Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I bought Unity of Command during the sale, any beginner tips? Should I play the "main game" campaign first? Or in chronological order? I'm assuming the expansions are harder.

Also, while searching for something completely different in the thread, I stumbled upon a reference to Armoured Commander, a Tank Commander Roguelike someone is making. Its pretty cool.

And Hard. That was the first battle encounter of my first career. First set of hostiles includes radio reports of an SPG at my 10 O clock, close range. My unbuttoned commander spots it, but fails to identify it. I have him direct the driver as he reverses to find a hull down position, while the gunner rotates the turret to face the threat and the loader swaps the chambered HE round for an AP one. Unfortunately the driver fails to reach a hull down position. The SPG fires, its 75mm shell punching through the side hull effortlessly. I brew up. :supaburn:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So some lightweight Groggy Game just came out on steam. I don't give a poo poo about it for the most part, but it caught my eye because of this:

Why... why do you have the Balkenkreuz badly shopped on a T-34?! I mean, sure captured vehicles and stuff, but why use that for you banner? Why not just a Panzer IV or whatever?!

It bugs me...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

apseudonym posted:

The UK stole my battleship a month before it was done :smith:. We were bros UK why you gotta steal my tools for killing Germans.

This game is awesome.

That is why you don't pay in advance. :v: Dunno if that is even an option though.

Enjoying all these stories. First time in a while I've been tempted to pick up one of these grog games. Do I even want to know how much this one costs?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, that is actually a reasonable price.

Now all of you have to shut up about the game, since I can't use the huge cost as a reason not to get it. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Alchenar posted:

This is a tank. While the world is contemplating land battleships you have designed a sea tank.

He's just building the Monitor II. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

At least you can point at the politicians and say THIS IS YOUR FAULT! as the Italian fleet becomes artificial reefs. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I told you guys to stop talking about this game! I got other things I could spend that $35 on! You all better shut up before I get paid or there will be hell to pay. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

While my resistance to buying this game crumbles, does anyone know a website out there that covers various navies and their ships from the turn of the century? I'd settle for something that has brief descriptions of ships (no need for elaborate histories) and nice diagrams. Bonus points if the mentality for some of the design decisions were explained.

Basically I want to learn more about the ships of the era covered in the game. I'm more familiar with WW2 vessels.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 14, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arglebargle III posted:

Took about 30 minutes with notepad. Less if I didn't sit there thinking of names.

Does anyone know how to mod home area? That's the big thing it keeps throwing error messages at me about.

Neato. I'd play that. What'd you use for their Legacy Fleet? Or are all Legacy Fleets randomized rather than using historical ships?

Someone should add Turkey.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I remembered something and dug around in the pile of old books I got from my dad a while back...

:getin:

Pretty much just pictures and statistics, but still kinda interesting.

Hey Arglebargle, it has about 2 pages of content on China, including listing a few shipyards and stats on a handful pre-1900 Cruisers and destroyer-sized vessels. I dunno how much effort you want to put into that China mod, but I could copy some of that info down and/or take pictures if you want.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sadly the Turkish Navy info turned out disappointing. It doesn't have info for many ships and most of them are post 1900. The few pre-1900 ones listed unfortunately were each rebuilt at some point post 1900 so the stats aren't really accurate for representing the navy at the start of RtW.

This book is essentially a copy of a printing from 1919, so a lot of the info seems spotty, especially for minor navies. Turkey doesn't even list any shipyards (but maybe they had none, most of the ships listed were foreign built or transferred from Germany or other sources). Plus since its a 1919 edition it doesn't really list ships that were sunk before then, though it sometimes makes some references to lost sisterships of ships it profiles.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arglebargle III posted:

:justpost:

If any of you think Qing China is an insane choice for a naval power, they were actually the largest naval power in Asia until the First Sino-Japanese War. In the 1880s the Qing government bought a powerful squadron of ironclad battleships and protected cruisers from German yards. With better leadership from the 1830s onwards the Qing Empire could have weathered contact with European powers much more successfully than it did. The Guangxu Emperor might even have been China's Meiji had Empress Cixi not had him arrested and then murdered. (He died of arsenic poisoning the day before she did; it's widely speculated that she was afraid he would continue his modernizing agenda after her death. She was a really vile woman even by sympathetic accounts.)

