Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Another Person posted:

Really, the best way to show off a lot of different environments in an Elder Scrolls game would be to place the world on a border, so you get the best of all countries involved. For example, the right of High Rock, the left of Skyrim, half of Hammerfell and the top of Cyrodiil. It would have a great deal of variety, with tundra, mountainous forest, desert badlands and plains. Make the plot about expansionism, or an inter-royalty feud that somehow a prisoner finds themselves in the middle of to give you an excuse to go travelling around them. I don't see why Bethesda feel the need to isolate you to one whole region, when you can take parts of others that you want to use.

Alternatively, Elseweyr and Valenwood would make for a good area, stuck next to each other.

An awesome idea, however one that is difficult to implement practically. Why make 6 different types of trees when you can just make a Fir and be done with it? The art assets would double/triple/etc with each distinctly different zone you add.

We can dream though!

(Also they should really go to the Redguard lands...a desert TES campaign? Yes please!)

EDIT: CAMEL ARMOUR DLC :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
They already spend multiple years making these games, and Skyrim made bank. I think they are in a position where they can make a few more trees, haha. And really, you would not be seeing many trees in a badland, and why would trees in one forest at the top of the map look too differently to a tree in a plain near the bottom?

Really, the biggest problem I can forsee is a 'in setting' one. Why can't you go through all of Skyrim? What is stopping you? Justifications for it all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Onward to Leyawiin

I don't know how they did it, but they caught me.

They searched me, took my loot.

I broke into their office, enjoyed their books, and reclaimed my loot. Only fair.

Lucien says I should report to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary in Cheydinhal, but for now, I would rather visit Leyawiin.

Screw Bravil anyway.

...what is that? On the bay?

Is that a stone face?

These are no mushrooms I've ever seen.

Hm. I don't like the looks of this thing.

Um, excuse me, but what is
No. Go away. I'm not here.

Okay.

What?!

Um.

:stare:

Stay back! This one's violent!

There. He won't be hurting anyone now.

It's...a gate to somewhere? And it just appeared recently?
I don't know where it came from, and I don't want to. Those who've gone in have come back out...wrong. I'm just here to warn folks to stay away.
And just what happens to people who go through?
Look for yourself! Their brains are addled. Got no sense! Perfectly normal people went in there. And this is what's come out.
In my experience, things like these must be gone through and shut. Not protected.
Ha! It's your funeral. I'm just here to warn people, not keep them out. Go ahead in. I'll be here to clean up the mess when you come out.

Fool.
Unworthy, unworthy, unworthy! Useless mortal meat. Walking bag of dung! :argh:

...did it just speak?
A nice effort, though. A shame he's dead. Heh! These things happen. :cheeky:
Does it DO this often?
Bring me a champion! Rend the flesh of my foes! A mortal champion to wade through the entrails of my enemies! :shepface:
Um...wow.

Really, do come in. It's lovely in the isles right now. Perfect time for a visit. :cheeky:
...maybe later. :ohdear:
The Strange Door leads to the Shivering Isles DLC, and the timing actually is perfect, since it requires you to be at least level 5. I've got Leyawiin and some murdering to do, but if there's enough demand, we're going through, so I'm more or less expecting to go through that door within a few updates now that you people know I've found it. :v:

I WILL visit Leyawiin.

I am a free khajiit.

Ooh, another one of those strange plants.

Onward.

A bunch of herb-picking and a mudcrab later...

Another shrine?

Hello.
The worshippers here have some pretty entertaining lines.I recommend you see for yourself.

You DO worship one of the Daedric Princes here, do you not?
Killed and ate a Bosmer there. But it made me sick. Saw Lord Sheogorath in the vomitus, so that's all right.
Sheogorath? That...explains a lot.
Here to sacrifice? A limb would be nice.
Um...sure.
Then approach the Shrine. Of course, he won't appear. Because it's not raining. He loves the rain. And you'll need an offering. I think a lesser soul gem, a head of lettuce, and some yarn will do the trick. Yes. That's what Sheogorath wants.
Well, we don't have the lettuce to start this quest. Rainy conditions aren't actually required, but I'm just going to chalk that up to insane ramblings.

Note to self: return with a head of lettuce.

Some terribly exciting walking and herb-picking later...

Ah, a place to rest my head.

Out of disgust at my Endurance bonus, I decide to go with Speed this level. Intelligence and Willpower are coming along nicely, though!

