Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone have a suggestion for a low maintenance orchid that's okay with zone 5b? Its going to be a gift and I'm not sure how good the person is with plants so something that can tolerate a little bit of neglect would be ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

FlamingLiberal posted:

What kind of weather is that generally? I could probably give you some ideas.

All four seasons and a little on the cold side with above average amounts of rain. The temperature gets as low as -10F for a really cold winter. One will be in a house so there won't be much worry about the extremes or snow, I think that house usually remains around the low-mid 60Fs in the winter and up towards the high 70Fs in the summer. The others are for a garden in the back yard which does experience snowfall in the winter. There aren't many trees so it'll get full sun most of the day.

unprofessional posted:

Dendrobiums and phalaenopsis are both low maintenance, easy to acquire orchids, for container-culture. If you want one that can actually be outside all year, Plant Delights offer some hardy orchids, but they're a pretty niche market, and many like very specific environments.

Wow Phalaenopsis look beautiful, definitely going to find one of those it look like it'd make a perfect roommate.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

southpaugh posted:

:swoon: Tissue Culturing :swoon:

I'm real interested in that protocol, I graduated so I don't have access to the massive library databases anymore. This is pretty much molecular biology and that's one of my favorites. Did you use agar as a gelling agent? What multivitamin did you use? Which plant hormones did you use? Did you use any controls?

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 8, 2013

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

southpaugh posted:

This is a pretty good resource that I was working from before, if you're in the states they are also a pretty solid spot to buy bits and pieces you might need. As I was doing this for an exhibition I was able to use some higher quality reagents than would normally be used as part of the protocol outlined on this website/pdf : http://www.kitchenculturekit.com/workshopHandoutKCKJune2013.pdf

I used Gellan gum as a gelling agent. Its pretty similar to agar but has a lower melting temperature which helps to prevent the heat of the liquid denaturing the hormones when you add them.

I used a generic OTC liquid multivitamin. I actually managed to get sachets of liquid multivitamin, a kind of a take one a day job and just used a few mls of that.

I used 6-Benzylaminopurine to stimulate cell enlargement and Kinetin to promote cellular division (and to help offset the kinase inhibition from the BAP).

I didn't use any controls since the aim of the experiment is to exhibit the growing samples in a Sci-Art show all about synthetic biology. I like it because it raises questions around Genetic modification and the control of the supply of plants through plant sterility or shelf life. If we can successfully tissue culture plants the are sold to us with the intent that we can't make any more then thats a nice poke in the eye for agri-corps. But, it can be a difficult process and long too.

I think the only thing I am missing is the antimycotic, I was thinking either fluconazole or amphotericin B since they are fairly cheap and available?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

After seeing those carnivorous plants I very much want a few butterworts. They look cool and there are many annoying flying things around they can eat for me. Are they difficult to take care of? I tried a venus flytrap before but it didn't work out to well for me.

E: Sundews look really cool too.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 23, 2013

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I don't think I'd need to feed them at all considering its 0-2 degrees Celsius here and the loving flying things are all over still. It wouldn't be a problem if they'd stay out of the house. In other news my herbs got some kind of fungus and it killed the basil. The mint seems to be holding it off but I think I'll cut the meristems off and try to culture them. So that leaves me with contaminated soil would it still be good for plants if I put it in a drying oven and heated it to 150 degrees Celsius for a hour? I figure that should make sure that drat fungus doesn't come back.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Has anyone had luck using LEDs instead of halogen for an indoor light source? From the looks of it I could easily set up an array of them to provide the light spectrum my plants would need.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Kenning posted:

I know people in the carnivorous plant hobby have successfully used LEDs, but there are 2 problems, one of which causes the other. First, LEDs emit light on a very, very narrow spectrum. LED technology is such at the moment that you have to get a bunch of lights of different colors to be able to maintain plants with them. That is problem 2, which is that LED setups make your plants look like they are at a really lovely rave. They're pretty efficient in terms of energy use though, so there's that. Though you have to mount them to a heatsink, since they put out a surprising amount of heat, especially compared to T8 fluoros, which I use. Halogens put out lots of heat too though, so that may not be a problem for you.

I didn't think about heat, that's a good thing for me though since its cold here in the northeast I think my plants would enjoy it. I was thinking of making an array for them to cover the spectrum needed then put some sort of semi-opaque glass in front of the array to get rid of the rave-like look. I'll probably need higher powered LEDs than normal for this but its worth it for the look.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Kenning posted:

I just finished the 100th post on my carnivorous plant blog. In celebration I took a picture of every plant in my collection.

Check out the rest of the post here.

:toot:

Those look amazing; have you tried growing them in a terrarium before? It seems like it would be fairly easy to control humidity and light but, I'm not sure.

E: I was thinking along the lines of a fish bowl or tank.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 19, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I'm trying to germinate some D. Capensis from seed and my containers keep getting some kind of cottony looking mold in them. What's the best way to prevent or get rid of this fungus?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Kenning posted:

Did you thoroughly rinse your media and are the seeds in very bright light?

They're under a 60W CFL in a mini-greenhouse apparatus and the media I used came in disks I had to hydrate as part of a grow your own carnivorous plants kit. I followed the instructions and they didn't have me do anything more than rehydrate the disk.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I'm going to pick up a Drosera ailiciae and want to set up some LED desk lighting for it. I was thinking of getting a board and setting up an array of LEDs any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Kenning posted:

Man I have no idea about small-plan LEDs. I understand that the market just keeps getting better, but I roll with fluorescents still. You have your heart set on LED?

Yeah my sundew is going to be my desk buddy at work and my boss is crazy about CFLs being nebulously bad :tinfoil:.