Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
No transforming ability is ever worth it if it forces you to give up the skills you spent the last forty hours of game grinding up. I don't think vampire and werewolf forms in Skyrim scaled with anything except possibly level. Shame, it would've been really cool to be a thunderwolf or something as a Destruction mage. ...I think it wasn't even possible to cast non-exclusive vampire spells as a vampire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
"Hello. These are super shape shifting vampires never before seen and likely not even mentioned in that one book about vampires. We transform into Witcher vampires, but that's because we're super special. Enjoy our your new form, which is in no way a severely limiting extended superpower",

Can you chose not to become a vampire, get back to your Dawnguard buddies, and then become a cool vampire slayer with a castle that's a little to sunny for its location?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

JcDent posted:

Can you chose not to become a vampire, get back to your Dawnguard buddies, and then become a cool vampire slayer with a castle that's a little to sunny for its location?

Yes. You're still stuck with Serana for the entire storyline tho'.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

JcDent posted:

"Hello. These are super shape shifting vampires never before seen and likely not even mentioned in that one book about vampires. We transform into Witcher vampires, but that's because we're super special. Enjoy our your new form, which is in no way a severely limiting extended superpower",

I refused the head vampire's offer after his "BEHOLD MY RECEDING HAIRLINE" moment. He kicked me out of his castle and I went back to my Dawnguard buddies. Currently looking for a guy so we can use his trained, armored murder trolls to get that elder scroll back.

Wyld Karde posted:

Yes. You're still stuck with Serana for the entire storyline tho'.

awwwwwwww, can't I just ditch her at the inn or something? She was really clingy earlier, and ruined one of my sneaking missions because she refused to stay put.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You gotta give props to Serana for not letting a little thing like an incestuous demonic orgy get in the way of being a stereotypical emo chick. Living the dream.

Also later you will be using dwarven crossbows to murder all the vampires. Or at least, you should be. I don't care if your character isn't an archer. :colbert:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Hey, nothing said about incestuous. She and her mom were both just raped by Molag Bal, nothing said about them doing anything with each other.

Harkon was just lucky Bal wasn’t apparently in the mood that day, he's usually not so discriminating.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Serana was the worst part of the transformation bit, if only because she got to use the vampire powers without transforming, so she could actually mix them with casting spells, stealth and anything else and actually make practical use of them. Since the player couldn't, the inconsistency was just annoying.

Of course, I do realise they couldn't have her transform into a Legacy of Kain vampire, because then she'd stop being the requisite vampire goth chick for a moment. :sigh:

Metaligatr
Mar 10, 2013

Khajit was up all night to get lucky.

Lizard Wizard posted:

In case no one picked up on the remnant of my failed gimmick in the update, here's something else that I scrapped:

Truly beautiful. :allears: (I can see why you didn't make a full update of this though.)

Man, I'm so hype about Shivering Isles. The difference in quality between that expansion and the base game is frankly staggering. Also, Haskill is objectively the best.

Oh wait is this skyrimchat now? I don't really have much of an opinion on Dawnguard, loved the crossbows though and I'm sad you can't really be a crossbow vampire because you only get the improved ones by joining the vampire slayers.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Metaligatr posted:

Also, Haskill is objectively the best.

I'd listen to him passive-aggressively read the phone book any day. :allears:

On the subject of Dawnguard, to this day I hate Serana and she is the reason I only ever played through Dawnguard once. She would constantly either be right up on me screaming her same two lines of random dialogue over and over and over and OVER AGAIN WITHOUT STOPPING UNTIL I WANTED TO CLAW OUT MY EYES AND EARS AND DIE or she'd be zooming off to attack something a mile away while I was trying to play a stealth character. My loathing for her is limitless.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I've never played this expansion at all, but having dealt with ol' Sheogorath in Morrowind, Skyrim and my recent ventures into Elder Scrolls Online (which also had our buddy Haskill there), I have high hopes.

I've seen footage of ESO Haskill/read their lore article and he's pretty badly written. Worse, he's badly dressed. :colbert: Time to experience the real thing.

EDIT: To clarify, because I don't really mean to sound like a nerd who's just mad about new things, whoever is writing ESO Haskill literally seems to have missed the joke. Haskill speaks very politely and tells you how delightful he finds your presence and how wise and benevolent Sheogorath is, but in such a way that you know he's actually seething and wants to smother the player character with a pillow, and that's hysterical.

