Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Today was exciting because I noticed the Mimosa pudica seeds I planted a couple days ago have sprouted! I grew one last year in regular dirt and it did ok, but this year I want to use :science: to try to turn them into giants. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

EagerSleeper posted:

How big do you want them? Whenever I saw them outdoors, they were always less than 2 cm in height and the whole plant occupied maybe the same space as an apple along the ground. I can only give the vague advice of "Full sun? Don't water too much? Maybe?" Good luck on your plant, they seem like they'd be awesome houseplants to have!

Hmm, I'm not sure about the ones you saw outdoors. The one I grew last year got to be about 1-1.5ft tall. I was hoping for advice on fertilizer or something since I've never really used it before. Is there some general kind I could try or does that vary by plant?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Five of my Mimosa pudica seedlings ended up being healthy. They seem to be doing well.

Today is a good day, because my Synsepalum dulcificum (aka miracle fruit plant) arrived! :dance:

The stalk is about 5.5" tall since it is ~9-10 months old. It looks pretty healthy to my untrained eye and I hope I can keep it that way until it bears fruit. What size pot should I plant it in?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

:ohdear:

Some leaves on my miracle fruit plant have a reddish color to them, and others are changing from the good green it had when I got it. Is this just transplant stress or is something wrong with it? It was in the mail for 10 days if that matters.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Boogeyman posted:

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can put on hostas to prevent deer from eating them?

If you set up a salt lick it might distract it and keep it away from your plants. It could also attract more deer and make your problem worse. :v:

In other news, my miracle fruit plant seems to be doing better! I set it up with a partially ventilated plastic bag over it to boost the humidity since I'm growing it in zone 6. It stopped dropping leaves and has a few new bits of growth. I wish I knew for sure if it was the bag that helped or if it just got over transplant shock.

edit:
Also, my Mimosa pudica plants are about ready for new pots. :3:

Tremors fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 25, 2013

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

My mimosa pudica have started producing seeds if anyone would be interested in trading. I like weird/unusual plants so pm me if you want to swap. As a side note, the plants are looking a little sad now. Is this a side effect of letting them try to make seeds? I'm not sure if I should bother bringing them in to try to overwinter them if they've pretty much spent themselves.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Kenning posted:

This is Drosera allantostigma, a pygmy sundew from Western Australia. It's a handsome plant and one of my favorites.

I'm curious if there are any sundew types you would recommend that mature to adults the fastest from seed. I've always thought they were neat plants but I'm also impatient. :v:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I got my mom this blue spruce topiary for mother's day. Is there anything special we should know about it?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

unprofessional posted:

Expect two to three inches of growth a year once it really kicks in. Make sure you take your time and really clean all the potting mix off the roots and spread them well. It looks a little overpotted, so it might take some work (soaking it in a bucket for a half hour can make it a lot easier). Plant it even with where it was planted in the pot and enjoy. Looks like a nice plant. It won't even need trimmed (or take well to it), as it's a spruce.

Thanks for the tips. Since you seem to be a bit of an expert on all things coniferous, I'm hoping you can tell me what to do with a tree in my backyard. It seems like the past couple of winters have been harder and harder on it and it takes a while to green up. I'm thinking it's finally done for since every needle on it is half brown. Is it possible to save it? If not, would removing it damage the other pine tree next to it?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

My newest baby arrived yesterday. It's a three year old Synsepalum dulcificum (Miracle fruit). It's covered in little flower buds so I definitely should be getting some fruit this year!

The root ball is about 5.5" in diameter right now so I'm guessing I should find a 7 or 8" pot for it, right? I've also read that they love acidic soil (4.5-5.8pH) and some places recommend using 50/50 sphagnum peat/perlite. Would that mixture achieve what I need? I looked at some at home pH meters but from what I've seen they are all garbage and you should send your dirt away to a lab for testing. Is there no easy way to monitor and maintain my soil pH, or will it not fluctuate very much to begin with?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

My Synsepalum dulcificum is fruiting! :toot:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I got two new plants recently. :3:

Drosera binata var. dichotoma "Giant" that just arrived today. (Any tips, Kenning?)

Dog-tail cactus I saw at walmart and just had to take home. I hope it does well enough to flower.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Kenning posted:

D. binata is a great plant, extremely robust and vigorous in my experience. If that is in fact dichotoma Giant then it will get big. To get it to its full potential you're going to want it in like a 12 inch pot. Also, same as other sundews – as much light as you can possibly give it, pure water, and regular feeding once it dews up again. Good luck! Also, unless you really want to see some flowers, cut the stalk before it blooms – most clones are not self fertile.

Can I drop it in a 12 inch pot now or should I gradually up size it?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I went to check on my miracle fruit plant today and found three ripe berries! :neckbeard:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

This is probably a silly question but are there any neat plants that do ok with little natural light? I'd like to get something small for my desk at work but the most it would see are the fluorescent ceiling lights... Are there any compact grow lights that anyone would recommend?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Sun Dog posted:

Mine is still alive, has added four or five leaves. Can't wait for fruit! How old is this thing? How long do I have to wait?

(This is the same picture I already posted from when I got it. Sorry, no current picture, I really should take one.)

