Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bluhman posted:

They're definitely an asset, though. If the bandit that hated scamps was anything to go by.
Maybe if you combined it with personality damage, you'd be able to have enemies attack them first!

I think the best part of that video is Sterv casually deciding to enter the fray and accidentally immolating one of the scamps instead of the bandit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Dirk the Average posted:

I think the best part of that video is Sterv casually deciding to enter the fray and accidentally immolating one of the scamps instead of the bandit.

Yeah, that's kinda the problem with group combat in Oblivion: Everything's a clusterfuck. Whenever you're fighting other enemies with a group of friendly (or neutral) combatants, it is really, really hard to not accidentally hit them and piss them off.

For example, I used to get through all of the group combat sections in the game (some of which I hope we'll be seeing later on with the main quest) by just standing back and healing all of the NPCS while they killed everything. If I ever tried to attack anything, some dope would always wander in front of me and cause me to clock them in the back of the head. Then they'd get pissed and start going after me rather than what we were both fighting previously.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lizard Wizard posted:

Or, more like than not, they turn around and claw at me because Frenzy is silly and unpredictable like that.

Could you get 100 points of Chameleon, go invisible, and then your Battlescamps can't attack what they can't see?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Could you get 100 points of Chameleon, go invisible, and then your Battlescamps can't attack what they can't see?

They will probably go after each other.

How about an area of effect frenzy, then AOE charm so they don't go after you, and then AOE 100% chameleon so they don't see each other?

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 31, 2013

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

And it will be glorious. Wandering around invisible while everscamps keep following you slapping each other to death. You could charge admission and make a mint! :hist101:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

100% Chameleon is not a thing that's going to happen in this LP.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Disco Infiva posted:

How about an area of effect frenzy, then AOE charm so they don't go after you, and then AOE 100% chameleon so they don't see each other?

You'd need god mode to cast that, or to break the game entirely. Let's just wait to see what LW has in mind!

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Hey, if it's not too much trouble, could someone make a gif of the sword in this video? I have plans for it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

RefinedUndefined posted:

Hey, if it's not too much trouble, could someone make a gif of the sword in this video? I have plans for it.

Check your PMs. :D

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's not Kalthar's fault! He was possessed by the eyebrows!

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
On the topic of ugliest Oblivion NPCs: in retrospect, Norbert Lelles looks really weird. He seems to be part Cyclops.

There's also this charming guard from Anvil.

The looks of NPCs seems to be inversely proportional to the looks of their hometown.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Bluhman posted:

On the topic of ugliest Oblivion NPCs: in retrospect, Norbert Lelles looks really weird. He seems to be part Cyclops.

Jesus Christ I never noticed how tiny his eyes were before now. He's like the inverse Sterv

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

I remembering constantly reloading my game when I first came across him, thinking he was glitched :(

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Man, I remember Kalthar showing up scared the absolute poo poo out of me.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

My computer deiced to go ahead and die so if anyone else wants to take up responsibility for Glarthir.
It's probably not permanently dead, but I can't boot it right now and making sure it stays working and everything is there takes precedence over a side update to someone else's LP.

My computer is actually fully dead. Whoops. I'm hoping it's not the hard drive so I can just stick it into the new one I'm saving up for, but chances are low, so the footage is probably lost.
Someone else show Glarthir, dammit.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
So I started reading this thread earlier tonight, and realized that the filenames of the screenshots are often useful/funny in and of themselves. However, it's kind of a pain to manually look at each one, so I threw together a little script that will put the filename right next to each image, quick and dirty. Like so:

You can get it from here, installed with Greasemonkey on Firefox, or Tampermonkey (or maybe natively?) on Chrome. I'm still early in the LP, so if anything changes with the filenames or anything later that breaks this, let me know!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lazerbeam posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about them! Literally everyone is ugly there :ohdear:

You had a small error there.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hargrimm posted:

So I started reading this thread earlier tonight, and realized that the filenames of the screenshots are often useful/funny in and of themselves. However, it's kind of a pain to manually look at each one, so I threw together a little script that will put the filename right next to each image, quick and dirty. Like so:

You can get it from here, installed with Greasemonkey on Firefox, or Tampermonkey (or maybe natively?) on Chrome. I'm still early in the LP, so if anything changes with the filenames or anything later that breaks this, let me know!

I highly recommend this or some manner of alt-text tooltip plugin, lest you missing out on the chuckleworthy metacommentary that is my filenaming. :smug:

But seriously, thanks Hargrimm.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Gah, I can't get Hargrimm's script or any of the options on Chrome webstore to work. Am I doing something silly, or does Google just hate Sterv?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Nyarai posted:

Gah, I can't get Hargrimm's script or any of the options on Chrome webstore to work. Am I doing something silly, or does Google just hate Sterv?

