Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

EDIT: Thank you.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't wanna have to be a dick, but please don't, okay?

OK I edited it out, although I don't see what the problem was since everyone could just...not click? And there wasn't any quest info on the page anyway.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

OK I edited it out, although I don't see what the problem was since everyone could just...not click? And there wasn't any quest info on the page anyway.

Anyone who really wants to know about it that badly can and probably will look it up themselves. Let's not tempt people into spoiling themselves on future updates by clicking.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Holy crap. I go out of town for a week and come back to this thread, only to find it's gone up 170 posts and several updates.

gatz posted:

You've got a lot ahead of you, with that and the Shivering Isles. I'm curious, a long time ago in the LP you received that DLC note thing telling you of the Mehrunes Razor quest. Are you gonna do that at some point?
You know, I wonder: If you go and collect the Razor before the Blood of the Daedra quest, is that an acceptable artifact to give Martin? I can't imagine why anyone would want to, but I do wonder if they added any unique dialogue for that.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Blaziken386 posted:

You know, I wonder: If you go and collect the Razor before the Blood of the Daedra quest, is that an acceptable artifact to give Martin? I can't imagine why anyone would want to, but I do wonder if they added any unique dialogue for that.

According to the UESP, nope. I can't imagine they would have wanted to pay the money for just one more line anyway.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I won't spoil it, but you guys dumping on the arena have neglected to mention the absolute best reward for becoming Grand Champion, which I hope makes an appearance next update :allears:

The Agronak fight is interesting, though. Bethesda has this tendency to make every one of their 100+ quests and errands play by normal RPG rules, then they'll throw the one curveball. Oh, you just mindlessly did this chump's quest like every other quest? Haha, now you get to beat him to death while he begs for oblivion in front of a crowd of roaring fans! It was the same with Tenpenny Tower in Fallout 3, or (to a lesser extent) siding with the Stormcloaks at the beginning of Skyrim.

I've never not done it, though. Seriously, who can pass up free skill training?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Wolfsheim posted:

I won't spoil it, but you guys dumping on the arena have neglected to mention the absolute best reward for becoming Grand Champion, which I hope makes an appearance next update :allears:

It'll make for some wonderful Sterv drawings. :allears:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Oh god, I forgot about that.
Oh god.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Wolfsheim posted:

The Agronak fight is interesting, though. Bethesda has this tendency to make every one of their 100+ quests and errands play by normal RPG rules, then they'll throw the one curveball. Oh, you just mindlessly did this chump's quest like every other quest? Haha, now you get to beat him to death while he begs for oblivion in front of a crowd of roaring fans! It was the same with Tenpenny Tower in Fallout 3, or (to a lesser extent) siding with the Stormcloaks at the beginning of Skyrim.

I've never not done it, though. Seriously, who can pass up free skill training?

Free skill training that is a spell effect. It allows you to get your blade/block/blunt skills to 103. (I think it is that much and those skills.)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Zebrin posted:

Free skill training that is a spell effect. It allows you to get your blade/block/blunt skills to 103. (I think it is that much and those skills.)

Nope, it's blade, block and athletics.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

I'm I the only one that didn't break this game in half?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Sneaky Fast posted:

No, I didn't either. I don't like "breaking" games in general. That's probably one of the reasons why I didn't really like Morrowind when I tried it; most of the advice on enjoying Morrowind tends to center on gaming the system to become so powerful that nothing poses a challenge anymore. I don't really care for it myself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Praetorian Mage posted:

No, I didn't either. I don't like "breaking" games in general. That's probably one of the reasons why I didn't really like Morrowind when I tried it; most of the advice on enjoying Morrowind tends to center on gaming the system to become so powerful that nothing poses a challenge anymore. I don't really care for it myself.

I only broke the game inadvertently, if at all. The boring leveling system and the boring dungeon design got me to the point where I just wanted to rush through as quickly as possible.

Morrowind was much better if only because it was far more freeform, and didn't take the idea of using vertical space as a restriction in the same way oblivion and skyrim did. I made boots of (some huge number) acrobatics because it was fun as heck to just bound everywhere, not to "break" the game.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I've never been really one to break these sorts of games either - at best its when some mod to touch up graphics or rescale the leveling a bit has actually broken the game. I suppose part of it is me not wanting to really spend my game experience formulating on how to beat it beyond 'will this feature be really useful? Yes, so lets aim for it', so I never really try to.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Did you ever show Porkchop off where he hangs about in the Arena lobby? First time I did this whole quest I was pretty excited that the piggy I saw wasn't just background detail. :3: Had to make sure he survived of course. Even though he disappears afterwards anyway.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay fine, I went back and got a screenshot of noble Porkchop after going toe-to-toe with the mage, archer and melee combatant in the previous Arena fight.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sneaky Fast posted:

It never occurred to me at first. I played it largely as straight as LizWiz is the first time; exploiting a couple of things I saw and recognized as useful, but nothing else, really.

But then, one of the first LPs I ever saw happened. Maxwell Adams' Oblivion LP opened my eyes to how completely loving insane the game could get if you let it, and after that it was like a whole new game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay fine, I went back and got a screenshot of noble Porkchop after going toe-to-toe with the mage, archer and melee combatant in the previous Arena fight.

