Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Okay the song alone wasn't much, but...this is the weeping of Akatosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:roflolmao: Oh my Sterv. :roflolmao:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Oblivion modding is over. Nobody needs to create a mod ever again.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

That is possibly the greatest mod in the entire world.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

This is too perfect. I only hope the ears are weightless plot items that stack endlessly every time you mosey past a guardsman.
EDIT: Though honestly, I think I'd rather them be droppable, so I could leave them as a calling card.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
That mod should reduce the AI detection range of the guard for each time they say it. Only then will it be complete.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

While looking through some tumblr stuff today, I found another instance of Sterv-ness in real life.

Perhaps he is a descendant of our wall-eyed hero.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Should have called the object a "Legion Ear".

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Oh, by the way, seeing as I feel like having some fun with this game ever since this thread has convinced me to play it; I present to you my List of Silliness:
1: Reverse-Pickpocket things like bound armor or other weightless clothing onto various townspeople, with enchantments like Fortify speed, or Drain Fatigue. Watch as some fall asleep and others run everywhere.
2: Create a spell to allow me a Super Horse. (100 to Speed, 100 to Jumping, WaterWalking.)
3: Learn the spell from Sanguine's quest that makes people forcibly naked. See if it can be applied to Custom Spells.
4: If 3 doesn't work, replace people's clothing with bound armor, steal their clothing from them while they sleep, cast the spell to break their armor. Laugh at them.
5: Fill various houses with hundreds of pieces of fruit/veg, dead fish, or human skulls.
6: 100 alchemy to create potions that boost my magic into the thousands with no side effects.
7: Conspire to make beggars wear rich people clothing.
8: Likewise, make the rich go naked.
9: Give guards the best sword in the game, and equipment that drains their blade skill to 0.
Edit:
10: Duplicate several hundred bottles of Skooma. Go on a drug-fueled rampage. Allow beggars to join in.
11: Enchant a ring or something that does one point continuous fire damage. Run around while on fire.
12: Bring people out to sea via boots of water walking. Steal back their boots.
13: Frenzy the guards in Cheydinhal. Laugh at the civil war.
14: Give one of the imperial city guards bound armor with 60% Chameleon, frenzy, and various other goodies. Preferably an immortal one, like Lex.

Anything that you guys want to add to that?
P.S.: As I am playing on console, only stuff you can do without mods. I have KotN and SI, if there's anything from there that you can think of.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 20, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Blaziken386 posted:

1: Reverse-Pickpocket things like bound armor or other weightless clothing onto various townspeople, with enchantments like Fortify speed, or Drain Fatigue. Watch as some fall asleep and others run everywhere.

Back when I was playing Oblivion I wanted to train Hand-to-Hand, so I enchanted a pair of Bound Boots with water-walking and gave them to Lex. It was a little janky and for some reason he'd stand there doing nothing sometimes, but slowly fist-fighting the guard captain up and down the river was surprisingly fun, especially when you'd knock him unconscious and his body would ragdoll under the water.

quote:

2: Create a spell to allow me a Super Horse. (100 to Speed, 100 to Jumping, WaterWalking.)

This definitely works, and because a horse's actual movement speed is like x10 of an NPC, even adding an extra 20 Speed to a horse will have them zipping around insanely fast. 100 Speed would probably bring you from Anvil to Leyawiin in minutes.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Blaziken386 posted:

3: Learn the spell from Spoiler's quest that makes people spoil themselves. See if it can be applied to Custom Spells.

Even if it could be created onto custom spells, which it can't, it only works during that quest anyway.

One of my favorite things to do is forcibly bound weapons to people and then use a massive frenzy spell and watch everyone go nuts.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

curiousTerminal posted:

Even if it could be created onto custom spells, which it can't, it only works during that quest anyway.

Oh, poo. Guess I'm using option 4, then. More effort, same hilarity.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blaziken386 posted:

3: Learn the spell from Sanguine's quest that makes people forcibly naked. See if it can be applied to Custom Spells.

