Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, right. Sorry, I forgot how finicky Infinite Jukebox can be. Open it in Chrome in its own window, it hates not being the active tab for whatever reason. :shobon:

If that doesn't work for you, here's the raw MP3 without any fancy Infinite Jukebox wizardry.

I don't know how it works so well, but it. Just. Does. :allears:

I knew I keep this thread stickied for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

resurgam40 posted:

Space Jam goes with practically anything. As any VGCW viewer can attest to.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, right. Sorry, I forgot how finicky Infinite Jukebox can be. Open it in Chrome in its own window, it hates not being the active tab for whatever reason. :shobon:

If that doesn't work for you, here's the raw MP3 without any fancy Infinite Jukebox wizardry.

Found why it didn't work, only works in Chrome and Safari. TO THE BACKUP BROWSER!

This thing is hilarious and NEVER stops.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 11, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

Space Jam goes with practically anything. As any VGCW viewer can attest to.
It's true.

Oppa Space Jam Style!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today's update not brought to you by me leaving my flash drive at home. Oops.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you don't mind, I will be using this song in my marketing final Power Point.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I don't know how I feel about that song mingling with something as lame as PowerPoint. :colbert:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

resurgam40 posted:

I'm both joyful and terrified to be a kid of the 90s and immediately knowing what it was the moment I heard the vocals.

God...dammit this is loving amazing.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't know how I feel about that song mingling with something as lame as PowerPoint. :colbert:

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Emissary666 posted:

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

All right, but we better get to see this PowerPoint.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

All right, but we better get to see this PowerPoint.

In about 6 weeks, we will know if I have chosen to confuse the hell out of my marketing class.
EDIT: And whether or not whoever I get partnered with is able to control me.

Emissary666 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 11, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Emissary666 posted:

In about 6 weeks, we will know if I have chosen to confuse the hell out of my marketing class.

If you're aiming to confuse, I HIGHLY recommend you record a good several minutes from the Infinite Jukebox link rather than just using the base MP3.

Alternatively, use this. :unsmigghh:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 11, 2014

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you're aiming to confuse, I HIGHLY recommend you record a good several minutes from the Infinite Jukebox link rather than just using the base MP3.

Alternatively, use this. :unsmigghh:

I think that track just summed up Oblivion.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

sutch murder, very stealth

Fort Sutch should be close.

There it is. Now, I just need to slip in, replace the medicine, and make my-

:stonk:

Not khajiit's problem!

Through the abbey, just like Teinaava said.

Hmm. I hear footsteps.

Ahh. Good old invisibility potion.
The Chameleon rings don't hurt either! :eng101:

Now to find Roderick.

That must be him. His medicine should be close...

Here?

Bingo. Just a simple matter of peeling the label off this one, and...

Hah. Easy.

Just near Fort Sutch, there's a Daedric shrine. We don't have any Troll Fat, though, so back to business!

Couldn't hurt to stop in Anvil briefly...

I should really take advantage of guild services more often!
And speaking of guilds, I somehow managed to miss the questgiver for the Anvil Fighters Guild. I seriously have no idea how I managed not to cross paths with him.

We also speak to this guy right here, who kicks off Knights of the Nine stuff. He's got an utter shitton of dialog that I don't quite feel like transcribing, but his voice acting is pretty good. For those who didn't click that link, the gist of it is that to defeat Umaril, we first need a set of sweet gear called the Crusader's Relics, and visiting the Wayshrines of the Nine Divines is the first step towards obtaining them.

The Wayshrines aren't marked on our map, but on a separate map in our inventory, since that's fun and not annoying. We'll be holding off on this whole pilgrimage due to a certain requirement that comes into play later. There's also the fact that trying to look at the map has a small chance of CRASHING THE GAME.

Anyway, it's back to Cheydinhal under the cover of night!

I do like to sneak. :3:
It pleases me greatly to offer you this reward, and a well-earned bonus. Go now. Rest. I'll have another contract ready whenever you are.
What manner of contract?
Do you like parties? Because you've been invited to one. Of course, you'll be killing all the other guests. Are you ready to attend?
:toot:
Splendid. You need to go to the city of Skingrad, to the large house known as Summitmist Manor. There you will meet up with five very unlucky guests.
Unlucky, indeed. :ese:
In order to receive your bonus, you must kill each guest secretly, one by one. If anyone sees you committing murder, the bonus is forfeit.
Simple enough.
The guests believe there is a chest of gold hidden in the house, and have agreed to be locked inside until one of them finds it.
Everyone loves gold.
In fact, the guests believe the key to the manor is inside the chest, and only by satisfying their greed will they be allowed to leave. Poor fools.
But they will never leave.
There is, of course, no chest of gold. The guests will find no key. After you arrive, the doors will be locked behind you, as everyone expects.
And then I get to work.
When all the guests lie dead, you will be free to leave. Now go, see the doorman at Summitmist Manor. He will explain the rest. Have fun.

We're not in an advanced stage of vampirism at the moment, so might as well fast travel!

