Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

VendoViper posted:

Or at least have some sort of indication of subordination in the icons. Being able to select by platoon / company is great for giving starting orders. Or between hot spots, but having to use the little bits of text in the lower left sucks.

Now with the command lines + double clicking you pretty much never need to use the bottom left stuff unless it is to find some errant company or batt. hq. The nature of the game pretty much demands you have stuff from the same squad and company near each other.

It would be nice having a little icon or symbol or something tying the same squad/company together visually, and a hotkey to quickly cycle up and down command chains is really needed. I honestly can't imagine why these things were not added in the first place.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dtkozl posted:

I think cm is best at med-large battles personally. I think for the really small stuff you run into the same problems you do with a lot of games where the tank is so much more powerful and longer ranged compared to the infantry you really have a hard time balancing a scenario. Red orchestra and advanced squad leader are like this too. Things just really luck dependent and swingy when you don't have redundancy and a match basically revolves around how well your tank does. If it is small I prefer it to be infantry only.
Since you mentioned Red Orchestra I wonder if anyone here has played Project Reality. (It's free and standalone now.)

It's an FPS but pretty grognardy, plus the community can be absolutely horrible so that's also like grognard games. But it can be sublime if you join the right group. It's one of those games where your individual effort rarely matters and you spend a lot of time digging into the ground with a shovel so you can build up AT assets before the enemy tanks steamroll the entire team.

I like it but I also consider this a personal problem.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

dtkozl posted:

Now with the command lines + double clicking you pretty much never need to use the bottom left stuff unless it is to find some errant company or batt. hq. The nature of the game pretty much demands you have stuff from the same squad and company near each other.

Yeah totally. Guess I need to shell out :10bux: for the patch to get my Normandy up to v3. Red Thunder runs like warmed over garbage in comparison. Guess I need to further overclock my CPU since the drat thing runs single threaded or whatever.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003
If any of you were going through WitP:AE withdrawals due to Grey Hunter, Alikchi and Lord Windy not updating, Saros and I have started our own game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

paradigmblue posted:

If any of you were going through WitP:AE withdrawals due to Grey Hunter, Alikchi and Lord Windy not updating, Saros and I have started our own game.

Holy poo poo your midget sub actually did something!

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Holy poo poo your midget sub actually did something!

Saros's, but yes, that was an unpleasant surprise.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Nobody was more surprised than me. Just a quick caution to everyone we both read this thread so if you're going to comment on the game it might be better to take it to the respective threads. I'm typing up an OP for mine now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

paradigmblue posted:

Hey hey hey, I'm not updating due to having to restart - only two months to go!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Grey Hunter posted:

September, October, November, Dec... ???

Oh, it will be a special surprise attack because it come one month early. :v:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Will you start a thread early? I'd like to propose ditching Japanese run for another Allied.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

frankenfreak posted:

Certainly Grey could make good use out of an extra month before he has to worry about the Hornet and the Yorktown!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

frankenfreak posted:

No one will see it coming.....

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

No one will see it coming.....

You're playing the Spanish this time around?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You're playing the Spanish this time around?

100% success rate for blowing up US Navy ships in harbor. :tinfoil:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Not really Grognard but it does involve pretending to kill people in a war: If you have Xbox Live Gold you can buy Battlestations Pacific for free for the Xbox 360 for the next couple of weeks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I know its not really the most appropriate thing for the thread, but I think you're the ones who will most commiserate with me. After years of being clean, I've finally relapsed into an old addiction.

It has its talons in me again, pray for me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I still have the pacific one with Real Fleet Boat mod installed and ready to go at any moment.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've never actually played SH4, I'm tempted to buy it for :10bux: on steam and give it a go.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I know its not really the most appropriate thing for the thread, but I think you're the ones who will most commiserate with me. After years of being clean, I've finally relapsed into an old addiction.

It has its talons in me again, pray for me.

I think it's appropriate as long as you are using full manual targeting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

pthighs posted:

I think it's appropriate as long as you are using full manual targeting.

You betcha. I don't even have map markers turned on. I'm looking forward to struggling to go over manual targeting again while a freighter ambles up to my lurking sub. Then deciding "gently caress it" and firing a wide full spread at close range.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
You should check out the MOBO electronic maneuvering board app for all your attack plotting fun if you haven't already: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118990

Also, some guy built a conning tower replica in his basement to play Silent Hunter in: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220594

:captainpop:

It includes a small cat door.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You betcha. I don't even have map markers turned on. I'm looking forward to struggling to go over manual targeting again while a freighter ambles up to my lurking sub. Then deciding "gently caress it", surfacing, and going to guns.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've never actually played SH4, I'm tempted to buy it for :10bux: on steam and give it a go.

