Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
There exists no plan too perfect that the Elder can't ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Don't wanna cloooose my eyyyyeeeeees...

molokidan
Apr 22, 2010
Last boobs ever on Sept. 17th.

http://cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-08/kenichi-the-mightiest-disciple-manga-to-end-this-month/.78510

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

And apparently the announcement of a big project.

Wonder what that is.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Welp I guess in that case maybe Elder really is dead for real. :ohdear:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Mike Gallego posted:

And apparently the announcement of a big project.

Wonder what that is.

History's Strongest Journeyman

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Hmm, that's a bit disappointing because it felt like we were getting to a part where even more cool poo poo was gonna happen regularly. As much as I joke, this manga was actually fun to read and I'm gonna miss it, and am a little disappointed that it's going away before loving Naruto even does.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Big announcement about a big project.

Three years later the worlds largest breasts adorn the Tokyo Skyline.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
The last issue will be fully-clothed women and nothing but hardly concealed cocks. Just to balance it all out.

Zadus Rejan
Nov 9, 2011

GodFish posted:

History's Strongest Journeyman

Don't give us hope for nothing

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Penultimate issue :(

http://www.mangapanda.com/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/582

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
This seems fairly sudden. Kensei never got eaten up like most of the other bad guy masters, Shigure's brother got introduced right at the end and did nothing, etc.

I wouldn't mind a sequel series. :shrug:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

In a complete twist Miu is the only girl that didn't end mostly naked! Holy poo poo! (The female knight clothing damage is particularly hilarious).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah that spread is pretty much HSDK.jpg.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hahaha every single woman at the end there just marching away naked.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KoB posted:

Hahaha every single woman at the end there just marching away naked.

How else did you think it would end.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I have not been able to follow the story with Miu's dad at all. So he was just faking being evil this whole time? Is he a good guy now?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ethiser posted:

I have not been able to follow the story with Miu's dad at all. So he was just faking being evil this whole time? Is he a good guy now?

More like the evil guy was faking being him. Don't think about it too much. It's dumb.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

More like the evil guy was faking being him. Don't think about it too much. It's dumb.

Yeah I got the disguise part but where has he been this whole time? I'll just accept it as a dumb thing.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
I have no clue what Ma did to the bewitching fist.

I just assume he used some skill to blow her clothes away?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kave posted:

They all needed to be naked but she still had most of her clothes. Therefore,

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kave posted:

She was trying to escape and he grabbed her by her clothes to prevent it. If only she would have been naked that wouldn't have happened. Clothes strike someone down again!

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
This has been one of my favorites but Matsuena has really been mailing it in recently when it comes to art. All the bodies have weird perspectives and proportions, even on non ecchi panels. More likely they've been outsourcing most of the art to the lowest bidder as it winds down, perhaps he's been working on a new series.

I'm sad it's ending but it's better end on a relative high note. I look forward to the epilogue next week, hopefully it will be cool.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

At least it ended with Niijima doing the troll dance of his people.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

furushotakeru posted:

I'm sad it's ending but it's better end on a relative high note. I look forward to the epilogue next week, hopefully it will be cool.

I have a feeling that it will be ok, but rushed. I have a feeling that I'd rather just have 9 2-page spreads for desktop wallpapers than whatever happens next week.

I hope I'm wrong!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ethiser posted:

I barely understood it as well. :(
But basically his best friend suddenly appeared and was really the evil one. Was that guy even mentioned before all this?

This arc ended well enough despite the problems, it just doesn't feel like an ending to Kenichi's story. I still really wanted to see him face off against Berserker. :shrug:

At least the elder lives. He's still awesome.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Just read the series from start. I liked the early and middle parts, but kinda felt let down in the end due to excessive bloat with sub-par subplots of which some where not even really fully explored. Got the wish-washy happy ending, but felt contrived and besides Kenichi's, the final fights were lackluster.

Best character in the series? Shigure's mouse.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah I think that DoD was the peak for me. It was still good for a while after that, but not quite as good.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I will go ahead and say Kenichi's final fight was his most awesome.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

dazoner posted:

I will go ahead and say Kenichi's final fight was his most awesome.