Now, before we attend the party, let's try and dress for the occasion.

...ew. Ebony Armor is is, then.

That must be Benirus Manor.

Now I'll tell you what I didn't tell everyone else. We have the same Mother, you and I. And she wants you to have this. It's the key to the house.
Well, that's my escape covered.
I guess someone else has already told you the other details. Kill all the guests then leave, right? Well, you'd better get ni there. Time to mingle.

...right. I'll let myself in, then.

Okay, it has to be said: this quest is pretty neat, with lots of dialog including the partygoers gossiping about one another, and it changes based on what order you decide to kill them in. There's a LOT of ways it can go down. That having been said, I decided to go for a more direct approach.

Ahh. I do love stealth. And you know...maybe it's time I helped mystealth to the riches of Cyrodiil.

Next time, we purrsue a career path in cat burglary.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 12, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Aww man, I was so looking forward to that quest. Just murdering everybody feels so wrong.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Quite possibly the best quest in Oblivion. Playing along with the premise and schmoozing with the guests as they die, one by one, is fun as hell.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Quite possibly the best quest in Oblivion. Playing along with the premise and schmoozing with the guests as they die, one by one, is fun as hell.

And I preferred making a mockery of the quest's intended purpose using two Chameleon rings!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Summitmist Manor quest was definitely one of my favorites in the game and it really has several ways it can play out. The Nord guy and his story about his dead daughter was pretty drat :smith: though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

At first I was disappointed that the Direct Approach wasn't exclusively sneak-punching, but then the sneaky Dunmer lady dodging arrows while drinking tea totally made up for it. That is a great quest.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I did this quest so carefully the first time I played the game. I even tried to get people to eat poison apples, which never worked. I ended up power attacking them in their sleep when no-one else was around. Imagine my surprise later when I learned that you can punch them all in 5 seconds and finish the quest. You don't even need to be sneaky about it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lizard Wizard posted:

And I preferred making a mockery of the quest's intended purpose using two Chameleon rings!

Oh come on.
You went about talking about how surprisingly good oblivion is and then you cirvumvement one of the places that show true care and effort.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Years ago, after I read online that this quest was based on that book by the famous racist Agatha Christie, I bought and read through the book in a day, if I remember right. It was a pretty good read.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I'm less mad that you didn't do this in the cool way and more mad that the update's name is based off of the most stupid loving meme to have ever existed. Ever.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

gatz posted:

Years ago, after I read online that this quest was based on that book by the famous racist Agatha Christie, I bought and read through the book in a day, if I remember right. It was a pretty good read.

And Then There Were None, if I'm not mistaken. A pretty interesting story, and an archetype that should be used more often in games, as it does make for a quite tense mystery, especially when the character is directly involved in the group of people that are supposed to die.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh come on.
You went about talking about how surprisingly good oblivion is and then you cirvumvement one of the places that show true care and effort.

It's a legitimately good quest, and I'm happy to acknowledge that. Seriously, if you have Oblivion and you haven't done the Dark Brotherhood questline, do it. This quest is neat, and so is a lot of the rest of the Dark Brotherhood questline. But I'm also not necessarily going to play the game the way everyone likes at all times.

Bear in mind that this was like the third time I'd done said quest. I had to do it over once due to one of the guests getting stuck in an inaccessible part of the house under some stairs, and then again due to save issues. I wanted to see if just pure stealth was feasible without relying on all the meticulously scripted stuff for this quest, and it is!

So sorry, but I'm not sorry.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's a legitimately good quest, and I'm happy to acknowledge that. Seriously, if you have Oblivion and you haven't done the Dark Brotherhood questline, do it. This quest is neat, and so is a lot of the rest of the Dark Brotherhood questline. But I'm also not necessarily going to play the game the way everyone likes at all times.

Bear in mind that this was like the third time I'd done said quest. I had to do it over once due to one of the guests getting stuck in an inaccessible part of the house under some stairs, and then again due to save issues. I wanted to see if just pure stealth was feasible without relying on all the meticulously scripted stuff for this quest, and it is!

So sorry, but I'm not sorry.

It is by far the best quest in Oblivion, but it can grow old really fast. It is a lot less flexible than it looks and the NPCs only followed script 75% of the time for me. Still, I was always a squishy assassin, so the head-on combat never went very well for me.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Dangit, not only did you do it directly, but you also ended up leaving the same guy alive that I did at the end.

For Neville, it turns out he was actually a spy for the Empire and was suspecting you to be a murderer all along. Shame I didn't get new info on any of the other endings.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
It totally IS the best quest of the game and one of my absolute favourites of all the game's stories, just for the pure deviousness and poo poo :allears: that drat lady drinking tea though, goddamn. Serious colonial stat advantages there, you're certainly the most efficient assassin I'll give ya that much!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FinalGamer posted:

that drat lady drinking tea though, goddamn.

