Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Blaziken386 posted:

That dialogue was fantastic. Lord Rugdumph is great. :allears:

Youtube recommended a Rugdumph playthrough auf Deutsch- whoever is playing it just rushes through the dialog, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cT4F_oB6Z4&t=10m31s

It makes me wonder if the joke was translated into German- it looks like it sort of, from what I know, but my vokabeln is pitifully small, so I usually guess by context and word roots and that just doesn't work with ol' Fürst Rugdumph... and the guy playing it didn't really seem to comment on it at all- anyone more fluent than me have any insight?

BattleCattle posted:

Yeah, I was about to say...

hehe yeah- it's still less jarring to come across a Meldrick in a historial sim than in an immersive-world RPG... but then again I play New Vegas with Wild Wasteland on so what do I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Christmas Present posted:

Youtube recommended a Rugdumph playthrough auf Deutsch- whoever is playing it just rushes through the dialog, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cT4F_oB6Z4&t=10m31s

It makes me wonder if the joke was translated into German- it looks like it sort of, from what I know, but my vokabeln is pitifully small, so I usually guess by context and word roots and that just doesn't work with ol' Fürst Rugdumph... and the guy playing it didn't really seem to comment on it at all- anyone more fluent than me have any insight?

He says "Generatoren" when he gives you the sword, and the guy does seem to comment on that, so presumably it was translated.

Also holy poo poo, those combat grunts. :stare:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

He says "Generatoren" when he gives you the sword, and the guy does seem to comment on that, so presumably it was translated.

Also holy poo poo, those combat grunts. :stare:

HJARP! HWÖÖÖR! ÜÜÜÜUUGGH! "aue!"

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I know just enough German to confirm they did infact translate it properly.

Sort of. You can't really do ye olde english in German.

rlloyd3
Feb 3, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_New_High_German?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Shouldn't there be some form of ye olde German?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

resurgam40 posted:

drat it, why can't we have a game set in Elswyr, or Black Marsh, or any of the numerous places in Tamriel's lore that sound more interesting than this one?

Akatosh changes Elswyr to forest with castles. Climate change from Red Mountain drained the Black Marsh and it is now a verdant prairie and Argonians live in thatch-roofed houses and ride horses everywhere.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Christmas Present posted:

Oblivion's German version hardly deserves the term 'translation', it's one of the worst in a game in recent years, and it adds even more bugs and breaks quests due to flagrant incompetence.

TLDR: It's Oblivion, only worse. :barf:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Shouldn't there be some form of ye olde German?

German is ye olde German as it is is the thing. They are still using really old grammatical rules for sentence structure, which my teacher kept trying to drill into my head over the course of six years and even as I graduated I could barely grasp.

I can't really speak or write German anymore, but I can semi-read it. I dunno if I wanna blame the teacher for this, but we frankly had some of the driest education on the planet for learning this language and the only thing I remember that stood out was this one time we had German exchange students visiting the class that we were supposed to use German on to learn about them so we could summarize it at the end of the class. Problem with this plan was that everyone ended up speaking English instead!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

German is ye olde German as it is is the thing. They are still using really old grammatical rules for sentence structure, which my teacher kept trying to drill into my head over the course of six years and even as I graduated I could barely grasp.

I can't really speak or write German anymore, but I can semi-read it. I dunno if I wanna blame the teacher for this, but we frankly had some of the driest education on the planet for learning this language and the only thing I remember that stood out was this one time we had German exchange students visiting the class that we were supposed to use German on to learn about them so we could summarize it at the end of the class. Problem with this plan was that everyone ended up speaking English instead!
I studied German in school too, but only for 3½ years. My amazing memory has allowed me to remember that Kartoffel is potato and I can form basic sentences that use incorrect grammar and the wrong choice of der, das oder die.

MisterBishop
Sep 2, 2011

Nooby engineer

Poil posted:

I studied German in school too, but only for 3½ years. My amazing memory has allowed me to remember that Kartoffel is potato and I can form basic sentences that use incorrect grammar and the wrong choice of der, das oder die.