As for what happens next, what can I say but more traveling? Sterv does some idle alchemy, collects a few Nirnroots, and punching as many enemies as possible so we can work on Strength.

Here we are.

Goodness. The people of Leyawiin do love their nature.

Hail, guard. Anything to do around here?
Orc named Mazoga says she's a knight. I doubt it. The Count wants it looked into. Why don't you talk to him? The Count apears for audiences in the County Hall near the throne weekdays between 8 AM and 4 PM.

That could be interesting.

Hey, look, she's wearing DwemerDwarven armor! I have to say, I like the look of it. More importantly, though, this is one of the effects of being over Level 5 - we'll see new armor types on NPCs.

Nnnnnno?
Then go away.

All right then.

No. Please move.

Perhaps you would like to do a service for County Leyawiin?
I just want to take a moment to say the Count of Leyawiin is a cool guy. He's so pleasant!

That's exactly why I'm here.
I need your help. An Orc named Mazoga here claims to be a knight, but will not reveal her business. Find out why she is here and report to me, and you will earn a reward suitable for those who serve Leyawiin.
Right. I'm on it.

I'm still not the Count, no. But he sent me.
Then I can talk to you. I'm Mazoga.
Brilliant. Before anything else, though, any news?
I was walking past Rosentia Gallenus' home the other day, and I heard these strange animal noises or something coming from inside...very odd.
Hmm. Intriguing.
Every time I pass by that woman's house, I hear odd animal noises and smell a foul odor. Maybe she's caring for some sick pet or something. Whatever it is, she should clean up her act. It's surprising that a wealthy woman like that would let her property fall into disarray.
Indeed. So, you're the Orc everyone's been talking about?
Yes. I'm an Orc. I was born under a rock, and I have no parents. So I don't need a family name.
...so, what? You're just Mazoga the Orc?
I guess you don't know how to talk to a knight. So I'll teach you. Say, 'Yes, Sir Mazoga'.

I'm a knight. So say, 'Sir'. Say, 'Yes, Sir Mazoga'.
'Yes, Sir Mazoga'.
All right, then. Just don't forget.
Anyway, you're a Knight, you said?
I'm a FREE knight. I don't have a lord. You got a problem with that?
I'm...not entirely sure of your qualifications.
You don't know anything about being a knight, so shut up about it. There's an Argonian named Weebam-Na in town. Go find him. Tell him I want to see him right now. I'll meet him here.
As you wish.

Weebam-Na...nnng...

Here.

Greetings.

That's Weebam-Na back there? Okay, good.

Mazoga the Orc wants to see you.
So? An Orc wants to see me? And this interests me how? Did I forget how much I like you so I should do this favor for you? Maybe I just don't like you very much. So I'm not going.
"Hey playerrrrrr! Disposition is a mechanic! :havlat:"

There's a whole game based around speechcraft, but it's kinda stupid and I'll cover it another time. This time, we throw money at him.

That's about the size of it.
I don't know her. I'd be smart to ignore her. But...I never learned anything by being smart. And you seem to be a right skipper.
"A right skipper". I don't even know what that sort of lingo is doing here. :roflolmao:

And I will follow.

I'm taking your lettuce.

Thanks game.

Beg pardon?
Weebam-Na won't take me to Fisherman's Rock. You know where it is?
Nope.
The Argonian said Fisherman's Rock is north of Leyawiin on a point of land on the east shore of the Niben. Take me there. Now.
What for?
This guy, Mogens Wind-Shifter, he camps at Fisherman's Rock. So you take me there, and I talk to him, and then we see what happens. You hear me? I TALK to him first. No smashing in his teeth or chopping off his head! Understand?
Talking, THEN smashing and chopping?
Could be. You know how it is. But not until I'm finished talking! :allears:
Gotcha.
The Argonian says it's north of Leyawiin, about six hours walk, on the east bank of the Niben. Let's get moving.
Yes, let's.

A trivial amount of northward momentum later...

Ah! Rain! Hope I can wrap this up soon.

No. Who are you?
I'm Mazoga. You killed my friend, Ra'vindra.
I don't know what you're talking about.
You're a lying bastard. You killed Ra'vindra. And now I'm going to kill you.

THANK YOU, GAME.

Have at you!

