Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
You need to update the thread's first post, the lack of updates after oblivionnui makes me sad. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Senior Scarybagels posted:

You need to update the thread's first post, the lack of updates after oblivionnui makes me sad. :colbert:

Whoops! Fixed, thanks for the reminder.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Much as I laud you for NOPEing out of that quest, have you missed out on anything worth having by doing so?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Much as I laud you for NOPEing out of that quest, have you missed out on anything worth having by doing so?

A speechcraft skill book. :v:

Also, I'm surprised nobody asked why the gate was open! Basically you're meant to find a lever outside of the fort and pull it, opening the lever and getting in to talk to Aleron, after which it will close. However, by jumping over the fort's walls the gate was closed when we entered, which made it fling itself wide open. I didn't even plan that, I just wanted to use my paintbrushes.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 29, 2015

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

A speechcraft skill book. :v:

Also, I'm surprised nobody asked why the gate was open! Basically you're meant to find a lever outside of the fort and pull it, opening the lever and getting in to talk to Aleron, after which it will close. However, by jumping over the fort's walls the gate was closed when we entered, which made it fling itself wide open. I didn't even plan that, I just wanted to use my paintbrushes.

It's kind of odd that they used a toggle rather than state = closed or whatever in the scripting.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's also kind of odd that paintbrushes are immovable objects subject to no physics.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Daetrin posted:

It's kind of odd that they used a toggle rather than state = closed or whatever in the scripting.

It's kind of odd that of all the things we've seen and talked about, this is the thing you're commenting on. Welcome to Oblivion, poo poo be hosed!

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's also kind of odd that paintbrushes are immovable objects subject to no physics.

Case in point. I still have no idea how this works.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Most artists don't study physics, therefore the artist's brushes have been imbued with a sense of apathy toward the laws of physics.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Actually, one Bethesda designer had a pretty bad time on a skydiving trip and nearly died.

He didn't want to have another brush with gravity after that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Arcade Rabbit posted:

They were really, really rushed in the polishing/bugfixing phase of this game. I once went through the weapon list to correct some mod conflicts, and the number of very basic errors and typos was phenomenal. I can fully see them forgetting to apply a physics mesh or whatever to an item.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Actually, one Bethesda designer had a pretty bad time on a skydiving trip and nearly died.

I love you, man.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Lizard Wizard posted:

Are you channeling Geop?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Constantly.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
What why the hell is LW probated- oh. :staredog:

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

mushroom_spore posted:

What why the hell is LW probated- oh. :staredog:

He went to a weird place, made a weird joke, and was subsequently ostracized for being too weird.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

But how can he update the LP n...oh.
Yeah nevermind.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sonic Adventure is a better game than Oblivion.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic Adventure is a better game than Oblivion.

Thanks for posting, Screaming Idiot.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Ghost Stromboli posted:

He went to a weird place, made a weird joke, and was subsequently ostracized for being too weird.

Half of the forum is a weird rear end place. Once venture off the beaten path of hobby/strict subject subforums...

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm not sure if you've done the Molag Bal quest or not, but I just saw a picture of his shrine in Oblivion.

Molag Bal is the Daedric Prince of jazz hands, apparently.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Thanks for posting, Screaming Idiot.

You are welcome, furry.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I never had the patience to get nearly this far in the game. Never even touched the Fighter's Guild.
I am proud of you for this level of suffering for one's art, LizWiz, jfc

Screaming Idiot posted:

You are welcome, furry.

sick own bruh

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And so, a grand crime against all life was foiled because the mastermind could only afford the rubbish traps.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm not sure if you've done the Molag Bal quest or not, but I just saw a picture of his shrine in Oblivion.

Molag Bal is the Daedric Prince of jazz hands, apparently.

Even daedra have hobbies.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I am currently preparing the sickest of owns for everyone in this thread.

Stay tuned.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

OP on the next update might I suggest that you disregard anyone who wants to see silly stuff like dialogue and quest lines and just straight up murder an entire loving town?

