Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.
You like succulent plants, I know people have found a use for aloe, know any other "productive" members of the succulent society?

What is the largest succulent plant you have grown? Prettiest?

I have a lovely amateur garden that is surrounded by aloe and is currently otherwise vacant because of Cold weather and SQUIRRELS. :argh: tree rats stop tearing up my starter pots theres no acorns in there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

Those chubby little leafies are so cute! :3:

How do you propagate 'em from their leaves? Do you use any fancy store-bought elixirs or powders?

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

EagerSleeper posted:

I'd be willing to post a picture step-by-step post if anyone wants one, but later since I'm posting from my mobile at this moment.

Go for it, I'm still curious. Do you have to mess with them at all after they start to grow from the callous? Or do they grow roots down into the ground on their own?

D'ya keep it moist while it heals or would that make bitey bitey bacteria have a field day?

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I saw some beautiful cactus flowers the other day when I was driving past a cow pasture where a few cacti have cropped up. Brilliant bright yellow on top of a smallish cactus that looked like it had paddle shaped segments.

Now I kind of want to grow some cacti, but the place I want to grow them in is kind of covered in shade a lot of the day.
How do cacti do in shade? Do they all need a ton of light to survive? I wanted to put them under a window to make it a bit less, eh, inviting looking for unscrupulous types.

I'm curious, if I plucked one of those cactus paddles off one of those cacti next to the road, would it seal up and sprout roots eventually, like the succulents do? I don't want to go maiming some poor lil' plant if it'll result in zero gain.