She was reading a book. :psyduck:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
There's a lot of fun little bits and pieces to how the quest can go on, too. Everyone's got different AI and responses, and there's a ton of ways to do the quest creatively. From UESP:

-While making friends with everyone will make them suspect you less, if you make some of them hate you so loving much they'll attack you instead, which makes you look innocent.
-Frenzy will also make them kill each other, and since that's not you killing them you get the bonus.
-Poisoned Apples will kill all of them except for Nels (who doesn't eat).
-Putting on the (spoilers for the Thieves Guild quest) Gray Fox's cowl will make them all attack you. This makes you innocent for it.

And as for the specific victims...
-If you're up-front and tell Metilde that you're an assassin sent to kill them all, she'll think it's a hilarious joke and be set at 100 disposition. If she likes you enough, she'll offer to help you find the treasure, and you can send her to the basement where nobody ever goes by default scripting.
-Dovesi has a crush on Primo, and you can get her alone by telling her he's got feelings for her and she should meet him in his bedroom. Similarly, if your response to consoling her about the murders is to say nothing, she'll go to the basement and mope.
-Nels doesn't move unless he's one of the last two alive, so he's super easy to kill. He's also probably the smartest person in the quest, and the only person who will suspect you if he's the last one left regardless of your disposition, unless you let him kill the second-last.
-Neville sleeps the longest, so he's the easiest to kill that way. If you have a high enough Infamy he'll attack you straight-off, though, which makes it really easy.

There's also actually a relatively complex net of people who will or won't kill if they're one of the last two left.
-For all her talk, Metilde will only be driven to attack Dovesi if she has high disposition with you.
-Dovesi and Primo, provided they like you, will kill any of the others, including each other.
-Nels will kill anybody but Dovesi if you have high enough disposition with him. He'll kill Neville if you approach him about it, regardless of disposition.
-Neville will only kill Nels, and only if you have high disposition with him. He'll get his Imperial Legion gear to do it, too.

It is a really good quest.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 12, 2014

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

There's my dinner party! :3:

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

At first I was disappointed that the Direct Approach wasn't exclusively sneak-punching, but then the sneaky Dunmer lady dodging arrows while drinking tea totally made up for it. That is a great quest.

SIT STILL! :catstare:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
This thread made me reinstall Oblivion. I've never beaten the main questline or done anything more than the intro to Shivering Isles. I played it near release and set my major skills to the ones I was going to use most. Now that I have a basic understanding of how to "correctly" build my character rear end-backwards maybe things won't get insanely grindy halfway through the game.

Hoping to at least catch up and play alongside Sterv's progress on the main quest. This LP is starting to get past the farthest I ever progressed, so it's time to catch up!

Going for Breton mage. All my previous characters were stealth or melee oriented so it's new ground for me. I'm sure everyone cares deeply about this.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So there are all these people they want to kill, but no one can know you're the murderer, but they're all sealed up inside a manor?

Is the Dark Brotherhood doing this for the ritual significance?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

When I played skyrim for the first time, I was really hoping that the (spoilers for the early-midgame main quest) Thalmor Embassy quest was gonna be the big dialogue-driven socializing/sneaking/spying quest akin to that DB quest. Of course, you just need to convince one guy to do something and it's right back to killing your way through the objectives.

Maybe there is a quest like that in skyrim but I either forgot or haven't found it yet.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Glazius posted:

So there are all these people they want to kill, but no one can know you're the murderer, but they're all sealed up inside a manor?

It's all part of the contract. :shrug:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Glazius posted:

Well, the Dark Brotherhood isn't just a group of assassins. It's also a religious organization, which means that the things they do don't have to make sense. :v:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Elth posted:

Maybe there is a quest like that in skyrim but I either forgot or haven't found it yet.

Season Ending is probably the closest thing possible to this quest, in that it has a lot of potential ways it can go, there are no objectives to be sliced, through, and is very dialogue intensive.

You can only get it if you reach a certain point in the Main Quest without doing a certain amount in the Civil War.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nihilarian posted:

Well, the Dark Brotherhood isn't just a group of assassins. It's also a religious organization, which means that the things they do don't have to make sense. :v:

The religious bits are entirely related to the murder, not the manner of the murder in which they engage.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Season Ending is probably the closest thing possible to this quest, in that it has a lot of potential ways it can go, there are no objectives to be sliced, through, and is very dialogue intensive.

You can only get it if you reach a certain point in the Main Quest without doing a certain amount in the Civil War.

The big difference between whodunit and season ending, though, is that Whodunit doesn't root you in place for a good 15 minutes and lets you finish the task in a varitey of ways. Season Ending made me want to kill myself as I repeatedly pandered to the opposite faction and reassured my general I'd just re-take everything, because my character's stupid strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lizard Wizard posted:

...ew. Ebony Armor is is, then.

Well, yeah, those shoes definitely don't go with the robes.

e:

Glazius posted:

You only need to make sure none of them see you killing any of the others. The guards will probably take one look at it and go "Gosh darn those lovable Dark Brotherhood Everscamps! They've done it again!"

I'm almost certain you can get some supplemental info on why some dude wants these specific five out of the way, but I can't remember exactly.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 13, 2014

• Locked thread