You can set the background music to "Spanish Flea".

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Eye of Widesauron posted:

OP on the next update might I suggest that you disregard anyone who wants to see silly stuff like dialogue and quest lines and just straight up murder an entire loving town?

You can set the background music to "Spanish Flea".

Technically, you can suggest anything you want!

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 2, 2015

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

You know you want to. Deep in your heart you know that town killing was always an essential part of these games.

The first thing any sane person does when they reach the Hub in Fallout is start waxing people and making the entire city theirs. The same applies to Oblivion.

:mrgw:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The first thing any sane person does when they reach the Hub in Fallout is start waxing people and making the entire city theirs. The same applies to Oblivion.

No, the FIRST thing that a sane person thinks is "oh, finally, a place to sell off all of my poo poo loot." The point you're thinking of is some time after every shopkeeper has roped you into a sidequest.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

You know you want to. Deep in your heart you know that town killing was always an essential part of these games.
That's the main reason I hate essential NPCs. If I wanna turn into a werewolf and straight up murder all of Whiterun, then the game should let me.
It's even more annoying when they're still essential after you've done their quest.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Blaziken386 posted:

That's the main reason I hate essential NPCs. If I wanna turn into a werewolf and straight up murder all of Whiterun, then the game should let me.
It's even more annoying when they're still essential after you've done their quest.

Ah, the glory day of Morrowind. "You may continue to play in this doomed world..."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Reality Check

While selling some poo poo on our way out of Bravil, I decide to see just how well our Chameleon set would work for, well, burgling purposes.

ALARMINGLY well is the answer! I'm pretty sure we could steal anything at this point if we were so inclined.

I also get my first glimpse of the skooma den, which these fine fellows are trying to gain access to. They won't stop chugging skooma for anything while you're talking to them, which is just the best.

While that's amusing enough on its own, armoredgorilla made his own interpretation of this which I believe anyone and everyone reading this update should click on.

Anyway. We continue on to Leyawiin without incident, unless you count the sky being an eye-searing shade of bloom due to our vampirism flaring up.

Our goal, lest we forget, is to infiltrate a dinner party and cast the spell "Stark Reality" at Castle Leyawiin.

Looks like it's guarded, though.

And no one gets in the room even after it's prepared, unless they're on the list. And even if they're on the list, they'd better be dressed for it. This is important to the Countess, and no one is going to muck it up. Got it?

So clearly, our first step is to wait for the proper time of day and speak to the guard then!

Khajiit is here for dinner. I am sufficiently dressed, yes?
I don't know who you are, and I'm not all that sure about you.

But, you're dressed for it. Can't imagine dressing up for any other reason. Go on in.

We cast the spell, and...

:haw:

:stonk:

:derp:

Aaaaand that's the bitch of this quest. Stark Reality removes all items from the dinner guests, and is hard-coded to remove ours as well. And gold is very much an item, so we either have to serve time in jail or run the gently caress away.

Jail time can reduce your skills, so I opt to cheese it into the nearest Oblivion Gate.

My plan, such that it is, is to find enough gold in here to pay off my bounty through the Thieves Guild.

This is actually one of the easier layouts to rush through. Just jump around the big honking metal gate and presto!

We're not so lucky in terms of gold (as you can see in the lower right of the inventory window), but the Sigil Stone is pretty goddamn fantastic, as it turns out! Out of curiosity, I decided to look up Sigil Stones in the process of writing this update, and as it turns out, there's an Absorb Magicka flavor. Want to guess how much magicka a weapon enchanted with such a Transcendent Sigil Stone would absorb?

-50. That's negative five zero. It would actually RESTORE magicka to anything it strikes, making it pretty much useless. So be glad we didn't get that.

...anyway, the NEXT gate is more generous, giving us whoops I died better reload.

:darksouls:

Well, at least we've got that to look forward to when we get out of this pickle!