Yeah, I knew Qing was pretty hot poo poo once, then they got their major fleet sunk by the Japanese. :v:

Anyways, here is the books stuff on China, again this is from a 1919 perspective.

The Hai Yung and Hai Chi class protected cruisers seem like they would work for a Legacy Fleet setup as CLs (the Hai Chi maybe could be a CA). The Hai Chi had a sister ship, the Hai Tien that sunk in an accident in 1904. Make up 1-3 extras of each type to repressent a stronger Qing Dynasty and it'd work.

The Fei Ying and Chien Wei Torpedo Boats would work for DDs, though you'd have to slip the Chien Wei type in a bit early.

The Hai Chi is a good looking ship too.

[fake edit] Just found a website that lists some useful information. Including a set of Chinese destroyers that the western powers seized in June, 1900.

http://www.navypedia.org/ships/china/ch_index.htm
Hai Lung Destroyers (1898)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 14, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think 35 bucks is a fair price, actually, especially compared to Prior Grog Games.

That is the most damning thing of all!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Welp, I caved. Now I gotta wait for the Reg Key or whatever.

This is all your fault. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DOMDOM posted:

I purchased at 7pm EST yesterday

I'm still waiting for that key

shipping guy must have the day off

Well, that is encouraging. Why can't these guys join the 21st century? Bah.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've only received one email. :sigh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DOMDOM posted:

I emailed nws online and they sent me the key. They said it was also sent yesterday, but I went back through spam again and I don't see it. Also tried searching the key against all mail folders - nada. gmail ate it, perhaps.

I think your email prompted their key guy to send out a batch. I got mine 10-15 minutes before you made this post. And now that I'm back home, its time to Navy!

dylguy90 posted:

Well, think no longer because I've compiled a list of like 600 mad max names and put them in a text file. Just copy/paste this bad boy into the national ship name file of your choice, and prepare to steam across the waves with Chromonuclear Satannicus, Spinebreach Bruticus, and the rest!

Might have to do this for Culture ship names. :v:

Anticipation Of A New Torpedo's Arrival

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, I should've realized that the legacy fleets in RtW are randomly generated on auto. So much for looking up those pre-1900 ships. :v:

Also, the file for creating a custom faction seems REALLY complicated. :stare:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 15, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Started my first game. Chose :japan:, decided I'd build my own legacy fleet. Designed a 9400t Heavy Cruiser. Realized it cost almost a third of my starting funds. Set it aside, designed a likely crappy 3600t Light Cruiser, ok, that is affordable, but not really what I wanted. Moved on to designing a destroyer.

Quit in a huff when I couldn't get a destroyer that felt worth a drat. I'll try again tomorrow.

Also, I wasted way too much time drawing superstructure lines and poo poo.

[edit] What do people think a good beginner nation is? I went with Japan figuring its small, so not too overwhelming, plus it gets bonuses to Torpedo technology and torpedoes are awesome.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 15, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hmmm, I've always had a soft spot for the Regia Marina, at least Its WW2 iteration.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Maybe its due to the multiple game windows? Can you set it to record the whole screen or a specific area? I'm not that familiar wir h FRAPS so I'm thinking in OBS terms.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sound like some good stuff.

I swear, I have no idea how to design ships. :negative: I think I just want my cake and to eat it too when it comes to these ships.

Also, whats the difference between casemates and single turrets for secondaries, better field of fire vs more weight?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are you sure? One of the aborted games I started my legacy fleet had cruisers equipped with mines. Cant remember if it was a CA or CL though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I haven't poked through it too much. Its pretty dry reading. Its mostly just statistics. Doesn't really include any history on any of the ships or reasoning for design decisions. Those pictures of the China Entries I posted earlier are a decent sample of what its like, even for the major nations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hmmm, that's what I thought. Here's some samples of the British in Conway's book, in case you were wondering about the content in it.

