Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Pauldrons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Brainbread posted:

They added crossbows, or did they not like un-warped chestpiece graphics?

I think it's the detail on the armor, and the refractory light. Not sure.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Er, no. It's the headfins.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Er, no. It's the headfins.

The posing makes it obvious, dunno why these people are confused.

Emprah
Feb 1, 2014
Fins! But did they also add Webbed feet?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I was confused because you said modders and not one thing in that picture had giant tits on it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gnome de plume posted:

I was confused because you said modders and not one thing in that picture had giant tits on it.

Sometimes modders make good mods. Sometimes.

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"

I completely forgot about Cubivore until just now. Such an odd game. Great music in it though.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dammit, now I wanna play Cubivore.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

Dammit, now I wanna play Cubivore.

You totally should.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So! I decided to record, by way of apology for this gaping expanse of time between updates, a little something I discovered about the game, and I found something a bit worrying. Namely, the 1600x1200 resolution which I record at is gone. I'm sure I'll be able to fix it, but know that updates beyond the one coming within the next few days might have a slightly different screenshot resolution. But thinking about different resolutions got me thinking about other graphical things, and now I'm kicking around the idea of using some HD textures for future updates unless anyone objects.

That aside, this bonus video. This thing I discovered. It just might allow me to break the game over my knee.

So without further ado, here it is. I'm keeping the explanation behind spoiler tags for those of you who don't want to, well, spoil yourselves on what's in the video, or for those of you who just don't want to watch it at all.

If I create spells with the exact same effect and different names, the poo poo stacks. This is of course how I'm able to wear multiple pieces of equipment with, say, the Chameleon enchantment and receive the full benefit of all of them. Here I used it to buff the hell out of Shadowmere, but the potential applications are...promising, to say the least. Rapid health regeneration? Massive damage-over-time? Chameleon cap in the blink of an eye? It's all within my grasp now if I can find the magicka for it, and you can bet your rear end I'll be finding uses for this trick as the LP goes on.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Finding the magicka shouldn't be hard once you int/wis buff yourself, then use said buffs to increase other stats.

e: O-kay zhen.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 13, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zomborgon posted:

Finding the magicka shouldn't be hard once you int/wis buff yourself, then use said buffs to increase other stats.

Oh, feel free to discuss without spoiler tags - like I said, the tags above are just for the benefit of the people who want to watch the video before seeing an explanation, it's not like we're saying "M'aiq the Liar dies at the end" or anything like that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, once you figure out how to do the 100% Chameleon hilarity and the like, the game really gets blown wide open. You know you're doing it right when the game literally can't keep up with you.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Lizard Wizard posted:

So! I decided to record, by way of apology for this gaping expanse of time between updates, a little something I discovered about the game, and I found something a bit worrying. Namely, the 1600x1200 resolution which I record at is gone. I'm sure I'll be able to fix it, but know that updates beyond the one coming within the next few days might have a slightly different screenshot resolution. But thinking about different resolutions got me thinking about other graphical things, and now I'm kicking around the idea of using some HD textures for future updates unless anyone objects.

That aside, this bonus video. This thing I discovered. It just might allow me to break the game over my knee.

So without further ado, here it is. I'm keeping the explanation behind spoiler tags for those of you who don't want to, well, spoil yourselves on what's in the video, or for those of you who just don't want to watch it at all.

If I create spells with the exact same effect and different names, the poo poo stacks. This is of course how I'm able to wear multiple pieces of equipment with, say, the Chameleon enchantment and receive the full benefit of all of them. Here I used it to buff the hell out of Shadowmere, but the potential applications are...promising, to say the least. Rapid health regeneration? Massive damage-over-time? Chameleon cap in the blink of an eye? It's all within my grasp now if I can find the magicka for it, and you can bet your rear end I'll be finding uses for this trick as the LP goes on.

You need to remember to use the waterwalking spell too, so that you can ride on Horse Jesus.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

No reason not to use those HD textures if you want, they are done well and lore friendly :spergin:

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Blaziken386 posted:

You need to remember to use the waterwalking spell too, so that you can ride on Horse Jesus.

