Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
When yo do go to the Isles, record the first part. You know, the first little location. Because it's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Geomancing posted:

When yo do go to the Isles, record the first part. You know, the first little location. Because it's the best.

Do you mean you want to see the scripted bit upon starting the DLC, or the general locale of the first several quests? I record raw footage of all my gameplay either way.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hey the DLC isn't that short, Sterv will probably level a lot by the end of it. He won't be a level 5 scrub even if he enters it immediately.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

Hey the DLC isn't that short, Sterv will probably level a lot by the end of it. He won't be a level 5 scrub even if he enters it immediately.

Hell, he's level 8 by now. You guys just haven't seen that far yet. :ninja:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 20, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

More Madgod, More Mazoga

Hmm. The rain stopped. Hopefully Sheogorath is still in a good mood.
As I said before, rainy weather isn't necessary to start Sheogorath's quest. I think it's a little mean-spirited to have an NPC tell you that it IS, though.

On our way to Sheogorath's shrine, we encounter this message from the Wayshrine of Stendarr instead of a blessing. This is because our Infamy is above 0. Confused? Oblivion has Fame and Infamy. You get Fame for completing quests, and Infamy for completing "evil" quests such as Dark Brotherhood assassinations. We can actually wipe our Infamy by undertaking a quest to visit all nine Wayshrines, and because of reasons, we'll probably be doing just that at some point.

We also find some of these. Bog Beacons litter the southern tip of the map, and they bear the Restore Magicka effect, so that's good to know.

Anyway, quest time. Sheogorath gets a unique voice, and one of the most memorable ones in the game at that. I highly recommend you listen to his spiel here.
Another mortal dares to summon me, and already I am bored. But enough about me. Let's talk about you.
(That voice...it's the same as the one from Niben Bay!)
I could turn you into a goat. Or a puddle. Or a bad idea. I could make you eat your own fingers. Or fall in love with a cloud. Perhaps I could make you into something useful. Let's find out.

They're a superstitious bunch. Everything is an omen or a portent. Let's make one come true. Find their shaman and ask about the K'Sharra prophecy.

Anything for powerful daedric artifacts!

Shortly after running into the edge of the world...

This must be the place.

Welcome to Border Watch, stranger. You are welcome here. I am Ri'bassa, shaman of our people.
I was curious about your K'Sharra prophecy...
You know of the K'Sharra Prophecy? How odd! Are you some sort of scholar?
Yyyyyyyes?
Wonderful! I would be glad to tell you more. It has been told from our fathers, and our fathers' fathers, that our time in this place will come to an end.

How dreadful! What are they?
These are the signs as they were foretold. First, there is the Plague of Vermin. It is said our town will be overrun by disease carrying creatures. Rats, I would imagine. Horrible little things. I always keep a powerful rat poison around in case I see one of the little monsters.
Plague of rats, got it.
Next is the Plague of Famine. It is foretold that our livestock will fall dead in their fields, with no apparent explanation. We have but the six sheep in our pasture, and we make sure they are well-tended.
And the third sign?
The Plague of Fear. I will not speak of this. Not to any outsider. I'll answer anything else I can. Is there something more? Perhaps you'd like to know more about Border Watch itself?
Sure, why not?

I'm glad you asked. I could go on all day about our little community. We are but a handful of Khajiit, as you can see. Many are the evening we spend around the cooking fire, sharing stories of Elsweyr! The smell of our food travels for miles! If you'd like to stay, I'd suggest getting a room at the Border Watch Inn. We don't get many visitors, but S'thasa serves a fine ale.

I shall see this inn.

Hello. I understand you collect cheeses.
It's been a hobby of mine for years. I've collected cheeses from all over Tamriel, including the rare Olroy cheese! A more pungnent cheese you'll never find. It looks smooth, but it stinks to the heavens and beyond!

Well, THAT was rather direct.

S'thasa's line of sight is such that, hilariously, you can steal the Olroy Cheese from right under her nose.

Also, there's a Nirnroot here because Nirnroots are loving everywhere.

The smell of your food travels for miles, does it?

Let's test that theoBY THE GODS THAT'S AWFUL :barf:

That'll be our Plague of Vermin.

