Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hooray a general plant thread!

Warning, massive image dump coming. Here is a survey of more or less all the plants at my house. Just to preface this: my wife loves plants, but she also kind of has a black thumb. That is, she is a plant murderer.

I have been more or less indifferent to the plants, in that unlike my wife I regularly water everything that's outside, but I take no special care, do not perform much in the way of plant maintenance, and pretty much treat the watering of all outdoor plants the same (during the warm dry months I water as often as daily when I remember, to as infrequently as over a week without watering when I forget or am busy; during the wet months I occasionally remember to water the patio plants and otherwise don't water anything at all).

Imgur has a 50-image limit per hour for their API so here's the first fifty photos. I just kind of took 2 minutes to buzz through and around the house taking rapid photos so some of these are a little blurry. If you see anything interesting you want a better photo of just ask, I'll be happy to oblige. Also there's a couple plants here I'd love it if anyone can identify!

OK let's start indoors.

Here is a little terrarium my wife set up in one of the windows in the living room. It has orchids in it.

These apothecary jars have mossy things in them. There's also a sad orchid sitting there.

Here's a row of jars in the other LR window. Some of them have live plants and some have dead plants. All of them are dusty.

My wife got this one from someone at a frog meeting. It likes to be moist and is some kind of special rare tropical plant maybe from florida? I forget the details.

I'm told these are actually alive, although they appear to be dead.

This is an australian orchid of some kind.

This jar has a probably-dead orchid and some mossy stuff.

Happy moss.

OK, now we're going outside.

Here is a ficus I bought for my chameleon. He died last month so now it's sitting outside. I do not care if it dies, it's just a cheap houseplant, but I am still watering it.

Aloe my wife's mom gave us last month. I think I am watering them too much (almost daily) or perhaps they want more sun or less sun or acid or alkali or food or who the gently caress knows. Plants are mysterious.

A geranium which is happy and a lavender that is not. The lavender almost died due to not watering it much over the winter (it's under the eaves so it does not get rained on) but I think I have revived it this spring.

Some tall flower plant thingies that grow back all the time on the right. I don't know what they're called. On the left is millet. I did not mean to grow millet, but the bird seed feeder (just out of shot) drops seeds on the ground and some millet grew. I'm OK with that, it grew some actual millet seeds and I just added them to the bird feeder. Free birdseed!

Nopales cactus, also known as prickly pear. You can eat the young cactus leaves if you like mexican cooking. I've been meaning to try it. It also makes a fruit that turns a deep red. The fruits are packed with seeds and covered in invisible super-tiny horrible spines that you can't pull out of your flesh and are very painful. I touched one once and never again. Someday I will eat a fruit, I just need to learn how.

MYSTERY BUSH. Someone please identify this! Generally everything in this little plot out front just grew there. The previous owners removed a bunch of plants but roots have grown and stuff maybe seeded. These were not here when we moved in, but a year ago they started growing. They have a strong fragrance that is weird but not really unpleasant. I think they might be California natives. They flowered in the early spring and are still flowering a bit. Any help identifying them would be nice.

These roses sprouted from the roots that the previous owners left in the ground when they took their roses with them.

A little tree. It grows leaves and flowers each year but does not seem to get much bigger. What kind of tree is it? :iiam: so please tell me if you know.

A dwarf Improved Meyer Lemon tree we planted last fall. Meyer lemons are awesome. Also in the back right is a shrubby plant thing that makes white flowers that last for a day or two and then it makes seed pods. My wife knows what this plant is called but I forget.

My sycamore tree. I think it's a sycamore. It is a sick sycamore because it gets mold on its leaves but it still grows and stuff. Probably I need an arborist to come give it medicine and probably it also ought to be pruned? I do not know about trees.

Some kind of ornamental sage on the other side of the garage. It is super happy and loves being neglected.

OK this is our back covered porch. It is my wife's Darwinian succulent cage-match of death. She loves succulents and buys them and brings them home and puts them here and then some of them survive on me hosing them down periodically with water, and some do not. None of these are in direct sun but the patio roof is translucent so they get filtered sunlight. Few have been re-potted from the original containers. There is also a little pond thing which looks awful but is actually doing great.