This same thing is happening to me too. I think Google just can't handle Sterv.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nyarai posted:

I believe you're supposed to use Tampermonkey.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I believe you're supposed to use Tampermonkey.

I installed it in Tampermonkey and restarted Chrome. Nothing happened.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Not working for me either, on Firefox this time.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Welp, guess THAT'S still in beta then.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Worked fine for me, after i installed Greasemonkey. Could have sworn I had it already, which is weird.

Also dammit now i have to read the thread again :argh: but also thank you I can read the thread again :dance:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
e. ^^^^ Thank god it works for someone!

1. It still shows 0 installs on the script page, so evidently no one is using Greasemonkey, which is the only platform I tested it on.

2. I did some reading and Chrome native user scripting does not support requiring JQuery, so yeah the script will not work at all there. Chrome users will need Tampermonkey. If it still doesn't work with that, if any Chrome users could give me the error message that comes up in the console that would help. I'll try to look into it myself but I can count on one hands the times I've ever used Chrome on this machine.

3. In order to not run the script on every page of every thread on SA, since it does give a minor performance hit, it detects the OP (which must be Lizard Wizard) before it executes. To do that, the OP highlighting must be active, which I just learned can be turned off. So to get around that, and since it's not actually that much of an issue, I have updated the script to only run on this specific thread, so it should work without OP highlighting at all.

EDIT: Weird, I installed it on Chrome w/Tampermonkey through the site and still 0 installs. Guess my script is too insignificant to bother keeping stats for. Anyways, it works fine for me in Chrome! The only issue was that it seems like Tampermonkey may not quite obey the function waiting for the page to fully load before deploying. Thus, if the script tries to go before the images are all loaded, it can't find them to title. But that's easily fixed by refreshing the page after it loads fully. So anyone who has issues on Chrome, please install Tampermonkey, get the latest version of the script, and make sure you let a thread page with an update on it load fully, then refresh.

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 4, 2013

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
I updated the script and now it is working. Thanks Hargrimm. :)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Works for me as well. Hargrimm's handy dandy plugin is now in the OP. :toot:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
It's working now. Thanks Hargrimm :toot:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Huzzah!

Lizard Wizard, is the screenshot format of [number]-[title] something that is certain to always happen? I ran into a problem in Chrome where it would basically try and test the width of images (to avoid captioning thumbnails, etc) before they had loaded, so it always found them too small to operate on. I worked around that by instead checking for a '-' in the url, since that exists in the main screenshots but not the talking-head icons or anything else. Hopefully that works. You and Nyarai posted before I implemented that update, so if you notice the labels just stopping after 15 or 20 images on a page, get the latest version of the script with the fix.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hargrimm posted:

Huzzah!

Lizard Wizard, is the screenshot format of [number]-[title] something that is certain to always happen? I ran into a problem in Chrome where it would basically try and test the width of images (to avoid captioning thumbnails, etc) before they had loaded, so it always found them too small to operate on. I worked around that by instead checking for a '-' in the url, since that exists in the main screenshots but not the talking-head icons or anything else. Hopefully that works. You and Nyarai posted before I implemented that update, so if you notice the labels just stopping after 15 or 20 images on a page, get the latest version of the script with the fix.

It absolutely is. There's one or two GIFs that are hosted on Minus and don't follow that convention, but those wouldn't have had any clever filenames to begin with.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

On to Bravil

One last quest to take care of, but first, we've got a bit of dialog to see to.

I believe I have just the thing with which to seal them.
Found it, have you? Silenced the hands that betrayed, and took what was mine? Then let me have the stone, so that the voices can be shut out.
Absolutely. Here.

Ah, child. I thank you for helping me. With the voices quieted for now, the words you seek have come to me. You shall have my...recommendation.
Khajiit will be going, then.
Though I must warn you. I have seen things in your future. Things which may be, and things which will be.
Hmmmm?
It will be up to you to decide the fate of many. Life and death are strange things, easily manipulated, and both will be altered by your hands.
The fate of many?
Strange. He saw something in you. Trusted you.

The Amulet has power. Only a true heir of the Blood can wear it, they say. He must have given it to you for a reason.

I wonder... :3:

...oh well. To Bravil, then. :sigh:

To Bravil indeed! A walk between cities is a walk between cities - same as ever.

But this time we're not taking any chances with Will-o-the-Wisps. :flame:

A fort catches my eye. We've had some luck recently, and this is an RPG at the end of the day, so hey, why not?