I remember that Midas Magic (probably the best mod ever) actually did this, but it had to be designed from the ground up and didn't entirely work.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Cleretic posted:

I remember that Midas Magic (probably the best mod ever) actually did this, but it had to be designed from the ground up and didn't entirely work.

That seems strange, since I am fairly sure I, as a hormone-riddled teen at the time and barely starting to figure out the whole 'modding' thing, found the spell-effect and made my own perfectly-functional spell (Hey, the effect was called something like 'EXTRA SPELL' in all capitals, while everything else had more reasonable names like 'Damage Fatigue'. It's the kinda thing one gets curious about)
'Course, half the time it got reflected back unto me and I had to unequip and re-equip my armor.

But that might have been in Morrowind, if that game had the EXTRA SPELL effect coded yet.
It was the first game it could be done in, anyway, I just don't think it existed before Oblivion.

Oh, and I remember that you can't do it in-game - you have to actually bring out the modding tools.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wolfsheim posted:

Back when I was playing Oblivion I wanted to train Hand-to-Hand, so I enchanted a pair of Bound Boots with water-walking and gave them to Lex. It was a little janky and for some reason he'd stand there doing nothing sometimes, but slowly fist-fighting the guard captain up and down the river was surprisingly fun, especially when you'd knock him unconscious and his body would ragdoll under the water.

I found mudcrab boxing in Morrowind to be surprisingly cathartic.

Blaziken386 posted:

This is a shockingly socially aware ploy, and I think I should try it now that I've reached the "I'm done with the game" stage for Skyrim. Thank you for the idea.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
drat it, the "next page" button has stopped working.

8 months of Oblivionning in about a week, now I have to wait for updates like everyone else.

I'm sterving.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I did a hand-to-hand playthrough of this game once. Part way through I got a quest that needed me to go through a ghost-infested ruin. Had to grind a little bit to get to whatever level it is where you can punch ghosts. It was very fun just punching the poo poo out of everything though.

Oh, and for the list of silliness, make a ring or something that does like one point continuous fire damage and just run around on fire everywhere. That was always something I liked to do. Then make a Bound Helmet with the same thing and reverse pickpocket it on to people you don't like. :getin:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

McDragon posted:

Oh, and for the list of silliness, make a ring or something that does like one point continuous fire damage and just run around on fire everywhere. That was always something I liked to do. Then make a Bound Helmet with the same thing and reverse pickpocket it on to people you don't like. :getin:

Insane Khajiit running around on fire? Yes please. :D

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Put it on Essential characters to keep them busy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

McDragon posted:

This was a great way to kill merchants in Morrowind :v:

Ohhhhhh this ring is worth a lot of money you say? Well I'll just wear that to keep it sa- :supaburn:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hope you like books

So, the main quest has ordained that we go see Baurus about the Mythic Dawn. First, though, we're gonna do a spot of enchanting. Carrying capacity's always nice!

After that, I steeled myself for the long grueling journey to the Imperial City.

Nah I'm just yankin' your chain, I took the teleporter.

Khajiit has important business to attend to. But first... :3:

Here. My finest axe.

And what I believe to be various rings belonging to dead people.

And, er...

Some poison.

And I would like some arrows.

Now, to the Elven Gardens district.

...khajiit does not follow. :sterv:
Don't talk. Just follow my lead.
:psyboom:
Remember, wait for him to follow me. I want to see what he'll do.

Now I wait.

...huh.

He disappeared into here.

:stonk:

Hang on, Baurus!

Search his body. I'll keep an eye out, in case any of his friends are nearby.

"Mythic Dawn", huh? Let's have a look.

It...tingles a little.

Looks like a bunch of cult nonsense. ...hang on. G-R-E-E

N-E-M

P-E-R

O-R

...Green Emperor? Something to do with Green Emperor Way?