The nursery I ordered it from said it was 3 years old. I believe they can begin fruiting at 2.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Carolina reapers, chocolate bhutlahs, peppers that are shaped like dicks, and cherry peppers. This summer is going to be interesting. I'm going to be growing some of them on my apartment balcony and was considering going with something like this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Viagrow-...18?N=5yc1vZc60q Would 5 gallons be big enough?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Deverse posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying this plant. Or at least rule out poison sumac.

My guess is some type of peony.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I haven't kept succulents before but when you come across a plant that looks like a bunch of hellish monster mouths you don't pass it up. The label says it's Faucaria tigrina.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I found these guys chilling on my miracle berry plant outside. Does anyone know what they are and if I should be concerned?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I have a miracle berry plant that I believe has a case of scale bugs. I'd rather avoid removing affected areas of the plant; what's the best topical method of dealing with them?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

I bought two Tacca chantrieri rhizomes back in April and around the first of this month one of them woke up and started doing its thing. Here's a picture of them both today.

The one on the left has been getting the same treatment as the one on the right. Is there any reason it's taking so much longer to do something and is there anything I can do to encourage it?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

anatomi posted:

If you're unlucky the rhizome might've simply decayed. But chantrieri is a bit unpredictable. Maybe it's just taking its time. What are the conditions, temperature, humidity, soil, like?

Temperature in the house has been around 70, unsure of the indoor humidity but outside it's been averaging 60%. Everywhere I read said they needed very well drained soil so I went with a cactus/succulent mix and put in some extra perlite.

In other plant happenings, I stumbled upon a giant monstera hiding in a greenhouse that had to come home with me. They said it was a year old clipping from a six year old mother plant. My house's conversion into a jungle is going just as planned.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Eeyo posted:

Hello plants thread,

What do you think this plant is? It has some pretty distinctive flowers. Also the leaves look a bit like fat pot leaves.

There's a little patch between my sidewalk and the road that's "gone feral" as it were, and this thing popped up.

I take a lot of pictures of flowers and send them to my girlfriend, but I thought this one was pretty neat.

I believe this is a cleome.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Sure! How do we get in touch with you?

Also interested!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wanna get a (couple of) ficus lyrata plants because every one I've seen in person looks like this:

Problem is, the store I went to only had ones that looked like this:

What's the deal here? I honestly thought that ficus lyrata just grew naturally into the shape in the first picture, but I guess not. The ones at the store also had a green asparagus like bark, not wooden like the first picture.

If I bought ones that looked like the second one, how much time would it take to turn it into something resembling the first one? How exactly do I make it grow like this? Pictures, videos, YouTube, with clear examples would be very nice. Whenever I search for "pruning" on YouTube I always end up with either videos about marijuana, or videos narrated by Indians speaking a language that I swear is not English (I don't mean that in a negative way, I seriously don't think those videos I'm thinking of are in English and not because of the accent).

The top picture required snipping the growth tip in order to cause the plant to branch out and then defoliating the trunk. Be warned that fiddle leaf figs are probably the most fickle plants I've ever tried growing at home. If things aren't perfect they'll be more than happy to let you know.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Shout out to listrada for shipping me some voodoo lily bulbs! I can't wait to get them in some dirt. :3:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Came across a Nepenthes alata today; my first time ever seeing a Nepenthes at a nursery! Who was I to tell it that it couldn't come home with me? The guy I talked to said they need bright indirect light and decent humidity. Any special treatment needed to get it to produce more/bigger pitchers?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Thread, I need some help! I have an orchid cactus living outside for the summer and I just discovered that wasps have taken up residence deep within the curling branches. Will chemical wasp killer harm the plant? If so, how do I get rid of them? Due to the plant structure, removal of a nest would be slow and delicate work not quite possible until the little assholes are dead.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Take a deep breath and trust your tree is going to do its best. Worrying over every little detail and minute change is only gonna drive you mad. :)

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Anyone ever grow Dutchman's Pipe? I bought a house last year and am not a fan of the ivy stuff that came with it. It needs to come down so we can repaint but I was looking for alternatives to plant that will still give the porch some privacy.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Costco had a pack of Acidanthera 'Murielae' bulbs. The flowers looked cool so of course I bought it. Now I need to figure out what to do with 120 bulbs. :v:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

My "Norse Fire" columnea decided to put on a mid-winter show I have to share.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

One of my voodoo lilies decided to surprise me with it's first ever bloom! The thing was 5" tall yesterday, and nonexistent a couple days before that. Hope it doesn't smell too bad cause it's still too cold to put it outside.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Ooh! How can you tell it's a bloom and not just a regular leafstalk? I just repotted mine in roomier digs (and with rich soil) and was pleased to see even the tiniest babies that popped up last year were starting to wake up. I'm also waiting for it to warm up outside, because I'm running out of room in the one indoor place all these drat pots will fit. :/

You can see the general shape of the spathe if you look closely. If it were the leaf section it would look a bit more otherworldly at this point.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Soooooon.... (I think)

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

It is bringing forth a mighty stench. Time to go outside!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Many babies were harvested this fine day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Alright goons, I bought a house that has what I believe to be some sizable wisteria vines. While the flowers are pretty, I'd rather not have a massive bee magnet near the deck since my partner is allergic to stings. Are there any suggested herbicides or techniques to get rid of it? I hear I can be quite the beast to kill. I'm in zone 6a if that matters.