A survivor succulent. This one just flowered. The one behind it is also happy. In the foreground is a succulent that did not make it.

These are stone plants I think? or something. I think they look cool.

More living succulents.

Some have shot up giant long flower-stalks this spring. These ones seem best-adapted to the deathmatch patio arena environment.

This is a cactus. That's all I know.

Another cool succulent with a visitor. Every once in a while my wife propogates a couple of these succulents by breaking off chunks and putting them in other pots. I assume the two pot-mates will eventually fight to the death.

This is my own pot of succulents. I actually potted this, with sand and then soil on top so it'd drain well, at least 6 or 7 years ago. (The mushrooms are just ceramic decorations.) Despite the dead stick parts all of these guys have lived for a long time and basically do OK.

This thing actually likes the shade and the amount of water I give it. I think I got it from my mom. It is a good plant.

My wife made these ceramic things as an experiment to see if plants will live in it. This one has been here for months and isn't dead yet so maybe the experiment is a success!

There are some weeds in the plants. I pull them out sometimes if I am feeling like weeding.

This was a bonsai that lived indoors. It survived my wife's treatment for a couple or three years but then it died. Now its corpse serves as a warning to other plants.

A bromeliad. I use broms in my frog environments. I got this one from someone and broke off a bunch of the bloomy plant brom thingies and put them in tanks a few years back. It survived and has grown back. It is not looking great right now because I let it dry out in the late winter for too long but I've been watering it freely now and I think it's going to recover.

The horrorpond. There are floating plant things that went dormant for the winter but they are all still fine and will sprout back out any day now. The green stuff is frogbit, it's supposed to be there. And the succulent is one my wife brought home that had broken off of someone's plant somewhere. She just stuck it right into the pond and left it there. It's been there for over a year and isn't dead so I guess some succulents are OK with being stuck in a pond. Who knew!

Clover is weird. All the above ground parts can be dead but you water it and more grows. These are genetically hosed with to be 4-leaf clovers.

My little pot of succulents again.

I'll post the remaining 35 images after the imgur 1-hour API limit is passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dubble-prousting to put the rest of these images up.

Alright here's more photos of my little pot of succulents. It is a jungle in there.

My father-in-law gave me this. It's still alive after a year or two but hasn't grown much. Probably it wants to be in a bigger pot or in the dirt. I think it's a tree.

This cactus is mine. It loves where it is sitting and has doubled in tallness over the last couple years. I water it regularly and it makes tons of bright red little flowers around its circumference. You can see some at the top that are going to bloom very soon.

At our old house there was this tree/bush thing that made red berries every year. I had this pot near it and whatever was in the pot died. One day a thing sprouted and I soon realized one of the berries must have germinated. So now it is growing here (3 years later).

Now we've moved out into the weed jungle back yard. Here we see the herb garden on the left.

Lavender. It likes being in the dirt.

Rosemary. This stuff is unkillable and if you don't control it it will turn into a giant hedge and take over everything.

From left to right, we have mint, oregano, and thyme. The thyme seems to die back during the winter but then grow out again.

A native plant! We planted this sticky monkey a couple years ago. It is a local native that is well-adapted to our local climate.

A redwood tree. We had our wedding outdoors, and as wedding handout things we gave everyone little pots my wife made, each with a redwood tree sapling. Most people's saplings are long-dead by now, but this one we planted when we moved here. It is doing pretty well with plenty of water. It's actually in the partial shade of the large redwood tree our neighbors have against this fence.

Some ornamental thyme ground cover we randomly put here a couple years ago. For a while a neighborhood cat was using this as a catbox. Some of the thyme is still alive, though. I don't know why my wife decided this was a good place for it.

Wild strawberry, growing in the leaf litter from the bamboo which my other neighbor grows against the fence. A few stalks have emerged on my side of the fence too, which is OK with me. This stuff blooms and bears tiny fruits regularly. We planted it less than a year ago and it's spreading nicely.

