Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

I need to fix this overcrowded pot. The panda plant is smothering everything, so I think I am going to let it have the pot while I move everything else out. Will I be able to just gently shake the dirt out and separate the roots? How hard is it to chop off the top of the leggy white succulent in the back and just transplant the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Do I need to prune this lemon tree? It defoliated itself after I went on vacation and didn't water it 4 months ago, and is now growing two new live branches out of the trunk.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Can anyone ID this big shrub? I saw this in a park in Ohio. It was about 7 feet tall and covered with bees. I'm looking to plant a tall hedgerow and want something that brings bees and butterflies.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

What is the reason behind a plant cultivar needing a different cultivar to be pollinated?

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/viburnum/all-glitters-arrowwood-viburnum-viburnum-dentatum-var-deamii

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/viburnum/all-glows-arrowwood-viburnum-viburnum-dentatum-var-deamii

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

So I just planted 4 3 gallon blue muffin viburnums on Sunday. I followed the instructions on the card that was attached to the plants that just said to place them into a hole and cover them with mulch. I have been reading in other places that you should break up the roots before you plant them. How important is this step, and should I dig them back up to do this, or leave them alone?

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Trip report on the redigging of my shrubs. One of the shrubs was starting to majorly wilt. The inside of all of the root balls was bone dry even though it had just rained the day before and I watered them that morning. I think the water must have been rolling off and going down the sides. They all had thick mats of roots at the bottom that I pulled apart and I loosened the dirt up in the middle. I soaked the roots with the hose and added some more dirt because I had also planted them slightly below ground level. The shrub that was heavily wilted has made a 90% recovery already.

I also learned that my plants are all cloned and will not produce berries without a different cultivar nearby with the same flowering time, despite the berries being the focal point of the pictures on the plant info card. The cultivars I would need aren't even available at the nursery I bought these at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Something is laying eggs on my viburnum. Two or three leaves get wadded together with a small amount of silk in the center with tiny black dots inside. It's not like bagworm silk where a large bag of silk is formed on the outside of the leaves. Anyone know what this is? I'll try to take a picture next time, I washed the two I found so far off with the hose.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Does it look like this? Been wondering what did this to my strawberry leaves.

Yeah it looks like that. I went back to look at it again and fully unrolled the leaves and it's a single larvae in the middle. The black dots were just poop I guess.

lwoodio fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 26, 2020