Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah thanks! I'll poke around in the Bonsai thread a bit to see if it's come up there.

Otherwise kinda tempted to experiment a tiny bit with 'irish moss' and/or micro clover when it's all said and done.
On my lemon tree they would just amount to reaching the first set of leaves when fully grown.

Apparently moss spores are a thing you can buy too, though moss explicitly wants a lot higher humidity than I can provide, so it might be better to just go with something more grassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Yeah I think you're almost certainly going to end up using bonsai techniques like regular watering with a misting spray bottle to keep the moss/groundcover alive while also not saturating your main plant. Pain in the rear end imo

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Can I get a plant ID please? I'd like to nurse this poor beleaguered plant I was gifted back to health if possible. 😫

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Looks like an Echeveria, maybe 'apus' variety

Like most succulents, overwatering is the easiest way to kill them. And that soil looks really heavy, so that'd be my first concern

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What's a good place to buy wild flower seeds native to your area?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PookBear posted:

I went with https://www.edenbrothers.com/store/wildflower_seed_mixes.html

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Local or regional seed exchanges/cooperatives.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PookBear posted:

Googling "native plant sales near me" should get you some good leads. Might be tough this year though. There's a nature sanctuary near me that does a native seedling sale every spring as a fundraiser, but not this year.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

There's also Prairie Moon Nursery if you can't find local things. They have individual seeds, seed mixes, and bare root plants/bulbs. I never had much luck with the seeds, but I probably just didn't stratify them properly. (If you don't know, many temperate wildflowers need a period of cold, moist conditions in soil in order to break dormancy and germinate.) I gifted my mother a few shooting star bare root plants and they did well for her. I think they're more focused on the midwest, they have a lot of midwest natives but not a lot of the Western things.

Their website lists the ranges of different plants on a per-county basis (probably aggregated from some federal list or something) which can be helpful in determining what would be good. You'll want to think about the sun it'll get (full sun, part shade, full shade), the water (moist, mesic, or dry), soil type (sandy, loamy, or clay), and temperature range if you're going perennial.

You'll have to be a little careful too, some natives can be quite aggressive; a lot of perennial sunflowers have that reputation, as does the purple passionflower. Properly managed they might be ok, but they can form large monoculture clumps and take over flower beds.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eeyo posted:

There's also Prairie Moon Nursery if you can't find local things. They have individual seeds, seed mixes, and bare root plants/bulbs. I never had much luck with the seeds, but I probably just didn't stratify them properly. (If you don't know, many temperate wildflowers need a period of cold, moist conditions in soil in order to break dormancy and germinate.) I gifted my mother a few shooting star bare root plants and they did well for her. I think they're more focused on the midwest, they have a lot of midwest natives but not a lot of the Western things.

Their website lists the ranges of different plants on a per-county basis (probably aggregated from some federal list or something) which can be helpful in determining what would be good. You'll want to think about the sun it'll get (full sun, part shade, full shade), the water (moist, mesic, or dry), soil type (sandy, loamy, or clay), and temperature range if you're going perennial.

You'll have to be a little careful too, some natives can be quite aggressive; a lot of perennial sunflowers have that reputation, as does the purple passionflower. Properly managed they might be ok, but they can form large monoculture clumps and take over flower beds.

Perennial sunflowers? Holy cow. Are there any varieties that come in multiple colors like annual varieties like Autumn Beauty or Evening Sun?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Perennial sunflowers? Holy cow. Are there any varieties that come in multiple colors like annual varieties like Autumn Beauty or Evening Sun?

Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't gone looking for them. At some point there was some research in crossing annual sunflowers (Helianthus annuus) with perennial ones (Helianthus tuberosus aka the Jerusalem artichoke) to make an improved oilseed variety, so it's probably not impossible. But whether somebody has made a non-yellow perennial sunflower I'm not sure.

The flower heads are not as large as an annual sunflower, they're closer to 2-4", see for example Helianthus mollis. I think the wild varieties of annual sunflower are probably close to that as well, but they've had the benefit of many years of breeding at this point, starting from their domestication by the Native Indians in North America.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everyone should grow Helianthus tuberosus. They’re delicious, ten dollars will buy an unreasonable number of tubers from the grocer, and they grow like weeds.

Common sunflowers have a reputation for going feral, but these are on another level.