Y'know what, maybe turning in this quest will sort things out for us.

I need to not be deprived of my possessions and chased by the law but okay

The Sanguine Rose is an interesting little item.

It functions as a staff...

...which summons a random Daedra! It's liable to attack YOU once it's done smacking the nearest enemies, but that's not a huge problem as they only stick around for 20 seconds. Pretty useful, really!

And speaking of staves, we should really get to this at some point. Not today, though!

Wait, no, game crashed.

Rrrrrrrrreload! We head up to Sanguine's shrine to turn in the quest once more, but not before resting at the White Stallion Lodge. And hey, we still have that Fortify Magicka stone.

Right, bounty paid off, poo poo gotten back. Let's not gently caress around.

A debt?
I'm afraid so. My father had a bit of an issue with gambling. I'm afraid he built up a rather large debt. Now that he's gone, the debt is mine.
How much is "rather large"?
A great deal, over 1,000 septims. My father was quite a gambler. Quite a bad gambler.
Few excel at gambling. What became of your father? Where is he?
Gone. Dragged from our house in the night. To pay the debt, I'd like to sell the sword and armor of my grandfather, or I might be next!
Hmm...
They were buried with my grandfather in the family tomb. The sword and cuirass were enchanted, and should cover my debt. Please, get them for me.
No. No need. Khajiit has more than enough coin. Take it. Pay your debt.

Well. That was satisfying, wasn't it?

On our way back to Chorrol, I decide to mop up another Daedric quest. Kill a unicorn? All right, cool.

It was guarded by minotaurs, but ultimately fell to our staff. :hellyeah:

And we got its soul.

This is our reward. It's got a 25% Resist Magic enchant on it which is nice, but at the same time, it's not heavy armor, so we're putting it in the "sell" pile.

And hell, why don't we do Clavicus Vile's thing while we're at it?

Well, I'll tell you why not, and I'll spare you the dialog that pointed us to this dungeon. The short version is there's this sword called Umbra let's go get it.

Now, y'know what that blur effect is? That's damage. Do you know what it's coming from? A poison gas trap. When an Everscamp dies in poison gas, that's a problem. As soon as the game tries to RESPAWN an Everscamp that died in poison gas, that's a crash.
And Umbra's one of the most powerful swords in the game, too. Highest base damage out of any one-handed weapon. You read that right: to get one of the more powerful weapons in the game, I would have to give up the Everscamps.

Oblivion's Not That Bad Score: Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: STACK OVERFLOW ERROR

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

You know what probably works? Spawning Umbra outside the dungeon and talking to her there :v:

(Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: At Least The Console Exists)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shugojin posted:

You know what probably works? Spawning Umbra outside the dungeon and talking to her there :v:

(Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: At Least The Console Exists)

This LP is a cheat-free zone, pal.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's not cheating when you're just fighting back against the game breaking itself :colbert:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

As ye sow glitches, so shall ye reap glitches.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shugojin posted:

It's not cheating when you're just fighting back against the game breaking itself :colbert:

And I can't be bothered to not cheat when it's not the Fighters Guild or main questline breaking itself. Remember, this LP is an examination of the game as it exists, not a comprehensive playthrough!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I love that that guard chased you into the jaws of hell itself to arrest you for ruining a dinner party. Guy does not take his job duties lightly.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Wolfsheim posted:

I love that that guard chased you into the jaws of hell itself to arrest you for ruining a dinner party. Guy does not take his job duties lightly.

Well considering he disappeared everyone's possessions at a fancy party, there's probably quite a lot of very expensive jewelry and signet rings and such missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lizard Wizard posted:

And I can't be bothered to not cheat when it's not the Fighters Guild or main questline breaking itself. Remember, this LP is an examination of the game as it exists, not a comprehensive playthrough!

Eh, to be fair, I'm not going to fault them on the everscamp thing. It's sort of obscure, and I don't really expect them to playtest such a situational effect, as hilarious and awesome as it is.

• Locked thread