A random plant we also just stuck in the ground. It survived the winter being covered over by leaves from a tree.

Here is our patch of artichokes. We planted these two years ago. They start growing in the fall, bear flowers (you eat) in the spring, and then die off completely. I didn't realize they'd regrow when we first planted them. In the middle, a plum tree is growing. It's growing there because that's a spot I water - we have plum tree roots running all the way across the yard, from the house to under the fence to a spot where our neighbor had a plum tree that they cut down last year.

Here's the plum against the house. My wife says we need to take this one out since it's up against the foundation. I agree if it's going to get any bigger than this, but it doesn't seem to have grown that much in the last 3 years.

Here is our compost bin, which is currently situated next to the artichokes & plum.

Behind the compost bins, a huge mass of vines with lovely purple flowers has grown. The neighbor on the other side of the fence had (or maybe just used to have) these things in the ground. We replaced the fence a year ago and this stuff grew here anyway.

A weed. This is the rear end in a top hat of weeds because it's covered with horrible prickles. I can't pull this weed because the spines go right through my gloves. I just chop it down with a hoe and then it grows back. Someone tell me what the name of this horrible deathplant is, please.

These trees grow along this section of fence. They're for privacy I guess. What kind of trees are they? Someday we will probably take them out and put in native trees instead.

Here we are at the back of the house. This narrow walkway dead-ends in the fence that the big nopales is growing against, so we rarely go back here. This plant is growing here, it makes nice pink flowers but it's getting out of control and I think it is probably not native. Once again, please tell me what this plant is.

I planted a thornless blackberry back here 2 years ago. It got killed this fall when we had a big tree removed and the tree removers trampled it, but it has re-sprouted from the ground. Now I have given it a thing to climb which will hopefully make it easier to walk around it. This section gets a lot of sun and heat for a couple hours at midday, but tends to be in shadow the rest of the day. Hardy blackberry should be able to hack it.

OK back near the patio a little section I forgot. These cala lillies grow every year. I guess there must be bulbs down there. They are now dying off.

Another patch of mint we planted. This area is shaded most of the day but the mint is OK with that.

This thing keeps growing here. I think it's a kind of tree we've seen in our neighborhood. I do not want a tree here so I chop it off or yank it out and then another one grows in its place.

This was going to be this cool raised bed thing. You dig a trench in a rectangle and screw wood together and then put sticks along the wood and cut all the sticks off at the right height. Unfortunately it turns out doing the stick-placing thing is incredibly tedious so I will never finish this. Instead I think we will build some raised beds out of recycled lumber from the urban ore place over in Oakland.

And that about covers it. Thank you for looking at all my plants!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 7, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Holden Rodeo posted:

That's an oleander. It's poisonous, but it's not like you're going to turn it into salad.

Oh, awesome thanks!

I still haven't figured out the weird Mystery Bushes out front. I spent about two hours using online plant identification sites but I got lost among all the scientific details about plants and I also find that these websites are incredibly incomplete - most seem to list maybe two or three hundred plant species.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Marchegiana posted:

It's hard to tell with the pictures you have, but your mystery bushes look like they may be some variety of broom. Are they making seed pods that look vaguely like peas?

Yes! The little pods are pea-sized, but are split into (usually) four points on the top, so they look kind of... crowned? A few are five-pointed.

The flowers seem to have all been four-petaled, with four long stamens between the petals. The brush is very "fragrant", the smell sometimes is offputting but sometimes I enjoy it, so I'm kind of thrown. It's not really like anything I've smelled before so I can't describe it in a useful way.