Out of curiosity. I've always wondered what would happen if the spell wore off while you were in the middle of the river on horseback?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
You'd just sink down onto the water as if you had swam all the way there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It took me a bit to realize what was going on because I am so used to Youtube being a complete bitch with a lot of videos theses days :downs:

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Have you tried using fast travel while on your speed buffed horse? I remember using fast travel while buffing my characters speed by 800 and fast traveling from one end of the map to the other in 2 in-game hours. I'm wondering if it works the same for horses or it only goes off of your character's speed stat.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Death Zebra posted:

Have you tried using fast travel while on your speed buffed horse? I remember using fast travel while buffing my characters speed by 800 and fast traveling from one end of the map to the other in 2 in-game hours. I'm wondering if it works the same for horses or it only goes off of your character's speed stat.

Don't be silly, I'm traveling fast enough as it is!

Also, don't expect Shadowmere next update. That footage was from the tail-end of a three-hour recording session that went to waste because I hadn't realized at the time that Bandicam doesn't record Oblivion properly. :argh:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Don't be silly, I'm traveling fast enough as it is!

Also, don't expect Shadowmere next update. That footage was from the tail-end of a three-hour recording session that went to waste because I hadn't realized at the time that Bandicam doesn't record Oblivion properly. :argh:

Doesn't record Skyrim either. It kinda hates steam games I think. I seem to only get it to record Emulators and WoW.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
Completely uninformed about Bandicam here, but could the issue possibly be related to the Steam Overlay? Could be worth turning that off for the game and trying a test recording.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GrimRevenant posted:

Completely uninformed about Bandicam here, but could the issue possibly be related to the Steam Overlay? Could be worth turning that off for the game and trying a test recording.

Given that I use Bandicam to record Freedom Force and that game doesn't support the overlay, you might be on to something! I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Haha nope.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 14, 2014

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Given that I use Bandicam to record Freedom Force and that game doesn't support the overlay, you might be on to something! I'll give it a shot.

gently caress. Bet you could get some goons to buy you a FRAPSkey though. Those who do not anticipate the continued adventures of Sterv aren't people, so to speak........

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

drat, I was hoping that would work. Then I'd be able to continue my Skyrim LP. As is, I have to do it in Windowed, and Loading screens take forever in Windowed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blasphemaster posted:

gently caress. Bet you could get some goons to buy you a FRAPSkey though. Those who do not anticipate the continued adventures of Sterv aren't people, so to speak........

I've got one, you silly, that's how I made every other update. I just can't use it on my laptop because I don't want the tiny hard drive to bubble over with uncompressed video. Would've been nice to get Bandicam working, but ah well.

OH gently caress HERE COMES AN UPDATE

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Spooky Story Skeletons

At the end of the last update, we got our first dead drop mission involving a fearsome necromancer who is surely too powerful for us to confront directly.

Hoping to avoid any pain-in-the-rear end encounters, I opt to do some story stuff instead.

Yeah, fat chance.

We also encounter our first lich! This is a Nether Lich, which for some reason is the name given to the weakest kind of lich. Like all of his kind, he is a floating wizardy shitlord and behaves as such by blasting the gently caress out of you.

On the bright side, they invariably drop staves so they're generally worth the trouble.

Generally. :suicide:

Thank you game

Hmm. Somehow khajiit thought Sancre Tor would be moreHELLO :stare:

Die! :catstare:

Khajiit is seeing a theme.
Y'know, it's not like I don't appreciate that they tried to make this place a little different with the flame sconces goin' on over there, but goddamn, what a missed opportunity.

Why not make them some kind of other color besides white for spooky-rear end lighting? Like, uh...blue, or some kind of eerie...pale...

...green. Right, moving on then. :geno:

oh no a brazier, it's probably burning ghosts or some poo poo aaaaaaa.

Wait...this helmet...

Who are you?
:ghost: I was Rielus, loyal Blade of Emperor Tiber Septim. I do not know how long I have been dead. It feels like an eternity.
About that. How did you die?
:ghost: My three companions and I were sent here by the Emperor Tiber Septim to discover what evil had defiled the holy catacombs of Sancre Tor.

