichi's growth is really presented well. He's forced to struggle for every little power up and it makes for good reading.
  • The fighting is illustrated and explained in a way that's very entertaining.
  • The supporting cast is fun to watch. They grow along with Kenichi and aren't entirely useless.
  • Reports indicate that some people like the occasional titty in their fighting karate dude comics. Other reports indicate that the people from the first report are creepy and smell bad.

Whatever, just stop thinking about it for a second and look at these

OK, I like the part where that one guy punched a shark. Tell me who I'll be reading about.

Main Characters

Kenichi Shirahama:

Your standard high school kid learning how to punch dudes good. The fact that he has no talent at all is a running joke throughout the comic. He's shounen as gently caress, so basically he's good at standing up after getting his poo poo kicked in and making friends with the bad guys after eventually winning.

Miu Furinji

Grand daughter of the invincible superman Hayato Furinji and the primary source of tits in Fighting and Tits. Her parents are dead (or are they). Likes cats. Wears reactive body armor that explodes outwards to defend against punches, kicks, strong breezes, and/or nothing at all.

Masters of Ryouzanpaku

Hayato Furinji:

The Invincible Superman. Creator of the legendary 108 techniques. Master of ancient martial arts. He's pretty much the only person that the other masters are afraid of and is the de facto leader of the bunch. Has never been defeated. Garyuu X's biggest fan.

Akisame Koetsuji:

The philisophical Jujitsu master, he is an accomplished artist and surgeon on top of the whole kicking lots of rear end thing. He has converted his entire body into pink muscle which is a thing that's totally not made up. Devises a lot of training machines for Kenichi that border on cruel and unusual.

Shio Sakaki:

100th degree karate blackbelt which is also a thing that's totally not made up. Destroyer of stairs. Drinks and gambles a lot.

Shigure Kosaka:

Master of all things sharp and/or pointy. Daughter of the swordsmith who was closest to uncovering the secret of the steel when he died, whatever the gently caress that means. She wasn't even in the original comic, but with the publisher's titty quota rapidly increasing, she was considered a necessary addition when it restarted.

Apachai Hopachai:

Death god of the Muay Thai underworld and all around cool dude. May have a minor case of severe brain damage. Gets along well with kids and animals. Had a pet tiger at one point. Has killed Kenichi by accident a couple of times.

Kensei Ma:

Master of all Chinese kenpo and unrepentant pervert. Also his brother is evil. Not much else to say since his entire character is 'Chinese, pervert, and has evil brother'.

Supporting Cast
Did Kenichi take more than 3 chapters to kick your rear end and/or do you have comically large tits? Welcome to the supporting cast! There's quite a few but posting them would contain a lot of spoilers and I want this post to be new reader friendly, so I'll just post the only one that actually matters.

Mysterious Teenager Garyu X:

A member of an ultra secret sentai team, nobody knows the true identity of this youthful 20 year old. Able to split his vocal chords in two to talk to two different people at once. Capable of limiting his power to an exact percentage of his full strength on a whim. Who is this mysterious youth?

So I heard there was an anime?
Yeah, and it was pretty decent. The animation budget was very low and it shows, but it faithfully follows the comic and is paced fairly well. It only skips one or two short and completely inconsequental arcs. Even if you read the comic I would advise watching the last few episodes of the anime because they were very well done.

If you already watched the anime or just finished it on this thread's recommendation, then the next comic you want to read is this one:
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/historys_strongest_disciple_kenichi/v17/c144/6.html

What about the recent OVAs?
They're bad. Don't watch them. Half of them are really stupid filler and the other half are paced so badly that they aren't worth watching. Also, the animation budget hasn't improved since the anime, so gently caress it, what's the point?

I'm a regular reader and I want to tell you just how much I hate the fanservice!
Shut up. It's one thing to post 'God drat, the last few chapters have been nothing but tits. Where did the awesome fighting go?' It's another thing to rant about how much you hate that there are tits in an otherwise great chapter about dudes punching each other. Learn to tell the difference or just ignore it like most of us.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Just looking to clarify the fanservice discussion, using the latest chapter as an example.

I can say "Every Miu panel is from a ridiculous perspective" and it's okay, but I should probably delete the 30 paragraph essay detailing how those few panels have set feminism back about 30 years, right?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Kuroyama posted:

Just looking to clarify the fanservice discussion, using the latest chapter as an example.

I can say "Every Miu panel is from a ridiculous perspective" and it's okay, but I should probably delete the 30 paragraph essay detailing how those few panels have set feminism back about 30 years, right?