It's not all statistics, preferring to mention what happened during the ships time: if it was converted, what was its fate, etc.

The entry on the HMS Dreadnought

Yeah, that looks overall much more informative than this 1919 Jane's. I think the only place Jane's might beat it is it seems to have more statistics about ships, at least for something as well known as HMS Dreadnought.

I should really dig my actual camera out instead of using my lovely cell phone cam.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I dunno, I don't mind those that much. Most/All of them were replaced with tri-pod masts during reconstructions anyways. :v:

[edit]

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Now to use it and the next book to plan out my navy, except I'm going to swap out a current nation with another that fits the same budget.

I've actually sorta done this. Now that I can finally sit down and play it, I've built a couple ships for my Legacy Fleet based loosely on real ones. My Battleship is based on the Mikasa, while my Armoured Cruiser is based on its namesake, the Garabaldi

I had to fiddle around with the the tonnage, especially on my Garibaldi class, which displaces a good amount more than its RL version and yet carries a slightly weaker armament, go figure. I'm wondering if single 10" turrets on Armoured Cruisers will prove worthwhile compared to something like twin 7" turrets. :ohdear:

In all, I expect my Legacy Fleet to suck balls and get sunk when I somehow end up fighting the UK. Kinda got some hopes for that Acona class protected cruiser as a raider though.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 16, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Welp, Austria-Hungary blew up one of my Battleships, Napoli, via saboteur. Its WAR. :argh:

First battle is a fleet battle. Being down one of my battleships I'm not so confident in this. My two remaining battleships handily outclass theirs individually by several kilotons (14.9k vs10k) and 12" main guns vs their 9", but they have 4-5 battleships available. Then again, I have more cruisers, and my Garibaldis are nearly as powerful/armored as their battleships (though only 2x1 10"ers vs 2x2 9"ers).

This is a heck of a first battle to play. So many ships... :ohdear:

[edit] Oh by the way Pressing 1 through (1)0 on the keyboard will play that many minutes of time.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 16, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Welp, my dramatic fleet engagement proved relatively inconclusive.

My cruisers got into an hour-long exchange with their cruisers while my Battleships moved to join. We spotted their battleships coming in some miles behind their cruiser line, but suddenly their battleships refused the fight and turned away towards friendly shores, as did their cruiser line. Spent the next four hours in a running gun battle between cruiser lines, with my battleships rather ineffectually joining in (I presume my cruisers being between them and the enemy cruisers effected their performance). In the end all I managed to sink was an enemy destroyer that lost too much speed after a lucky hit and was run down and (slowly) shot to death by the CLs.

Marginal Victory indeed, I can't even claim first blood, since they kinda blew up one of my battleships in port.

Still my forces got off relatively lightly on damage, only one Armored Cruiser being put into dock for a single month's repair. I'm instituting enhanced Gunnery training immediately, this was inexcusable.

I am amused at the "fog of war" effect. During the running battle the enemy cruisers were constantly bouncing around between light/medium/heavy on the damage reports. In addition one of my CLs reported a torpedo hit on that stricken destroyer, but the after action report lists no torpedo hits suffered.

What really frustrates me is I couldn't find where you order a flotilla/Torpedo attack by the AI destroyers. Anyone know? Would've been nice to put that enhanced torpedo training to use.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 16, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Had another ineffectual fleet engagement that was judged an A-H Marginal Victory (So marginal they got *3* VP from it). Then I had an enemy costal raid that involved only cruisers and destroyers. Unfortunately I got greedy with harrying his fleeing destroyers with my cruisers and one of my Armored Cruisers took a torpedo hit. Thankfully it was only "medium" damage, with the flotation bar about half filled, only out of action for 3 months, so not bad I guess.. Sank 2 destroyers and prevented their raid for a minor victory.

warhammer651 posted:

Wait, where does it list that?