How horrible!

Hmmm. Ri'Bassa seems to have left this out for the rats.

Better not let it go to waste.

Right this way, sheepies. :unsmigghh:

...wow. They got far.

And now, the Plague of Fear. Screenshots really don't do this sequence justice, so I've included a video.

My work is done here. Time to claim my reward!

And said reward is Wabbajack, a staff with a rather entertaining effect. Unfortunately, it weighs ten pounds and there's no way we can reliably keep it charged at this point in the game, so it's going to get stowed away and shown off later. Please don't spoil the effect.

Also I may have entirely forgotten to show it off.

...hm. I prefer my blade.

Might as well report back to the Count about Mazoga now.

Yes. Mazoga came to avenge her friend.
Such vengeance is a noble deed. Leyawiin thanks you for your service. And I have a fitting reward for such noble deeds.

Knights-errant?
I have created a chivalric Order of the White Stallion. Find and kill the leader of the Black Bow Bandits, the Orc named Black Brugo. If you succeed, I will bestow on both you and Mazoga the titles of Knights-Errant of the White Stallion for your service to Leyawiin.
Black Brugo, eh?
The outlaw, Black Brugo, is a menace to County Leyawiin. They call his marauders 'Black Bow Bandits' because they use black bows.
...you don't say.
Find Black Brugo, and execute him for his crimes, and I will make both you and your friend Mazoga Knights-Errant of the White Stallion.
Easily done. Where can we find this Brugo?
In her shadowy past, your friend Mazoga might have had contacts with outlaws. Ask her.
...grasping at straws, are we?
Remember. A knight's title shall be your reward.
ALL RIGHT ALREADY, I GET IT. :catstare:

Do you know a Black Brugo? If we kill him, we'll be made knights-errant.
I know Brugo. Long ago, back before I became 'Sir Mazoga', I split a share or two with Brugo. He's got a hideout in a ruin called Telepe. Every night, between midnight and six AM, he stops there to pick up his take. We're pals, right? So we'll kill Black Brugo and be knights! I'll wait right here until you ask me to follow you.
Let's go, then.

But first, let's sell some potions and marvel at the delightfully low price of repairing items compared to Morrowind.

Telepe is just a stone's throw away.

Sniper, eh?

Snipe this. :fuckoff:

Now, let's kill us some bandits!

Hah! Too easy!

Ooh, a Welkynd Stone. I've heard of these - wizards use them to restore their magicka!

Welkynd Stones are basically E-Tanks for Magicka, which is handy, but the game NEVER, EVER tells you this. It gets a mention in the manual, but let's be honest - manual-reading was already dead in the water by the time Oblivion came out, and they could've easily popped in a tutorial text box to tell you...but they didn't. And that's terrible.

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: -7 + :psyduck: + :eng99:

You're next!

ow
Paralysis causes the victim to go stiff in the middle of whatever pose their model's in and fall down. It's HILARIOUS. :allears:

Nnnng...

You dick. :mad:

Now, where's that...

...orc?

:getin:
There's a button to open this gate in one of the side rooms, but you can trivialize Black Brugo by just shooting at him through the massive hole in the gate.

Magic fits too.

:toot:

The loot's nothing to sneeze at either, though the Longsword of Depletion isn't as useful as you might think since you basically have to hit your opponent, then wait four seconds to hit them again.

Got me a shiny sword! :hist101:
Sole redeeming feature, really.

Hope no more. Black Brugo is dead.
Justice has been done. And henceforth, Mazoga and you shall be known as Knights of the White Stallion. May I present you with the perquisites of your rank...a key to White Stallion Lodge and a shield bearing the arms of County Leyawiin. Mazoga's key and shield shall be delivered to her directly. And I promise you a bounty of 100 gold for each Black Bow you bring me.
That may well be worth doing if we need some money.

The Leyawiin Shield is nice and fancy. I dig it.

We rush off to tell Mazoga she's a knight, and she's just a goober about it. We're done with this questline, so let's go check out that lodge.