It could be a native plant (northern California), or it could be something that previous owners had planted here - we've had a lot of stuff that they had planted, but we had no idea was in the ground, just randomly sprout and grow after a year or two of just a patch of earth in that particular spot.

e. here's some closeups I just took:

e2. On doing some reading, I now realize you were asking if it makes pea-pod like pods. Nope! I got excited reading about brooms on wikipedia, but I don't think this is a broom because it makes these individual seed things, and the flowers (while yellow) don't seem quite right.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 23, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

unprofessional posted:

Mystery bush ID: Ruta graveolens

Holy poo poo, that is totally what it is. Thanks dude!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EagerSleeper posted:

Leperflesh, you're great. I gave you a hard time on cKnoor's stream because I recognized your name. Hope no hard feelings! ;)

Haha no, definitely no hard feelings. :)

For those of you not watching LP streams on twitch TV, EagerSleeper has a friend whose computer crashes when they try to load this thread. This is obviously my fault because I posted like 70 images on the first page.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife's mom gave us three aloe plants in pots. They now seem to be dying. They're in maybe 70% sun and I water them every other day. Am I watering them too much, or do they need more sun, or both?

Also: A couple of big chunks of my nopales cactus fell off. I think it was wind or maybe they just got too heavy? My question is, after I hack off the youngest parts and boil them for food, can I just stick the rest in the ground and it will grow, like you can with succulents? Or is that not going to work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright, thanks for the advice.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Roundup is a Monsanto product, and for reasons I don't want to buy their products. What's the next-best alternative? Ideally I'd like something that won't harm critters in my yard, including pollinating insects. But I also need to kill a persistent tree-thing that keeps trying to regrow no matter how much I hack off its shoots.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given he says it's midwinter, I'm guessing "Australia."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sun Dog posted:

Yay! A Pinguicula! Also known as a Butterwort. It's insectivorous. It wants more sunlight, so it can turn nice and pleasingly pinkish for you. Touch the leaves, they're gooey and weird! :3:

It's going to be hard to give it more light: we don't really have a lot of well-lit indoor spots.

Should I give it some bugs? I keep flightless fruitfly cultures (to feed my dart frogs) so it'd be really easy to toss a handful in there occasionally: the container even has a glass lid!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have one of these! I love the way it blooms, just kind of in a ring here or there on the trunk. It's a mammillaria matudae, "thumb cactus."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kenning posted:

Awesome, that looks right! Actually I bought that cactus because I saw this picture of yours and thought it had great personality. I'd been looking for one for a couple weeks when I found it. How cool :)

Hah, right on. I don't think I've ever inspired someone to buy a cactus before!

If it helps, I pretty heavily neglect the little guy, he just sits out on the porch in moderate light, sheltered from the rain, and during the summer gets watered anywhere from daily to once a week depending on if I remember to water. He blooms pretty much whenever the whim takes him, and has grown a couple of inches in the last four years.

Enfys posted:

That one is adorable; I want one so much :3:

Yessss you get one too, the chain will continue

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have a little apple tree I bought a couple years ago and planted in the yard. Unfortunately last year when I hired my neighbor to remove a tree that was against the house, he or one of his workers accidentally lopped off the sapling (which would have looked like just a dead stick, and it's my fault for not pointing it out to them).

Now it's re-sprouting and it's sent up a bunch of shoots! Hooray! However, it looks like most or all of the shoots are coming up from below the graft.

So my question is, what is likely to happen if all I can get to grow are those below-graft shoots? Will I have a sterile non-fruiting tree or something? Is there something I can do to stimulate growth on the graft? I'm not certain the above-graft part is totally dead, but it might be.

If this tree is basically not going to make me apples, I might as well just replace it, but I thought I'd ask first.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That sounds like more effort than just buying another $30 apple tree sapling with the exact variety I want, but it's an interesting technique to maybe try out at some point.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EagerSleeper posted:

I hear that tap water that is left out in an open container for a day allows the fluorine and chlorine to evaporate out safely

This is true. However, increasingly, municipalities have switched from chlorine to chloramine. Chloramine has the advantage (from the human safety point of view) that it does not evaporate out of water quickly. This is good for keeping the microbiotic load of tap water low for longer so that (for example) water that's sat in a cistern or turned-off water heater for a while won't start growing things.