I'm not sure what I expected, honestly.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sneaky Fast posted:

I didn't, mostly because I didn't know about it when I played the first time and then I just didn't feel like putting in the effort subsequent times. I'm not a big fan of doing that anyway unless I'm really having a lot of trouble playing it straight.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Blaziken386 posted:

Oh god, I forgot about that.
Oh god.

I think you mean to say by Azura, by Azura, by Azura!

Sneaky Fast posted:

I didn't, at least not in the way people talk about breaking Morrowind with 5000% regeneration for seven actual years and all that. I tried 100% chameleon once, but it was only funny beating Imperial guards to death for about fifteen minutes; god-mode just doesn't appeal to me that much.

I did inadvertently get my sneak so high (115 or so) that I could backstab most enemies without them finding me, but that at least required a little skill, in that I had to jump away to avoid detection.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
You know, Morrowind is one of my favorite TES games. Setting be damned, with a good 300-400k gold, which is about a dozen Ordinators or so, I think, you could get a constant effect enchantment set of Jump 24 or so. Combine that with 1 point of slowfall so you didn't kill yourself, and suddenly you've got Super Jump.

Jumping from one side of Balmora to the other across the river, and navigating Vivec was never as much fun as that.

As for Oblivion chat, for all of it's flaws, Oblivion was fun. I had fun with it, therefore, I'mma call it a good game. In fact, back a few years ago I actually made a couple of mods for it that are probably still floating around on the Nexus. Not just any mods, but one of those super ambitious mods that turned out only half finished because the modder got burnt out making the thing. Good times.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 27, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

BenRGamer posted:

You know, Morrowind is one of my favorite TES games. Setting be damned, with a good 300-400k gold, which is about a dozen Ordinators or so, I think, you could get a constant effect enchantment set of Jump 24 or so. Combine that with 1 point of slowfall so you didn't kill yourself, and suddenly you've got Super Jump.

Morrowind had lots of problems, but the fun of enchanting was not one of them. :unsmith:

Also, I ran khajiit.mp3 through The Wub Machine. It is horrible and great all at once.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 27, 2014

Reeckensall
Sep 27, 2012

When I broke bad
I never knew 'bout all this trouble I would have...

Lizard Wizard posted:

Morrowind had lots of problems, but the fun of enchanting was not one of them. :unsmith:

Also, I ran khajiit.mp3 through The Wub Machine. It is horrible and great all at once.

So when can we see a Call of Duty style kill-streak montage of Sterv murdering bandits and dremora to this new theme song you've made him?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's... epic, somehow. I might have to push the whole thing through Paulstretch and see how it comes out as slow, sparkly wub.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ghostwoods posted:

That's... epic, somehow. I might have to push the whole thing through Paulstretch and see how it comes out as slow, sparkly wub.

I find it goes well with MeccaPrime's video. On a related note, I put Khajiit Like to Sneak through the Wub Machine as well. It got REAL weird, man.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 28, 2014

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

:350: + :sterv: = :cthulhu:

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 6, 2014

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:cthulhu: + :catdrugs: / :wtc: = Oblivion. :colbert:

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014
Holy bajeezus I just had to post this:

I loaded up your 'kahjiit are horrifying' and it syncs PERFECTLY with Sneaky Fast's avatar, trippy.

As I type this I notice the new av on Liz, too, HAH!
Edit: not the probation, the actual avatar shows when previewing my post.

TwistedSynapse fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 29, 2014

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Edit: Grammar

Sneaky Fast fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 31, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That is a rather disappointing final step on the road to become Champion. I'd like it if you had the option to, say, goad him into snapping and berserking or something.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Glazius posted:

That is a rather disappointing final step on the road to become Champion. I'd like it if you had the option to, say, goad him into snapping and berserking or something.
It's possible to fight him if you use a Frenzy spell to turn him hostile and aggressive.
It's still not going to be that great of a fight anyway, since according to UESP the Grey Prince's character level will be stuck at 10.

TwistedSynapse posted:

Holy bajeezus I just had to post this:

I loaded up your 'kahjiit are horrifying' and it syncs PERFECTLY with Sneaky Fast's avatar, trippy.

As I type this I notice the new av on Liz, too, HAH!
Edit: not the probation, the actual avatar shows when previewing my post.
Avant-garde indeed. :D

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Best fun I've had with Oblivion physics was killing a mountain bear with a fireball at the top of a somewhat steep hillside somewhere near Burma. It flew through the air and started tumbling slowly done the slope. I proceeded to begin an epic trek across the landscape tossing the dead bear around the terrain with additional explosion effects. Good times were had.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Blasphemaster posted:

Best fun I've had with Oblivion physics was killing a mountain bear with a fireball at the top of a somewhat steep hillside somewhere near Burma. It flew through the air and started tumbling slowly done the slope. I proceeded to begin an epic trek across the landscape tossing the dead bear around the terrain with additional explosion effects. Good times were had.