The White Stallion Lodge kinda sucks, but all the containers are secure, so it's a place to put our stuff, so we're going to cram Wabbajack and our advanced alchemy equipment in the handy bedside chest and call it a day. Job well done, Sterv.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 27, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Lizard Wizard posted:

They're a superstitious bunch. Everything is an omen or a portent. Let's make one come true. Find their shaman and ask about the K'Sharra prophecy.

I can't tell if he's supposed to be Welsh or Scottish (or neither??) but if he's Scottish, speaking from the experience of living here for 21 out of my 21 years on earth, he doesn't sound like any Scottish person I've ever met and I've had the unfortunate displeasure of meeting a lot of them. He sounds like what I expect Americans, or really anyone who isn't Scottish, to evocate when attempting the accent. For example the Demoman in Team Fortress 2, granted his voice is not as bad. It's a very weird, very forced laborious attempt at the accent.

Unless it's Welse or something different. In which case, who cares. :colbert:

Edit: One of your images goofed, when you're explaining you can steal the Olroy cheese you re-use the same image twice (the Nirnroot behind S'thasa).

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 25, 2013

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

And now, the Plague of Fear. Screenshots really don't do this sequence justice, so I've included a video.

I like how a random NPC walks up and goes "oh hello" in a totally apathetic voice right as the plague of fear is going down. Open-world sandbox greetings, sometimes you just make things fantastic. :D

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sundowner posted:

I can't tell if he's supposed to be Welsh or Scottish (or neither??) but if he's Scottish, speaking from the experience of living here for 21 out of my 21 years on earth, he doesn't sound like any Scottish person I've ever met and I've had the unfortunate displeasure of meeting a lot of them. He sounds like what I expect Americans, or really anyone who isn't Scottish, to evocate when attempting the accent. For example the Demoman in Team Fortress 2, granted his voice is not as bad. It's a very weird, very forced laborious attempt at the accent.

Eh. American works hardly have their fair share of accurate Scottish accents, so I can't really blame the game specifically for that. To me, the best part about Sheogorath isn't his accent, but his delivery. He breathes life into every line, which is more than one can say about any other NPC.

Sundowner posted:

Edit: One of your images goofed, when you're explaining you can steal the Olroy cheese you re-use the same image twice (the Nirnroot behind S'thasa).

Whoops! Fixed.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
According to Sheogorath's VA, his accent is a mix of an exaggerated Scottish and an exaggerated Irish accent. As if anything relating to Sheogorath wouldn't be exaggerated.

Sheogorath, by the by, is voiced by the impeccable Wes Johnson (warning: possible VA-related spoilers), a Bethesda regular. Wes Johnsons we've already met include Lucien Lachance, the Arena announcer, and every Imperial male from this game AND Morrowind.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
:eng101: "Errant" in this context means "wandering". Knighthood is a noble rank, so normally a knight would get an estate (some land and some peasants to tax) along with the title. Instead of that, the PC and Mazoga (mostly Mazoga) get to slog through the hinterlands killing a never-ending stream of bandits to earn our income. However, given the housing market in Cyrodill is so inflated that even a run-down shack will cost you thousands of gold coins, the lodge is a pretty nice gift on its own.

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012
Random trivia: Prior to the release (or installation) of Shivering Isles, Sheogorath was actually NOT voiced by Wes Johnson doing his Scottish/Irish thing. He was instead voiced by Craig Sechler, another Bethesda veteran. I've had trouble locating the audio of his lines however. Weirded me the hell out when I heard Wes Johnson's lines there the first time.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
The old VA was featured in the old Freelance Astronauts LP when they did this quest - either Shivering Isles wasn't out at the time, or Maxwell didn't give a poo poo about installing it.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

The Fat Swordsman posted:

Random trivia: Prior to the release (or installation) of Shivering Isles, Sheogorath was actually NOT voiced by Wes Johnson doing his Scottish/Irish thing. He was instead voiced by Craig Sechler, another Bethesda veteran. I've had trouble locating the audio of his lines however. Weirded me the hell out when I heard Wes Johnson's lines there the first time.

