Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A guy at my work gave me a venus fly trap. Said "my girlfriend doesn't like it any more, so I thought I'd bring it in and see if anyone here wanted it." It's quite small and looked a little sick at work, but after taking it home and putting it in the window and dutifully keeping it wet, it seems to have perked up and is uncoiling some new leaves with baby traps on the end of them.

How do I take care of this thing and keep it going well? I can't really leave it outside because it gets cold at night still...will the plant get enough light through the window glass? Or should I buy a little grow-lamp for it? Also, my house is very clean and I don't have any bugs easily accessible other than the wood lice under the bricks in the front, which seem kind of hard and crunchy for a plant to eat, so while it apparently only needs to eat a few times a month I don't really know what to feed it.

All the other plants I've tried to keep I did a poor job of, so I want this guy to survive if I can help it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I went to water my fly trap today and found that one of the traps has sealed up with a little black thing inside it. I think it's a fruit fly. Way to go, little guy, I'm buying you a grow-lamp :kimchi:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Speaking of carnivorous plants, I have a little venus fly trap that I think is dormant right now but is starting to come out of it and perk up again. When it does start waking up, I'd like to move it to a bigger pot or a little terrarium or something, and maybe even try to propagate it by taking off one or two leaves at the same time. Does anyone have any tips for doing this properly?