Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Great new OP/thread.

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, at he end of the last thread we had some interest in WITE Multiplayer games - These are the people who expressed Interest.

Jakse
Me!
Alchenar
uPen

So, I'm still up for a game, so anyone want to play me, I've not really played since the LP, and I don't mind which side I have!

I'm still down for doing more of the smaller scenarios if people want, but I think 1 grand campaign is all I could handle on that front for now.

Also yeah, Warsaw to Paris owns and everyone should PBEM it as frequently as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

I found the Africa Korps scenarios far more interesting and slightly less puzzlesque and have heard the DLC is similar. I may shell out for this in all honesty.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Unless I missed it, their logic about creating a core group of suckers will lead to more revenue than getting people to actually buy the games makes no loving sense. I get that they are worried about people not getting the games but holy poo poo, look at the success of Panzer Corps and Unity of Command. Maybe those and the cheaper games are part of the reason that marketshare is increasing.

They are counting on people being suckers or getting really, really drunk and saying "eh 80 bucks whatever burrrrrp."

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

And loving if nothing else drop the price of the older games. I'd love to play Korsun pocket or the Decisive Battles series but they are all still 40-50 dollars. gently caress that for a game built or based on 2004 engine poo poo. Even 20-30 dollars is still such a difference from 40 and would bring so many more people into the genre. People with money. poo poo tons of money.

Then again maybe Alchenar is right. They can sunk cost fallacy us into playing for hours and hours then saying hey look at how much these saps play our poo poo.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

If we were to get decent fonts it would punish the true believers who bought in with the old fonts.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

As the Germans it's really easy to forget that the reason the Allies make bad decisions sometimes is because the game forces them into fuckups :P

Not having a Dyle line of any kind is going to prove to be a serious issue over the next couple of turns; Brussels is already untenable and the BEF is still scrambling to form a line.

I had a perfectly good line until some jerkass panzer corps broke through to the south and forced me to move a full corps away from the balance of my force and leave my LOC (lovely reserves) to man the Brussels line. Then the other panzercorps hit said reservists and welp.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Stop talking and post pictures already. I've been trying to avoid war gaming but you people are making it hard. Now I see a really good pbem game going on. Ugh. Is this decisive battles? Show me where to spend my money!!!

Pictures are pre British moves on May 17th, 1940.

Belgium has lost a great deal of forces, but using rivers and fortresses they have formed a valuable line. French troops are reinforcing gaps.

Panzers! On the 16th they started to break west so Britain was setting up their reserve corps here. Germany then wheeled north to strike the gap in the weakest British corps. (This caused Britain to slide back, cut off one German regiment but most likely cede some horrible crossing). Britain also sticks to cities and forests due to the hegemony of the Luftwaffe over the air.

Ugh. This breakthrough forced me to send my best corps (first) here. The northern regiments were fine, but 1 Div, 1st and artillery regiments were reduced to 700 men and supports between the two of them. Hiding in forest and cities is key, getting forced out means you are Stuka bait.

gently caress you, Guderian. Guderian never went to Sedan. Hitting here was a pivotal point between French 9th and 1st and the main impetus to divert British I Corps.

gently caress.

Buy this game and play with us. Our co-op game was hilarious but we beat the Polish AI, I swear!

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

uPen posted:

I own this and case blue from that sale awhile back and I've sunk some time into the smaller scenarios but I understand basically nothing about this game.

I don't have case blue but I would play you in any scenario any side in WtP because it is really that good. Takes a while to understand that CV is even more an estimate than WitE but the color coding and highlighting makes it much easier than WitE.

I may Let's Play this if there is interest but my Commander: the Great War game is never going to loving end because Operation Sea Lion in 1915 is going just like you imagine it would.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Free set up for Gelb is really, really fun. Probably don't wanna do Gelb twice in a row but depending on how long we play but it is a fun option.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Megadyptes posted:

Speaking of wargame companies being dumb regarding prices and sales, I was just browsing through the AGEOD forums to check out what's new and came across this thread about AGEOD breaking away from Paradox and moving over to Matrix for publishing.

If your game's too cheap people won't appreciate it. Wargamers. AGEOD games are not outrageously priced to begin with, unlike Matrix and others, but completely abandoning Steam is just dumb. I guess Matrix is involved with that decision.

Anyway, what's a good WW1 game? I bought the AGEOD WW1 produced game a while back but I never liked it. I've also played a bunch of OPART WW1 scenarios over the years but I want something more WW1 focused. The two options seem to be Strategic Command World War 1 and Commander The Great War, are they any good/which one is the best?