You can do this in Skyrim too with dragon skeletons and a reanimation spell of some sort. Those things just absolutely go flying across the landscape. And if there are townspeople gathered around gawking at the skeleton, they'll chase it. :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

No Gates, No Glory

Yes, I...I suppose it does.
There's a bit of backpatting here, and we get our Raiment of Valor, which immediately gets thrown on the floor for being heavy and mediocre. Let's just fast forward to the good stuff.

:monocle:
I've had some people out collecting your new combatants. The wilderness is full of 'em! Let me know when-

YESSSSS
:smith:

Hahaha! Yes!
We can do these monster fights once a week, and we have a choice in how difficult it is. It's either one level-appropriate monster, two of that level-appropriate monster, or two of that level-appropriate monster with another level-appropriate monster. In this case we picked the middle option, being two Ogres.

Oh, and armor isn't restricted, which is nice.

THANKYOUGOODBYE.
:negative:

There. Now that I'm Grand Champion, I can surely take on whatever Mehrunes Dagon has in store for me.

...who is this?

Hmm...why not? Follow your esteemed Grand Champion.
Golly, you're the best! I'm going to follow you and watch you and worship the ground you walk on! Let's go!
:3:

So, what's first on the agenda? Carbo-loading? Bench presses?
Actually, we're going on a little trip. Your esteemed Grand Champion has been tasked with saving Cyrodiil.
:hawaaaafap:

First, though, we're going to need supplies. Like these hammers, for instance. I tend to go through four or five a day.
Golly.
Speaking of which, would you like to carry my supply of hammers?
Gods no. I could never hold as many hammers as you, Butcher! Not in my wildest dreams!
:geno:

While we're here, I get some training so I can give Armorer a nice kick in the pants and ensure a full Endurance bonus for our next level. It costs about 3000 gold, but the only other thing I'm spending money on is, what, more repair hammers?

I also try to find Chancellor Ocato so I can ask for his support in defending Bruma, but the operative word here is "try". Apparently he's a dick and won't offer any troops, though, so no loss.

We're as prepared as we're going to be. Let us be going.

First, we head to Cheydinhal. I've got an errand to run, and I need to check in with Ocheeva.
Golly, who's that?

...er. Say, how fast can you run?
Gosh, Mr. Butcher, no better than any ordinary fellow. Why do you ask?

BYE

This could be bad. I can't have him knowing my secrets.

...but it shouldn't be too hard to keep my distance.

Now, off to Cheydinhal!

Goodness. He is a persistent one. But as long as I don't tarry, I should be-

...fine.

:fuckoff:

Eep.

Er...just keep following!

Come on.

No more distractions.

Just keep the pace and get to Cheydinhofcoursethere'sanObliviongateontheway.

Better clear out these Daedra first.
And hey, we can level up now, but gently caress it, Oblivion gate!

Hmm...looks like I wasn't the first one here.

...AH! :psyboom:

I...how did he...?

Dammit. I guess I shouldn't just let him get killed.

Have at you!

:sigh:

I'll just have to keep en eye out. One eye and no more.

I wonder where he got to.

Eh. No matter.
The Adoring Fan's pathing got a little weird here, apparently. About thirty seconds before this screenshot I turned around and he was right there. Now he isn't. Maybe the AI's just stuck in flee mode due to the lack of spaces without monsters nearby? Idunno, man.

But hey, Oblivion gate. The Adoring Fan didn't follow me into the tower, so maybe I'm right about his pathing being out of whack.

Oh, and we got Frost Atronachs now. Like the Daedroth, they do a whopping 40 POINTS OF MELEE DAMAGE, and of course have some ice spells to hurt you with.

Not much good loot in the ol' meatbags, unfortunately.

The Sigil Stone turned out pretty great though!

There. Another gate broken and done with.

:toot:

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain
Did the Adoring Fan have any purpose? Like, I dunno, giving you money from time to time, since he adores you so much? Has he fighting potential, like a, while weak, also cheap companion? I just can't believe that the game has something like this, that follows you into ANOTHER DIMENSION, without actually being good for anything.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Largely no. The best things he can do are give you torchlight without you having to use one on your own, as well as maybe being a distraction for enemies in cases where you're really dying. That torch is going to be completely extraneous if you're a thief and your first priority is hiding, though.

He also carries a really low amount of gold, so if you want to be a heartless monster and murder the poor boy you could get an extra 3G.

So, yup, your reward for becoming the best fighter in the arena is mid-level armor, and a goofy non-combat follower!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Bluhman posted:

So, yup, your reward for becoming the best fighter in the arena is mid-level armor, and a goofy non-combat follower!
With a very puncheable face! :v:
And he will follow the player everywhere like Lizard Wizard demonstrated.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Now that you have the Adoring Fan, you should bring him into the Shivering Isles. He won't follow you through the portal, but he'll respawn there if you kill him before going in.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

Now that you have the Adoring Fan, you should bring him into the Shivering Isles. He won't follow you through the portal, but he'll respawn there if you kill him before going in.

For the last time, man, that's after we're done with the main quest. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's hilarious how few people read the very first line of any thread OP.

• Locked thread