I thought I remembered his voice sounding different in this game, so I looked it up on my copy of vanilla Oblivion. Here's a video showing what it sounded like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj-8nxDsqRA

vvv Yeah, it's...something special. vvv

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 25, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ajkalan posted:

I thought I remembered his voice sounding different in this game, so I looked it up on my copy of vanilla Oblivion. Here's a video showing what it sounded like:

Now THAT'S a voice that could drive a player crazy. :stare:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
<---- That genuinely scared me. I was scrolling through one of my threads and I said out loud.. :downs: Who th-WHAT THE gently caress.

Y'done got me.

ajkalan posted:

Ohh this really reminds me of a character/VA from another game. I can't put my finger on it, though.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 25, 2013

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

Sundowner posted:

<---- That genuinely scared me. I was scrolling through one of my threads and I said out loud.. :downs: Who th-WHAT THE gently caress. :stare:

Best. Reaction. Ever.

And DEAR GODS that voice was warped to all holy hell! I actually prefer the Scot/Irish overimpersonation to that. Speaking of that quest, though, that does look like a fun quest to do, if just to screw with the minds of some NPC's for a change. That, and falling corpses. Always fun.

Kinda funny, really. No matter how many times you can play these games, 99% of the time you'll always miss something. I had no idea this existed, for example.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Best part is. The dogs are alive until they hit the ground. Just on fire. Sometimes they live through the impact!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm going to make the proposal that you only do the DLC after you've done everything else. For all Oblivion's faults, the DLC is really, really good, and it would be a nice way to end the LP on a high note.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm going to make the proposal that you only do the DLC after you've done everything else. For all Oblivion's faults, the DLC is really, really good, and it would be a nice way to end the LP on a high note.

While that's not a bad idea, from everything I've heard the ending to the main quest is rather, um...end-y. Or does it leave room and is the end to Shivering Isles moreso?

:siren:THIS IS NOT FREE LICENSE TO TALK ABOUT OR HINT AT THE ENDING TO THE MAIN QUEST OR DLC, I'M JUST ASKING.:siren:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I prefer doing the Sheogorath shrine quest after finishing the Shivering Isles questline. It's just more silly that way.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

I prefer doing the Sheogorath shrine quest after finishing the Shivering Isles questline. It's just more silly that way.

I'll show that off after finishing the Shivering Isles. Sort of.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Lizard Wizard posted:

While that's not a bad idea, from everything I've heard the ending to the main quest is rather, um...end-y. Or does it leave room and is the end to Shivering Isles moreso?

:siren:THIS IS NOT FREE LICENSE TO TALK ABOUT OR HINT AT THE ENDING TO THE MAIN QUEST OR DLC, I'M JUST ASKING.:siren:

Shivering Isles is much more like a proper ending. I'll just say that. It makes the most -sense- to do that last of everything.

Galick fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 25, 2013

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Neither the main game's nor Shivering Isles' main questlines block you from continuing play once you beat them, if that's what you're asking.

What do you think this is, Fallout 3? :colbert:

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Lizard Wizard posted:

After the main Shivering Isles quest line ends, you can just go ahead and keep doing other stuff, like the vanilla game.

Also, the effect of Wabbajack has already been spoiled. Right there in the screenshot. It Wabbajack's things. Wabbajack's the hell right out of them.

Edit: And beaten to it. Twice over...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, I'm aware that you can keep playing after either ending, I'm just a bit worried about showing the climax of the main quest and then going "...oh but let's do other stuff now".

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The end of the main quest is 'big', but for a lot of reasons there's still room for upward movement left, so it'd still be sort of okay to go do Shivering Isles last.

Alternatively, you could leave the last few main quests and go do Shivering Isles, and have both of them ending within only a few updates of each other, instead of having to do one and then begin the other.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Without getting too spoilery, there's not really a huge climax at the end of the main quest. I mean, there is, but eh, it's pretty underwhelming and changes very little. There's even a reward you have to wait two in-game weeks after the ending to get, ridiculously enough.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Galick posted:

Shivering Isles is much more like a proper ending. I'll just say that. It makes the most -sense- to do that last of everything.

The Ending to Shivering Isles feels like a place to end a story on, I'll agree with that.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Agreed. The ending of SI is more significant for the player character than that of Oblivion proper, even though Oblivion's is more meaningful to the world around them.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, I'm aware that you can keep playing after either ending, I'm just a bit worried about showing the climax of the main quest and then going "...oh but let's do other stuff now".