I don't know if chloramine is also harmful to this plant, but I have to treat any tap water I use with my frogs and lizards. Pet stores sell very cheap water treatment stuff; a drop or two from an eyedropper bottle will treat big buckets instantly. So that's probably a cheaper option compared to using bottled water for houseplants.

In my case, I actually buy distilled water, but that's because doing so also keeps the glass of my terrariums clean, and prevents mineral buildup in my misting systems. That's obviously overkill for watering plants, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

at the date posted:

Ponds are pits for throwing money and time into. Very nice at first, but then the pump breaks or a migrating egret sets up shop in your yard and eats all the fish and frogs, allowing mosquitoes to flourish. You have to clean the filter on it like a big fish tank except with twenty times the weight of fish poo poo, and it looks ugly in the winter. Deer will eat all the lilies anyway unless you cover the whole surface of the pond in deer netting or chicken wire. An artificial pond will be gorgeous and seem worthwhile for about three weeks out of the year (most years), but it will require a ridiculous amount of maintenance year-round.

gently caress ponds.

On the other hand, natural ponds are nifty and if you're lucky enough to have one then go hog wild with the lilies I guess.

If I ever saw a deer in my suburban back yard, that would be pretty incredible.

E.g., what I'm getting at is not everyone lives in the same environment you do? There are plenty of places where a small pond stays nice year round, or nearly so, and there aren't any roving large animals bounding onto your property.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well you can go buy a big composting setup like that you can rotate by hand and etc. but I think that's all mostly unnecessary. Composting can be as easy as finding a corner of the yard somewhere and just making a big heap of your yard waste. Keep it reasonably moist and occasionally use a pitchfork to turn it all over. After a year or so, start a second pile and start using the first pile as compost.

I went one extra step and bought a couple of huge wooden crate things that my local produce market was getting rid of for $20 each. They have lids, so I am just routinely dumping my yard waste and my kitchen compost (no meat! vegetable matter only, or you'll attract scavengers) into one of the bins. I water it with the hose each time I water my plants, just kind of soak it down for a minute, and I turn it over maybe once every two or three months. A couple years of yard waste have compacted down a huge amount, you'll be amazed how much the volume shrinks as stuff rots and compacts.

My crates are 4' cubes, and once cube is enough to absorb all the yard waste from my fairly smallish suburban lot plus the vegetable compost waste from my kitchen with room to spare. It sounds like you have a huge amount of leaves, so you might want a slightly larger setup. I've seen online people doing things using old wooden pallets, so if you know of a place you can get a few of those for free or very cheap that might be a good option for you.

e.
like this: http://www.sproutingoff.com/pallet-compost-bin/

Oh a couple things to mention, the one thing you don't want in your compost is the seeds from weeds. So I usually dump my lawnmower waste in there, but I don't do that when I've got a lot of dandilion seeds and stuff like that in the spring. Basically because the seeds that survive the composting will sprout from your compost when you go to use it in your garden. In theory the center of the compost should get nice and hot, and that should cook the seeds that are in there, but I don't trust that my setup is going to do that perfectly.

Also be aware that rotting vegetable matter is a potential source of fire. It should get up to like 90 degrees or more in the center when it's cooking nicely, but don't put it up against your house, and keep the brush and stuff around your compost bins well trimmed. It's extremely unlikely you'll have a fire, but just be aware it's a remote possibility. Keep it moist and you'll be fine.

There are tons of sites on the internet about DIY composting so just spend a couple hours doing some reading and you'll be on your way. It really is very easy and low effort.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 24, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Some kind of fig?

I've eaten loquats, they're soft like a plum or an apricot.

Zooming in it sure doesn't look like a fig though. Maybe some cross-breed plum

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is fire an option? Don't use it near a building or with any kind of ground cover that could light up, of course, but if you have bare soil, you can burn out a stump pretty effectively.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just bought myself some forearm-length gardening gloves, sized for my medium-sized man hands, at OSH.