Oh God. I think whoever invented "All nouns should have genders :downs:" did so just to mess up foreigners trying to learn the language.

"Is an airplane a he or she? What about a pencil? Or candy?" The only way I got through German class was to memorize the vocabulary list in order. Das die der die das, das das die der. I don't even remember which words they go with.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Come on, you left out all the accusatives, datives and I think genetives. Those are the real pain, at least there are some basic rules on determining der/das/die.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Thank loving god I'm not alone. :negative:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

MisterBishop posted:

Oh God. I think whoever invented "All nouns should have genders :downs:" did so just to mess up foreigners trying to learn the language.

"Is an airplane a he or she? What about a pencil? Or candy?" The only way I got through German class was to memorize the vocabulary list in order. Das die der die das, das das die der. I don't even remember which words they go with.

My language also comes with genders. I'm still pissed that a ship is a she in English.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is why I prefer Japanese.

...well, that and the puns.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"Funny" detail about dutch is that it's got gendered nouns as well, but they're very slowly being eroded away. Which makes it particularly tricky for foreigners to learn them because some nouns have female forms but have been merged into the male form, making it A. confusing and B. impossible to predict. In some cases the regional dialect are actually more useful, because they have a more clear gender-indicator suffix.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is why I prefer Japanese.

...well, that and the puns.

You baka gaijin.

As for languages I prefer Tamil, which if I remember has like 20 Genders.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Senior Scarybagels posted:

You baka gaijin.

As for languages I prefer Tamil, which if I remember has like 20 Genders.

So it's the language of Tumblr, then.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Eh, it only just recently added transgender genders to it's language apparently.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mordaedil posted:

That's not really true though. While Goethe is still perfectly understandable, there is a lot of super archaic vocabulary. That's basically what "Ye Olde English" amounts to unless you want to go back to Canterbury Tales "Ye Olde English", in which case you could find a German Equivalent in the Nibelungenlied. You've got Early New High German for a middle-ground that could be used to give it that "Shakespearian" feel.

But you don't find things like that in German media the way you do in English media because, ahhh, glorifying German history is something that people are really cautious about doing. Plus, changing demographics has made a lot of the older German literature more complicated. I remember there was a controversy about a poem we were reading, I forget what. It was about the siege of Vienna and had some less than flattering things to say about the Turk.

rlloyd3
Feb 3, 2012

Eh, it only just recently added transgender genders to it's language apparently.

We are truly living in a post-genital world.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Witcher has same kind of deal, Sapkowski uses (really) archaic language that makes translating in general somewhat difficult.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Old Grey Guy posted:

Oblivion's German version hardly deserves the term 'translation', it's one of the worst in a game in recent years, and it adds even more bugs and breaks quests due to flagrant incompetence.

Yeah it seemed super-literal and kind of easy to follow for this dude who took German IV fifteen years ago, and a couple of times it sound like the voice actor corrects the grammar of whoever translated the script.
A couple of the Giants games have some awkward English phrasing here and there- but I imagine it's not as egregious as what's going on here.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

GuyUpNorth posted:

Witcher has same kind of deal, Sapkowski uses (really) archaic language that makes translating in general somewhat difficult.

Until he starts going on about genetics, then it feels bizarrely anachronistic.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

:golfclap:

So what was it before? Differentiating how male you are by abs? I don't really know what's the stereotypical indication of male-ness in SE Asia.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Man, the Lithuanian translator went all out with his translation. You almost want to lick the pages it's that good.

RedTonic posted:

Until he starts going on about genetics, then it feels bizarrely anachronistic.

Anything to do with Ciri is poo poo! Except for the bandit part and maybe unicorns. Call me a MRA, but she basically hijacks the books, and introduces some cosmology that I feel detracts from the book.