This is fine. It is a bad time for us all. Khajiit trusts you have learned things about our enemies?
The assassins who killed the Emperor were part of a daedric cult known as the Mythic Dawn.
I just want to point out that Baurus prounces it dee-uh-dric. It's a little infuriating.

No matter, we can handle them. On a happier note, I have found Uriel's son.
Thank Talos! The Blades will protect Martin until he can claim his throne, don't worry. Or we will die trying.
Also, the enemy has claimed the Amulet of Kings. ...from Jauffre. Not from Sterv.
What? They took it from Jauffre? Things are worse than I had thought.

What, then, do we do?
There's a scholar at the Arcane University. Tar-Meena's her name. Supposed to be an expert on daedric cults.

If you learn anything, you can find me at Luther Broad's. May Talos guide you.
I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that we got a little pop-up dialog telling us to show Baurus the book, and he had nothing to say about it other than that. Pretty sloppy, game.

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: (-13 + :psyduck: - :yohoho: + (3 * :eng99: ))/:regd08:) + SUMMON THE BRETHREN

So we shuttle ourselves off to the Arcane University where we learn that, shockingly, we can find out about the Mythic Dawn by reading their books carefully, and we're generally sent running around finding the other three books. We get volumes two and three from Tar-Meena, but the fourth one, well...you'll see.

On a happier note, Raminus Polus informs us that we can kick off more Mages Guild questing by getting a staff made. We'll get to that sooner or later.

Turns out the guy who had the third book received an invitation to the Mythic Dawn.

Yes, that's right. A sewer level.

They didn't even put in anything stronger than rats and mudcrabs, so it's just a glorified stroll.

I happen to know that if you go up the stairs there, you can get a vantage point on the meeting room. I think I'd better be the one to handle the meeting. You'll be my backup. Keep watch from above in case of trouble.
Can't I handle the meeting?
No, it should be me. I have a blood debt to repay these Mythic Dawn assassins. Besides, I've trained for this kind of thing my whole life.
All right. I will cover you.
Good. Remember, we must not leave here without the book. It's our best chance of finding the Amulet.
I'm ready when you are.

You leave me little choice, I suppose.
That's right. Everything depends on this. So don't screw it up.

I'd love to tell you what dialog went down here...

...but I was immediately detected by the Mythic Dawn guy because this was in fact a really lovely vantage point to watch from.

Easily dealt with, though.

Oh hey, small fortune. Thanks, RNG!

Khajiit will get looting, then.
I'll see you back at Cloud Ruler Temple. Good luck.

Ooh. Shiny.

Oh, and he had the book as well.

The final message is "Green Emperor Way where tower touches midday sun", and the game expects you to puzzle out what that means. It was vague enough that I wound up poking around Green Emperor Way at noon and getting nowhere, and ultimately resorting to Tar-Meena, who gives you hints - with a mandatory 24-hour wait per hint.

After getting all the hints, the game finally give you a compass marker, and by god I can't believe I had to coax a compass marker out of THIS game.

And oh look, this thing has a map of Cyrodiil and a rising sun. Just wait for the right time, and...

Vague sun symbol marks the spot! That's our next dungeon.

Time for our serious gear, then. Onward to progress!

Onward to glory!

Onward to whatthehellisthisthingonmycompass.

...ohhh.

NOW I get it! :downs:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Are you at the level where Dremora spawn handily yet?

Because I fuckin love Oblivion's Dremora. They're so high-strung!

:byodood: BOW TO MEEEEE

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Nope, but we'll be seeing plenty of 'em! :suicide:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
drat, that's exactly the quest I was hoping you wouldn't do. That last ring is actually level-dependant, with no less than 11 different possibilities for what that man will drop. (Since you got a Ring of Fire Shield, I know without looking back that you're level 12 or 13.)

The ring he drops when you're level 22+ is insane, you see. :eng99:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Shugojin posted:

Because I fuckin love Oblivion's Dremora. They're so high-strung!