You're next!
Look at that kitty fly. I don't know why, but Electric Touch and the Radiant Silverbow tend to give corpses a fair amount of knockback when they're used for the finishing blow. I'm pretty sure it's tied to the amount of damage an attack does, but jesus!

Mazoga's got this.

Your oath?
Mogens Wind-Shifter had a gang. They robbed and killed travelers. But Ra'vindra saw, and told the guards. Mogens got away, but first he killed Ra'vindra...my best friend, Ra'vindra. That day, I beame a knight, and swore a knight's oath. I searched a long time, and asked everyone, then I finally heard he was hiding at Fisherman's Rock. So now you know everything. You helped me, and I won't forget. Take what you want from the dead. I came to keep my oath, and now I'm done.
Anything else you want to get off your chest?
When I saw my friend killed, I swore I'd be a true knight and right all wrongs. So now I gotta do some good deeds. I don't know much about being a knight. But I'm gonna learn. Say...you did ME a good deed. You oughta be a real knight yourself.
Hah. Perhaps.
You're a pal.
:unsmith:

Ooh, nice dagger. I could get some real coin for this.

I'll catch up with Mazoga later.

Right now, I've got to arrange a meeting with a Daedric Prince.
Next time: exactly that.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 20, 2013

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I'm casting a vote for going to do either A) The DLC or B) the Dark Brotherhood questline. Both are amazing and part of what made me love Oblivion so much.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Absolutely do not do the Shivering Isles DLC so soon. Like, I know it's possible, but I want that to be the thing you do after all the other Daedric quests. Not only does it let you take in the whole concept of the Daedra, but the reward for finishing the quest is a little insane to be gifted/earned by a Level 5 warrior in knight's armor :psyduck:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

death .cab for qt posted:

Absolutely do not do the Shivering Isles DLC so soon. Like, I know it's possible, but I want that to be the thing you do after all the other Daedric quests. Not only does it let you take in the whole concept of the Daedra, but the reward for finishing the quest is a little insane to be gifted/earned by a Level 5 warrior in knight's armor :psyduck:

Since level scaling is a thing, most of the gear rewards there would be vastly underpowered by late game aside from one or two exceptions, though one of them is a very...unique bit of gear.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I didn't mean the items. I mean the story-related reward that goes with the area.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

but the reward for finishing the quest is a little insane to be gifted/earned by a Level 5 warrior in knight's armor :psyduck:

Perfectly appropriate, then, you're saying? :shepface:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Okay, fine, STERV. I'm about to ruin your poll.

I want you to do the DLC as soon as possible. Immediately, actually. But you have to do it all with no armor, Starting shackles, jewelry = okay. Clothing = not.

You take up that the loving calling like you're supposed to :shepface:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Shivvering Isles is pretty fun, but I'd certainly say do it early. Some of the enemies at higher scaling are obnoxious to fight.

ceaselessfuture posted:

That's a shame :sigh:. I wonder if they're ever going to release a (Oblivion LP spoiler?)Shivering Isles -type world again. That was the best thing in the TES universe since Morrowind for sure.

I guess the mainstream gamer doesn't want fantastical landscapes though.

The Dragonborn DLC in Skyrim had some inventive landscapes, though not as the main focus. It does give me hope about good DLC content.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, fine, STERV. I'm about to ruin your poll.

I want you to do the DLC as soon as possible. Immediately, actually. But you have to do it all with no armor, Starting shackles, jewelry = okay. Clothing = not.

You take up that the loving calling like you're supposed to :shepface:

I refuse on the grounds that this does not allow for Sterv to wear funny hats. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 20, 2013

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

You punched an Imp in the dick. I can appreciate that move, those things are jerks.

+1 vote for doing Shivering Isles later; stay on target with the Dark Brotherhood stuff.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I refuse on the grounds that this does not allow for Sterv to wear funny hats. :colbert:

...proceed. :colbert:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Shivering Isles is silly. I suggest ignoring it entirely.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Sterv's got too much on his plate to go galavanting off in some giant's mouth because it said mean things in his general direction. Come back later. On the other hand I hope you're giving that head of lettuce its new home as soon as possible!

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
It definitely seems a bit early to be visiting the Shivering Isles. You should definitely postpone doing Sheogorath's shrine until after visiting the Isles though.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.

Roar posted:

Shivering Isles is silly. I suggest ignoring doing it entirely.