If you feel the need to comment on the level of fan service in this chapter at all then this comic probably isn't for you either way. After the latest chapter I think acceptable posts would include 'god drat' and 'holy poo poo these last three chapters have been the best thing since the Apachai arc'

Not that I'm making rules or anything. Do whatever but don't be obnoxious about it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Miu was in this chapter? :confused:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zereth posted:

Miu was in this chapter? :confused:

Her tits were. Yes.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I love the salary man and wouldn't mind a comedy spin off featuring him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Good Citizen posted:

If you feel the need to comment on the level of fan service in this chapter at all then this comic probably isn't for you either way. After the latest chapter I think acceptable posts would include 'god drat' and 'holy poo poo these last three chapters have been the best thing since the Apachai arc'

Not that I'm making rules or anything. Do whatever but don't be obnoxious about it

It's entirely possible to both like the comic and dislike the fan service. The last chapter however was pretty awesome with the fighty stuff though and fan service was held to a couple panels.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Gyges posted:

It's entirely possible to both like the comic and dislike the fan service. The last chapter however was pretty awesome with the fighty stuff though and fan service was held to a couple panels.

I agree and that's pretty much the point of the whole OP with a few jokes thrown in.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I was just trying to include the latest chapter and make a quick joke about the fanservice that did appear.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
The general manga reading public's take:

quote:

I wish those 2 girls at the last panel would go all out and use both of their hands, if you know what I mean :)
My take:

quote:

I don't know, at the speeds they're moving, left unsupported, there'd be a lot of tissue tearing :\

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/519

New Kenichi. Have at it, see ya'll next week.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I didn't care for this chapter because it concentrated on the least interesting characters and the least interesting matchup. I wish we could have seen more of Siegfried/Hermit.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I do kind of admire the artistic chops it takes to draw a fight between two girls clad only in speed lines without any technical nudity. Truly a master of his craft.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I thought the bit with Chikage was great, Hermit vs. Sig went about how I expected, and the fight between Castor and Renka was silly. I feel that Renka exists sort of in a world like Miu where at any time when it is required they can stomp any other disciple. At least in this segment Miu's fight had some meaning for her character growth, Renka vs. Castor was just gratuitous.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The bit with Chikage was kind of disappointing because didn't Kisara say she was about to "figure something out" a few chapters ago? I was expecting her to pull out something new but I guess not.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sindai posted:

I do kind of admire the artistic chops it takes to draw a fight between two girls clad only in speed lines without any technical nudity. Truly a master of his craft.

Well, speed lines and what looked like fire lactation.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
God, MangaPandas updates are worthless. When will I learn to tough it out for a few days until the Manga Stream scan drops?

Really bummed we didn't get to see more of the Hermit/Siegfried fight. I would have gladly given up a page or two (or more) of the Castor/Renka fight to see more of Siegfried in any circumstance.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Skipping past the obvious complaints, the ends for those fights were pretty abrupt. Like Sindai mentioned, it's pretty disappointing that whatever Kisara was on about just got skipped/forgotten. Chikage's part was ok, though, I guess. At least something finally happened there.

Whatever, there's no more fights left besides Salaryman vs Kensei so lets get on with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Skipping past the obvious complaints, the ends for those fights were pretty abrupt. Like Sindai mentioned, it's pretty disappointing that whatever Kisara was on about just got skipped/forgotten. Chikage's part was ok, though, I guess. At least something finally happened there.

Whatever, there's no more fights left besides Salaryman vs Kensei so lets get on with it.

Chikage's scene was really Kenichi's victory. Proving the worth of katsujinken, and all that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sieg continues to be the best. The women continue to lactate flashes of light.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sindai posted:

Not really given that he just Ken and Barbie'd them any time it got awkward, and used random puffs of air most of the time he didn't do that. Still though, I thought their fight was interesting because Rachel was making her moves less powerful but flashier for an audience that wasn't there and got kind of bored when she realized no-one was watching, then got embarrassed because she was seen using dull if powerful moves. That, and the whole "kung-fu is more powerful when done in happiness and supported by friends" thing could have made the fight cool if they were played up more in favor of cheesecake I think personally.

I don't mind though, because I've been waiting for Chikage to come over because of Kenichi's friendship and not because she was physically beaten for ages now and this pretty much confirmed that's what's going to happen, even if not for another while. It might not have suited everyone to have the fight go that way, but it's certainly what I've been waiting for.

genki
Nov 12, 2003

tsob posted:

I don't mind though, because I've been waiting for Chikage to come over because of Kenichi's friendship and not because she was physically beaten for ages now and this pretty much confirmed that's what's going to happen, even if not for another while. It might not have suited everyone to have the fight go that way, but it's certainly what I've been waiting for.
Plus, I mean, come on. How exactly would they portray Chikage getting beaten in a physical match? Punching little girls just doesn't look good, no matter what context... power of friendship is the only way she can be beaten at all, pretty much.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

genki posted:

Plus, I mean, come on. How exactly would they portray Chikage getting beaten in a physical match? Punching little girls just doesn't look good, no matter what context... power of friendship is the only way she can be beaten at all, pretty much.

