Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

CMANO 1936-1946 database when

EDIT: oh wtf the Cold War database already supports everything you need for a Battle of Midway

Build the scenario gradenko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

COOL CORN posted:

jean-luc spruance, blow up the drat ship akagi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RNsZvdYZQ

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Yeah, I am totally uninterested in WT botes. I just want a modern multiplayer version of Fighting Steel. Is that too much to ask, Wargaming?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait War Thunder is finally getting boats out? It sucks doesn't it?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
do any of you guys play Wargame red dragon at all? I know its not the most grog thing ever but its got some decent depth and while there is some apm its not too too bad. I just got back into it after not having played it for a while and its pretty fun especally in the 10v10 realm.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm in the Armored Brigade beta and it's good. Really good. Looking forward to sharing more.

edit : M1's are murder wagons.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 18, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yooper posted:

I'm in the Armored Brigade beta and it's good. Really good. Looking forward to sharing more.

edit : M1's are murder wagons.

This is my poo poo when can we play

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Phi230 posted:

This is my poo poo when can we play

Not sure. I'm under NDA right now so can't share much. So far though I'm liking it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just wrapped up a game of ASL last night after playing over a period of a few months after my opponent called it quits.

You still had two turns of movement, my dude, why?! :( And then he told me I'd be getting too many points (it was the start scenario for a mini-campaign) and said we should play something else.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

BUG JUG posted:

I will have to look up Detroit, because I've been failing miserably at GearCity (my R&D eats up all my money, and I generally just get out one lovely cheap truck model and never recoup my research costs), but this is totally my thing. Just wanna build trucks for the German army suddenly mysteriously ordering hundreds of trucks and engines.

some hints:

- take out a line of credit immediately, IPO within your first couple months, and either take out a huge loan or issue a huge bond. the starting cash goes quickly
- buy back all your outstanding stock as soon as you're in a comfortable enough financial position to do so
- start in London or New York; whichever one you start in, open a factory in the other ASAP
- upgrade your first factory immediately, early game factory tech assembles cars very slowly (no assembly lines yet) so you need all the production lines you can get in order to turn a profit
- reuse as many parts in different vehicle models as possible. it's very easy to make a starting engine, chassis, and gearbox that will work just fine in a sedan, touring car, pickup truck, and van, for example - they won't be the best possible vehicles in their class, but they'll be serviceable, and you'll save a fuckload on research costs
- military contracts are your friend, seek them out aggressively. it is trivially easy to build a truck which will satisfy almost any military order through 1910 in 1901, for dirt cheap, and make bank on it.
- civilian contracts, conversely, are mostly not worth it except as a little bit of bonus income. if you've got extra vehicles lying around or some idle production lines you aren't using it's occasionally worth it, but for the most part don't bother. the one exception is racing contracts, who frequently place orders for your highest-end sports cars and will pay out the rear end for them. snap up those racing teams (these teams actually exist as entities in the game world and it's kind of satisfying seeing half the racing teams in your favorite series using cars you sold them, too).
- cheaper vehicles are almost always better, because more people can afford them, which means you sell more of them, which means you paradoxically make more money by selling cars for less. the only exception is when production is a bottleneck, which is only an issue in the very early game, during WW2 when your factories are mostly bombed out or redirected to the war effort, and when you're trying to squeeze that last bit of efficiency out of a line
- all vehicles in the early 1900s are awful, even the best and most expensive model you can possibly make will still suck, so for your first few models you should absolutely skimp on quality in order to drop the price down as low as possible. a general early game rule of thumb is to make the absolute shittiest possible component you can that still technically fulfills your design requirements.
- parts get cheaper the longer you manufacture them, and periodically performing a Major Modification on a part will keep it competitive in quality for years even as the price drops, thus allowing you to eventually make some perfectly serviceable cars using last-generation tech for dirt cheap
- make sure you set a price for your vehicle and tell your dealerships to start distributing them - that doesn't happen automatically so if you forget to do this your factories will be pumping out a bunch of cars and then sending them straight to storage