Fixed

It really is very silly, after all its the best Deadera's Home realm. Also point of note a realm of oblivion thus its not all fire and lava hellscapeish.

The Dragon born DLC adds a little bit of Morrowind to Skyrim, and that is really awesome. Best DLC ever made if you ask me.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Roar posted:

Shivering Isles is silly. I suggest ignoring it entirely.

Sterv is going to close ALL of the gates, remember?

Wyld Karde posted:

You should definitely postpone doing Sheogorath's shrine until after visiting the Isles though.

It's a bit late to do that. I've already recorded the next few updates.

EDIT: General consensus seems to be that I should do some Dark Murderin' for now, no?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 20, 2013

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
The last thing I ever did was the Shivering Isles, so I'm glad to hear we'll be going there early and then using poo poo found there elsewhere in vanilla land. That'll be a nice contrast.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I know nothing about the Shivering Isles, and I've never seen the Dark Brotherhood questline either. I say you continue doing quests for the Brotherhood. They seem like fine, upstanding citizens, and that statue... thing... doesn't look right to me.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Let's all just agree to say WoT was a possible influence. :shobon:

You know now that people have noted the similarities between the two (I last played Marrowind in 05 and didn't start reading WOT till )6). I really just want to play the game again, because its probably heavily inspired by WOT. I mean I loved the game before for it being so alien and yet at the same time so enthralling, this just makes it better.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Do Shiver Isles BUT around halfway through just stop and do Uncle Sheogorath's daedric shrine quest. Or do his daedric quest after SI, as long as it's not done before or near the beginning of SI.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 20, 2013

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
On the topic of Shivering Isles, I vote you do that later. But not much later.

xanthan posted:

Do Shiver Isles BUT around halfway through just stop and do Uncle Sheogorath's daedric shrine quest.
wait, no, changed my mind, do that

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lizard Wizard posted:

Goons have great reading comprehension skills.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh, that's a shame. Can you dive into the DLC files and find the MP3s for the relevant points in the story as you go along the Shivering Isles storyline? If it's not too much work I think it would be nice.

Lizard Wizard posted:

EDIT: General consensus seems to be that I should do some Dark Murderin' for now, no?

I was going to vote 'hold off' too, it sounds like maybe doing it after all the other daedric shrines would be best?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Dark brotherhood, my brother. :ninja:

Sir Ophiuchus
Jan 31, 2007

by T. Finninho

FinalGamer posted:

Dark brotherhood, my brother. :ninja:

[Say nothing]

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Dark Brotherhood first, followed immediately after by SI.

Gives us a nice, condensed "Best of Oblivion" for the next X number of updates before we delve further into the Realm of Madness that is Cyrodiil.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Eh, I'd hold off on Shivering Isles. If you do it now it'll be painfully apparent how much better it is than the rest of the game, and it'll feel like even more of a slog.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Have you guys seen Sterv's eyes? Dude's already drunk deep of the cup of madness. Go to Shivering Isles. (I've never seen it before. :shobon:)

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Postpone Shivering Isles. I've never seen it, but maybe you should hold off until you do more of the main quest.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Postpone Shivering Isles and stay on track with the Dark Brotherhood: you still have to carry out the previous poll, after all.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 20, 2013

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Postpone the Shivering Isles for now; go do the Dark Brotherhood.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

The Shivering Isles stuff makes no sense to do this early in the story. Postpone it and go check in with your Dark Brotherhood buddies.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Give us something to look forward to; Postpone Shivering Isles, Darkly murder some people.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Let's go see what those new dark friends have to say and postpone the rest!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I'll say postpone it as well, buuuuuut that you should also get it done before the main story.

Edit: Because reasons.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 20, 2013

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Astro Nut posted:

I'll say postpone it as well, buuuuuut that you should also get it done before the main story. That way the game is technically <snip>

Probably best to leave spoilers of that magnitude out of the thread entirely, tagged or not. (edit: for some reason I thought LizWiz was doing this somewhat blind but that's probably not the case)

Personally I think Shivering Isles should come after the main plot is finished, 'cause with how SI ends it makes the most sense for it to be the last thing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Well, editted just in case. Though I suppose you're right on the way its set up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Walrus Pete posted:

(edit: for some reason I thought LizWiz was doing this somewhat blind but that's probably not the case)

Hey, I know a thing or two about Oblivion...approximately. :v:

• Locked thread