ESO Haskill flatly says stuff like "Sheogorath is irritating." :geno:

So that's my actual specific complaint. That and the outfit, which cannot be forgiven.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 23, 2015

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lizard Wizard posted:

In case no one picked up on the remnant of my failed gimmick in the update, here's something else that I scrapped:

i mean it was so subtle

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
Gotta love that Grumite Shield. Nothing stops blows like a dead Horseshoe crab strapped to your forearm.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Not going to lie, those butterflies were a really good effect.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Being a volki-whatsit Vampire in skyrim gives you legit cool powers and things - you charge up the tree and you can literally throw people around and the base drain health spell is neat and pretty much all you need combat wise.

It's just that it looks goofy as gently caress, and all the characters and equipment associated with Count Dorkula are boring as poo poo in comparison to Fantasy Blade and his Bros. Plus, like, armoured trolls.

On the other hand, the only way the plot of Dawnguard makes any sense is if you're planning on joining the vampires from the very start or the PC is trying to get into the resident vampire Goth girls pants so there is that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

You haven't done the Sheogorath shrine quest yet, right? :ohdear:

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
I think it's been done.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ghost Stromboli posted:

I think it's been done.

Aww. There's special voice acting for it depending on your progress in the SI main quest.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Pyroi posted:

i mean it was so subtle

Well, I don't get it. I just assumed that was 'insert hold muzak here'. What's the reference?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, I don't get it. I just assumed that was 'insert hold muzak here'. What's the reference?

The menacing is from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, a little anime/manga you may have heard of and should go and watch/read right now.

It happens whenever there is something menacing and/or evil in the shot.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Elder Updates LXXII: Literally just a link to Crunchyroll so you can watch JoJo

Pyroi posted:

The menacing is from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, a little anime/manga you may have heard of and should go and watch/read right now.

It's true, go watch it here!

...khajiit wonders if this is canon. :sterv:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 24, 2015

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LizardWizard posted:

Shivering Isles

Fuckin' A.

Do you have Knights of the Nine? If not, don't worry.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

MinistryofLard posted:

Being a volki-whatsit Vampire in skyrim gives you legit cool powers and things - you charge up the tree and you can literally throw people around and the base drain health spell is neat and pretty much all you need combat wise.

It's just that it looks goofy as gently caress, and all the characters and equipment associated with Count Dorkula are boring as poo poo in comparison to Fantasy Blade and his Bros. Plus, like, armoured trolls.

On the other hand, the only way the plot of Dawnguard makes any sense is if you're planning on joining the vampires from the very start or the PC is trying to get into the resident vampire Goth girls pants so there is that.

There's literally no point in joining the vampires, because even on the Buffy side you get like three different times you can vamp up, and after you wrap the questline up you can always ask Serana to bite you. As long as you don't cure your lycanthropy beforehand, you can flip between the two (since Aela will offer to turn you back into a werewolf if you take up the vampire's offer without curing yourself first).

The vampires don't even get cool animal companions. They have gargoyles and death hounds, while the Buffys get trolls and huskies. :kimchi:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was just a spooky laughter going "go-go-go-go". Which is weird, but you know.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

In Stitches

Just beyond where we left off, there seems to be some kind of structure ahead.

That path there leads to a dungeon of some kind if memory serves. Maybe not exactly that, but it's not progress.

Instead we're just pressing forward towards what appears to be a village.

There's also some definitely spooky area on another side path, but probably best to see what's what in that settlement before we get distracted.

It's still alive! It seems to get excited every time I pass a puddle.
I didn't get a screenshot, but Swamp Tentacles have Restore Personality, Water Breathing, Water Walking and Fortify Health. You'll have to trust me on that.

Hmm...civilization?

Khajiit wants to see also.

...a giant?
You there! Stay away from the Gatekeeper! Let us handle this!

The Gatekeeper?! :monocle:

I think perhaps I will keep my shield up. Just in case.
This should be EASY!

Come on, fight harder!

...this one does not disagree, Redguard.

Why isn't he dying? Keep fighting, men!

Fight like you mean it!
Not pictured: blood.