DO IT

Fleet boats are superior

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hunterhr posted:

going to guns
Usually I drive Type-IIs (A real man's uboot) so deck guns are strange and alien to me. Though my Type-VII experience shows attacks are inevitably in seas too rough for the deck gun.

gradenko_2000 posted:

DO IT

Fleet boats are superior
Is there any mod comparable to GWX and SH3 Commander?

[edit] Also, apparently the version on Steam isn't the latest version? drat.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 3, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You need SH4 + the Uboat addon.

Then you can either play with one mod, whose name I forget, that gives you realistic convoys. So realistic you won't find any, or Real Fleet Boat which among other things adds a great damage model.

Real Fleet Boat is the one I use. :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

pthighs posted:

You should check out the MOBO electronic maneuvering board app for all your attack plotting fun if you haven't already: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=118990

Also, some guy built a conning tower replica in his basement to play Silent Hunter in: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220594

:captainpop:

It includes a small cat door.

I thought the USN didn't use alphanumerical designations for their subs like that? "USS S-42" reads really awkwardly when you're used to submarines being assigned actual names like "Nautilus" or "Swordfish" or whatever.

Edit: okay drat apparently we did used to do that with our subs. Weird. The more you know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_S-42_(SS-153)

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I thought real fleet boat mod was a little too easy and preferred trigger maru with rso or whatever it is called.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

LordPants posted:

You need SH4 + the Uboat addon.

:20bux: is a bit further out of impulse buy for subs, but I still might do it.

Whats the difference between TriggerMaru and RFB? I checked subsim but the threads for both of don't really say much (besides a patch log for the latest version). They don't do much to sell themselves, basically.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
RFB is the one I would think you want because it changes the damage model from hit point based, to actually modelling flooding and compartments and stuff like that. Which pretty much means if you sink 3 shots into the side of a ship it'll list slowly over for a while, take on water and then "sink". Where as in vanilla (and TMO i think,but I'm not sure) you'll hit it three times and it'll go "boom you sunk it" and do a canned routine or whatever." But you can still sink ships quicky, but if you do it's a result of them taking on lots of water quickly and not it running out of HP.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, something like that would be preferable. Two questions:

Can SH4 be played widescreened/multiple resolutions in windowed mode with/without mods?

Does the steam overlay work?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Trigger Maru has much more "realistic" planes where they can actually see you underwater a bit and will attack you, so they are more deadly. The damage model has been modified so ships sink times are more realistic but it is still basically hitpoint based. The in game effect for sinking ships are largely the same in both mods, you aren't going to really be able to tell and both get wonky some times. The air stuff really makes a difference though. The air in RFB is pretty toothless. You can't go wrong with either though, I like them both.

Get the RSRDC mod, there is a version for both TM and RFB and this helps a lot with convoys, realistic battles, etc.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

My thread for the witp game against Paradigm is up by the way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Poking around the SubSim forums, I'm seeing conflicting info on whether or not the Steam version of SH4 (no U-boats) is the final/latest version of the game. Anyone here know for sure? I mean, if I don't need the U-boat expansion, I'd prefer to save the :10bux:.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Unfortunately you need the U-boat expansion, which also is the only way to get the final version 1.5 of the main game. Mods won't work without it, and any version before that would have too many bugs anyways.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
You will also want to do this: http://www.subsowespac.org/the-patrol-zone/give-silent-hunter-4-a-memory-boost.shtml

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So having read the manuals to both, overall TMO sounds more appealing, but I wish it had the floatation style damage system GWX and RFB seem to use.

Is this really necessary?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
No but it helps and really it takes all of 10 minutes to do. You will appreciate it when you want to move from pearl to anywhere else and can crank the time compression.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh god, its 230am and all I've done so far in SH4 is read instruction manuals, shop for mods, and start cruising out of Manilla. :negative:

This is what I got so far. Doubt I'll add much else though.

The OTC changes sound pretty nice, but I guess he couldn't modify the FoV when only in the periscopes? After even only an hour or so of poking around menus and stuff without it, after having installed it the FoV on the ship's bridge feels really tight. :pwn: I hope I can get used to it though, cause I'm totally down with playing with a slide rule and figuring out a ship's range and poo poo by counting telemeter marks in the periscope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can never remember the math to working out the speed.

You measure the distance the ship/convoy travels in a minute something something the speed in knots?

I just can't remember the "something something"