Hirayuki posted:

I received two happy little tubers from a fellow goon two seasons back. Those two have graduated into fairly ginormous pots, and all their babies have taken up another four pots all by themselves. No flowers on mine yet, but check back a few months back in this thread for more photos from a fellow recipient of this floral good fortune! They're very cool plants, and I can't wait for mine to pop their leaves.

I got my bulbs. They’re little things, the largest being maybe thirty millimetres across. I immediately potted them up in wet soil because they seemed a little dessicated.

I since learned that getting them wet while they’re dormant is generally discouraged, but either because they liked the drink or it was just their time, they’re now rapidly growing petioles.

Now I have A. paeoniifolius on order. It’s a highly collectible family.

I’m even considering buying the big swinging dick of flowers, Amorphophallus titanum. Sure, it reaches titanic proportions, and it doesn’t go dormant, so that’s a bit of a problem since I can’t grow it outdoors and I don’t have a suitably sized greenhouse. However, it will take several years to get to titanic size, so that’s a problem for future me. If I wanted to slow its growth, I could always take cuttings for propagation, which is, surprisingly, a thing that is possible, despite the plant technically having one giant leaf.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

I’m even considering buying the big swinging dick of flowers, Amorphophallus titanum. Sure, it reaches titanic proportions, and it doesn’t go dormant, so that’s a bit of a problem since I can’t grow it outdoors and I don’t have a suitably sized greenhouse. However, it will take several years to get to titanic size, so that’s a problem for future me. If I wanted to slow its growth, I could always take cuttings for propagation, which is, surprisingly, a thing that is possible, despite the plant technically having one giant leaf.

lol I think Im heading down this road too. Once I planted that Arisaema I've really fallen in love with it. I think both those and Dracunculus are going to be my buying theme next spring (unless I can find some great deals in the interim of course). Was pleasantly surprised to learn that they do very well in this climate, as I had long just assumed that they were quite tropical

Pushed the zone boundaries a little bit yesterday by planting Abutilon in the sunniest section of the shade area. I think it would have been happier in truly full sun, but since I'm in its marginal zone, I need the branches of the oak above to protect it a little from the sky during winter to keep it from getting too cold

I feel like my town is a Cold As gently caress 7a, so I'm always really suspicious of stuff that grows in the hardiness margins, so I expect some die back even though I've seen it very successfully grown outside relatively close to me. I would love for it to make it though, such a beautiful and unique plant. I've gotta make some microclimates here for sure but I think the wife will soon kill me if I spend any more time or money on plants this season rofl

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone have any good recommendations for plants (preferably perennials) that smell bad to animals (I mostly see squirrels and chipmunks) for zone 6b? I have a big full-sun bed and I went out there this morning to find that something had gnawed half of the leaves off of my newly planted Sedum telephium before having a go at an unidentified Sempervivum. Both of the plants it tried to eat have red leaves but I don't know if that's a sign of some specific kind of animal or just chance.

My current plan is to mix in alliums and maybe some lavender and hope that helps but I figured some of you might have more interesting ideas.

Oil of Paris posted:

Pushed the zone boundaries a little bit yesterday by planting Abutilon in the sunniest section of the shade area.

These are gorgeous.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Remember this big beefy boy?

It has survived my bouts of neglect and begun to flower!

I still don't know what it is!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Canna

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for plants (preferably perennials) that smell bad to animals (I mostly see squirrels and chipmunks) for zone 6b? I have a big full-sun bed and I went out there this morning to find that something had gnawed half of the leaves off of my newly planted Sedum telephium before having a go at an unidentified Sempervivum. Both of the plants it tried to eat have red leaves but I don't know if that's a sign of some specific kind of animal or just chance.

My current plan is to mix in alliums and maybe some lavender and hope that helps but I figured some of you might have more interesting ideas.

These are gorgeous.