Gotta admit, this is probably the one, single instance I can think of, in all my manga reading/anime watching, where the power of friendship defeating your opponent is actually well done.

God Dammit, Shaman King.... god dammit...

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/520

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

That should have been cooler considering what was happening. Oh well, hope it leads to something good next issue

Metalocalypse
Jul 29, 2006
New Kenichi is up. http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/521

Those last few panels, poor Tanaka done lost his mind.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
Why is Tanaka's wife Ba Renka? :confused:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

furushotakeru posted:

Why is Tanaka's wife Ba Renka? :confused:

I was wondering that myself. Was really confused for a second. If this were a different series I would say it didn't matter much because she's probably dead, but this series being what it is she's probably just estranged and waiting to be reunited with Tanaka.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

cafel posted:

I was wondering that myself. Was really confused for a second. If this were a different series I would say it didn't matter much because she's probably dead, but this series being what it is she's probably just estranged and waiting to be reunited with Tanaka.

The series doesn't really have a problem with tragic back stories just tragic now stories.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Metalocalypse posted:

New Kenichi is up. http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/521

Those last few panels, poor Tanaka done lost his mind.
I am going to be sad if he always calls that hotline because it has a recording of his wife's voice and she's dead so thatnow that's the only way he can hear her voice :smith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nahxela posted:

I am going to be sad if he always calls that hotline because it has a recording of his wife's voice and she's dead so thatnow that's the only way he can hear her voice :smith:

I think he's just crazy/in denial

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Woah. That was a lot cooler than I thought it would be.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'll admit, I did not see that coming at all.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'll admit, I did not see that coming at all.

Yeah, this was actually a pretty cool direction for that character's story and I didn't see it coming considering how long (almost 200 chapters) it had had been built up.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, this was actually a pretty cool direction for that character's story and I didn't see it coming considering how long (almost 200 chapters) it had had been built up.

Considering he was present for maybe 10 of those chapters... I wasn't expecting him to be built up at all.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Considering he was present for maybe 10 of those chapters... I wasn't expecting him to be built up at all.

His arc has definitely been pretty obvious though even if it was mostly off screen. He came to the D of D tournament specifically looking for Ogata, he met up randomly with Kenichi and Miu at the bank robbery and returned to Ryozanpaku to find information on Ogata, and then he came back to Ryozanpaku again looking for Ogata and I think saying point blank that he was he going to kill Ogata.

My prediction is that Tanaka goes crazy for a while, Kensei narrates how he murdered the wife/child to drive Tanaka into super-crazy land (and so the audience hears the story), Kenichi rescues Tanaka from the killing fist, Ogata expresses his disappointment and prepares to kill Tanaka, someone (Elder?) from Ryozanpaku shows up and saves Tanaka/Shinpaku.

Otherwise Tanaka dies but realizes his mistakes in his dying moments and reaffirms Kenichi's will to follow the living fist to prevent these things from happening ever again.

Either way I think I have all my bases covered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ogata only cares about martial arts, though. I don't really see him killing any babies. Most of the other fists, sure, but he is a different brand of crazy.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ogata only cares about martial arts, though. I don't really see him killing any babies. Most of the other fists, sure, but he is a different brand of crazy.

I'm thinking during Tanaka's (first?) fight with Ogata that Tanaka's pregnant wife intervened and was critically injured which led to both her and maybe the child's death. The language in the last chapter kind of hints towards this in my opinion as the Elder stated that she had conceived his child not that she had given birth.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
He's shown he has no problem killing anyone who challenges him. He said it just before Kenichi and his friend started to fight him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
http://www.mangapark.com/manga/Historys-Strongest-Disciple-Kenichi/c522/1

So.....that's the darkest thing in this manga by far.

As hardcore as the Satsujinken are, killing a pregnant woman probably falls under "never under any reason" .I cannot believe that was planned out 400 chapters ago when Ogata was in the woods carving Buddha sculptures when Kenichi first met him. If it was, its some long term planning. The whole point of this fight can't be anything other then Ogata pushing Tanaka to the necessary limits to kill him, so he dies at the hands of the person he most wronged.

• Locked thread