Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've used a lovely old HDTV as my moniter for years now. if you can deal with 1366X768 as your maximum resolution, its the way to be. I might go from 27 inch to 40 inch plus in the future just for extra stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I've used a lovely old HDTV as my moniter for years now. if you can deal with 1366X768 as your maximum resolution, its the way to be. I might go from 27 inch to 40 inch plus in the future just for extra stupid.

1600x900 on a 42 inch is pretty sweet if you can swing it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wwwwwwelp, I was going to work on an update today, but between Guardians of the Galaxy and :argh:LOST FOOTAGE:argh: that ain't happenin'.

Now excuse me while I re-record two Fighters Guild quests and one that might as well loving be.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Now excuse me while I re-record two Fighters Guild quests and one that might as well loving be.

Finally we'll get to see what all the talk has been about. :allears:

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
The lost footage really sucks and I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm looking forward to seeing this stuff after you do finally manage to get it done.

It takes a fairly good strength of will to soldier on through those problems like that.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

MGlBlaze posted:

The lost footage really sucks and I'm sorry to hear that. But I'm looking forward to seeing this stuff after you do finally manage to get it done.

It takes a fairly good strength of will to soldier on through those problems like that.

I doubt he'd be bothering if not for that Toxx, honestly. I wouldn't. I'd spare everyone from the Fighter's Guild.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Finally we'll get to see what all the talk has been about. :allears:

Sometimes it is better not to know. :cthulhu:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah I never played more than a couple hours of Oblivion, this whole thing has been way more edifying than just asking LizWiz about in the past has been.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

New update coming tonight! I'm really, really sorry in advance.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's the Fighter's Guild, isn't it :negative:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

It's the Fighter's Guild, isn't it :negative:

Also yes.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

For some reason I get the feeling a chunk of it will be done in MSPaint.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Why would he ever apologize for that?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Why would he ever apologize for that?

MSPaint Fighter's Guild is still Fighter's Guild.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MS Sleep Deprivation

So yeah, that stuff I said about re-recording Fighter's Guild quests? gently caress all that noise. I'm just gonna draw it from memory. As it turns out, however, I'm not the greatest at MS Paint art, so this is gonna be a short one.

But before that, I'm gonna follow up on that rumor I heard ages ago. Y'know, the one about the all-female gang targeting men? We were pointed in the direction of Gogan, who I had assumed was an orc from the name.

Basically, Gogan was seduced by some ladies down at the local inn, went to their farmhouse outside of town for some action, and after they got him in the nude, they robbed him at swordpoint and sent him running home in his birthday suit. More than anything, though, he wants us to recover his wedding ring due to the fact that it's a family heirloom. Because, y'know, the writers need to justify this man's desire to get his wedding ring back.

Rather than going directly to said farmhouse and finding where the ring is stashed, we have to go and get seduced at the inn so we can raid the place.

The innkeeper confirms that, yes, he has seen shady dames around seducing the pants off of his clientele, and that they drop by now and again to do so. I don't honestly remember what he looked like, so I decided to render him innkeeper as a dude who you can easily tell is a bartender-type person. I deeply apologize if this takes you out of the lore.

So, of course, we have to wait hour by hour until one of these foul succubandits shows up. And eventually...

...we receive an invitation to the whore-thief's den of lies. 11 o clock, she says.

Well, no sense letting that waiting image go to waste!

The appointed time approaches, and we make our way to the farmhouse.

At around this time, I went into an Oblivion gate. Or I may have done it well before all the waiting. Or I may have done it during one of the two quests after this. Hell, I may not have even done this quest first, it's all kind of blurred together by this point. Rest assured that, whenever it happened, it resulted in me rubbing a rad elemental damage enchant all over my best sword.

After refusing to literally empty my inventory, they pull their weapons on me. How's Sterv gonna get out of this one?

:smug:

And then Gogan shows up. TUrns out he was an undercover guard the whole time, including when he got robbed! This kind of makes the quest make even LESS sense, but I'm far, far too sleep-deprived to articulate all of my problems with this quest thus far. Please feel free to discuss that amongst yourselves instead of dwelling on this, the worst possible drawing of an Anvil guard.

For our efforts, We get a paltry 400 gold from this quest as well as a stupid dagger that we just sell for fat stacks because pure damage far outstrips any other weapon enchantment in terms of viability.

Now it's off to the Fighter's Guild, but for real this time.

Do I feel like drawing the interior of the Fighter's Guild? The answer is clearly no. We are sent to deal with a rat problem.

OH poo poo SON. STRICTLY SPEAKING THIS IS A RAT PROBLEM BUT NOT THE KIND YOU WERE EXPECTING. I, BETHESDA GAMES, AM THE GREATEST.

So it's down into her basement and oh no, there's a lion attacking those rats! Not pictured because of effort: a conspicious hole in her basement wall that could conceivably lead outside.

Mountain Lions ain't poo poo.

This dunmer lady is not satisfied that the threat is gone, and asks us to consult a hunter to see where the hell lions might be coming from.

The hunter takes us, very slowly, to a cluster of lions that are behind some bushes or some poo poo, and we give them a sound drubbing. They're not native to the area, so disposing of this little group should do the trick!

Except no, it doesn't, because there's another lion in that there basement. After we murder it, the dunmer has an insight - her Argonian neighbor, Quill-Weave, loving hates rats and is behind all of this probably, so we need to stalk her!

There she is! Is she-

She is guilty as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. But she talks us into lying to the rat lady for an acrobatics skill point. I take her up on it because even though she's a horrible person for doing the things she's doing, the alternative is a point in speechcraft, and gently caress a speechcraft. We also get gold and some loving title from the Fighters Guild.

Now, our next quest would've been to stay overnight in some dude's shop, intercept some serial burglars and report back to the shopkeeper, but as it so happens, my game crashed when I tried to exit the shop after killing said thieves.

Trying to google the issue only turned up a post on some obscure message board about how some dude's Oblivion crashed AT ANY TIME THE SUN WAS OUT after finishing said quest. I managed to console command it completion without any issues, but I feel I should stress that at least one person's savegame has become deathly allergic to sunlight because of this quest. And that's all she wrote!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Worth noting that being really early in the fighter's guild and one of the rewards being a straight skill increase, at launch this quest could make it 100% impossible to raise either Acrobatics or Speechcraft by using it.

At least neither of those is a damage skill, some quests increased those skills and whelp.

Also I usually get around the oblivion NPCs walking really slowly by using setscale 10 because being ABSOLUTELY HUGE actually makes them move pretty quick thanks to those giant footsteps. It's actually more effective than just cranking their speed stat up for some reason. :iiam:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Trying to google the issue only turned up a post on some obscure message board about how some dude's Oblivion crashed AT ANY TIME THE SUN WAS OUT after finishing said quest. I managed to console command it completion without any issues, but I feel I should stress that at least one person's savegame has become deathly allergic to sunlight because of this quest. And that's all she wrote!

Clearly, Bethesda just sprung their secret hardcore vampirism mode on that guy. For the discerning gamer that wants a real challenge.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
MS Paint updates are the best updates.

Truly, Sterv is a fearsome warrior.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sterv is a scorpcat.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lizard Wizard posted:

The appointed time approaches, and we make our way to the farmhouse.

I always thought that was a weird name for a town. Then again, there are two provinces referencing dropped tools, so I guess naming things in TES is a bit on the :effort: side of things.

(E: Okay, the province Hammerfell and the High Rock region Daggerfall. I should have looked that up)

Also
:iit:

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 18, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I know, I know.

I forgot the eyelashes.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I actually kind of liked this quest, even though I had trouble triggering it because I didn't realize you could scroll down to see more dialog options. :downs:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Really not seeing why you felt you had to apologize for that, there's basically no way that could have been depicted any better.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Yeah, that last update was hilarious. Voted 5.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gnome de plume posted:

Really not seeing why you felt you had to apologize for that, there's basically no way that could have been depicted any better.

I just wanted to prepare you.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Like many things regarding Oblivions, I liked the idea behind this quest but not the execution. The idea of protecting some old lady's pet rats in her basement instead of killing them is a simple but cute twist on the usual beginning RPG quest. And it fits, what with this being the beginning Fighter's Guild quest (I think?). Except instead of doing anything cute with it, you end up running all over and all around town as your attempts at fixing the problem are repeatedly shat on. I am genuinely interested in seeing where this guild goes, but this specific quest at least is very deserving of the MSterv treatment.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Excellent update, couldn't have been depicted better.

I remember this quest clearly because it was so bloody stupid. "I hate rats so I left some raw meat in your cellar hoping that non-indigenous lions would break into your underground basement and then fight the rats!" There's roughly 15 things wrong with that line of reasoning.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I think her actual line of reasoning was that if she left the meat just outside the cellar the rats would come out and the guards would kill them, but the mountain lions got in town somehow.

I always just murder all of her rats and gently caress the rest of the quest because the skill reward is nigh useless and the other rewards are gold and a fame point, both of which really don't matter at the point I did fighters guild stuff.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
I don't see anything wrong with the Anvil Guard's behaviour here. Gogan gets seduced to get the evidence that they are guilty, they get tried in absentia, and then they get sentenced to death by adventurer. Harsh, but that does seem to be the sentence for most crimes in Cyrodiil.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Kloro posted:

I don't see anything wrong with the Anvil Guard's behaviour here. Gogan gets seduced to get the evidence that they are guilty, they get tried in absentia, and then they get sentenced to death by adventurer. Harsh, but that does seem to be the sentence for most crimes in Cyrodiil.

Well, remember, there's not that many prison-cells.
I mean, glancing at a picture of Riften Jail (which is the wrong country, yes, but it's still Bethesda designing the jails) there seems to be 8 (2x2 upstairs, and the same downstairs)
Maybe as high as 12, if the camera-angle obscures something.

That doesn't leave a lot of room for bandits.

Besides, while I think Oblivion had more eldritch abominations to water down the number of bandit-spawns, in both Morrowind and Skyrim it feels like the bandits outnumber the ordinary citizens (especially Skyrim, what with it not having a guard in every store and two guards per doorway, like Morrowind. Morrowind could get a bit crowded with faceless nobodies)
So, I suppose the most widely-used justice-system in most Elder Scrolls games is actually Tribal Law, we just usually hang out with the 'weirdos' who have kings and houses and other 'civilized' nonsense.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Zomborgon posted:

I always thought that was a weird name for a town. Then again, there are two provinces referencing dropped tools, so I guess naming things in TES is a bit on the :effort: side of things.

Also

:iit:

What's the second one? Hammerfell's obvious, but I don't see other references to tools?

Elsewyr is very high on the :effort: scale though

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

double nine posted:

What's the second one? Hammerfell's obvious, but I don't see other references to tools?

Daggerfall?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

double nine posted:

That's a deliberate joke.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

double nine posted:

What are you expecting from the Khajit? That the name NOT be completely ridiculous?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

Daggerfall?

Daggerfall isn't actually a province.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

Seconding this. I love MSPaint Sterv. It's just so...:sterv:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ablative posted:

Daggerfall isn't actually a province.

It was when the player was there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dareon posted:

No, it's a city.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

No, it's a city.
I think Dareon might be confusing the provinces (in this case High Rock, and a bit of Hammerfell) with the various regions the game map was divided by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Dareon posted:

The City of Daggerfall is the capital of the Kingdom of Daggerfall, which is now one of 5 Breton kingdoms that geographically constitute High Rock, the other 4 being Wayrest, Northpoint, Evermore, and Camlorn. A significant chunk is controlled by Orsinium, the Orcish land. Daggerfall and Wayrest, along with Sentinel in Hammerfell, are the primary powers of the Iliac Bay which sits between the three, which was the setting of Daggerfall (the game).

There were a lot more kingdoms but the results of the Warp in the West (the result of Daggerfall having multiple endings, Bethesda said 'gently caress it, they're ALL true') consolidated High Rock and Hammerfell into a number of smaller kingdoms.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 19, 2014

• Locked thread