Unfortunately, OSH's website search is clearly nonfunctional (search for any permutation of "garden glove" and get hundreds of items that aren't gloves) so you might have to just go and look around. I got mine maybe a month ago so they're probably still in stock.

e. They're "digz" brand. When I google for Digz long cuff gloves, though, I only see some women's gloves that aren't as long as mine.

e2. they're fairly similar to these

Also if you just search for "rose tending glove" you'll find lots of mens sizes. E.g., these or these.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 5, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-8l3V38Ps

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Most orchids are easy to care for indoor plants. Sometimes you need to keep them in some kind of mini-greenhouse or whatever in order to keep humidity up, but many do just fine with mostly-indirect light and occasional misting/spraying.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would try adding a different brand of potting soil to fill those pots back up, and then assume the mold is going to do its thing and let it run its course. Most likely it's consuming one particular nutrient that it really really likes, and if you just let it go for a few months it'll use all of that stuff up and then mostly die off. The mold spores are in the cabinet and in the soil and on the plant so you simply are not going to get rid of them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can buy a little stick hygrometer that will tell you how moist the soil is, if you want.

Something like this (I don't own this one, just a random cheap pick):
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Indoor-Outdoor-Moisture-Hygrometer/dp/B00CTPXXEE/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a monster in your closet.

Enfys posted:

That picture is amazing

I go out of my way to take pictures of bees. It's totally not relevant to this thread but if you would like to see some more bee pictures, just ask.

Actually it might be relevant because I'm pretty sure 100% of my bee pictures have plants in them?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bees, from 2008, with my old point-and-shoot.
Album: http://imgur.com/a/kt3kt

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, that was the little yard at the old place we used to rent, and yeah, clover. Clover is actually super good with grass, the clover plants are symbiotic - they help to fix nitrogen that the grass roots can make use of. You can continue to basically treat a clover lawn like a grass lawn, just don't mow too short, and when the clover is flowering, you will have fuckloads of bees.

I recommend just seeding your grass lawn with white clover in the spring. It wants to be wet for a couple weeks straight to sprout and get going.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Ha! Lawns..... I'm sure my neighbours hate me. I'm just happy if something is green in my yard, so no pulling "weeds" for me. Dandelions are not to be pulled. They are one of the first flowers to show in the spring, and the bees need the food. Bees take precedence over my neighbours' sense of aesthetics. Are there plants there and are they growing ok? Good, job's done. Did it go brown because we're in a drought? I'm sure it will come back in the fall. The water is for the plants that either give me food or run the risk of crushing my house if they die. Right now, my lawns are a running battle between clover, dandelions, moss, some variety of grass, various ferns, and ahuge variety of other weeds. Sounds like a healthy mixed crop ecosystem if you ask me.

This is pretty much my lawn at my house now, for similar reasons. Partly also because I intend at some point to excavate the entire thing and switch to in-ground irrigated low-water drought hardy 100% natives, because i have no use for a lawn really. But until my lazy rear end gets around to it, the green stuff growing in front of my house gets to compete in a darwinian fashion and as long as it can survive being mowed, it's fine with me. I will occasionally pull out one of those nasty super-prickly weeds just on the basis of not wanting to have to touch it if it gets really huge.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I'm in the UK, I've just checked my phone and the photos are really terrible so I'll have to describe what I'm working with. The garden is at the front of the house with a small yard at the back which will be mostly shed. Three borders, 10m x 0.5m One running along the fence, two running either side of a sloping path. Middle of the lawn there is a square 1.5m across. Under the windows there is a rocky/gravel area about 2m deep and running the length of the house. Last owner cleared all these areas and left me with a blank slate.

I was thinking apple tree in the square, it's far enough from the houses for roots not to be a problem and as the house is elevated height won't be a problem. The border and rocky area I've no idea about.

It's important how much of a freeze you get in the winter, and how much sunlight you get. I don't know if USDA (american) zone info is available, but here is a site with zone info in the UK specifically for fruit trees:

https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/growing-fruit-trees-in-the-uk-climate

e. It actually has conversion info: "Most of the UK and Ireland are Zone 8, with most coastal areas in Zone 9. The Scottish mountains are Zone 7."