Retreeeeeat! :derp:

Hey, so remember the time we thought that orc was fair game to murder and we wouldn't get a bounty for murdering him?

Yeah we thought wrong. Rrrrrrrreload!

The zone goes much the same as before, except...

...Khajiit will go ahead and mark this down as "magical". :stare:
Oh man. We were pretty lucky to get this. I'm not going to go into what it does just yet, but just know that WE HAVE A THING CALLED A MADNESS CLAYMORE MATRIX.

Right, magical boxes aside, those adeventurers still get creamed. Let's be productive this time, starting with following these two back to the village.

Excuse me...

Welcome to my town!
Er, right. This is Passwall, you said?
The place was pretty deserted when I got here. Of course, once I was here, others followed. Can't say I blame them.
So that monster up there...that would be the Gatekeeper, yes?
He guards the Gates of Madness. Don't get too close to him. He'll kill you, and it will leae a mess in my town.

We will never see Jayred Ice-Veins.

Gates of Madness, you say?
They say the keys are sewn up in the Gatekeeper's body. Basically, that means you're not getting in.

Hmm. So the Gatekeeper MUST die. But I need more information first.

You.

...yes, I will try not to. What can you tell me about Passwall?
It's a nice enough place. Less dirty than others. I feel like I belong. That old man, in the room made out of butterflies, he said to wait here.

No really, we're never going to see that guy ever.

And the Gates of Madness?
One leads to the lands of Mania, and one to Dementia. The Gatekeeper makes sure no one gets in who isn't supposed to.
You have been not unhelpful.
Don't touch anything! :tinfoil:

And who is THIS?

Miss!

No, I don't think so. You're an adventurer? How disgusting. Why don't you go back the way you came?
I will not. What can you tell me about the Gatekeeper?
The Gatekeeper is my child, the consummation of Sheogorath's wisdom in the womb of my genius. It was a painful and bloody birth, but well worth it. His brothers were less...successful.
...Khajiit is trying not to imagine this. Khajiit is failing.
He won't bother those blessed by Lord Sheogorath. You, however, will die trying to get the keys from my child.
Then I must kill him.
Try him if you like. Believe me, after you die, I can put your flesh and bones to very good use.

If it lives, it can die, yes? I will find a way.
I'm bored with you. Why don't you talk to Nanette? She likes talking. I'll need to cure her of that habit soon enough.

Iwillbegoingnow. :stonk:

Okay, now we have a lead. Time to find one of those two people, if nothing else.

Nah I'm just yankin' your chain, we need to steal poo poo first.

Ohoho! Khajiit likes ALL of this!

Madness Ore and Amber - both very good to have indeed, as we'll eventually be able to turn them into sweet weapons and armor. Needless to say, we're gonna be hoarding the poo poo out of both materials.

Oh nice, progress.

GAH!

...let us speak to Nanette. Yes.

Do you hear that sound? It's like a horse dying...
:sterv:

He's Relmyna's crowning achievement. The Gatekeeper keeps out people who don't belong in the Shivering Isles. She made him in the Gardens of Flesh and Bone. She's my teacher. She's going to teach me all her secrets.

Hmmmmmm?
I'd like to tell you, but...really, I shouldn't say anything more.
No? Would you instead tell ALL THIS GOLD?

I've been dying to tell someone. You seem trustworthy enough...but don't tell Relmyna I said anything!
This one's lips are sealed.
Her Gatekeeper is flawed! Her tears hurt him!
:monocle:
Her tears somehow agitate the daedra bound to the Gatekeeper's body. Her tears make it really restless. It strains harder against the warding magic.

Hmm. I just might!
Just don't tell her I said anything. I might get another lesson in the nature of Pain. I don't like those lessons very much.

There's also a diary at the inn that tells you about the tears. Anyway, being that it's about midnight, let's get on over to the Gatekeeper's stomping ground.

No, it's too much. I don't know why I keep coming to visit you...stay away! My tears, they burn you, don't you remember? Stay back, child!
aw geez :smith:

...this is sopping wet.

Sterv hopes never to see another handkerchief again.

...uh-oh.

Taste sorrow, you-

...ow.

Oh no. Oh no no no no no no no...

WHAT :magical:
So hey, y'know how the Mundane Ring has Reflect Spell? Yeah, that just procced on the Gatekeeper's knockback attack.

