Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Not sure where to post, so I hope in here is okay.

I'm a first time gardener whatsoever, and I want to specialize in exotic hibiscus. I'll post pictures of my blooms when they, you know, bloom. Probably won't be until next year or something.

But for now, I've got a question. Having just seen this thread and the plant in the OP, anyone here dealt with rex begonias? Ss it possible to grow the rex begonia in my hardiness zone 9b? Some research says that it grows in zones 10 and 11. I plan on keeping this plant inside and near a window. I don't want to grow it too huge, just enough to make an interesting centerpiece on my dining table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

I don't know whether to post here or the Let's Plant a Garden! thread.

So I've just begun this whole gardening hooplah for the first time ever sometime last month. So after a few weeks of looking pretty lame, my hibiscus are finally blooming like crazy after giving it a transplant from the container it came in (I hope I even did that right). Had I taken a picture the day before, all those would've been opened at the same time.

Man, it's good to know I must be doing something right!

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

unprofessional posted:

A friend of mine in Taiwan hybridizes hibiscus and has some really nice cultivars. It's a great genus.

Man, I can't even imagine getting into that. Do you have to grow, like, hundreds of hibiscus at a time, and then wait at least a year until you see it bloom?

I've only got, like, five plants so far. :ohdear:

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

Man, why did I have to get into gardening NOW? All the cool plants I want are dead and/or out of season and I can't find them in any nursery except online. :( I can't wait for spring to arrive already! This would be my first spring as a gardener.

Is there a way I can just brute force growing certain flowers through winter? Can I just set up a simple greenhouse to achieve this? Despite my collection of hibiscus so far (with only one of them blooming at the moment), I've got nasturtiums, calla lilies, bearded irises, fuchsias, rex begonias (thanks OP, I guess), and lilies of the valley coming in the mail (I blame Animal Crossing on this one) all in pots.

Waiting for spring sucks. I want these things to grow NOW!

Yoshi Jjang fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 19, 2013

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

Awesome, first hibiscus bloom of the year!

It's a Burnt Saffron.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

Back when I first posted in this thread last October, I bought a tiny rex begonia thanks to the picture in the OP. It was in a little 4" pot with a leaf or two. After its first winter (my first winter, too) now here's what it looks like:

This coming spring will be the first spring for me as a gardener. I'm a little excited and nervous now that my backyard is packed full of plants, mostly hibiscus. First thing I taught myself was basically how to overwinter things. Now I'm going to have to learn to get more active to make sure everything's alive and thriving!

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

Hello, spring. :)

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

Whooo, zones 10-11. Stupid Minnesota.

Thanks for the feedback!

I got that same plant last year because, just like you, I saw it in the OP. Bought it off eBay, and it's been growing nicely ever since. My previous posts should have a photo.

Mine is in a ceramic bowl sitting on top of a dish full of rocks. It sits indoors near the backyard door. I never water the soil, only water the rocks so they are mostly submerged. That way, they get the water they need from the hole at the bottom of the bowl and plenty of humidity as the water dries off the surrounding rocks. Just don't get watet directly on the leaves.

They are pretty slow growers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

Tremors posted:

My newest baby arrived yesterday. It's a three year old Synsepalum dulcificum (Miracle fruit). It's covered in little flower buds so I definitely should be getting some fruit this year!

Hey, good luck with that thing! They're incredibly slow growers. Tell me how it goes, because I got a 9 month-old twig a few months ago. I used a peat and perlite mixture and fertilize with Miracid. I've also got it surrounded with moist rocks to keep it humid and I spray it with water around once a day to emulate the amount of rain it receives in its native habitat.

I still can't tell if anything has changed since I got it. :shrug: At least it's not dying?