So, warmer than an American might guess, but with a lot less sun than comparable zones in the US. You should definitely be able to select an appropriate fruit tree for your spot.

e2. Oh and that gravel area along your house might be french drains. If so, don't plant it, although you could put planter boxes or something on top as long as runoff from the roof can still get to the gravel.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 12, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I know this is a wild scandalous accusation but.. Why do men feel the need to keep messing with my bloody hose?

Seriously, It's a cheap fifty freaking meter hose, it has no reel and if you look at it funny the drat thing will kink. I have it layed out all around the edges of garden so that I can walk a set route without it kinking or catching on anything. It's not in the way and at no point is anyone in danger if tripping over it. It's left exactly where it's supposed to be when I'm done with it. Man comes near it and the second I turn round it's been "tidied up". which means that what I have now is a fifty freaking meter tangled mess dumped up near the tap.

It's not just one man who's done this, it's literally every man who comes near the house, apart from Mr LC who knows better, including a workman who came to do some plastering. Even the postman points at it and goes "you've left your hosepipe out love" Why?? Is this active mansplaining where they see a woman doing perfectly well on her own and have a desperate need to show that they know more than her, especially when it comes to something that looks like a giant penis??

Sorry. First the snails and then yet another half hour spent wasted untangling and putting the hose back :(

Get some little hand-lettered painted signs that say "don't move my goddamn hose" and stick them all over your garden

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Crosspost from A/T: Is there any way to keep the grass on your lawn from growing?

Cover it with landscaping plastic/fabric and then a two or three or four inches of mulch?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm looking at prices for landscaping plastic and I need to stop a few acres so it'd be prohibitively expensive.

Rent a hundred goats

Not being facetious, there are goat rentals and they're ideal for controlling grass. The area will need to be well-fenced.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been told they're much cheaper than hiring someone to bring machinery to clear brush/grass/land, but probably substantially more expensive than doing that work yourself assuming you already own the necessary equipment. But they're also by far the most environmentally friendly option, and I bet you can get a discount from a goat-rental if you're a repeat customer.

Also you get to hang around with goats, I mean, that's gotta be worth something right? People pay to go to zoos and farms just to feed the goats, right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kenning posted:

I know we have some Bay Area plant goons in here, so I figured I'd rep the BACPS show this weekend.

It's going to be a very good show! I'll be selling plants, and also doing a presentation on "Carnivorous Plants As House Plants". If you're free on Saturday between noon and 6 pm come by the Lake Merritt Garden Center in Oakland, it'll be a Hoot. If you're a goon you can say some goony thing to me and I'll get you our best plants. I'll be the tall guy at the Predatory Plants booth.

drat, I'm already committed to going to a house warming party after we do the cat adoption day thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

drat, I'm already committed to going to a house warming party after we do the cat adoption day thing.

looks like we're going after all! My wife says we'll go to the housewarming later.

Oh and hey Kenning, that guy we were talking about is gonna be there selling some plants along with his son

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cheese posted:

Everything seems designed for small, shallow planters. I can't seem to find anything built to hold pots larger than 10", which is on the small end for the larger perennials that I would like to put in there. I have not yet come across anything that looks like it will confidently support 40+ pounds.

Please make sure your balcony can handle the weight. Same with the railing. As a refugee from the Crappy Construction thread, I can assure you that many balconies are not even built well enough to handle one human being, much less a few hundred pounds of planter, wet soil, plants, and a human or two, all at once.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

How the hell do you kill lavender? :psyduck:

I should send you some of my strawberries, I had to butcher 50% of them and they still send out runners like crazy.

I'm also in norcal and I've managed to kill lavender, easily. It's as simple as failing to water it 3x a week during the summer. It gets hot here, hot and dry, and sunny, with no rain for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We've always struggled to keep our mint alive and it dies easily if we don't take care of it so I always find these mint comments weird. I think probably in our hot California climate mint is way less of an invasive mess.