Mouse over an enemy ship and you'll get an estimate report of the ship's speed and damage condition.

[edit] On hit reports, a * means the hit penetrated armor, right?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looking forward to that Chinese mod when it gets more developed. the RtW guys said they'll look into making their editor thing more useful for fans to create custom factions.

In other news... Ugh, so far I've learned one painful lesson from this war. If you've got a ship wounded and are looking to finish it off, KEEP YOUR DISTANCE. Just pound it to death. I got too close to a crippled A-H Armoured Cruiser and it put a torpedo into the Garibaldi. The ship tried to limp to friendly port but in the end, it just couldn't make it. This turned what should've been a huge huge blow into an even trade (even if the results screen called it a "Major Victory, the VP difference wasn't much). :sigh:

Maybe I shouldn't have told the Prime Minister to press for more favorable conditions when the Austria-Hungarians initiated a peace negotiation.

Then again, a new battleship just came out of the docks, so that is good. I've also been making strides in ship design and can do wing main turrets. Pretty sure I could build the first Dreadnought style ship now, if I wanted, but I'm tempted to hold out for a bit more technology.

[edit]

See, it just doesn't feel Dreadnoughty enough, I dunno.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 16, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, during one battle while reviewing a ship's log I saw it had reported being hit by a torpedo/mine, but based on the situation at the time, a long range gun exchange, I don't think it was (plus she took no flotation damage).

During a different skirmish I had two ships report an enemy submarine but even with the game paused by the report, I found no icon/evidence of one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, not a good night to be an Austrian-Hungarian cruiser. Note to self, turrets are NOT where you skimp on armor. :stare:

I'm amused my battle-hungry battleships ID'd it as a battleship right up until the moment it exploded, then they admitted it was a cruiser. Poor battleships, its a war to avenge one of their sisters, but its been the cruisers getting all the glory. At least until now.

Given I sunk a Light Cruiser (and yet another destroyer) of theirs a month or two ago, I've been maintaining a blockade, have a great VP lead, and their population is war weary, I think I may have this war in the bag. Well, unless the army offensive that required diverting a 1 million money a month from my budget fails fantastically.

[edit]

Ahaha, blowing up those two cruisers earned me 1,626 VP for that battle vs their 38VP. In an amazing coincidence of "gently caress you, A-H" 1,626 VP is exactly how much A-H HAS after this battle. With me having 4,859 VP. Not even the Army can screw this up. Fancy coming to the negotiating table, A-H?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 16, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So, I'm now really hoping A-H comes to negotiate an end to this war. Tensions have been high with the UK for a while, but I just noticed that they've basically moved the entire British Grand Fleet, minus one battleship into the Mediterranean. Thats 9 Battleships, 10 Armored Cruisers, 15 Protected Cruisers, and 28 Destroyer escorts. :stare:

Whatever you did to piss them off Prime Minister, say you're sorry! Keep the scary Brits away from my Regia Marina! :gonk:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My war with Austria ended, the results were... disappointing:

All I got out of this war was a Battleship blown up and my budget cut. :sigh: I couldn't even take any of the Austrian Ships as prizes? gently caress they owe me a god drat Battleship! :argh:

I find it odd (But extremely fortunate) that tensions with everybody plummets when you conclude a war. I was really worried I was gonna get into a fight with the British Empire, and they'd just wipe the floor with me. Speaking of, according to the almanac, they've laid down the first dreadnought. Italy being the greatest nation ever, that means we need one too. :italy: Which brings me to the point of this post;

Unfortunately I haven't researched superfiring turrets or more than 3 main turrets on the centerline, but I did unlock cross fire. What're people's opinion of cross-firing turrets? I know in real life they could cause the ship damage due to blast wave pressure, but is that true in the game? I'm considering this as my first Dreadnought class:

I just don't know if cross-fire is worth the effort. Then again, without it the best I can do is a turret arrangement on like this:

and six 12" on the broadside doesn't feel that great.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Saros posted:

You've got cross firing but do you have heavy wing turrets? The latter usually turns up way later. Go for 3 doubles, forward/fwd centerline/aft plus the two crossfire turrets and you have a 10 gun broadside. The angles of fire for the crossfiring gun are kind of limited but otherwise it's fine.

uPen posted:

Put a 3rd centerline either fore or aft and a little more armor on the second and you've basically made HMS Dreadnought.