Ahem. Sorry.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The Malapropisms are in the German version too... Too bad German voice acting is literally the worst poo poo in the entire universe.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Buck Turgidson posted:

The Malapropisms are in the German version too... Too bad German voice acting is literally the worst poo poo in the entire universe.

It's not even Funny poo poo, like Resident Evil. It's just poo poo.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

So what was it before? Differentiating how male you are by abs? I don't really know what's the stereotypical indication of male-ness in SE Asia.
Mostly it was whether or not you had a penis.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Mostly it was whether or not you had a penis.

20 different ways to have/not to have a penis? Glad I never went to wherever Tamil TIgers are.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There are tens of millions of Tamils in southern India too, it's not just Sri Lanka.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I would play an entire game full of Rugdumphs and Rugdumph accessories.

Is his daughter the same way?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Glazius posted:

Man, I would play an entire game full of Rugdumphs and Rugdumph accessories.

Is his daughter the same way?

She is not, no. Plus she looks like a gross ol' hag.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

She is not, no. Plus she looks like a gross ol' hag.

don't hagshame

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hist 101

Right! Having mopped up all the gruntwork in the Fighters Guild, it seems we're needed for PLOT in Chorrol.

:monocle:

Absolutely. I'm in.

So yes, we're off to raid a cave they've decided to occupy so as to...expand their influence, I guess? I'm not really sure how that works.

Our main objective here is to capture one of their higher-ups. Much like the Blackwood Company themselves, don't ask me why he's in this cave.

And, well...how many times can I say it? It's a cave!

Daedric Armor is in full effect thanks to level scaling, and that's about the only notable thing about this venture.

A lot of them are wearing enchanted pieces that I have no real interest in, but eventually I find a full set!

Lots and lots of crap, including my old armor, is dumped into a chest, and...

There we go, lookin' nice and grimdark now! ...whoops, no greaves yet.

That's better.

Holy crap, this is turning out to be a pretty worthwhile dungeon actually. :eyepop:

We inevitably make it to the high-ranking lizardman, who's smart enough to come quietly.

We level up on the way out, too! Could've done with a better strength bonus, but we're certainly not hurting for carrying capacity thanks to our shiny new boots.

Aaaand stage two vampirism decided to be a thing. Good.

Thankfully the cave's pretty close to Chorrol, so it's not really an issue.

Interrogation time! We can either rough him up or butter him up here. I think you can guess which one we're doing.

How large is the Blackwood Company?
We are over one hundred strong now. We grow by the day!
Who is your leader?
No! I will not betray him! I will not tell you!

Ajum-Kajin is uncooperative, but more importantly look at this dialog option. We have had NO REASON to believe the Blackwood Company has a dark, horrible secret. They've just been portrayed as ruthless and well-equipped up until this point, so...why are we asking this? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "bad writing".

A few punches later, he's willing to divulge who leads the Blackwood Company.

When pressed about the source of their power again, however, he chooses suicide by magic ring. Clever use of game mechanics, Bethesda!

For our trouble, we get the Amulet of Interrogation, which buffs our speechcraft and hand-to-hand skills by six levels each. It's a leveled item, and for some reason we got the middling version instead of the best version. To get the best version, you have to be level 10-19. This is the case for EVERY leveled quest reward in the Fighters Guild, stupidly enough.

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: ((-40E + :psyduck: - :yohoho: + (3 * :eng99: ))/:regd08:) + SUMMON THE BRETHREN)^:negative:

Our next mission? Literally waltz right into the Blackwood Company and pretend to join them.

We bluff our way in by saying there's no work to be had in the Fighters Guild, which techincally isn't a lie at this point, really.

drat, that was fast.

And this is pretty ceremonious.

Armor quality's kind of all over the map in this organization, huh?

