Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
This was one of my favorite succulents from many years ago until it was destroyed in a move. Anyone have a clue what it may be?

And to give this post a little content, here are a few of my plants which are looking nice right now. Unfortunately my Echeveria Gibbiflora "Carunculata" toppled under the high pressure stream of a hose while trying to rinse it for a photo op. Hopefully the little guy can come back.

Thriving in the sunny window are Cotyledon tomentosa, Randoma Succulentis, and a sad Haworthia which has been dwarfed by its gargantuan roommates.

Up close and personal with Hosta "Patriot" and Ajuga Reptans in a photo taken last year during sunset.

My snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata) which has happily grown to 4'x4' in my living room while living in hard Virginia clay receiving water whenever I remember.

And lastly a Tulip exhibiting some interesting phototropism after trying to reach the evening sun on the other side of my Arizona Cypress(Cuppressus arizonica "Blue Ice")

Its far too sunny out in the yard to take any more pictures, but maybe I'll update with some more as things come along.

dinozaur fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
Love the voodoo lily, kid sinister. My dogs used to go insane every time the Amorphophallus bloomed.

And here are some pretty pictures.

First up is my Elderberry (Sambucus Nigra "Black Lace") which has exploded in growth this year and just flowered this week.

Then we have my little corner of heaven. This is the one slice of the garden which I am nearly happy with. Apologies about the blurry picture, but we have a Weeping Japanese Maple, Sedum (Angelina, Sieboldii, John Creech, Autumn Joy), Geranium, Elephant ear (Colocasia gigantea)

The Oakleaf Hydrangea (Hydrangea Quercifolia) have just bloomed today in my garden. Though too dim to take proper pictures right now, this is a picture from several years prior.

I just recently visited Longwood Garden as well as Chanticleer garden in Pennsylvania. I don't share these pictures to take credit for others hard work, but only to share some awesome plants.

Rhododendron and wood fern.

Huge variety of flowers.

Lacecap hydrangea

Agave, Dypsis, and Ceriman ("Monstera Deliciosa", which is perhaps the greatest scientific plant name in existence.)

Kalanchoe and Schefflera

An absolutely brilliant Croton (I swear I didn't muss with the colors at all).

And here are just a couple phenomenal plants from Chanticleer.
Espalier European Beech mark the entrance to the formal courtyard.

To be honest I don't remember what plants are in this picture.

I would share more, but I could only sort through so many of the hundreds of plant pictures.

dinozaur fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 31, 2013

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

Marchegiana posted:

I have the same Sambucus! Mine has been blooming like crazy for about two weeks now, and it's gorgeous. Do you ever get berries on it though? For some reason I only seem to get maybe 1/10th the elderberries I expect considering how much it flowers. I wasn't planning on making jam or anything, I was just hoping to attract some birds with the berries.

I have never seen berries on mine, though according to Michael Dirr, birds will pick the berries almost immediately.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

upsciLLion posted:

This kind of looks like a red dragon flower (Huernia schneideriana) to me. Can anyone else confirm or deny?

That's the closest guess I've heard from anyone so far. Doesn't quite look like it(as I remember the plant), but its very doggone close. When I finally figure this out I am immediately buying one on eBay just because of the pain it has been.
Here are some more recent potted plants that are so happy right now that they're trying to reproduce.

This is an Echeveria Carunculata "Manua Loa." The flower stalk rises about three feet out of the main plant and culminates with the strange looking bud in the second picture. As I recall from last time this little guy flowered, they were hot pink when it finally opened.

My mandevilla is the greenest and most floriferous it has ever been. You can also see the twin bean-like seed pods to the left of the flower in the foreground of the second picture. I'm fairly sure it was either a hummingbird or a hawk moth that was finally able to pollinate this one.

dinozaur fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 26, 2013

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK
Except for the last picture almost every single thing I see are named plants.

1) Move both weeping red laceleaf Jap maples somewhere else. They are going to get wide and crazy looking right there, especially with the two trees. (Upright Japanese maple and maybe-but-probably-not Podocarpus?). Remove the scalloped concrete edging and transplant some of the Autumn Joy sedum to make room for evergreen groundcover.
2) Remove lily, Vinca minor, Rose of Sharon, maybe remove the bush in the middle. Transplant the two (Green Mountain?) Boxwood to front foundation.
3) Transplant Rhododendron to a better drained and shadier spot. Leave the deciduous Magnolia(edit- its a fig tree on second look) alone. Don't touch the Dicentra around it. If anything, expand this bed to be part of the background bed and incorporate some mid-size fall/winter interest plantings.
4) Remove saplings along fence. Limb up some trees to allow large and midsize flowering shrubs to be planted among the Vinca.
5) Make sure the bamboo is not a "running" variety.
6) Throw all of that away.

Without better pictures or any information, I can't make any other recommendations.

dinozaur fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

Not an Anthem posted:

What's this gross stuff growing on my succulents (also I know I have to repot them)
I had them out for the summer and brought them in last week. I noticed the spots on the short succulent last year but I thought it might be part of it, oops. Can I fix it?

Appears to be some type of scale. Little disgusting insects that are very difficult to get rid of. Last year on my Majestic Palm I tried insecticidal soap, systemic insecticide, and Neem oil to no success. I was going to throw away the plant but as a last resort hosed it down with Ortho Home-Defense (Bifenthrin) to great success. I would quarantine the infected plants and start treatment. If my plants get scale again this year I am going straight to treatment with Bifenthrin, forget all the recommended remedies.

Last fall my Echeveria also got tons of aphids one day, but the plant quickly suffocated them all with its deadly sap. Some resources online have said that Echeveria sap can cause permanent blindness. Needless to say, whenever I do any pruning, I wear rubber gloves.

dinozaur fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 9, 2013