:byodood: BOW TO MEEEEE

The voice actor for the Dremora (and by extension, the male Imperials) probably is the best and hammiest voice asset that Bethesda has had the honor to pick up. I know for a fact he's reappeared in this game's DLC, Fallout 3, and Skyrim, though he apparently was in Morrowind as well according to Wikipedia...?

fake edit: Yes, in fact. He was the voice of 4 Daedric gods in morrowind, as well as the voice of Orcs and Bretons ("Ah, yes! We've been expecting you.") Especially on those latter two I totally didn't recognize him, even though exuberance seems to be a constant in all these roles.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Thank goodness Bethesda had Tar-Meena tell the player what to do with those books: just like the map to navigate the pressure plate trap, the localized version I played made it impossible for the player to figure out what to do both becase the letters use the same font as the rest of the text, and besides the books were translated literally (I seem to recall reading that Bethesda did the localizations themselves, probably with Babelfish given the lack of quality) so it wouldn't have mattered anyway. :v:
It's a pity because I kinda like the idea behind the puzzle. :shobon:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 20, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeeeesssss, more sneaky sneaky scamps :3:

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Blaziken386 posted:

Oh, by the way, seeing as I feel like having some fun with this game ever since this thread has convinced me to play it; I present to you my List of Silliness:
4: If 3 doesn't work, replace people's clothing with bound armor, steal their clothing from them while they sleep, cast the spell to break their armor. Laugh at them.
5: Fill various houses with hundreds of pieces of fruit/veg, dead fish, or human skulls.
6: 100 alchemy to create potions that boost my magic into the thousands with no side effects.
9: Give guards the best sword in the game, and equipment that drains their blade skill to 0.
Edit:
10: Duplicate several hundred bottles of Skooma. Go on a drug-fueled rampage.
11: Enchant a ring or something that does one point continuous fire damage. Run around while on fire.

Anything that you guys want to add to that?
P.S.: As I am playing on console, only stuff you can do without mods. I have KotN and SI, if there's anything from there that you can think of.

Oh man I've got some for you.

1: Reverse pickpocket (100%) chameleon gear onto guards all around Tamriel, proceed to commit crimes and try to escape the invisible guards.
2: Find a camp of Khajit. Find as many wild animals as you can. Proceed to attack, then kite those animals to the Khajit camp. Flee to a safe distance (after turning invisible) and observe. I like wolves myself, for the dog vs. cat factor.
3: Find race-specific clothing or equipment, then reverse pickpocket it onto their enemies. I like doing this to Imperials and Dark Elves and imagine I'm making the KKK where Black Panther gear and vice-versa.
4: Create swim boosting equipment, then reverse pickpocket it onto guards. Have them chase you, go invisible, pickpocket it back. Watch them drown.
5: Find tribal/semi-intelligent creatures that can use equipment, give them the best equipment that you can make, and figure out ways to get them to fight with your quest opponents. Act like you are cheering them on as they complete Oblivion for you as the true Hero of Kvatch.
6: Give beggars hundreds of vials of skooma. ???. Profit.
7: Steal all food within the bounds of one city. Replace with poisoned food.

e: Question Lizard Wizard, how did we go from 8 at the end of the third update to -2 at the beginning of the fourth regarding Oblivion's Not That Bad Points?

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 20, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Use frenzy spells to get guards to attack each other. Do this with immortal guards, to give them a constant bounty, leading to constant fighting between guards. When one guard hits another, he'll be given a bounty, leading to other guards having bounties, leading to the guard 'pocalypse,

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TravelLog posted:

Question Lizard Wizard, how did we go from 8 at the end of the third update to -2 at the beginning of the fourth regarding Oblivion's Not That Bad Points?

Thoronir's face deserved a ten point penalty.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
What's up with Barauner's face? He looks like a living photoshop.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

quote:

When Baurus says this he really means it. From that point on he's no longer an invincible NPC. Breaks my heart every time.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

gatz posted:

When Baurus says this he really means it. From that point on he's no longer an invincible NPC. Breaks my heart every time.

