Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
He can't end the Oblivion LP now!

What will happen to :sterv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

Uh, you getting burnt out on Oblivion? Because if you think most of the rest of the game is too boring to show us...

Shugojin posted:

He already abandoned an Oblivion LP once!

LEGO Genetics posted:

He can't end the Oblivion LP now!
Guys, there are these things called JOKES. :ughh:

Road to Recommendation, Part 4

I have licked my wounds long enough. There is business to attend to.
Note our ugly little hodge-podge of Mithril and Dwarven armor. We'll be hanging on to at least some Heavy Armor in the name of Endurance training.

Now, let's see...what was it the Mages Guild wanted from me here?

Ah, that's right. The Seer's Stone, I believe it was.

But first, I should sell some of my loot.

Nnnnnnot to you, though. :gonk:

You'll do.
That glow around him is a Charm effect. We're using our daily Vampire's Seduction (which, lest we forget, is only available at stage 2 vampirism or above) to raies his disposition and get better deals.

So we mostly sell our more useless potions and summarily leave about a thousand septims richer.

Now, let us see what we can discover.

Ah. You. I've got something for you...

And 800 more gold! :toot:

Wonderful. Have you seen Dagail's amulet?
I'm afraid I don't know anything about it. I heard it was missing, though.
Yes. This is why khajiit asks, you realize.
Kalthar was talking about it recently. He seemed very agitated about it. Almost...happy. Strange, isn't that?
Hmm, quite so. Thank you.

Kalthar?
Don't mind that NPC chatter.

Have you seen Dagail's amulet, by any chance?
Well, well. Word is finally spreading, is it? They won't be able to keep up this facade much longer!
...um.
Yeah, I know all about it. I overheard Agata and Dagail talking. And you know what? I'm glad it's gone!
So I've heard...
Why should we be forced to work under someone who's only kept sane by a magical trinket? Haven't we sacrificed enough already?
If she is sane, she is sane, yes?
She shouldn't even be here anymore. Hell, the only reason her father ever fit in anywhere is because he kept a low profile. And look what it got him! Years of service to the Empire, and not even a tombstone over his head! Hrmph. At least he was able to maintain the illusion of sanity.
:raise:
I know, I get way too fired up over this. It just annoys me that she's in charge of the guild, when she's clearly not fit. That's all.

Well, thank you for your time.
Farewell.

Well...
I didn't buy any spells off of her, but it should be noted that Agata sells both Reflect Spell and Spell Absorption for sale. You can bet we'll be back for that eventually.

No. Never mind. Kalthar seemed quite worked up about the Seer's Stone. And Agata's father, for whatever reason.
So Kalthar overheard us, did he? That explains why he's been so cranky lately.
(Hmm...does it?)
But we never said anything about Dagail's father. How would he know anything about that?
Perhaps he, too, used such an amulet.
If there's some sort of connection between the seer's stone and Dagail's father. I don't know about it. Maybe if you ask her, it will jog her memory.
Hmm. Worth a try.
In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on Kalthar.

I was wondering if you could tell me about-
You seek more from me, child? It is as I have seen. I know what you would ask. You would bring light to that which is in darkness, bring silence to the voices so loud. I know where you must go.

What was my sire's must be mine, if you would have the words you seek. You must go and find his stone.

I must go...

...here. Yes. :sterv:

Hmph. Crawling with bandits, naturally.

Easy enough.

...how peculiar.

Wizards? Pfah!

No amount of magicka will avail you!

HRAAAAGH!

Oooh, nice dagger.

Hah! Swing your oversized sword while you can.

Say...
If you're curious, the boots are no better than our Dwarven.

Nice gauntlets!
Sterv is such the loving hodgepodge of armor right now. :allears:

I feel...my goal is here.

Yes.

Oh, uh...

Hi, Kalthar. :stare:
Kalthar has a little breakdown here, and I didn't think transcription would do it justice. I recommend watching the video for yourself, but if you don't, spoilers he was the bad guy all along.

Die, fetcher. :black101:
Also, I hit Journeyman in Blade. Now I can do a horribly inconvenient charge move while moving sideways to disarm my opponent!

The deed is done. I should tell Dagail so I can get my recommendation.

Riiiiiiiiiiight after my sparring session.
Only one more to go! :toot:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 21, 2013

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I will never stop laughing at the Scamp Entourage.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

For anyone who may have overlooked it: the video link near the end of the update is actually dialog. I recommend watching for yourself as it's actually halfway competent voice acting for Oblivion, though if you don't particularly feel like it the takeaway is "yeah Kalthar's the bad guy". Sorry for any confusion!

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
Gosh, that's some quality voice acting this game has. :allears:

(I just read the captions when I play, so I never noticed how awful it usually is.)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Lizard Wizard posted:

For anyone who may have overlooked it: the video link near the end of the update is actually dialog. I recommend watching for yourself as it's actually halfway competent voice acting for Oblivion, though if you don't particularly feel like it the takeaway is "yeah Kalthar's the bad guy". Sorry for any confusion!