Good enough for me! Eat tear!

There we go! Relmyna's Tears has an effect of "Harm the Gatekeeper" for a duration of 120 seconds. Functionally, the Gatekeeper's invincibility comes from a constant Restore Health effect, which due to scaling is 14 per second.

But anyway, Relmyna's Tears disable that, meaning we can, well, HARM him. I distinctly recall that other guy giving some Bone Arrows if you do his part of the quest, which lets you damage the Gatekeeper even more quickly.

Still though, we've got six full minutes of vulnerability, which is more than enough to wear him down . Mind you, he can still harm US. He's no pushover, so-

WAIT I COULD HAVE JUST USED A REGULAR POISON AND SKIPPED THIS WHOLE QUEST. :psyboom:

Oh hey we won. Next time, we'll go through them gates. :toot:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 29, 2015

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
BDSM necromancer queen threatening to cut your tongue out is a real good way to leave an impression on you for the start of the DLC.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Lizard Wizard posted:

WAIT I COULD HAVE JUST USED A REGULAR POISON AND SKIPPED THIS WHOLE QUEST. :psyboom:

Well, of course. Only a mad person would get the idea of trying to poison someone with tears of all things, instead of something more ordinary.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Wait, what. You could just use a poison to negate the healing effect?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I always go with both options: shoot the Gatekeeper with arrows made of his brothers' bones and coated with the tears of his mother.

... somehow that sounds a lot more metal than I'd realized it would.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Bethesda games are often featuring the most badass ideas on paper with the most :effort: execution possible.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

Why wouldn't you be able to? Relmyna's Tears is probably just a Damage Health poison that calls the value of the healing effect.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mordaedil posted:

Bethesda games are often featuring the most badass ideas on paper with the most :effort: execution possible.

elderscrolls.txt

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mordaedil posted:

Or just beat the Gatekeeper to hell. Pretty sure when I came through Shivering Isles it was post-main quest and I was able to kill the Gatekeeper just using my appropriately cheesed sword without bothering with either quest.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Gatekeeper

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Or just blast it with spells with a summon to tank. You don't even need to stand on the rocks nearby that it can't reach.

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.

Mordaedil posted:

So, rather than make the monster immune to anything *not* coated in the "Mother's Tears" poison, they just gave it a regen, created a poison that specifically counteracted said regen, and assumed no one would try to take it out like any other regenerating-video-game-super-monster?
I mean, I'll give them credit, I never managed to teach myself programming to make *my* high-school D&D ripoff game a reality, so kudos, but I'm getting a serious "The Room" vibe from this.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

JesusGeorge posted:

So, rather than make the monster immune to anything *not* coated in the "Mother's Tears" poison, they just gave it a regen, created a poison that specifically counteracted said regen, and assumed no one would try to take it out like any other regenerating-video-game-super-monster?
I mean, I'll give them credit, I never managed to teach myself programming to make *my* high-school D&D ripoff game a reality, so kudos, but I'm getting a serious "The Room" vibe from this.

I don't think they assumed or intended it to be necessary, they just stuck a thing in there for flavor and to help out non game-spergs. It's totally possible to just out-damage his regeneration in any number of ways.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

To be fair, it's not terribly obvious that it has regen unless you crack open the Construction Kit or a wiki.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I need a mod that lets me use madness ore as a dagger, it always looked ready-to-stab right out of the ground.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Screw that, let me shoot it from my bow. :black101:

Metaligatr
Mar 10, 2013

Khajit was up all night to get lucky.
Ahhh, the Gatekeeper. Good times. My orc beat it to death with her BARE FISTS because part of her character concept is "ball of pure rage". :black101:
(Granted I was using a mod that was basically "your fists are now on fire" so I'm not sure how doable it is without cheating.)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Just a heads up, the end tags for the latest update are a little messed up in the table of contents.

On a semi-related note, I'm now currently watching the JoJo and it's fantastic :allears: Just started Stardust Crusaders and I'm already loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GeneralYeti posted:

Just a heads up, the end tags for the latest update are a little messed up in the table of contents.

On a semi-related note, I'm now currently watching the JoJo and it's fantastic :allears: Just started Stardust Crusaders and I'm already loving it.

Yay! Was I responsible?

• Locked thread