How grognardy do you like to get? Stratcom has more depth and more variety in scenarios, but CtGW looks great, plays smoothly, and makes a poo poo ton of sense. It is done by the Lordz studio of Panzer Corps fame. I loving love it personally, but I don't have a lot of experience with Stratcom so don't just take my word for it.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

So uPen levels of Za Rodinu aside, what is an acceptable Soviet goal through the first summer in terms of land held and casualty ratio versus a human player? Also how variable is the variable weather? I really, really need mud.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

How long to destroyed German units freeze in War in the East? Does it lower their maximum possible morale or just gently caress the units over by having them build it back up?

Also what are the differences between Steel Panthers World at War and World War II? Is it just preference or is one just better than the other?

Also is 10 a good amount of support units for armies? I have all my armies outfitted with SU's and some great generals but I still hit my AP limit until I hosed up my OOB switching around an army and had to pay a bunch to fix it.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 14, 2013

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Glad to know I was right about them banking on sunk cost. Also I'm doing a DC lp soon with one shots and what not but can anyone explain combat better than guesstimate stacking numbers, look at type of unit and terrain, then try for divisional and concentric bonus? Reading the manual breaks down individual units rolling dice with a table but gently caress if I could even attempt to explain that in a way that makes sense (if I even get it at all).

Alchenar's thoughts a few pages ago are about all that really makes sense.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Decisive Campaigns question: How does command-and-control work in this game? I usually just move my HQs to be as close as possible to their respective subordinate units, or at least try to catch everyone within the "green zone", but I don't really know what any of this means. I'm also wondering if I'm causing something bad by moving the HQs every turn. Finally, how do you deal with the units that are directly attached to Army HQs instead of Corps HQs? It's sometimes a little difficult to keep them in the "green zone" of the Army HQ when they're so spread out.

EDIT: The new Matrix deals of the week are blah. Time of Fury is terrible and Panzer Command Ostfront is a mediocre Combat Mission-like.

That usually works well enough for me, but I think the meat of it is shown if you turn on the supply layer. Each regiment needs a certain amount of supplies and each HQ sends them factoring distance and terrain. The colors don't seem to be a hard limit, but I've noticed if you really advance far or stretch things out it can take a hit even if you are in the green all the way up the chain. I honestly never turn on the layer though.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

You may remember, a while back I had the opportunity to interview Tomislav Uzelac, the lead developer of Unity of Command.
He was a really cool guy and I feel like I learned a lot about how games are made and why developers make the decisions they do regarding mechanics.

http://ritalingamer.com/uncategorized/item/29-interview-with-tomislav-uzelac-of-2x2-games.html

My interview with Ante Turadic, the AI developer, should go up on Armchair General any day now.

Let me know what you think.

As always, if you can't access the site, let me know and I'll go pound on the firewall with a wrench.

Print this out and send it to every Matrix and Slitherine employee/contributor.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

RIP Happy Hedonist.

He stopped posting too.

Man, DC the Poland scenario with deep deployment doesn't gently caress around. Our goon game is going less than well for everyone but you it seems.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

My interview of Ante Turudic, the lead AI developer on Unity of Command, is up on Armchairgeneral.com.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/unity-of-command-a-look-behind-its-challenging-artificial-intelligence.htm

If you've ever been curious about how they managed to make the AI so clever, wonder no more.

This was the commissioned companion piece to the interview of Tomislav Uzelac I did for my blog, which you can find here. http://ritalingamer.com/uncategorized/item/29-interview-with-tomislav-uzelac-of-2x2-games.html

As always, your feedback and comments are very much appreciated.

The feedback is keep doing these interviews.

Speaking of UoC, Amazon has Red Turn for 2.49 right now. Picked it up and enjoying it so far.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

Personally I'm a fan of Strategic Command: World War One.

Reminder stratcom has a demo and it can't hurt to try.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

SkySteak posted:

I know people have suggested doing some of the smaller scenarios for War in the East but is there any good guides for it? The manual is of course, great but the amount of concepts it introduces is somewhat, well overwhelming.

http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East/ for the German side and for Russia: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535440&pagenumber=1

You have to get pretty far into both for all mechanics to be covered, but they were enough to get me to actually play a grand campaign online (gonna finish my turn eventually Grey Hunter!)

ElBrak posted:

The best way to learn WITE is to just play some of the super short scenarios, the descriptions tell you what you should be learning from it. Or you could just play a Grand Campaign in multiplayer, that is always fun. Just don't be like Lord Windy and stop doing turns and not responding to PMs or emails. (I am still pretty mad about that.)

I thought I had pm'd you back but just pick a scenario and side and we can start rolling again.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Have a number 2x bigger than your opponent when attacking. Don't actually attack when you can bypass. Supplies come from railheads.