Kinda impressed they didn't put him in a situation from which you could not save him, honestly.

Yapping Eevee posted:

drat, that's exactly the quest I was hoping you wouldn't do. That last ring is actually level-dependant, with no less than 11 different possibilities for what that man will drop. (Since you got a Ring of Fire Shield, I know without looking back that you're level 12 or 13.)

The ring he drops when you're level 22+ is insane, you see. :eng99:

Looked it up from curiosity, jeez, you were not kidding! The one before that was nice too.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

gatz posted:

We are quite unfazed by the toggling of mortality flags.

They bore Us.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

Use frenzy spells to get guards to attack each other. Do this with immortal guards, to give them a constant bounty, leading to constant fighting between guards. When one guard hits another, he'll be given a bounty, leading to other guards having bounties, leading to the guard 'pocalypse,
:allears: I feel like Cheydinhal's gonna have this happen to them.

TravelLog posted:

Oh man I've got some for you.

1: Reverse pickpocket (100%) chameleon gear onto guards all around Tamriel, proceed to commit crimes and try to escape the invisible guards.
2: Find a camp of Khajit. Find as many wild animals as you can. Proceed to attack, then kite those animals to the Khajit camp. Flee to a safe distance (after turning invisible) and observe. I like wolves myself, for the dog vs. cat factor.
3: Find race-specific clothing or equipment, then reverse pickpocket it onto their enemies. I like doing this to Imperials and Dark Elves and imagine I'm making the KKK where Black Panther gear and vice-versa.
4: Create swim boosting equipment, then reverse pickpocket it onto guards. Have them chase you, go invisible, pickpocket it back. Watch them drown.
5: Find tribal/semi-intelligent creatures that can use equipment, give them the best equipment that you can make, and figure out ways to get them to fight with your quest opponents. Act like you are cheering them on as they complete Oblivion for you as the true Hero of Kvatch.
6: Give beggars hundreds of vials of skooma. ???. Profit.
7: Steal all food within the bounds of one city. Replace with poisoned food.

e: Question Lizard Wizard, how did we go from 8 at the end of the third update to -2 at the beginning of the fourth regarding Oblivion's Not That Bad Points?

1: You know, I feel like I'm going to give a guard some Chameleon armor with a frenzy hat or something. Mostly invisible, constantly rampaging.
3: I can only reverse pickpocket clothing that's weightless, and unless it's better than their current, they won't equip it.
4: Steal boots of waterwalking while guards are above the ocean. Got it.
5: I do that in Skyrim. Faendal from Riverwood, and a Riekling from Solstheim both with Dragon Armor and Weapons and various staffs of paralysis or dremora summoning.
6: They can join my rampage.
7: CAN you poison food? I know about the apples, but that's it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I think that Mythic Dawn guy is scripted to go hostile anyway, I had like 100 Sneak and was standing in the corner of the room and they still attack Baurus at some point. Every time after that I just wait for the first one to start interrogating Baurus and just backstab him.

Also; you should've explored the sewers more! A couple rooms away there are some bizarrely powerful goblins just kinda hanging out that just wreck your poo poo. I imagine they were an homage to Tribunal :v:

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I was wondering about those drat goblins. After playing Tribunal and going to Oblivion, when i first saw goblins my first reaction was "I am still Level 1!":stonk:
Then they died in three hits... Kinda made me sad.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tribunal goblins sucked because the thrust on their clubs did 10-60 which is basically ebony-daedric class.

Still not as strong as the Hounds of Hircine. :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
God, gently caress the Hounds of Hircine. And half the enemies leading up to that sequence. Nothing says "post-game content" like getting two-shot in full glass armor. I was drinking half a dozen healing potions per room, and still needing to put my levitation pants on and fly up to the ceiling for occasional breathers.

I had not yet learned of the proper way to cheese alchemy, but I did know about the trick to getting your money back from enchanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Dareon posted:

the proper way to cheese alchemy

• Locked thread