Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

dinozaur posted:

This was one of my favorite succulents from many years ago until it was destroyed in a move. Anyone have a clue what it may be?

This kind of looks like a red dragon flower (Huernia schneideriana) to me. Can anyone else confirm or deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

EagerSleeper posted:

This is from a long time ago but I'm still going to go with euphorbia esculenta. Although huernia looks almost exactly like that, it also grows in single stems most of the time. Since in that picture there seems to be a green bulb-like body that that the arms connect to, I think its a euphorbia instead.

The nubs on the euphorbia don't look quite right to me. I'm changing my guess to huernia pillansii. http://www.welcometocactusland.com/Succulents/Apocynaceae/Huernia/huernia_pillansii_01.htm

e: maybe euphorbia susannae if it slimmed down a bit.

upsciLLion fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 3, 2013

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Shirec posted:

So I've been having problems with gnats/fruit flies in my plants recently. My one spider plant seems to be vector zero, but I can't tell if that's the true culprit. How would you go about getting rid of them? I assume they're hurting the plant.

They sound like fungus gnats to me.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05584.html

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

7thBatallion posted:

Same things I have on my African Violets and Nematanthus.

I'm pretty sure the white bits are empty aphid exoskeletons. If you find live ones, try spraying them with rubbing alcohol. I've used it in the past with reasonable success.

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

How do people handle indoor planters without drainage holes?

I have two maidenhair ferns I would like to plant up in a few cast iron pots I've acquired, but I'm a bit worried about them having adequate drainage. Is it sufficient to fill the first 1/3rd of the pots with styrofoam and be sure not to overwater?

I can't say for certain how well that will work, but I would worry about salt accumulation in the potting mix if you aren't able to properly flush it ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?
I bought some dwarf jade cuttings on Etsy and received more than I can use. I'm also winding down the rest of my collection a bit in anticipation of moving. I have a bunch of aloe veras, a couple rooted hobbit jade cuttings, a small regular jade cutting which might have some roots by now, but I'm not certain. I can post pictures if anyone is interested in some free plants.