Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Does this game let me burn down Atlanta? Because it looks extremely my poo poo :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ultimate general is pretty drat good. The mass amounts of cannon fodder and the stats that go up as you use them give me an xcom vibe. Hi there 2 star veterans, enjoy your new mini-ball muskets. Hi newbies, enjoy these old rear end muskets, most of them shouldnt fall apart too badly. Please keep this army distracted while my good units fall back to better spots thx

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

for books also check out the autobiography of US Grant, it features bitching about lost causers before it became cool!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lol really

Fake edit: I can't say I've noticed much difference in numbers. It kinda lame that the game touts "difficult ai" then give it a straight bonus over the player

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 21, 2016

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Now im wondering how much of the US army being a clownshow during the Spanish American war was due to political mismanagement and how much was from ignoring the lessons from the civil war.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

vyshka posted:

Yes, before reading any Shelby Foote you should watch Ken Burns so you can have that voice inside your head the entire time.

lol if u don't read every acw related post in his voice

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, 'flavorful' is a good way to describe it. It really feels civil-war-y

Yeah dont expect an ultra accurate simulation, which is good for me since sometime i just want to watch large blocks of dudes lob musket fire at eachother.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the reason being to run against lincoln in the next election

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Its really promising. Plays pretty much exactly the same as Gettysburg on the tactical layer, although since it was made easier I've been finding it a bit too easy on medium, but don't want to jack it up to hard as I think all it does is increase the enemies resources. The AI could stand to be more aggressive, at the moment skirmishers in woods can hold off entire brigades for a really long time, but if the Brigade just charged it could brush them aside. It also tends to charge one brigade at a time (and lose) in situations where a mass charge would easily break through.

On the strategic layer I'd like to see exactly what officers do be highlighted (if they do anything except not having a high enough rank cause a lack of efficency), particularly Divisional officers.

In the confederate campaign I'm playing now I'm just about to reach Shiloh, so maybe the game will make me eat my words about being too easy?

Dunno if the recent patch to reduce enemy numbers has fixed it, but i find that if the regiments have a good size advantage on my they charge like motherfuckers, which is a pain because even if i fight them off my units are guarenteed to be exhausted afterwards.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I played the land doctrine demo and im super annoyed, great concept but it needs WASD scrolling and a mini map like whoa

i also hope the immediate war scenario is just because its a demo, because a pre war build up to get your poo poo together would be p nice

and also a small tutorial scenario

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gay Hitler posted:

I can't tell the difference between the land doctrine demo and the full game. There's two extra suspension research and you can make large maps, but nothing past that.

Game really needs a unit list

that game needs a lot of poo poo so im not buying it lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

its 5 bux :/ comon buy it give the guy a bone

5 fricken dollars

get him to put in a mini map and ill consider it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

gently caress YES

god drat i hate hate hate "the enemy always gets 1.75x your forces" balancing

i don't mind being overrun, i just want there to be a reason behind me getting overrun

Same, it made playing the minor missions terrible since your opponent would be guarding an obscure crossroads with a full army. Yes it's can be won, but maybe I would like a minor skirmish to be just that

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Has there been any Distant Worlds 2 news?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I think this captures what was unique about DC:B without being a game about pushing hundreds of counters around an E. front map which is going to put a bunch of people off.

I'm down for this.

im one of those people. i love love love that there was a game that finally simulated the bashit personalities associated with a dictatorship but i dislike traditonal grognard game play so this is right up my alley

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Sid Meier's Gettysburg!

I just reinstalled UG, haven't really played since launch. How does the game work now- I hear they removed the enemy scaling?

Yep. Youll be outnumbered to start, but the enemy has a manpower pool instead so the csa wont suddenly pull a full army out after a crushing loss

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Fuel counters can't melt steel CRTs

hello new thread title

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

xthetenth posted:

When I think nitty gritty warts and all portrayals of WWII bombing, I think cutesy graphics and a game about a lone bomber being heroic.

the game whose trailer on the steam page where the bomber is painted teal with eggplants on the wings is super serious.

how is it though? a modernized version of 50 mission crush is my poo poo.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

omg that hue of pink wasn't even available during WWII

holy poo poo immersion RUINED!!!!!!!!!!!!

umm ill have you know that ive read through the entire bomber inventory for ww2 and there was no plane named "Bombs Out For Harambe"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Emergency landing is dope except don't do it near trees

favorite moment so far was during the first critical mission where i managed to finish it then ran out of fuel over england and ate poo poo into a forest.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Alchenar posted:

It's what makes DC:B so good - both the Russian and German players have a pool of political capital that they can spend to stop 'bad historical decisions' but they also have to accept that they exist at a certain point in the command chain and can only exert so much influence on how the fighting goes.

