Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Philodendrons only flower for 2 days or so when they do, and normally in the middle of the night I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

Boris Galerkin posted:

So what do I do with the two flower bloom things? They look just like the closed one here in the middle.

It kinda sucks too because it looks like this particular plant has stopped growing leaves. Not sure if that's related to the flowering though.

Pretty sure you can snip them off no probs. Should see more leaf growth after that point too.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

Nosre posted:

For being a badass invasive this Carpobrotus edulis / Pigface is really sensitive. They rooted quite easily and started taking off, but for a few months now have stagnated and leaves are slowly dying off in pairs.

Definitely looks like too much water, but I've left the soil dry for weeks at a time between waters so idk

Thinking to cut at least one of them up into tips again and restart with even sandier/rockier soil (and a smaller pot)

Agree with your sandier soil plan! My pigface had similar issues so I trimmed it back and replanted in a 50/50 mix of native Australian specific soil and regular beach sand. I also avoid adding any fertiliser to that part of the garden as it thrives in deficient soils.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

TofuDiva posted:

Along those lines - against the odds, I have ginger from the (organic) grocery store sprouting violently on my kitchen counter. My neighbor says to just stick it in a pot of sand and it will grow. True, or do I need to do more for it? Can I cut off the sprouting knobs to plant, or should I sacrifice the whole rhizome?

I'm a bit too far north to be able to plant it outside, although if I pot it I could put the pot outside next spring. I do have plenty of sunlight in the house though.

TIA for any thoughts on ginger, or pointers to websites that people trust.

Not sure about planting ginger into sand, but I've had a fair bit of success doing so into good quality potting mix. If you're planting into a pot, make sure it's a wide one as the rhizomes grow horizontally.

Yes definitely keep it inside in a warm spot while it's winter time!

In terms of splitting the rhizome, this is a great way to get a much better ginger yield down the line. Make sure each section has a sprout and don't make them too small. Before planting, I leave the cut section out for a few days until the wound hardens over to avoid the chance of infection. I then soak the prepared root cutting in warm water for a day, before planting 1-2 inches under the soil.

Ginger isn't the quickest grower, so ideally wait several months before you can start carefully harvesting sections of root and covering over what remains in the soil.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

Nice space to work with!

Given the climate, I would recommend Hedge Saltbush. Being a native it has low water and nutrition requirements compared to introduced species like Box, plus you can use it for cooking because it's bushtucker.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

THE MACHO MAN posted:

don't know if you already resolved but that sure looks like overwatering. They really do not need much, especially in winter, especially if you do not have good light sourcing. Get it near a window.

Agree this is overwatering. I give mine a moderate watering anytime by index finger comes out of the soil completely dry when buried 2 knuckles deep. Usually once a week in summer and once a fortnight in winter.

Mine isn't in the best lit area either so I make sure it gets 1 day a week by a sunny window. And of course damp cloth the dust off the leaves weekly :)

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

Atticus_1354 posted:

Solarization is what we recommend for changing over small areas. It works well as long as you leave it for long enough. My issue with it is that as the area grows you need a lot of plastic to cover it and at what point is the plastic more harmful than just controlled applications of glyphosate.

Yeah you'll need to think about the area as it can take longer than you think to really nuke all the roots. Having plastic all over your garden for an extended period of time might not suit your needs either.

I've not used the water/clear plastic method myself, only the black stuff you get from the hardware store placed directly over the problem area. It took about 4 weeks in Australia's mid summer (average 30c/86f daytime temps) to ensure no resprouting occurred in the following weeks.

Another thing I found useful for problem weeds in the cracks or lines of large paved areas (NOT lawns) is to put a teaspoon of table salt on the weed stump and then pour as much boiling water on that bastard as I can be bothered making. At least 5 full kettles should penetrate deep enough to have a noticeable effect.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

Does anybody have advice/recommendations on using birds for snail/slug control? I'm getting sick of using coffee grounds and iron chelate as the effect wears off after a few weeks with all the rain we get here in Melbourne, AU.

I have an enclosed yard and enough space for half a dozen chickens or ducks, plus I love eggs so it's a win-win potentially. I'd build a coop of course, but allow them to roam free most of the day to do their thing. What species and breed are best for absolutely decimating slugs and snails?

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

Hexigrammus posted:

Muscovy ducks. A pair of hens will lay eggs occasionally and probably not do a lot of collateral damage to your yard. They absolutely love slugs and snails. They're calm, personable birds that do well in a dry land chicken yard type of environment, although bathing water is appreciated.

Drakes are twice the size of the hens and have a disturbingly large corkscrew penis that you probably don't want to see dragged through your produce. Apparently the hens have a counter-threaded cloaca in what appears to be a mechanism to prevent duck rape. Do not read about duck sex if you ever want to enjoy Donald and Daisy cartoons again.

Since we started using wood chips in our paths and as mulch on the permanent beds our slug problem has disappeared. The little blighters are still out there in the forest and meadow but don't seem to be crossing the perimeter paths to munch lettuce anymore. Hopefully that continues.

Awesome :) Thanking you kindly!

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

terre packet posted:

Definitely, hope these help:

Yep that looks like a monstera to me too from the way the leaves divide and the aerial root nubbins

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

Roots are a concern here, but it's not impossible. I've had some success with moss and Corsican mint, but definitely make sure there's a gap between the base of your plant and the surrounding ground cover otherwise there's a good chance it'll develop rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

snailshell posted:

Two Qs from a noob:

- Has anyone ever successfully sprouted an avocado tree from a pit? I've been following these directions for about 5 weeks; the pit has cracked, I'm seeing a teeny taproot (?) come out the bottom of the crack, but nothing on top yet, and the directions say to only plant in soil when the shoot is 6 inches (??!!?!?) tall. Am I too impatient? Won't that take forever, if I'm only now starting to see movement after 5 weeks? I want to freaking plant it already!!!!

- Is... fertilizing... real? I grow plants outdoors in the ground for a work project (lovely sandy/clay soil) and fertilize the perennials only yearly or every other year, with less than a tablespoon of Osmocote. The annuals are in 100% perlite and don't get anything. But I'm seeing a lot of peeps in this thread saying to fertilize weekly, and now I'm wondering if that's why my work plants are so healthy and vibrant while my home plants are so lovely and pathetic. Does this still apply if I'm potting plants in 100% outdoor potting mix? I would have thought that potting mix would have enough to get them through without supplementary nutrients, so I haven't fertilized anything I've planted. (Plants under discussion: herbs of various families, strawberries, succulents, bromeliad, orchid)

1. Yes avocados can take ages to get to that stage (especially in winter). It's winter here in Australia now so I have mine inside on a sunny windowsil to give them as much warmth as possible. Having said that you can be waiting for up to 3 months or longer to get a 6 inch plant. The reason its better to use the water method for germinating as opposed to sticking the seed straight into soil is that it's really reliable. I've only had 2 fail out of 25+.

2. Like with all gardening actions (like pruning, watering, repotting, etc.) it's not really the case that doing so will make all the difference, but rather it helps the plant along and makes it grow quicker and/or healthier. Plants do grow in nature without our help after all!
Having said this, fertilising is extremely important if you're growing things in pots, regardless of the type of soil. Since pots have a small and limited volume, the plant will use up the nutrients much quicker than if it was in the ground. Weekly is absolutely overkill though IMHO. Monthly fertilising with liquid fertiliser is plenty. Just make sure to stick the the bottle ratios since overfertilising is a surefire way to kill your plants.