That's all the basics you need to know.

Unless you are Russia in year one, then you can win if you match 1 to 1.

VVV Well I know, but if you are jonesing for some WitE (and don't mind continuing to whoop my rear end).

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 5, 2013

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

No worries, you've pretty much won. I don't know how to deal with the "run away" defense for the Russians. Plus the random weather crippled me at a critical moment.

Random weather is really, really unfair. I wish I had screenshots but during your biggest salients in the center and south it actually gave me snow and you mud on the most crucial turn for breakthroughs. I get that historical weather is easier for the Russians to plan, but holy poo poo, random weather did more to hurt you than I ever could.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Is the other sale title worth looking at? They did Korsun Pocket and other games that I think are fairly well regarded. I tried the demo for one and it seemed fun but man I found the controls and UI counter-intuitive. Then again, I think DC is my favorite grognard game so it's not like a strange learning curve has stopped me before.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I just want more Decisive Campaigns games with team multiplayer. The Poland game we're currently playing has been pretty intense.

e: for those of you not playing, I'm currently pulling off a Polish Backhand Blow.

Are you referring to the encirclement of almost 3 divisions worth of 14th Army or is there another surprise in store?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Hey y'all, if you haven't checked out the Historicon stuff from Matrix it might be worth looking at.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3368547

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3368558

Mostly screenshots but there is some discussion. poo poo tons of things coming to iPad including Panzer Corps and Commander: the Great War. Civil War II, a new Forge of Freedom, and loving War in the West are all showcased.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think this plays well with Win7. I could never get the demo to run.

As the proud owner of Birth of America 2 and ACW, I can confirm this.

I feel like there is a great game trapped in ACW and Birth of America. I put 8 hours into Birth of America trying to find it. I don't think I did. I don't think I did anything in that game.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I haven't been into Grognard Games for a long time, but really loved Panzer General and Fantasy General as a kid. I'm wondering if you guys can point me to any modern things which approximate an update of the best of SSI's old games. I thought 1C Company's Fantasy Wars series was pretty good.

If you like Panzer General then Panzer Corps is probably a must. This is about to come out: http://matrixgames.com/news/1148/Germany.at.War:.Developer%27s.Note. It is basically Panzer Corps on the Eastern front with realistic unit sizes. It has more features than Panzer Corps but the main anti-grog on it is it does not have frontlines.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

drat, that was quick and helpful. I'll have to check out Panzer Corps; I tried out Unity of Command and it felt like breaking through enemy units and lines was absurdly difficult. I was probably doing something wrong there.

Try, gently caress up, and watch what the AI does in UoC. But yeah, Panzer Corps, Allied/Afrika Korps, but also the new Barbarossa game may be your speed. Someday if you want to get more grognardy look into the Decisive Campaigns series.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Thats... a very reasonable price point. I think I might wait just for the reviews (filtering through grognard bias).

Hell, the developer's diary is just a long list of 'here is everything wargame designers gently caress up. Here is how we are dealing with that poo poo'. I might throw my money their way just to encourage that.

I don't like how it doesn't have supply lines but I am very interested in it. Waiting on reviews and thoughts as well. You are right that encouraging moving the genre forward and that 35 dollars makes more sense than 100 is a good thing worth throwing money at.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Necroneocon posted:

There are supply lines. I bought it, haven't played it yet (still at work), but from reading the manual they have supply and advanced supply rules. Will give impressions later. Also you can play with NATO symbols... OOOooOOooOOoo

Reading dev comments it seems like there is a supply system and historical modifiers, but it doesn't look like you have traceable lines that someone can cut off. Still hoping to get impressions because it looks interesting.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

GenericRX posted:

Would anyone be interested in a Case Blue PBEM? I've just picked it up and am still learning, and the spreadsheet says a lot of you have it.

Why are you doing this when I am on my honeymoon. I do not have the money. loving goon game is not something I can pass up though. Put me down as a maybe. The Warsaw to Paris goon games have been a blast so far.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

GenericRX posted:

Well, I don't know how to play much less start a serious PBEM so I'm asking you DC veterans to help me on that front.

Why can't all interfaces be like Unity of Command, where I hold one button to see my supply lines :qq:

It's a lot of gut instinct. CV is more stacking than combat. The HQ radius is actually the staff bonus to combat and not supply lines. You have to click the supply layer and it sucks. That said it is probably my favorite grognard game. If goons wait a few weeks then I'm in. Also even though I'll take days to do my turn due to honeymoon grats to Alchenar on delaying Poland's demise and making Germany bleed for it.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Though one issue with it is it kind of screws with coordination of joint attacks. Though the idea of working through that adds an interesting wrinkle to the gameplay.