This is the problem you'll have with Shivering Isles, guaranteed, so it is best to save that for last.

I was unaware you didn't know the endings to either questline- so I'm happy I didn't spoil it.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I've played this game for over 200 hours and never seen the ending. I'm tempted to start again and see if I can get there before you.

But do I really want to sink my life back into oblivion ? I don't think so, I'll just watch.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Redeye Flight posted:

According to Sheogorath's VA, his accent is a mix of an exaggerated Scottish and an exaggerated Irish accent. As if anything relating to Sheogorath wouldn't be exaggerated.

Sheogorath, by the by, is voiced by the impeccable Wes Johnson (warning: possible VA-related spoilers), a Bethesda regular. Wes Johnsons we've already met include Lucien Lachance, the Arena announcer, and every Imperial male from this game AND Morrowind.
I believe he also voices every single orc as well. I know he played all the mutants or at least the friendly ones in Fallout 3.
As a born-and-bred Scotsman, that's a pretty typical ScotIrish accent of American VA work. Not the worst I ever heard (I remember Gargoyles had a few glaring examples in terms of backround voices), but still, pretty meh.

Fun fact on the voice casting, most of the female nord and orcs from Morrowind to Skyrim are voiced by Lynda Carter, who was formerly goddamn Wonder Woman. So yeah, she was probably playing Mazoga there.
She got into being a VA for Bethesda due to her husband being CEO of Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax Media. Still pretty neat!

And I'm far more curious of the ending for Shivering Isles than the ending of the main quest (which I know of already), sooooo whatever you wanna do Lizard Wizard, it's all up to you.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FinalGamer posted:

I believe he also voices every single orc as well. I know he played all the mutants or at least the friendly ones in Fallout 3.
As a born-and-bred Scotsman, that's a pretty typical ScotIrish accent of American VA work. Not the worst I ever heard (I remember Gargoyles had a few glaring examples in terms of backround voices), but still, pretty meh.

Fun fact on the voice casting, most of the female nord and orcs from Morrowind to Skyrim are voiced by Lynda Carter, who was formerly goddamn Wonder Woman. So yeah, she was probably playing Mazoga there.
She got into being a VA for Bethesda due to her husband being CEO of Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax Media. Still pretty neat!

Actually, Mazoga's a special snowflake with her own unique voice that I sorta hate.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Her voice'd fit much much better with the skyrim orcs.
Her face here is just.....so fat.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

I'm pretty sure that's still Linda Carter, just putting a little effort in.

I've played Oblivion so much that I can hear the six or seven voice actors they used for everyone in my head when I read your updates :suicide:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I've played Oblivion so much that I can hear the six or seven voice actors they used for everyone in my head when I read your updates :suicide:

I kept wanting to hear Marius Caro as a Breton while I was going through my footage. I mean, he's just too trim and pleasant to sound like an Imperial.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 25, 2013

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I kept wanting to hear Marius Caro as a Breton while I was going through my footage. I mean, he's just too trim to sound like an Imperial.
My favourite part of Oblivion was meeting two orcs and three nords all with the same loving voice. You know the one. The big loud boisterous voice.

"Hello!"
"HELLO!"
"Hellloooo! :D"
"STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM-also hello :colbert:"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

"Ya got some hot property?"

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
The only line of Mazoga's voice acting that I like is when you ask 'Questions, THEN smashing and stabbing?' and she replies 'Maybe. You know how it goes.' in an amused tone. It's the only time she doesn't sound so drat annoyed and brash.

Sheogorath's voice, bad Scottish accent and all, is incredibly distinct and memorable. I could say it along with reading the subtitles, his flair and accentuations and all. I watched that video of his original VA and wow, what a change. Oddly, a lot of the Daedra Lords lost their memorable VAs from Oblivion in the transfer to Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
My favourite moment of voice acting was entering the common room of an inn and having five people with three voices between them turn to me and say in a perfect chorus "How about mixing up some potions? You look like quite the alchemist." Creepiest goddamn thing.

• Locked thread