You can spend a ton of effort to get the German army ready for winter, but that comes at the same massive cost in credibility that a real German General in that position would have suffered. You can have the STAVKA issue orders for a perfect robust defence, then watch as your army commanders gently caress it all up because they can't move their formations around in time.

the whole "lack of control" thing is also why rules the waves is good. You have supreme control of the navy, but only the navy and you still need to worry about keeping your funds coming in and the army becoming underfunded because you jacked their funding not loving everything up when war actually starts

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Are you like me, and always wanted to play as a merchant corporation in Distant Worlds or Aurora4X? Then you're in luck, because Interstellar Trading Company is exactly that and I'm loving it. Space trading a la Patrician, with growing technology and the constant spread of humanity across the stars. It's marvellous! UI is still work in progress, but it's a lot better than a lot of what this thread is used to.

cant wait for them to put in rocket auto renewal. i suspect just sending rockets filled with machinery to mars would make it worthwhile to run, at least at the tech level im at so far and i dont want to micromanage at that level

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yooper posted:

At first I read it as Offworld Trading Company. This game looks more my niche.

just watched mars enter a famine because they subsidized everything but water and lol if u think im going transport no-profit water without a subsidy

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

im the desert-dog in the middle of australia

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Well I don't mind if it's not impressive but again, I am comparing off of Stellaris which would (at least used to) take an energy rich planet and build farms all over it!

Then again I am not sure what you'd particularly want to automate but then again it seems like a preference thing, all in all. Some people floated the idea of running a purely diplomatic/constructive but if said diplomacy is shite, then I doubt that'd be fun.

Game is super fun, the AI is passable and the diplomacy system lets you engineer galactic wars purely so the resulting refugees populate your new colonies faster

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wide stance posted:

Any modern-ish games like Close Combat III: The Russian Front?

Basically where you role-play as a captain/major leading a single company thru the entire war with the unrealistic ability to buy/upgrade your own units instead of the game forcing them on you.

Ultimate General: Civil war is similar if you dont mind a setting change

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

anybody play polaris sector? looks like it and a dlc pack are on sale and i want to know if it will scratch that itch that distant worlds used to

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oh man the options for telling some congressman's failson who became a poo poo officer to gently caress off in exchange for reduced political traction would be great.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Saros posted:

Are there any good US v Russia scenarios over Syria in CMANO because lol

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/984022625440747520

lol reminds of the one grognard devs who accidentally predicted russia's involvment of ukraine

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

And the Syrian Civil War, though theirs was a full invasion after several WMD's in Western cities.

a dev who turns out to be a oracle who only displays prophicies through scenario code sounds like a bad episode of the twilight zone

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the funniest thing is that that pasta rule isnt even historically accurate

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Are you saying Italians don’t eat spaghetti and meatballs at every meal and talk-a like-a this-a?

ayy im invading here

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I still say a game where u do bids on manufacturing contracts in ww2 then try to cut as many corners as possible would own hard.

The failure state is ur workers go on strike and the Wagner act immediately has u lose control in favor of a workers council while u get charged with treason.

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 11, 2018

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

Holy poo poo - Ultimate Admiral (from Ultimate General/Darthmod)

https://twitter.com/reformedgamers/status/1019887132146569217

Aw yiss

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

I am with you on this much. I want Fighting Steel 2.0 not something with stylized 3D models that look like they were optimized to run on an iPad. In other words, I want a big gun battleship simulator with AAA graphics.

Not that I won’t, if this turns out to not actually be vaporware, play the poo poo out of that game when it is released.

my ideal ww2 strategy game has moving markers around but when you zoom it show the battle happening in real to me

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

JcDent posted:

There is mainstream stuff like that, but it's
rare
and
not groggy at all.

That's why whatever Total War release you get will attract mods like polyps.
And why if we get a new Company of Heroes, it will be a MOBA set in Normandy.

this is lol as poo poo considering coh2 did in fact have a game mode that was a ww2 moba

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah but I specifically want symmetric conflict between lovely modern forces. I want rusty tanks that barely run and air support provided by Cessnas with rocket pods crudely bolted to them. I want off the shelf hobbyist drones and DSHKs remote operated with Playstation controllers. Give me a campaign where every piece of relatively modern equipment you get your hands on is a priceless treasure.

a campaign where a Hilux with a ATGM is a godsend

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

what is it with early cold war swedes and having the goofiest looking armored vehicles

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just tell scenario plausability to go gently caress itself and make an alt history mod where the us balkanizes in the late 90s or some poo poo and use that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol