Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

As a WoW player, I both violently disagree and wholeheartedly agree.

Bioware can do no wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Brainbread posted:

Bioware can do no wrong!

I both violently disagree and violently disagree.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Obliviennui

Last time, we concluded our duties in the Cheydinhal Fighter's Guild for the time being and are now leaving Cheydinhal to go to a previous, different guildhall for inscrutible reasons.

On our way out, we sell things too numerous and uninteresting to specify to the local shop, pocketing coin so that our detritus may haunt her inventory.

We also meet the shopkeeper's daughter. To my understanding, she becomes important in a quest at some point.

Regardless, we leave town.

Time passes, and we fight a bear. So bored am I that I decide to try fighting it with my fists in hopes that it will make the encounter more interesting. Unfortunately, it does not. Such is life.

Ultimately I draw my fire claymore, as I am not doing enough damage to end this encounter as quickly as I would like, and thus have little recourse.

We approach an Oblivion gate.

Of note? There is an Oblivion gate in the distance. It presumably leads to the overworld, but is not the one we came through. Curious, but more than likely inconsequential.

The material wealth from this glorified dungeon is some consolation.

The stone is gained. Resist Magic or Silence enemies. Is this good? I do not know.

I stop to pick flowers so that I can make potions. Many potions. Some useful, all forgotten.

We also activate one of the shrines needed for Knights of the Nine, but that will not be important until the distant future.

Sometimes magical weapons make encounters BOAR-ing. Ha. Ho ho. Ha.

Passing by the Shrine of Sanguine I realize I should have seen to my daedric task in Leyawiin.

I am disappointed in myself. I am ashamed.

And I continue onward.

Another Oblivion gate.

The loot is okay.

Weed joke. Hah. Ha ha. Ha.

We leave the gate with more disappointment.

Not so far from here is our destination.

To the right, Kvatch. A dead city. Never to be important again.

At some point, another gate is entered. Note the cuirass, which will allow a sum total of 85% Chameleon at any given time with our other magic items.

I see the chains break in this tower, a sight I had not noticed before. It is, admittedly, exciting.

Acceptable.

And so we arrive at Anvil. Gray skies. Things to do. Treasures in our pocket.

Such is Oblivion.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Hargrimm posted:

So I started reading this thread earlier tonight, and realized that the filenames of the screenshots are often useful/funny in and of themselves. However, it's kind of a pain to manually look at each one, so I threw together a little script that will put the filename right next to each image, quick and dirty. Like so:

You can get it from here, installed with Greasemonkey on Firefox, or Tampermonkey (or maybe natively?) on Chrome. I'm still early in the LP, so if anything changes with the filenames or anything later that breaks this, let me know!

Here's a mirror for this.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Do that Sanguine quest this instant. It is mildly amusing. The only real shame is that you can't keep the spell.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Such is Oblivion.

Oblivion's Not That Bad Score: :smithicide:

This game used to be fun, I'm sure of it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Do that Sanguine quest this instant. It is mildly amusing. The only real shame is that you can't keep the spell.

It's the best quest and is always worth it, even if the reward artifact isn't.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Do that Sanguine quest this instant.

Still not out of footage. :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Still not out of footage. :v:

Lizard-senpai, I can't draw and I don't set videos to 'funny' music, but I made this gift today. Excuse my impudence!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

JcDent posted:

Lizard-senpai, I can't draw and I don't set videos to 'funny' music, but I made this gift today. Excuse my impudence!

I don't know what I was expecting that link to be, but I got a good laugh out of what I found. :mmmhmm:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

JcDent posted:

I love it! :swoon:

Unfortunately I've shut down my computer for the night and can't add it to the OP from my phone in bed. But holy poo poo, thanks. This is going in first thing in the morning*!

*Read "afternoon"

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Obliviennui

The material wealth from this glorified dungeon is some consolation.

The name of this item made me think about the fact that they use 'cold', but not 'hot' for similar items.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Weed joke. Hah. Ha ha. Ha.

We leave the gate with more disappointment.

Is "Fortify Blunt" the weed joke? :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

distactedOne posted:

Is "Fortify Blunt" the weed joke? :v:

No, it's the value of the sword.

Kangra posted:

The name of this item made me think about the fact that they use 'cold', but not 'hot' for similar items.

Clearly, Bethesda cannot Resist Hot Pants.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
Ah, crushing ennui. We tire of the walk, but there are still many, many miles to go.

Such is Oblivion.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

I love it! :swoon:

Unfortunately I've shut down my computer for the night and can't add it to the OP from my phone in bed. But holy poo poo, thanks. This is going in first thing in the morning*!

*Read "afternoon"

Aaaaaaaaand done. Thanks again! :toot:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Kangra posted:

Hot Leather Pants - Fire Damage 1pt on self, constant effect.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

If only you had clothes that could cast spells like in morrowind, that way you could have some leather pants that cast charm on touch.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Man Whore posted:

If only you had clothes that could cast spells like in morrowind, that way you could have some leather pants that cast charm on touch.

I preferred pants of Opening, myself.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
And all of you failed to appreciate the majesty of parachute pants.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I forget whether the telekinesis spell where you can grab enemies is a mod or not (assuming mod, since I haven't seen it). There was some sort of bug where the person being manipulated needed to be ragdolled, so it ragdolls you and brings you close the the enemy. You get clobbered, but can kinda move them around. It's a lot of fun smashing people into the Oblivion Stream Beam. Especially crazy powerful liches and other poo poo you can't really kill normally.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Hargrimm posted:

So I started reading this thread earlier tonight, and realized that the filenames of the screenshots are often useful/funny in and of themselves. However, it's kind of a pain to manually look at each one, so I threw together a little script that will put the filename right next to each image, quick and dirty. Like so:

You can get it from here, installed with Greasemonkey on Firefox, or Tampermonkey (or maybe natively?) on Chrome. I'm still early in the LP, so if anything changes with the filenames or anything later that breaks this, let me know!

Note also that if you're on Chrome, and you have SALR installed, there is an option under 'Image Display Options' to set image tooltips to the filename of the image. With that on, you can simply hover your mouse over the image to get the filename, a-la XKCD.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
In other news, I was playing Skyrim today and while I'm not sure how it works in Oblivion, why is it that in Skyrim, I only ever have a 90% chance to pickpocket something? It's really annoying, seeing as it's the only skill in the game that relies on the RNG not dicking you over (which balances the skill at the beginning,but when I have 100 pickpocketing with fortify pickpocket enchantments on, I shouldn't be able to get caught for stealing someone's sweetroll).

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Kangra posted:

Well then that would make them a pair of resist hotpants

Which is not something that is possible.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Blaziken386 posted:

In other news, I was playing Skyrim today and while I'm not sure how it works in Oblivion, why is it that in Skyrim, I only ever have a 90% chance to pickpocket something? It's really annoying, seeing as it's the only skill in the game that relies on the RNG not dicking you over (which balances the skill at the beginning,but when I have 100 pickpocketing with fortify pickpocket enchantments on, I shouldn't be able to get caught for stealing someone's sweetroll).

On PC I always got a mod that allowed for 100% pickpocket chance. It's sorta broken being able to steal an enemies weapons and armor with zero chance of failure, but the hilarity factor of a naked, unarmed bandit fighting you to the death evens it out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xythe posted:

On PC I always got a mod that allowed for 100% pickpocket chance. It's sorta broken being able to steal an enemies weapons and armor with zero chance of failure, but the hilarity factor of a naked, unarmed bandit fighting you to the death evens it out.

"You'll make a fine pair of boots, because someone stole the ones I had!"

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Brainbread posted:

Bioware can do no wrong!

*cough* Jade Empire for PC *cough* *hack* *wheeze*

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

BioWare games in general just don't "click" for me.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

DA 2 was a bad bad game which had bad bad people which I am supposed to like for ???

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I once played Dragon Age and suffered from the fact that I pressed the button that turned off my party's AI for better manual control without realizing it yet, and never realized it because the section of the game's UI that SHOWS whether or not your party's AI is on doesn't appear until after you get party members. I just assumed that all the little icons looked as they should by default and thought the game had broken, and ended up restarting entirely.

Upon sharing this with a friend who loves BioWare, the responses included "have you even played D&D?" and "it's called immersion".

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

We also meet the shopkeeper's daughter. To my understanding, she becomes important in a quest at some point.
Indeed she does. And you already met the some of the interesting people you encounter in said quest. :v:

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH

Lizard Wizard posted:

I once played Dragon Age and suffered from the fact that I pressed the button that turned off my party's AI for better manual control without realizing it yet, and never realized it because the section of the game's UI that SHOWS whether or not your party's AI is on doesn't appear until after you get party members. I just assumed that all the little icons looked as they should by default and thought the game had broken, and ended up restarting entirely.

Upon sharing this with a friend who loves BioWare, the responses included "have you even played D&D?" and "it's called immersion".

UGH you're as bad as my SO who just started the first Mass Effect. I keep TELLING her the UI is good drat IT!!! Just use it right!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Saitorr posted:

UGH you're as bad as my SO who just started the first Mass Effect. I keep TELLING her the UI is good drat IT!!! Just use it right!

Oh my god the UI of Mass Effect 1. Oh my loving god. I do not even understand how they screwed up that badly when they had already done multiple games with perfectly fine UI.

http://gamedesignreviews.com/reviews/mass-effect-interface-fail/
http://gamedesignreviews.com/reviews/mass-effect-massive-interface-fail-part-ii/

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Still better than ME2 interface of straight console port tradition.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lizard Wizard posted:

That whole AI and UI deal was pretty bad though. Oh hey your tactics slots are tied to a stat :shepface:

I think my "favorite" part is that in the final patch, using Mana Clash (aka the best way to deal with an enemy wizard) has like a 1 in 10 chance of just crashing the game. Quality coding!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shugojin posted:

I think my "favorite" part is that in the final patch, using Mana Clash (aka the best way to deal with an enemy wizard) has like a 1 in 10 chance of just crashing the game. Quality coding!

This was to simulate a GM kicking the table over for the Wizard breaking their carefully crafted encounter, again. Authentic :pseudo:

I've not played much of the latest one yet, but I'm feeling the "why the gently caress did I do that?" hindsight in trusting auto-level for party members in some cases. "Varric, you shoot things from a crossbow, this is what you do. Why did you take the power that throws a grappling hook to bring you CLOSER to the giant face punching demons? It doesn't even branch to anything-no no don't take the upgrade that makes you able to spam it. gently caress, where was the tactics option to turn off him ever using that? There we go."

Using the block and slash skill on my mullet warrior is oddly satisfying (Low stamina cost NOPE and knockdown), though of course it doesn't seem to help on big bosses.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 2, 2014

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

[00:23:39] Lizard Wizard: Goddammit Joe, now I'm going to have to google the pony cum jar project

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

No mod chat, please.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Great Joe posted:

pony cum jar
:cry: oh god I think I'm gonna throw up
that's... bar none... the most revolting thing I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

that's... bar none... the most revolting thing I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Be glad.

• Locked thread