Okay, my eyes are starting to glaze over at all this lore. Let's just get the Cliff's Notes.

"don't worry I got this, I brooded"

Okay so, I just want to review this for y'all. There's bad curse poo poo blocking off the Shrine of Tiber Septim, which is where the armor we need to get is. Obviously that's bad.

We need to kill these Blade skeletons to free the Blade ghosts so they can lift the curse which hey guess what is pretty tedious, but sure.

You can see it right there. All that mist in the background? That's the curse.

And now it's gone. They could've done something cliched but reliable here like, I don't know, have the ghost buddies sacrifice all of their remaining power and disappear forever to dispel the curse.

Or maybe, Idunno, a puzzle or a fetch quest? That would've been nice. But no, the curse is gone because brooding.

Bethesda, I'm not going to claim that you've got the best writers in the world, but you DO have generic fantasy writers. If part of the plot of your game is that ghosts are going to brood a curse away, delete that part and write ANYTHING ELSE. NOT THIS.

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: ((-27 + :psyduck: - :yohoho: + (3 * :eng99: ))/:regd08:) + SUMMON THE BRETHREN)^:negative:

See ya later, broodlords!

Anyway, it's not terribly far from Sancre Tor to Cloud Ruler Temple, so let's go turn in our thing.

I have it right here.
The Septim blood may flow through my veins, but you have the soul of a hero. The Armor of Tiber Septim himself! Jauffre will be amazed to see it.
Who wouldn't?
You can reassure Jauffre that I will not destroy the armor. All I need is a scraping of Talos's divine blood.

Yes. Hilarious. What else can khajiit do?
While you were gone, I've made some progress in deciphering the Mysterium Xarxes ritual.
But you just said-
The third item we need is a Great Welkynd Stone.

They have been plundered one by one over the years, due to their great value to mages and occultists.
Then...we need a great Ayleid ruin? :sterv:
There is only one place that is rumored to still contain one: the ruins of the Ayleid city of Miscarcand.
Miscarcand?
A place where many have perished seeking its Great Stone. But nothing else will do, so you must succeed where all others have failed.

Tell me more about Miscarcand.
The capital of one of the ancient Ayleid kingdoms which flourished in Cyrodiil before the rise of Men. It is said that the ruins are still haunted by the vengeful spirit of its last king. True or not, it is not a place to enter lightly. Be careful.
Got it.

Thankfully we've passed by Miscarcand before, so we can just travel on up to it.

Oh boy a sprawling plot Ayleid ruin. Allow me to capture the excitement of this place.

That's about the size of it. Of note but not pictured is a certain disease, but I'll go into that later.

Of course, the boss of the place is the King of Miscarcand, who happens to be a unique lich. He'll come running floating at you as soon as you grab the Great Welkynd Stone.

He's nothing to sneeze at, and you're liable to lose a chunk of health in the fight! Now, note my health and magicka. The disease I got earlier? For one thing, I caught a disease. Second? It's Astral Vapors. It cuts off your magicka regen and makes you weak to magic, and it ignores disease resistance entirely because the developers really, really wanted to give you a horrible disease that puts you at a disadvantage.

As you can imagine, this means lots and lots of reloading. On the other hand, the dungeon is chock full of magicka-restoring Welkynd Stones and you definitely have the means to deal with your affliction if you realize what's going on, so I can sort of see what they were going for. But still, there's the fact that the player might not even KNOW that Welkynd Stones replenish magicka, and might not realize what's going on until they're in the thick of battle and panic and don't even think to use their Welkynd Stones and ARGH.

But hey, dude dropped a kickass staff and I'm out of footage, so that's an update! Good night, everyone! :science:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Well poo poo, disregard my PM then. :sweatdrop:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

If I were a curse that heard that a bunch of broodlords were bearing down on me, I'd only think of the following and run away:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I think when I played this I had already gone through the Miscarcand in the course of my wanderings. So I got to be all smug and be all like "Oh, you mean this Great Welkynd Stone?' :smug:

Didn't know Welkynd Stones restore your magic, though. I just sold them all.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
While we were having this conversation, I made a breakthrough in my previously completely stuck research.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Silver Falcon posted:

This makes (at least) two of us.

