Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chaeden posted:

I loved freedom force so much.....until my computer decided the idea of playing it was beneath it and started having tons of issues running it in the first place.

Try RECORDING it. Freedom Force has this bizarre issue where the game will straight up crash any time it has to go through a loading screen while recording, for no apparent reason. Never seen anything like it.

The solution? Switching to an ancient version of FRAPS. :shepface:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I'm seeing it as more a crowd of annoying civilians who pester whoever is owning in the local Arena that week.

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
There are an unsurprising amount of videos about killing the Adoring Fan, this one's my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypXMAIL0p5w

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
For anyone who missed it, Luisfe has recreated Sterv as a PC in his Wizardry 6 LP.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Kloro posted:

For anyone who missed it, Luisfe has recreated Sterv as a PC in his Wizardry 6 LP.

Sterv has begun to spread to other parts of the forums. That is both amazing and horrifying.

Reeckensall
Sep 27, 2012

When I broke bad
I never knew 'bout all this trouble I would have...

Blaziken386 posted:

Sterv has begun to spread to other parts of the forums. That is both amazing and horrifying.

His lazy eye wanders off to different parts of the forum and causes the infection to spread, first it was the avatars, now he's referenced in other LPs...
Soon we'll have a Sterv epidemic on our hands if we're not careful.

Reeckensall fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 9, 2014

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Saitorr posted:

There are an unsurprising amount of videos about killing the Adoring Fan, this one's my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypXMAIL0p5w
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

By the Nine and all the Lords of Oblivion, this is glorious. :allears:

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Saitorr posted:

Do arrows actually work that way, or was that modded? It never even occured to me to try that. That is glorious.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

They work like that in vanilla. I remember loving around with a bow and accidentally killing myself this way. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blasphemaster posted:

They work like that in vanilla. I remember loving around with a bow and accidentally killing myself this way. :v:

Generally speaking, if a bow in a video game works with gravity, you have to specifically design for it not to work like this. The bow weapons in Team Fortress 2 work that way too, provided the map doesn't have a ceiling.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Cleretic posted:

provided the map doesn't have a ceiling.

This is basically what I was wondering about. The fact that you could do this, and kill yourself with it, in vanilla is awesome. I wish it had a more practical use though. Rain of Arrows!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
drat it I /really/ want to see that video now. Unfortunately it is blocked in Sweden.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Thesaya posted:

drat it I /really/ want to see that video now. Unfortunately it is blocked in Sweden.

Not blocked here and I'm in Stockholm...

Anyway, here you go.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Wiz posted:

Not blocked here and I'm in Stockholm...

Anyway, here you go.
That's just weird. Did Göteborg become a country when I wasn't looking? :tinfoil:

Anyway, thank you!

Edit:
...That was amazing :allears:

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 9, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Off to Cheydinhal

Well. At least now I don't have to worry about my biggest fan.

Hmm. Another one of those standing stones.

They only work at night, as I recall. I shall have to come back later.

...another minotaur? By the gods, what's next?

Walk swiftly and carry a big staff, yes?

Khajiit pities those without staves. But no matter.

Cheydinhal shouldn't be much further.

...ah.

Once more into the fray, then.

Oh.

Oh my. :ohdear:

Well. This is...new.
This layout has you descending a sort of mountain-ish path. It's, uh...linear.

Hmm. How about a

shortcut?

:black101:
And it's got daedra. Yaaaaay daedra.

...did he not have boots? :stare:
He did not have boots.

I COULD go through that cave.

Orrrrrr...

Hah!

Hmm. A tower.
Oh hey, wait a minute. I forgot, this is an Oblivion Gate. The tower was completely optional and dumb.

I can't decide which of these treasures is more insulting.

Here's a guy. He and his Knights of the Thorn club think they can close the Oblivion Gate themselves even though I found like two or three of their corpses on the way here. They also have some kind of rivalry with the town guard.

So naturally we team up with him, because god knows he needs a magic sword on his side.

His friend dies along the way, yielding some actual nice loot! Fancy that.

And oh poo poo, he died along the way too! Avoidable? Probably. Okay sure taking your valuable medallion anyway.

good programming 5/5

I have literally never heard of this person but sure whatever.

Why do I get the feeling someone hosed up the quest flags here?

We're forced to sit through a bit more sympathetic dialogue and get sent along to the Count. Oh hey, what about our Sigil Stone?

And once again, venturing into an Oblivion Gate justifies itself somewhat! Next time, we see the Count and do some murdering. These two things are not related.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 10, 2014

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Is Stronk a reference?

Also how was that quest meant to go anyway?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

xanthan posted:

Is Stronk a reference?

The quest wasn't broken or anything, I just think some of the information was poorly conveyed, or only conveyed by quest update popups.

Also, stronk means frog golf strong.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Farwil literally tells you he's the son of the count. Like, in one of the screenshots. Not that I blame you for not listening to him.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Farwil literally tells you he's the son of the count. Like, in one of the screenshots. Not that I blame you for not listening to him.

Whoops! Fixed that in the update.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Lizard Wizard posted:

17-bamrightinthefiretits.jpg

Never stop. :allears:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

xanthan posted:

Is Stronk a reference?

Normally you are supposed to get into the city first, talk to the count who asks you to save his son then save his son.

These are actually special Oblivion gates that open after the whole Bruma gate thing, they all have their own quests to follow.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also, stronk means frog golf strong.
I just assumed Sterv was having a stroke at how strong it was and making this face → :gonk:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bholder posted:

Normally you are supposed to get into the city first, talk to the count who asks you to save his son then save his son.