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo - Ultimate Admiral (from Ultimate General/Darthmod)

https://twitter.com/reformedgamers/status/1019887132146569217

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I am interested and would like to know more.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Also, just going to leave this really in depth document regarding sonobouys here: http://www.navairdevcen.org/PDF/THE%20EVOLUTION%20OF%20THE%20SONOBUOY.pdf

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

Aw yiss

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

V for Vegas posted:

This is cool, no doubt, but on the other hand, give UG: Borodino you fucks

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Fuligin posted:

This is cool, no doubt, but on the other hand, give UG: Borodino you fucks

Yes, I'd like that a lot. I feel like UG:CW made a lot of good improvements, and I was really excited about the campaign mode, but the way your army upgrades and the strength of the enemy armies in practice feels very arcade-like, which was disappointing. If they just stuck with great line battles of history I think I'd like that better.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That Irresistible seems to have an extra funnel?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Two design-your-own-battleships games at the same time?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Looks like RtW has some competition !

https://twitter.com/reformedgamers/status/983996491994947584

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's no grog game!

Look its all 3d and poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cautiously optimistic about this, could be cool. I wonder how extensive the visual or mechanical customization will be.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is going to be so much nicer to play than RtW, it's not even going to be funny. RtW will always have that magic grog touch though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This is going to be so much nicer to play than RtW, it's not even going to be funny. RtW will always have that magic grog touch though.

the first apostate

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but will this game have carriers

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes, I love Game Labs stuff. It's the perfect balance of Grog and playability for me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Maybe RTW2 is coming out at the right time, then...

Always possible this other ship game will fall flat on its face, too.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I loved UG:CW so I'm pretty stoked about this news. Looks rad.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pharnakes posted:

That's no grog game!

Look its all 3d and poo poo.

What the gently caress, this doesn't look like it runs on Windows 3.1!

Bet they don't even charge for patches, amateurs.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I bet key generation is automatic!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'll bet the download link lasts longer than a month too

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I don't have to email my receipt to the dev and wait 3 days for him to send me a key I'm not interested.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You say competition, but I'm basically 100% going to buy both as soon as possible.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

glynnenstein posted:

You say competition, but I'm basically 100% going to buy both as soon as possible.

I think this is pretty much everyone groggy enough to get RtW2 in the first place.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Saros posted:

I think this is pretty much everyone groggy enough to get RtW2 in the first place.

Mhm. RtW 2 has confirmed carriers as well, so it also has a feature leg up.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Mhm. RtW 2 has confirmed carriers as well, so it also has a feature leg up.

But it also has graphics that resemble a calculator with stock clip art. The competition is good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Here's a roundup of what is known so far

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=22675.0

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Vaporware.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

quote:

On 2/10/2018 at 7:44 PM, Mirrec said:
make this openworld like Naval Action and have biiig suces (i hope :-P )

Nooooooo someone silence this man!

Also I'm a bit leery of him describing it as an RTS and that RtW was too hard to control. I'm not sure I want to have to micromanage every ship in a grand fleet.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I just don't see how they can model all the variables that RTW does with different technologies and ship designs in a 3d game. For rtw its easy since its just tweaking numbers in an algorithm. How can you copy that in a 3d game from a small team?

I hope that is is good but the rts coment makes me think its just going to be an rts where you design a boat with 5 armour and level 3 guns, give a model from half a dozen variants and then blob as many BBs as you can into the enemies BB blob. Which is admittedly the heart of what you do in RTW but without all the detail heaped on top to bring out the tactics I don't see it working.

I don't want to wear out the no true grog joke but I also can't deny I find the graphics at this stage off putting. It just looks like a cutesy little phone game somehow, although that might be partly that the ships we've seen so far are cutesy little turn of the century ships? Doesn't mean it can't have a robust simulation underneath I know, but ehhh. I'm not confident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Well, it's not like the RTW team is gigantic either, I think it is three people or so. 3D work for Dreadnoughts might well be outsourced. The underlying algorithm can still be pretty complex.