Thanks so much! Let's hope I don't kill the poo poo out of it lol (this will certainly happen)

My big recommendation for critter repellent is always a border of marigolds. even though theyre annuals at least they self seed pretty hard throughout the season and a flat of them is dirt cheap

Perennial wise, a really solid option would be to get some of the nicer catmint cultivars (walkers low comes to mind) which will dominate wherever you plant it but wont take over the entire garden like regular mint. They have a pretty serious spread so watch out for how close neighboring plants are but pests fuckin HATE THEM and they would make a pretty impenetrable barrier of mint stink

Hardy lantana would also find into this same boat but its a beast and will get very big, you'll have to keep it under control throughout the growing season. I havent seen it self seed at all but it makes a giant, meaty bush that without fail needs to be trimmed back like twice each year. You cut the woody main stems down to the ground after the season ends

Perennial salvia I think is kind of a bitch to grow well and hasnt thrived for me but rabbits hate it. Coneflower will also do the trick and is very conducive for a predictable border plant, though a mass planting would definitely be expensive

A woody and significantly more expensive option would be to intersperse the shadiest edge with illicium if you can keep it happy and well watered there until it establishes. I'd look for a dwarf cultivar if possible or just resign yourself to pruning

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

My big recommendation for critter repellent is always a border of marigolds [...]

Thanks for the reccomendations! I know marigolds are the go-to but there's something about them I just can't stand.

I'll definitely dig into available catmint cultivars as their care requirements suggest they might do well there. I don't think I have room for lantana and I'm afraid illicium would get annihilated by the sun unless I watered the poo poo out of it which would make everything else unhappy (most of the stuff in that bed wants things on the dry side).

While I was poking around I found this weird tiny Japanese garlic that's supposedly evergreen at Plant Delights that may or may not smell enough to deter pests but seems like an interesting plant to grow anyway.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So remember about a month and a half ago when I said I needed a couple of Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer motion-activated sprinklers to keep cats from making GBS threads around some apple trees in my yard?

Well I finally just now got to where I’m able to afford to buy them, but apparently somehow in that intervening 6-week timespan, they have become completely impossible to find anywhere, and the prices on the few that ARE still available have loving skyrocketed! They originally only cost like $70; now they’re going for upwards of $160 a pop! That’s more than double what they should be!

:bang:

What the gently caress gives!? Are these things being discontinued forever or something, or am I gonna have another chance to get two of them at non-outrageous prices a little bit later?

Also do any of y’all happen to know a place where I can find a new Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer at a decent price right now, without having to wait for availability to improve or prices to go back down? I don’t ever buy anything used or refurbished, no matter how broke or desperate I am; it HAS to be brand new, and I’d prefer it be that exact product and not something similar made by another company since I’m happy with the other Orbit sprinkler I got awhile back and I don’t want to have to go searching for reviews on anything else. I don’t trust cheap Chinese knockoff poo poo either, so none of that.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 3, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s the pandemic.

Quarantine kickstarted garden projects that people would have put off till next year or whatever.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

So remember about a month and a half ago when I said I needed a couple of Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer motion-activated sprinklers to keep cats from making GBS threads around some apple trees in my yard?

Well I finally just now got to where I’m able to afford to buy them, but apparently somehow in that intervening 6-week timespan, they have become completely impossible to find anywhere, and the prices on the few that ARE still available have loving skyrocketed! They originally only cost like $70; now they’re going for upwards of $160 a pop! That’s more than double what they should be!

:bang:

What the gently caress gives!? Are these things being discontinued forever or something, or am I gonna have another chance to get two of them at non-outrageous prices a little bit later?

Also do any of y’all happen to know a place where I can find a new Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer at a decent price right now, without having to wait for availability to improve or prices to go back down? I don’t ever buy anything used or refurbished, no matter how broke or desperate I am; it HAS to be brand new, and I’d prefer it be that exact product and not something similar made by another company since I’m happy with the other Orbit sprinkler I got awhile back and I don’t want to have to go searching for reviews on anything else. I don’t trust cheap Chinese knockoff poo poo either, so none of that.

It looks like it's in stock at ace hardware for $73. It says it's available to ship to home. Not sure what they're shipping charges will be like but at least it claims to be in stock:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/watering-and-irrigation/above-ground-sprinklers/7347404

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

It’s the pandemic.

Quarantine kickstarted garden projects that people would have put off till next year or whatever.

Yeah, it's this. Online nurseries are getting slammed as well.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Platystemon posted:

It’s the pandemic.

Motion Activated Sprinkler + Fertilizer Injector + Capsaicin Extract = automated defense turret

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Thanks for the ID! :) It's putting out more flowering stalks so I'm excited to watch the show

My partner brought home a rosemary plant from the grocery store and I've managed to put it at death's door in just 2 days :negative: Overwatering, I think.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Once they reach a certain age/size they're impossible to kill, I find. I hope it recovers!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

anatomi posted:

Once they reach a certain age/size they're impossible to kill, I find. I hope it recovers!

