Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Magic is quite a useful tool!

I, for one, want you to become some kind of illusion mega-wizard just for all the havoc that frenzy spells can cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Double team, I guess.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Geomancing posted:

Sheogorath's voice, bad Scottish accent and all, is incredibly distinct and memorable. I could say it along with reading the subtitles, his flair and accentuations and all. I watched that video of his original VA and wow, what a change. Oddly, a lot of the Daedra Lords lost their memorable VAs from Oblivion in the transfer to Skyrim.

They had unique voices in Oblivion? I thought Sheogorath was the only one, and the rest were just one voice with varying levels of reverb and weird sound effects on them.

Like, whoever responsible was just introduced to voice editing software and went crazy with trying out all the options.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Did you time the fireballs so that she yelled out "I'm just warming up!" before she got hit with one?

Because that happened, and was pretty funny.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Astro Nut posted:

What does the game do when you've saved Martin without realising why the hell he's a big deal?

Where does Martin even go if you save him before Jauffre tells us to rescue Kvatch? Like, what does he do? Just stand around the Chapel or what? I've never broken the sequence like that.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

I would be cool for the next elder scroll game if dialogue was a hybrid of voice and text.
Like the main tree would start voiced and when its finished you could ask for a more detailed text explanation or something. :allears:

What they should do is some kind of Codex thing, similar to what Dragon Age and Mass Effect did. I don't know, maybe every time you open a book you get to have permanent access to it through a 'memory' or something.

Thats probably what they should have done with Oblivion. I don't know whether it would ruin the actual activity of picking up a book and reading it in-game though, there's a kind of immersive feeling to that.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Alchemy may be powerful, but beyond health and magicka potions I really find it's enchanted weapons, not alchemy, that gives me the push I need in combat.

And in this LP, enchanting's going to be more broken than ever. :getin:

I honestly hope you're doing what I think you are doing, because Oblivion has an absolutely hilarious way to break enchanting based on the way that percentages stack.

I'll say it when we get up to enchanting, because drat is it amazing.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

That slowly falling shower of watermelons was majestic.

Do physics objects interact with NPCs in any way? Can you, say, throw a watermelon at somebody and make them stagger? Or knock people down by deploying a shower of watermelons from a rooftop?

I regret to say I didn't experiment with this when I played Oblivion.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

These puns are ulna-pealing and I femur to come.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

fingerpaint posted:

Well let's be fair. When was the last time you saw a reference to Daggerfell or Arena in any TES game save for a little in Morrowind.

There's a series of books which talk about the events of Arena in Oblivion, at least.

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but the name of the books are
the real Barenziah. They're about Barenziah and the leadup to Jagar Tharn getting hold of the staff of Chaos.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

aerion111 posted:

Oh, I dunno, as 'popular' as that book is, seems to me that 'Miss Lusty' appeals to everyone (I completely forget what she's called, and I'm not about to look it up)

Or at least the target audience for youtube videos, and the actual audience of various forums.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there were people whose first exposure to Elder Scrolls (if they've managed to avoid any 'memes', that is) was that book (either directly or in reference)

Lifts-Her-Tail.

I don't know why I remember that. I swear I'm not a furry.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Disintegrate weapon spells are pretty good for forcing boxing matches in the arena.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Shbobdb posted:

Does Skyrim have a mod that turns all weapons into giant plastic purple dildos? I really liked that Oblivion came with that installed, standard.

I bought oblivion retail and it definitely didn't have that.

Please explain.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Its less that Oblivion was made on no budget and more that of their VA budget, half went to getting Patrick Stewart for 20 odd lines and the rest went to Sean Bean for his 50.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Metaligatr posted:

This is how the whole thing feels to me tbh. :downs:

Martin Crossing the Gates, tears on canvas, 3E 433 - 4E 0

This is a thing of beauty.

The idea behind Dragon is that you're meant to sort of kinda be able to "fight" him. The intended way to play that bit was to hit him with a blow hard enough he staggers (calculated as damage - if you hit him above a threshold, he staggers) which gives you enough time to get past him into the temple.

Its just that you can do it by just walking past him in loads of cases, so it doesn't matter.

Also, if you use the wabbajack on him, his stats change even though the model doesn't. So you can easily kill him if you get lucky and wabbajack him into a rat or something. Since he doesn't have an actual death animation, he just melts instead.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Oh man Shivering Isles. I played hours of Oblivion bit I never had any of the Expansions, so this should be good.

Alteration is actually pretty useful. Armour and feather spells are great if your optimising towards magery, and magickal lockpicking is kinda useful early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Being a volki-whatsit Vampire in skyrim gives you legit cool powers and things - you charge up the tree and you can literally throw people around and the base drain health spell is neat and pretty much all you need combat wise.

It's just that it looks goofy as gently caress, and all the characters and equipment associated with Count Dorkula are boring as poo poo in comparison to Fantasy Blade and his Bros. Plus, like, armoured trolls.

On the other hand, the only way the plot of Dawnguard makes any sense is if you're planning on joining the vampires from the very start or the PC is trying to get into the resident vampire Goth girls pants so there is that.

• Locked thread