That has been a lot of the fun of the goon games though. Even in Warsaw to Paris, each Army fights in turn (or Army Group/Country for the Paris scenario) so it purposefully makes coordination more challenging. Hell, as OKH, I had to take screenshots of recon flights to make sure everyone had that vision. It adds to it quite a bit.

I'm eventually going to lp Warsaw to Paris to show off some of the mechanics. If you get bored though, read about how combat actually works in the manual, that poo poo is a trip and a half.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Baloogan posted:

50bux cheap!

35 for the download. I was interested til Alchenar posted that quality screenshot.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

GenericRX posted:

Reassuring! I just don't want the pressure of actually being useful - something like the Slovakian Army in Case White is more my ability.

Also, in the Case Yellow scenario, is Manstein's attack not simulated? It only shows the Belgian border.

No, it should all be there. There are actually neat variants to cancel the plan or allow both sides to use free set-up.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Think I'm gonna grab Case Blue to get in on the goon game. Also thoughts on Germany at War? Worth it?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

I'm still in for the next one. Really thought we could pull this off, but by goon schedule we should be in Warsaw right around the US entry to the war. Case Yellow actually only has 6(7). Army Group A, B, OKH (just planes and cards, if you play this separate you will get yelled at by everyone for everything, RIP Alikchi), BEF, France, Netherlands, Belgium.

So for sure Case Blue is only 1v1? I really wanted to play it with goons, but for 40 bucks, lot of other games I could try.

For reference, MP in the other can be Poland (not sure if the different city groups can be split), OKH, 3rd Army, 4th Army, 8th Army, 10th Army, and 14th Army.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

So I'm trying to get into some of the games I haven't played as much and I'm kind of bad at the vanilla Panzer Corps. I think I've gotten to Barbarossa before super ahistorical 12 strength things exist. I have done pretty well on Afrika Korps and achieve the better victories but I suck at vanilla. For the record, I never really played Panzer General so I don't have the hours of experience there.

Wanted to buy Germany at War but without a demo/goon review I figure I should get my money's worth out of games I own first.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Our game just ended, we're just waiting on Jakse to put up an endstate post detailing his utter failure as OKH team-mates inability to co-ordinate an offensive against the mighty Polish army and then we'll do sign-up for the next game in this thread to make sure everyone gets a chance to be involved.

They got detailed recon every turn :colbert:. I stayed hands off on strategy though.

So Alchenar posted his plan. We did a co-op Fall Weiss game in Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris. The variant active was Poland doing a deep deployment. Instead of historically butchering ourselves or pulling off some slick encirclements, we spent the first few turns groping about nothing.

Warsaw is completely cut off and on October 1st was still in the process of getting reduced. At this rate Poland will be surrendering right around US entry into the war.

Another valuable city cut off but holding on. As revealed earlier in the thread, Poland played a card to get supplies from this city. It may be cut off, but it won't be going down for a long time.

3rd Army got an opening too little too late. 10th Army had to help in the assault on Warsaw and leave this front weaker.

Poland tried valiantly to cut off 14th Army. For a while it did actually, but this last gasp with an armored train was my favorite.

As Alchenar posted, we could have severed much of his supply lines here. Rivers, mountains, etc.

Me almost doing something but it doesn't matter when it is the last three turns.

The other half of 3rd Army. It did nothing. It spent a lot of time getting cut off or just plain running out of fuel and sitting around. It was consequently when I started using engineers more for bridge building than helping with encirclements.

Nothing to see here.

So congrats to Alchenar.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 8, 2013

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

GenericRX posted:

Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris, yours for only 39.99 USD (or something like that)! Almost accessible is right, a practice scenario taught me most of what I needed to know. Also has multiple player PBEM and an upcoming goon game (?)

It's the greatest game that I barely understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

The original Combat Mission is on GOG for :10bux: and has a billion hours of gameplay as long as you're not tired of Western Allies vs Germans. One thing I really like about CM is that it gets that feel of having to use real-life tactics and real-life command decisions. There's not a lot of "gaming the system" that I've found, which is something that even the more complex grognard games fail to do.

Unity of Command also goes on sale fairly often and is my preferred gateway drug to grognard games, the other being Panzer Corps, or the freeware Panzer General Forever or Open General

Gonna do a one shot of it in my lp thread, but Germany at War is actually a good bridge between Panzer Corps mechanics and better maps and scenarios. I really like it. Downside is it looks like rear end. loving rear end. Even with counters it is really, really bad. I enjoy it immensely but it is ugly as poo poo. Something to consider for people getting in on grognard gaming. 35 bucks so it isn't terrible.