I'd love to add a third centerline turret, but I don't have those researched. And yeah, I have heavy wing turrets, Actually I have Main Battery Wing Turrets and Medium Wing Turrets for secondaries. All the turrets on those proposed Dreadnoughts are 12"ers.

uPen posted:

I've made several cross-deck fire battlecruisers and they've all been fantastic until they ate a dreadnought broadside and exploded.

dublish posted:

No fight is going to last 165 rounds from those guns. You can knock that down to 120-130 with no problems and save a couple hundred tons. Get something beefier than 3" secondary guns maybe.

These are good to know, and yeah, I was considering doing a Cross-fired Armored Cruiser or Battlecruiser design. While the performed admirably against the Austrian-Hungarians, I think my Garibaldi class are likely going to be outclassed in future wars. They were already slower than the A-H cruisers. I designed a faster replacement, but I somehow suspect the Marco Polo class is going to prove disappointing. Switching out the 10 6" casemate guns with four 8" turreted guns was probably not worth gaining the extra knot of speed and removing low freeboard.

And yeah, I'm learning that most of my ships are carrying too much ammo. Honestly I'm tempted to start a new game just to incorporate the lessons I've learned fighting my first war (Even if it was against a mediocre opponent).

[edit] You know maybe we do have enough RtW traffic for it to have its own thread. Then again, it might die off pretty quick. On the other hand, :justpost:.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 17, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its pretty simple. There are a few buttons in the bottom right corner of the ship designer. You can place up to four superstructure lines and four funnels. The super structure you have the option for making either lines or filled in grey shapes. The supertructure you draw on the left side of the ship and its mirrored and connected over to the other side of the ship. Funnels always get placed on the centerline, as far as I can tell. Honestly its easier just to show you, here:

The superstructure lines/blocks stack on top of eachother in descending order.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 17, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I have no idea if it is a good idea or not, but in my Italian game I prioritized Ship Design (which Italy has an advantage in), Torpedoes, and Fire Control. My reasoning was trying to quickly get better design elements and improve the quality of my weapons and their accuracy. After I got a few levels in torpedo tech (and they were proving frustrating) I put torpedoes back to medium and switched turrets and gun mounting to high priority. I don't have anything on low priority.

Also, it seems like its pretty much always worthwhile to put a full 10% of your budget into R&D.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, here is a lovely OP for a potential RtW thread. Anything I should add? Or should I just scrap it like an oversized Dreadnought after a naval treaty?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I swear, I put that in. :psyduck:

Ok, besides that. :spain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Geoff posted:

RtW sounds amazing, can't wait to try it. Does it simulate submarine warfare too?

There are submarines, and you will probably research the most rudimentary type within the first 5 years. However your control over them is extremely limited. Basically you build subs and then tell your Submarine fleet to take one of three approaches during wartime: Fleet Support (scouts for enemy ships and tries to assist during naval battles), Prize Regulations (raids enemy merchant shipping according to military law), and Unrestricted Warfare (raids enemy merchant shipping without regard for military law, more effective, but angers neutral powers). You do not have direct control over them however, even when on Fleet Support mode. You also don't get to design them, they're just simple types "Early Costal Submarine", "Medium Submarine" etc.

I had 5 Early Costal Submarines built going into my war as Italy with A-H. All but 1 were sunk during that time and they killed only a handful of Merchants and were never able to contribute to a navy battle. I believe they increase in effectiveness quite significantly later on, especially the non-costal submarines.