I attempt to disarm the bandit near the entrance, which proves to be little more than an exercise in spinning like a jackass and missing a lot.

The fort itself was mostly full of vampires, and I decided to get some use out of the Silence poisons I'd brewed here and there.

We get an Elven Sword out of the deal as well as a much-needed upgrade over the Radiant Silverbow. Not bad at all!

Almost there...

What is this? A bandit?

Is...is it human?

It is not human. :stare:

It looks like a plant...perhaps it will burn like one.

BEAR BEAR BEAR :gonk:

:hist101:

Now for you!

Spriggans are back, and they're far less of a pain than they ever were in Bloodmoon. They're weak to fire, and as you can see they're capable of summoning a Black Bear, which makes for a credible threat.

Instead of COMING BACK TO LIFE TWICE OVER like they did before, they have a powerful healing spell. They can also drain your Luck, which is only barely worth mentioning.

They hit hard, but aren't particularly difficult to avoid, and they're hardly HP sponges. Pretty creepy-looking, too! I dare say this is a good enemy.

By the gods...I've never seen anything like that.

Hmmm...come to think of it...

Ever since the Emperor's assassination, things have been a bit...off.

Maybe...maybe this is all tied to the Emperor's death. Maybe things are getting WORSE.

Perhaps I should take the Amulet of Kings to this Jauffre fellow after my business at the Mages Guild. Perhaps then we will get to the bottom of this.

...it's useless to me anyhow.

Hmm...running low on hammers.
I also snagged an Elven Bow for later enchanting. Probably from that fort earlier, if I remember correctly.

Hm?

Uh-oh. :ohdear:

So yeah, mountain lions are a thing and they're about what you'd expect.

:magical:

...moving on.

Ooh. I could do with a charge.

...oh dear.

OH, COME ON. :catstare:

Right. What is my plan.

Ah. I know. Draw the magicka from the well...

...and RUN!

So hey, as long as we're on the subject of Will-o-the-Wisps, remember when we hit Journeyman in Hand-to-Hand? Turns out that lets us punch ghosts and poo poo, and while awesome, the game never tells you. Did you not think this was warranted a mention? Did it not cross your mind that people might want to know that Hand-to-hand is not strictly inferior to using actual weaponry in this regard? Would've been pretty good to know, Bethesda!

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: (-12 + :psyduck: - :yohoho: + (3 * :eng99: ))/:regd08:)

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSP!

...I'm just going to let myself into town now. :stare:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

That was pretty much how I handled every Will-o-Wisp encounter. I drew them over to some guards and let them get sapped of their lifeblood. Even when I became strong enough to defeat Will-o-Wisps with ease, I still drew them over to the guards.

It's just fun to watch NPCs in combat, because it looks so ridiculous sometimes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
That mountain lion looks just so goddamned happy... You know, before you killed it so hard it's bones melted.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

That whole bit with the mountain lion was amazing. Somehow I never ran across that particular bit of physics.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Ugh, Spriggans. What they're doing in the middle of all of Tamriel when they were located previously on some backwater island must be the work of OBLIVION.

Goddamn trees.

EphemeralToast
May 30, 2013
The happiest mountain lion.

:iamafag:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I thought that the hand-to-hand combat thing working on ghosts was a matter of having an enchanted or silver pair of gauntlets? Huh.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Portals posted:

That whole bit with the mountain lion was amazing. Somehow I never ran across that particular bit of physics.

Ragdoll corpses in Oblivion, and they way they transition from something vaguely realistic to a sack of loose bones at the moment of death, are routinely pretty freaky. Killing a wolf or something on a mountainside and having it suddenly go cartwheeling down the slope is the common example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

So hey, as long as we're on the subject of Will-o-the-Wisps, remember when we hit Journeyman in Hand-to-Hand? Turns out that lets us punch ghosts and poo poo, and while awesome, the game never tells you. Did you not think this was warranted a mention? Did it not cross your mind that people might want to know that Hand-to-hand is not strictly inferior to using actual weaponry in this regard? Would've been pretty good to know, Bethesda!

Oblivion's Not That Bad Points: (-12 + :psyduck: - :yohoho: + (3 * :eng99: ))/:regd08:)
It's even worse if you played either Daggerfall or Morrowind before playing Oblivion, since in both those games hand-to-hand could be used to fight enemies that were immune to normal weapons.
In Oblivion, however, hand-to-hand requires the Journeyman level to have the same ability to ignore damage immunities and, as shown in the screenshot, the game never tells the player about it. :psyduck:

Lizard Wizard posted:

...oh well. To Bravil, then. :sigh:
And the whole Mundus breathed a sigh of relief. :v:

• Locked thread