You mean the guy with a huge angry monobrow is BAD? GOSH

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pidmon posted:

You mean the guy with a huge angry monobrow is BAD? GOSH

NPC gossip later on mentions that he was formerly a Necromancer, in case you thought for a second that he was just a frustrated mage who tried to take guild matters into his own hands.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 29, 2013

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Kalthar scared the poo poo out of me when that happened the first time I played Oblivion. It should have been the last.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

quote:

I have good memories in this room :allears:
When I played this quest the first time, I was overleveled. A lot. And overleveling in this game, as we've touched on, is awful to do. everything becomes a giant damage sponge that takes forever to kill (as we've seen with skeletons)
While I was running backwards in circles throwing fireballs everywhere, the screenshots don't show the room all the way, it's just a big square with a pile of dirt in one corner and four gigantic pillars, the orc used a voice line I have never heard since, where he just went "DEHHHHHH" in an attempt to be frightening and I broke down laughing so hard that he killed me and I had to do it again.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Kalthar is the ugliest NPC in the game. It always creeps me out when he comes running in the room to get you.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
It always gets me how Kalthar has the exact same voice as a generic orc male. Not even important enough to have the voice actor do a different voice :allears:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Lazerbeam posted:

Kalthar is the ugliest NPC in the game. It always creeps me out when he comes running in the room to get you.

I don't know, it seems that this lady disagrees.

And there's more, a lot more..

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
Hey now, Lizard Wizard, that disarm attack isn't so bad!

It makes the game oh so much fun when Dremoras start to do it to you en-mass, causing you to lose your favorite weapon because it got flung somewhere you didn't see!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Lazerbeam posted:

Stay out of hosed up unfriendly little hamlets stuck in the middle of the forest, then.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

I don't know, it seems that this lady disagrees.

And there's more, a lot more..

I'm only seeing two unremarkable pumpkins?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO DRAW ON EVERYTHING?!

theshim
May 1, 2012

cugel posted:

Quick, ask these pumpkins for Rumors!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

cugel posted:

no! I don't want that.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

cugel posted:

Why is the one on the left angry? :ohdear:

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Why is the one on the left angry? :ohdear:

That's because its disposition is below 30. Quick! Better work in that Speechcraft skill! :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

MeccaPrime posted:

That's because its disposition is below 30. Quick! Better work in that Speechcraft skill! :v:

Well aren't you just the handsomest pumpkin I've ever seen. Here, I'll tell you a joke: why did the chicken cross the road? Because I will beat the ever living gently caress out of you. Here's 25 septims

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

MeccaPrime posted:

You could also just hit it with a 100-disposition Charm spell that lasts all of 2 seconds. The fact that time pauses once you talk to it means that it would be enamored with you for the entire conversation!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

You could also just hit it with a 100-disposition Charm spell that lasts all of 2 seconds. The fact that time pauses once you talk to it means that it would be enamored with you for the entire conversation!

You're the loving scum of the earth and oh wow i love you here let me tell you my deepest secrets, no, no, you don't have to pay full price for these spells, you're amazing and wonderful and dear god in heaven what is that on your head oh it's just your ugly stupid face

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

gatz posted:

Kalthar scared the poo poo out of me when that happened the first time I played Oblivion. It should have been the last.

I was equally as scared when I replied to the LP recommendations thread and saw I have a pumpkin Kalthar as my avatar. Okay, well that's a bit of exaggeration. I was more confused than anything.

theshim
May 1, 2012

gatz posted:

I was equally as scared when I replied to the LP recommendations thread and saw I have a pumpkin Kalthar as my avatar. Okay, well that's a bit of exaggeration. I was more confused than anything.
Ye gods I love this thread. :allears:

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

theshim posted:

Ye gods I love this thread. :allears:

So do I. These avatars are amazing, in a way.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

theshim posted:

Ye gourds I love this thread. :allears:

Fixed that for you. :spooky:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lizard Wizard posted:

Guys, there are these things called JOKES. :ughh:

That's the very thing I was trying to make :smith:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I just read through this entire LP so far in 2 days, and now am heavily regretting not having broken the game's mechanics in half while I played it. :negative:

I'll be honest, my experience with Oblivion had really put my expectations down for Skyrim when it was announced early on. The game that turned that around was actually Fallout 3 for some reason, since it seemed to partially deal with some of the more egregious issues that Oblivion has (faces, extreme closeups of faces, and decent levelling system to name a few), though It should also be noted that I never even touched the DLC for this game.

So, really looking forward to that! I'd totally reinstall it if I had any faith in my computer's ability to play the game for more than 2-4 hours at one time without crashing!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sounds like a pretty smart computer to me, Bluhman.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 30, 2013

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

scamtank posted:

Stay out of hosed up unfriendly little hamlets stuck in the middle of the forest, then.

Oh poo poo I forgot about them! Literally everyone is ugly there :ohdear:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Having those scamps following you around, makes the game like Overlord. Even more so once you get some Daedric Armour.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Zeniel posted:

Having those scamps following you around, makes the game like Overlord. Even more so once you get some Daedric Armour.

Cast Frenzy on them, and they are your little Battlescamp Brigade :3:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

Cast Frenzy on them, and they are your little Battlescamp Brigade :3:

Or, more like than not, they turn around and claw at me because Frenzy is silly and unpredictable like that.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 30, 2013

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Make a combined charm/frenzy spell to command your scamps to attack things?

Fake Edit: Or more likely, if you find it, the command creature spell.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Everscamps are literally weaker than Mudcrabs, you realize. :sweatdrop:

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:
Just another reason why they're horrible creatures in my opinion. :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Brutus Salad posted:

Just another reason why they're horrible creatures in my opinion. :colbert:

Heard any news from the other provinces?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Lizard Wizard posted:

If they had a staff of the Evercrab I'd combine it with the top hat and monacle mod and never put it down ever ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

They're definitely an asset, though. If the bandit that hated scamps was anything to go by.
Maybe if you combined it with personality damage, you'd be able to have enemies attack them first!

• Locked thread