Take this. It will increase your skills in battle. We use it often. It is a good, good thing.
What IS it?
This? Why, it is a gift from the swamps of Argonia. Sap of the Hist. A present from my homeland. The Hist are generous to our. So generous.
You smuggle...whatever this is?
Don't be stupid. We have returned with the Hist itself. One beautiful Hist, who gives her gifts to all the Company.
...you smuggled a tree, then?
The clever mages made it possible. Magic and iron. But this is not the time to talk. You drink your gift and go with your new brothers.

...hm. Well, khajiit has eaten stranger things!

Uh-oh.

Whoa okay. This is the first time the game's straight-up teleported me, to my recollection.

:hist101:

Khajiit can do this. Simple.

Hmm...where are the residents?

Perhaps they have fled. All the simpler. All the easier. Good.

Simple, simple, simple!

NOTHING simpler!

...what happened?
That's what I was getting ready to ask you. You were found unconscious on the streets of Leyawiin.
I was?
Some of your Guild brothers found you and brought you to me. Good to see some of them think like we do. Now, what happened out there?
We...drank Hist Sap extracted from their private tree, and then found ourselves fighting goblins at Water's Edge. ...I think.
They're using Hist Sap? And they claim to have brought a tree into Cyrodiil? Amazing. I can't imagine what the sap might d to non-Argonians.
Khajiit believes the answer is "gently caress up", friend.
I'm not suprirsed you were found the way you were. I imagine those men have built up a tolerance to the stuff.

Sensible enough!

No...

...urgh. I...I have to tell Modryn!

They're dead...all of them. We only SAW goblins...
No. the entire town...I realize you must be disgusted with yourself. I'm sorry for that. It was the Hist Sap, though, not you.
Y...yes.
We now know the threat this group poses. Perhaps better than they themselves know it. We must take decisive action now.

This tree is the source of our problems. It is an abomination of nature, and it must be destroyed.
I agree wholeheartedly.
As long as the Blackwood Company has access to the sap, we are all in danger. I fear they no longer know what they do.

And NOW we have our final mission.

It's a very, very fighty affair, as you might imagine. We end up getting a key to the basement off of one of the corpses, but before we deal with the tree, we're gonna do some glitchy nonsense.

If you have more than one of a scroll, equip it.

Then highlight, but don't equip, an item you have less of than you have of the scroll that you just equipped.

Some simple division happens, and in this case 2 Alluring Gaze scroll / 1 Aquatic Evolution scroll = 2 Aquatic Evolution scrolls! :eng101:

So I spend some time accumulating a good stack of scrolls in this fashion.

And in so doing, I reach even greater and greater denominations of multiplication...

...until I have AN ABSOLUTE FUCKTON OF ONE KIND OF SCROLL...

...and can rectify the fact that the game has not made nearly enough non-steel arrows available to me.

See this? This isn't an arrow.

It's a fuckload of arrows occupying the exact same space so hard that the game didn't even know what to do about it and hosed up the texture.

THAT should be enough for a while.

Now, let's kill us a hosed up lizard tree!

First we have to dispatch the mages minding the thing, which is easy enough.

But then you have to know to grab these loose pipes.

And THEN you have to figure out that these Sap Pumps, which don't respond to you if you touch them normally, not even with a text box...

...CATCH FIRE BECAUSE YOU TOUCH THEM WHILE CARRYING LOOSE PIPES.

No compass marker to point you to the pipes, no text box to suggest that you need to find items in the room to complete your objective BY INTERACTING WITH THE WORLD IN A WAY THE PLAYER HAS NEVER HAD TO. You could argue that it only requires a simple action on the part of the player, but my counterpoint would be that it was so non-transparent I had to look it up.

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: ((-45E + :psyduck: - :yohoho: + (3 * :eng99: ))/:regd08:) + SUMMON THE BRETHREN)^:negative:

Oh hey it's Maglir. gently caress off, Maglir.

As you might expect, after this we get promoted to Master of the Fighters Guild and congratulated for our brave actions. All that good stuff. Rather than bore you with the details of that, however, I should like to point out that I completed the Dark Brotherhood in the same play session.