These are actually special Oblivion gates that open after the whole Bruma gate thing, they all have their own quests to follow.

Oh, come on. Who the gently caress approaches Cheydinhal from anything but the west?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Adventurers with a dyslexic compass?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
If you'd been able to keep him alive (which is retardedly difficult due to level scaling) you would've been rewarded with a unique sword, and I think a shield as well. Not a useful unique sword, but there it is!

Also, I think you become an official Knight of the Thorn or something, which is about as compelling as it sounds.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, come on. Who the gently caress approaches Cheydinhal from anything but the west?

People who fast travel?

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

I had a similar problem when I approached Kvatch for the first time. At least you're given a reason to talk to NPCs there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Brewsuke posted:

I had a similar problem when I approached Kvatch for the first time. At least you're given a reason to talk to NPCs there.

Uh, Kvatch and the area leading up to it is designed in such a way that you see something off, go in to investigate, meet the NPCs who tell you about the quest, then go do the quest. The geography makes it such that you'd have to be actively trying very hard not to approach the town the way they want you to, which is a good thing as far as keeping their quests in good order. I cannot imagine that getting thrown out of whack at ALL.

I guess what I'm driving at is what did you do, Brewsuke? :psyduck:

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Uh, Kvatch and the area leading up to it is designed in such a way that you see something off, go in to investigate, meet the NPCs who tell you about the quest, then go do the quest. The geography makes it such that you'd have to be actively trying very hard not to approach the town the way they want you to, which is a good thing as far as keeping their quests in good order. I cannot imagine that getting thrown out of whack at ALL.

I guess what I'm driving at is what did you do, Brewsuke? :psyduck:

I went as the crow flies from Weynon Priory. Ended up by the cliff on the opposite side of Kvatch. At least I didn't get a chance to walk directly into the gate.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Every time I started a new game and went to Kvatch I always ended up coming in from behind the castle. Even the time I was actively following the main questline, I still managed to come in from behind the Oblivion Gate.

Reeckensall
Sep 27, 2012

When I broke bad
I never knew 'bout all this trouble I would have...
Yeah, the problem with Kvatch as people have said is that if you go straight for the main quest on a new game and head straight to Kvatch from Weynon Priory, there's a good chance you'll be going by horseback and heading directly to the quest marker, which leads you to being on the wrong side of Kvatch when you get there.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I always just fast-traveled to Kvatch. Largely because, again, of my neurotic fear of the game crashing on my old computer. I can definitely see where this is coming from, though.

If there's one thing that Bethesda failed to learn between Oblivion and Skyrim, it's the player's impulse to not attempt to go to the proper angle of approach for anything. I almost never try and find a proper path up a mountain when I need to get to a cliff-based cave or ruin. Instead I just ram my face into the mountainside and smash the space bar while zigzagging up it.

Partially I'd blame it on Morrowind for giving us flight and superjumping scrolls and other crazy stuff that contributed to Horrific sequence breaking (Morrowind spoilers, of course), but more base than that, I'm certain a whole lot of us don't want to spend an extra 5 minutes going left around a gigantic hill attempting to find a proper gate/ramp to get into it.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Skyrim is even worse about mountains and going the wrong way because if you're riding on a horse you can walk up most sheer cliff faces that aren't straight up and down. You can actually walk into the backyard of the greybeards without having to go into High Hrothgar that way.

MisterBishop
Sep 2, 2011

Nooby engineer

Bluhman posted:

I almost never try and find a proper path up a mountain when I need to get to a cliff-based cave or ruin. Instead I just ram my face into the mountainside and smash the space bar while zigzagging up it.

I'm even worse. I try to find the 'right' path up, but I always end up scratching and clawing my way up a cliff, only to reach my destination and see a smooth, well-marked path leading down. "What? Where did that come from? I checked for paths, I know I did!" :arghfist::catstare:

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

MisterBishop posted:

I'm even worse. I try to find the 'right' path up, but I always end up scratching and clawing my way up a cliff, only to reach my destination and see a smooth, well-marked path leading down. "What? Where did that come from? I checked for paths, I know I did!" :arghfist::catstare:

http://aristrocraticbunnies.tumblr.com/post/75940312960/every-single-time

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I thought mountain climbing was a feature of Bethesda games? I've been mashing jump to get up impassable areas since Morrowind

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Morrowind taught me there was no resource more desireable to sieze, or more dear to spend, than altitude

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Door Frame posted:

I thought mountain climbing was a feature of Bethesda games? I've been mashing jump to get up impassable areas since Morrowind

In Morrowind, I'd just use the Levitation spell. It wasn't until Oblivion that I really started spamming the jump button.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I learned with Oblivion a little indicator as to where a place is walkable and where it's too vertical: if you see grass, you can walk on it without fear of falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

The Door Frame posted:

It was a full-out skill in Daggerfall, if I'm remembering correctly. Literally, a skill that would stop you from falling down steep inclines. I guess it really is a feature with legacy.

But with the removal of pretty much every vertical travel option in the series, they could've likely implemented separate map markers to denote proper points of entrance for elevated locations. That, or do something like Dungeon Siege II/III or Neverwinter and have a feature to generate visible waypoints to actually guide us up hills properly. Because I definitely have found myself finding that after climbing a mountain, I would have ran into the proper stairway/path up if I had headed a few feet left instead of right.

• Locked thread