I feel like almost any plant can get love watered to death

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I usually kill plants by forgetting to cat-proof them.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Almost ran this over with my mower. Any ideas what it is? 6b

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kind of looks like some variety of spiderwort/tradescantia?

Or maybe a calla lily or jack in the pulpit?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Kind of looks like some variety of spiderwort/tradescantia?

Or maybe a calla lily or jack in the pulpit?

I could see it being some variety of spiderwort.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rexxed posted:

It looks like it's in stock at ace hardware for $73. It says it's available to ship to home. Not sure what they're shipping charges will be like but at least it claims to be in stock:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/watering-and-irrigation/above-ground-sprinklers/7347404

Kickass, thanks! Just bought a couple from here.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

It’s forty‐five bucks and I am so tempted.

All the experts say it’s hard.

quote:

The cultivation of the Titan arum in botanic gardens is very specific. it requires a conservatory with a roof height of at least 5 meters and it needs to maintain a high temperature and humid conditions (see below). The cultivation of Titan arum is therefore not particularly suitable for the beginner, amateur or botanic gardens with minimal glasshouse facilities.

quote:

Critical attention also has to be given to air humidity. A. titanum suffers particularly in summer and if air humidity falls under a critical level the leaf edges start to drop down. Experience has shown that air humidity should be 80–90%. air humidity is especially important during antheses, because the spathe will wither faster, if air moisture is too low. it should be as high as possible, with a minimum of 80%.

from The cultivation of Titan Arum (Amorphophallus titanum) — a flagship species for botanic gardens

But this guy just has a few just chilling in his apartment:

quote:

This is the space that it lives in (obviously not that exact spot). Heat has never been an issue and I hardened it off from high humidity when it was much smaller. It still has the occasional signs of insufficient humidity, but continues to grow every year nevertheless. I can't wait for my gigas and decus-silvae to get that large.

quote:

I hardened them off to a lower humidity when they were smaller. The only thing I do now is occasionally mist the tops to remove dust.

quote:

While not super difficult to grow they are much more finicky than paeoniifolius.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

It’s forty‐five bucks and I am so tempted.

All the experts say it’s hard.

from The cultivation of Titan Arum (Amorphophallus titanum) — a flagship species for botanic gardens

But this guy just has a few just chilling in his apartment:

It would be badass if you can pull it off. I do think that that guy probably got lucky, I've heard of even really reputable places having great difficulty in getting them to be successful. It might not be possible for them to get big enough to bloom in that environment?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Almost ran this over with my mower. Any ideas what it is? 6b

Agree with Kaiser on calla lily, glad you didnt mow it down! Excited to see what it does

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Someone else said it looked like epipactis helleborine. I don’t think it fully looks like it, but going to keep an eye on it anyways and see what it does.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've only started growing flowers in the garden last year. I've previously focussed onlearning to grow food, but my wife asked for some more flowers. So I tried growing petunias, and it worked really well. So this year I picked up a couple different varieties to try out.
Check out these guys. A couple different double blooms, and a trailing variety.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

This bodhi tree cannot survive temperatures below 10 degrees celcius, otherwise the roots rot, so I kept in inside most of the year and recently took it out to the balcony. Almost immediately several of the leaves bleached themselves. I think maybe it wasn't used to the brightness and temperature changes of being outside and became unhappy. I put it under a little table and that seemed to help, though maybe it's just gotten used to being outside? It seems to have stopped, at least, but it still seems pretty unhappy, should I move it back inside?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea sunburn is a thing if you put them from inside to full sun outside without any adjustment period. You need to expose them to increasing amounts of sun over a week or two.

Not sure about this one in particular, since if your little table solution has been keeping it mostly shady it may still need this adjustment

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Mulberries are cool and hard to kill. I've had one shipped under six inches tall and go through temperature swings that burned the two big leaves off and I was so sure it was going to burn to death, less than a week later and new leaves are sprouting in spite of yet another temperature swing.

Gonna have a lot of super delicious high vitamin c fruit with no shelf life in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

One of our grapevines is blooming!!! The flowers are so un-dramatic for such a dramatic fruit.