This is also something I won't be covering, because it was THE loving WORST. Remember when we got that letter out of a rock telling us to go kill a dude? Well, we did that, and then went to whatever crate or cubbyhole or tree stump all the way across the map that the letter told us to go to when we were done with the assassination. Inside? 500 gold and another letter. Invariably.

One quest in particular was ALMOST interesting and had us tracking down a woman's sons, who were scattered across Cyrodiil. She believed us to be a courier service specializing in buying and delivering gifts, and consequently gave us, get this, A LETTER WITH THE LOCATIONS OF HER CHILDREN ON IT.

This proceeded as normal but HO HO DEAR READER, there was a lovely twist! Some traitor in the ranks was messing with the notes and making us kill OTHER DARK BROTHERHOOD MEMBERS. Lucien Lachance died an offscreen death, we exposed the traitor and the Night Mother declared us a super-good assassin of destiny and poo poo and proceeded to make us the Big Kahuna.

So at the end of the day? Sure, there may have been some plotholes, there may have been some lovely quests, but I think the Fighters Guild was better. Why? The writers actually gave a poo poo. For as little as they did with it, the Hist was actually a pretty goddamn intriguing story element. And their late game didn't involve replacing voiced NPC dialog with dry written instructions, it involved loving Lord Rugdumph. It didn't have a ham-fistedly sinister story with some babbling journal entry and the grimdark ghost mistress of the dark murder guild.

Also look at this lovely painting Oreyn did of himself torturing an Argonian oh my god. :allears:

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: ((-40E + :psyduck: - :yohoho: + (3 * :eng99: ))/:regd08:) + SUMMON THE BRETHREN)^:negative:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 6, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

quote:

Man just look at those smug-rear end scamps :3:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

quote:

Oreyn appears to use MSPaint. The mohawk is awesome, though.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dark Brotherhood
Yeah, I was waiting for you to finish the DB to just say that I never really got what was cool about that guild: I mean, they are basically a bunch of murderous and gullible idiots. A couple of the quests are interesting, though.
Meanwhile the Fighters' Guild is a slog through same-y caverns, but having the player massacre a village while on a massive :catdrugs:-fueled trip seeing the residents as goblins is a very memorable sequence, and it's interesting that there is an actual Hist tree in play.
There is the plot-hole of the protagonist being found in the streets of Leyawiin, since you'd think after what they pulled, the Blackwood Company would keep a close eye on their recruits and make sure they are dropped back into their barracks, but then again they are clearly evil mercenaries, and like shown with the DB evil is dumb. :v:

theshim posted:

Man just look at those smug-rear end scamps :3:
The scamps are the gift that keeps on giving. :allears:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

radintorov posted:

Yeah, I was waiting for you to finish the DB to just say that I never really got what was cool about that guild: I mean, they are basically a bunch of murderous and gullible idiots. A couple of the quests are interesting, though.
As I've mentioned in the Skyrim thread I wouldn't mind seing the player character work for a more "professional" assassins guild, like the Morag Tong, instead of a bunch of dumbass death cultists but the way that Bethsoft seems to have a hardon for the DB, I'd say that it seems pretty unlikely in any future TES games.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

As I've mentioned in the Skyrim thread I'd rather see the player character work for a more "professional" assassins guild, like the Morag Tong, instead of a bunch dumbass death cultists but the way that Bethsoft seems to have a hardon for the DB, I'd say that it seems pretty unlikely in any future TES games.
I have to agree with that sentiment: a professional assassin sounds a lot cooler than a murderous religious thug, in the same way as a proper thief that focuses on heists and the like instead of some dumb questline that involve more dungeon-delving than actual thieving and daedric deals would. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

radintorov posted:

It's not so much the fact that the Dark Brotherhood has a less interesting story that bothers me, but the fact that they drop any pretense of respecting the player's time as soon as you get to the "Dead Drop" assassinations.

• Locked thread