I remember elements of this dungeon! The zombies inside this area are a special 'dread zombie' variation, and are the only enemies in the game that can give you Astral Vapors. Much like any other enemy, they begin appearing everywhere once you're high enough level, and over time, with the help of cure disease potions, you learn how to defeat them.

Ways to work around this include taking advantage of them being slow-as-hell zombies and never engaging them in melee, or being very very tanky and really not giving a crap that your Magicka doesn't regenerate. If you were playing Atronach, the most debilitating effects would be canceled out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Silver Falcon posted:

I think when I played this I had already gone through the Miscarcand in the course of my wanderings. So I got to be all smug and be all like "Oh, you mean this Great Welkynd Stone?' :smug:

Unlikely, I'm pretty sure it's got a plotlocked door inside to make sequence breaking impossible. :suicide:

Bluhman posted:

This makes (at least) two of us.

I remember elements of this dungeon! The zombies inside this area are a special 'dread zombie' variation, and are the only enemies in the game that can give you Astral Vapors. Much like any other enemy, they begin appearing everywhere once you're high enough level, and over time, with the help of cure disease potions, you learn how to defeat them.

Ways to work around this include taking advantage of them being slow-as-hell zombies and never engaging them in melee, or being very very tanky and really not giving a crap that your Magicka doesn't regenerate. If you were playing Atronach, the most debilitating effects would be canceled out.

Nah Dread Zombies are just the top of the zombie levelled critter list so you end up fighting lots of them in the late game because bethesda biblically hosed up on their attempts to write a scaling system when they made Oblivion.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Unlikely, I'm pretty sure it's got a plotlocked door inside to make sequence breaking impossible. :suicide:

Nope, but the King of Miscarcand drops a key that unlocks an exit gate to the dungeon.

Though if you're like me, you probably got it, assumed it was a master key to locked doors in the dungeon and took the long way out. :negative:

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Mordaedil posted:

Oblivion is probably the best early use of that tree generator that made trees really cost-effective to use in open world games and it was worth buying at the time just for that.

Speedtree! I worked with Speedtree for a couple years. It was a horrible program full of indecipherable sliders, and very difficult to make things that looked good. Plus, it wasn't really cost-effective at all, it required a lot of programmer finessing to make run at a reasonable clip. The modern version may be much improved, but the version from Oblivion era was just a mess. Good times.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, let's be realistic, Skyrim sold, what, 10 million copies? It's a money machine for Bethesda, they'll make another one once FO4 comes out.

I'll admit that ESO damaging the TES brand name beyond repair is pretty high on my fear list, but I'm also excessively paranoid. They won't stop making them until TES games selling below expectations becomes a trend- ESO is currently the exception rather than the rule.

According to a marketer I knew at Bethesda, Skyrim sold closer to 20m copies. Allegedly Bethesda was a bit surprised, themselves. ESO did nothing to tarnish the brand imo, but it did cost Zenimax a hell of a lot of money. Maybe they'll make it up some day but the opportunity cost is huge.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 15, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Silver Falcon posted:

The fancier stones you find in Ayleid ruins whose names currently escape me can be used to recharge your magical weapons.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Cleretic posted:

The fancier stones you find in Ayleid ruins whose names currently escape me can be used to recharge your magical weapons.

All of your weapons. At once. Varla stones are worth several thousand times more than their weight in gold.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Yeah, Varla stones are worth 1k in gold, but are quite nice for dealing with enchanted items. Especially if you are trying to pure mage this game (WHY?!) and use a lot of staves. That said, Welkynd stones are basically a full recharge of mana, but they weigh a full pound to carry, and regular mana pots weigh a lot less and will do pretty much the same once you get a good level of alchemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Galick posted:

All of your weapons. At once. Varla stones are worth several thousand times more than their weight in gold.

My early game strategy was always to rush to get one and then duplicate a thousand so money wasn't an issue. And then I tried just going through the game and I slowly learned that money wasn't an issue to begin with....
Never knew they had an actual use besides selling

• Locked thread