Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
This thread! I felt so out of place putting my terrariums and succulents in the gardening thread. I have dozens of potted and outdoor planters full of succulents and traditional houseplants. I also have a big garden of veggies and flowers that is dying back right now. My herb garden is nearly complete but all currently stuck in pots in case of a move (yay renting).

Here are some pictures of my projects over the last two years. I will spare you pictures of the veggie garden, violet collection (I love to candy them!), and most of the seedum pictures.

Some succulent, pothos, and wandering jew starts in quail egg shells I made for a friend.

Old one of a terrarium I kept a pair of Pacific sideband snails in for a few months. The plants are just a bunch of random succulents that were needing thinned from my planters at the time.

Snail love :3:

Some neat mushrooms and flowering moss I found hiking and foraging. The moss was pillowy soft and at least two inches thick.

An old moss and tillandsia tank I made.

Another.

This one lives with my bird loving friend now.

I first got into plants because I keep reptiles and many of the species I have require live plants for optimum health. I have a black thumb of death but started with pothos and mother in laws tongue (pictured below) and worked my way up. Now I seem to have a reputation as a gardener just because I keep trying and eventually find success.

Everything but the rice I grew myself, including the quail. I even brined and smoked the bacon it was wrapped with.

New plant I got on impulse at the start of the summer and somehow haven't killed: Corkscrew rush.

And some seedum shots. This is my favorite planter currently.

I love these; they are like little lizard tails and have pretty bright pink daisy lookin' flowers.

Moon snail shell I found on the coast.

Hen and chicks flower

Part of what I made to sell at a local festival. People especially love the cuttings in eggshells and seashells.

If anyone wants to trade cuttings, seeds, etc. I would love to share! I have way, way more than what is pictured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

You can make tea out of those flowers if you dry them out! Hibiscus are really cool plants and are surprisingly hardy once established.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

Why not start with some simple houseplants for the winter and then go from there? A lot of what you listed will die without real sun and higher temps. Begonias do okay inside, afaik. If you want some houseplant cuttings, I would be happy to send some stuff your way. Good starter indoor plants are pothos, philodendron, some cacti, some succulents, ficus, dracaena, schefflera, African violets, and wandering jew. If you want to try harder stuff, orchids and similar flowering houseplants might be right up your alley.

You should totally build a greenhouse and try, though. You can put hotbeds or coldframes inside of it to double your heat retention and move up two growing zones in theory.

I always get a massive itch to garden this time of year, too. I think it is a combination of seeing what everyone else has harvested, having the main garden die off leaving free space, and wanting to make the house nice for nesting in the cold. If only I could hold to motivation through spring! At least there are a lot of nice cold hardy things you can plant and harvest year round and you can always order seeds and starts for spring delivery.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

I am in search of Citrus hystrix (kaffir or "leech" lime) cuttings, fruit, or seeds. A lot of people in Florida or similarly tropical areas have them outside or potted as well as old school Thai ladies who cook well. I would be willing to pay shipping or trade a multitude of plants. Please PM or reply here if you have what I am looking for, thanks!

Citrus hystrix:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

I just got a couple new tillandsia as an early Christmas gift from my partner.

We aren't totally sure on species; I think the big curly one is xerographica or streptophylla but not entirely sure. I hope I don't kill it! The little one is some Florida native a friend sent me.

E: the store it came from said it has to be a young xerographica. Weird how green it is!

Anyone else keep tillandsia?

Pardalis fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 9, 2013

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The bottom photo isn't butzii but I am not totally sure what it is. It is a common Florida native from a friend's yard and came in big hairy bundles, but not quite spanish moss style hairy. I have since added a few plants around the two on that piece to fill it in a bit more naturally.

I really want to get some bulbosa. I used to have one but I killed it pretty quick :(

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

Those fruit planters are so cute! I might have to make something like that as I have been seeing a lot of "make your own cement planter" DIY's on my feeds lately.

I moved and my new place has huge sunny windows with built in shelves. This means more plants. We also managed to score a huge yard and I plan to build a greenhouse and reclaim the barren wasteland around it. Right now that amounts to scavenging driftwood to build beds, amending the soil, and starting a few seeds indoors.

In the meantime, I have been really into the house plants. A lot of them got neglected during the move, so I am carefully bringing them back from the trauma.

This portulaca in particular has seen much better days but it is bouncing back!

I have two large ficus trees and I decided that I wanted aerial roots to form on them. I hope my neighbors haven't noticed it :tinfoil: It should be able to come off in a month or so assuming the roots start forming. I might weave them as they grow. Both trees are putting on heavy new growth after a serious prune and repotting last month.

I keep a lot of terrariums but this is the only one with very interesting plants in it. I have never tried to grow orchids, but so far so good. It smells amazing. I have it anchored to a branch with fishing line and moss. This houses pygmy chameleons, by the way.

I want to live in this orchid.

Cuttings of wandering jew, dwarf hen and chicks, dead corkscrew rush pieces, a tiny tillandsia, resurrection fern, and a small palm all on this side. (the hen and chicks want light but gently caress 'em, I have hordes outside.)

The other side has some fun little nubby succulents, weird bright green seviperum, and some odd succulent type plant I found at IKEA. The leaf litter is all ficus or houseplant leaves. Also some lichen I'm likin'.

Some aloe and kalanchoe EagerSleeper sent me. I've managed to not kill them! I should pot them up proper soon. Not pictured is the sweet basil and portulaca I am growing from the seeds I got in the trade.

Some weird aloe my partner saved from her ex roommates neglect.

This is what I hope is a Meyer lemon tree, though it might just be a very happy rando dwarf root stock like my other Meyer lemon and possibly key lime. I need to do better with citrus but at least I have kept these alive for two years now. The sad little thing next to it is lime basil that the cats got to. It has tiny babby leaves, though, so there is hope yet.

My various tillandsia have multiplied. This one is t. argentea.

t. butzii

wee tiny babby streptophylla

t. palancea giant form

Plant Trading! EagerSleeper sent me some starts and seeds a few months ago and it was super fun! If you are interested in trading seeds or cuttings with me, PM me or post it here! I have a looooot of stuff for the garden, as ornamentals, and for planting terrariums. It would be fun to trade with some goons and make our green thumbs greener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

unprofessional posted:

Pardalis, your hens and chicks will need a cold dormancy period, just fyi; there may be some jovibarba hybrids that are happier long-term without cold periods. Also, your weird aloe is a Harwarthia attenuata, an absolutely fantastic genus.

Totally, most of my hen and chicks live outside; I just sacrifice a few to the terrarium gods every few months because they are pretty, abundant, and long lasting. They are super common here and most of mine are from cuttings taken on walks. Thanks for the aloe ID!