Respectfully disagree, but that's the internet for you. It was rad that he won but a complete asspull to suddenly invent this classification of ki mastery level three chapters before the end of the (540+ chapter) series that they had never mentioned once before, simply so that they could show Kenichi somehow skipping over the middle level and becoming a ki master for no reason whatsoever. The theme throughout the entirety of this series is that Kenichi has no talent and succeeds only through hard work and extreme endurance, and any time Kenichi started talking about how he was getting better the Ryouzanpaku masters outright laughed him into the ground and reminded him that he has no talent and was nowhere near competent much less master class. That has nothing to do with his final fight, it was more along the lines of a Naruto Power of Friendship (TM) (oh and by the way it healed his opponent too for reasons) moment.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

furushotakeru posted:

The theme throughout the entirety of this series is that Kenichi has no talent and succeeds only through hard work and extreme endurance,

And also through access to the single strongest group of people in the world who dedicate most of their free time to working together at shaping him into a master martial artist

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

furushotakeru posted:

Respectfully disagree, but that's the internet for you. It was rad that he won but a complete asspull to suddenly invent this classification of ki mastery level three chapters before the end of the (540+ chapter) series that they had never mentioned once before, simply so that they could show Kenichi somehow skipping over the middle level and becoming a ki master for no reason whatsoever. The theme throughout the entirety of this series is that Kenichi has no talent and succeeds only through hard work and extreme endurance, and any time Kenichi started talking about how he was getting better the Ryouzanpaku masters outright laughed him into the ground and reminded him that he has no talent and was nowhere near competent much less master class. That has nothing to do with his final fight, it was more along the lines of a Naruto Power of Friendship (TM) (oh and by the way it healed his opponent too for reasons) moment.

I dunno man, Kenichi has always been able to put together what he has been learning and figure out how to apply it when he's at his final fight for an arc. And we always get a flashback of him learning of a technique, especially when it comes to the elder teaching him about chi flow.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The final battle in the DoD was the best final fight in the series both thematically and story wise and I refuse to hear otherwise.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Honestly, series hasn't been as good since the end of the school arc, where he fights Odin using the styles of all the masters. Best Anime moment too.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Odin was the best poo poo if you just like Kenichi fights and DoD was the best for the supporting cast.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ethiser posted:

The final battle in the DoD was the best final fight in the series both thematically and story wise and I refuse to hear otherwise.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Honestly, series hasn't been as good since the end of the school arc, where he fights Odin using the styles of all the masters. Best Anime moment too.

Both of you are right.
I loved the anime, it's the only reason I read the manga.

Dervyn posted:

Best character in the series? Shigure's mouse.
You misspelled Nijima.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
He fought for gender equality by stripping to his underwear despite not being a woman. A true hero. :patriot:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I suspect that the series ending might have been in the cards behind the scenes for a while, though we may not know the exact reasons why (I dunno what sales are like, so I won't presume, and its always possible the author just wanted to be able to do something new). But when you look over how things have progressed since the battle at the island really began, it fits. Almost all the major enemies are there and almost every major character gets a chance to fight, with a sudden mass turn by the weaponless group (or whatever the proper name was, apologies) so they can have some degree of redemption before they finish up. And of course, Kenichi suddenly being pronounced as capable of a master level ki - even just for a moment - because the series won't have the space to let him actually get there otherwise.

Plus, well, the 'war' that had been hyped up is now over after a single battle, because Ryozanpaku and co proved the strength of their ideology, or some such. Toss in a convenient mention of school being the next day, and it does come off as contrived to end things quick.

But, being fair, twelve years is a pretty good run for any series to have, especially for one that started about a guy with no martial arts prowess and would take ages to see regular competence in his skills. If it ends now, I'm at least satisfied that I saw Ken go from quivering at the sight of a knife, to willingly grappling a sword. That's good character development.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

I suspect that the series ending might have been in the cards behind the scenes for a while, though we may not know the exact reasons why (I dunno what sales are like, so I won't presume, and its always possible the author just wanted to be able to do something new). But when you look over how things have progressed since the battle at the island really began, it fits. Almost all the major enemies are there and almost every major character gets a chance to fight, with a sudden mass turn by the weaponless group (or whatever the proper name was, apologies) so they can have some degree of redemption before they finish up. And of course, Kenichi suddenly being pronounced as capable of a master level ki - even just for a moment - because the series won't have the space to let him actually get there otherwise.

Plus, well, the 'war' that had been hyped up is now over after a single battle, because Ryozanpaku and co proved the strength of their ideology, or some such. Toss in a convenient mention of school being the next day, and it does come off as contrived to end things quick.

But, being fair, twelve years is a pretty good run for any series to have, especially for one that started about a guy with no martial arts prowess and would take ages to see regular competence in his skills. If it ends now, I'm at least satisfied that I saw Ken go from quivering at the sight of a knife, to willingly grappling a sword. That's good character development.

I'd say way too many plot threads were just dropped, either he got the chance to end it or it was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

KoB posted:

I'd say way too many plot threads were just dropped, either he got the chance to end it or it was cancelled.

So do we know what the next project is? May be a continuation. Or not. Who knows.

• Locked thread