Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Speaking of wargame companies being dumb regarding prices and sales, I was just browsing through the AGEOD forums to check out what's new and came across this thread about AGEOD breaking away from Paradox and moving over to Matrix for publishing.

Pocus-lead dev posted:

Steam will probably not sell anymore our products. As the general statement said (in News from Ageod), we don't feel it is a good thing in the long term to have games sold at 2 euros apiece (or even less, I saw ROP at 99 cents during a discount operation) because it means there is no way we can support on the long term these games. There are two philosophies here, either games are just consumable products, you use them for a short period of time and then you move on, or the games are supported for a long time and they strive to remains a reference and a classic on a particular subject. Given that we don't produce games dealing with dwarves making funny sounds and burps, with a lot of particles effects and coloured lights, I believe the second solution is better for us (I'm not against dwarves in games by the way, I like them actually, having played a lot of Dwarf fortress and even this little Dwarfs! game on Steam)

Pocus posted:

Rise of Prussia and Pride of Nations have been offered through Steam by Paradox. It is true that a huge number of people bought it, but as it was at severely discounted price, it amounted to only a 'medium' level of sales, if you compare to a normal priced product. Side effect is that anybody and his cat and goldfish that could remotely been interested by these products have bought it, so the 'afterlife' of these 2 games is much more desert that our others games.

Pocus posted:

There is no question that Steam, with its ubiquitous visibility allows developers to be known to the public. That said, pricing policy done tends to be 'fire and forget' sometime, PON was down for a very low price on Steam, I think it was 1.5$ during a day or a week-end.
As someone said also, you often only value what costs you something. Getting PON for 1.5$, given it needs time to be appreciated means most of people bought it, fired it for 10 mn and found it too slow or deep for their taste and did not stick to the game. Paradoxically, if they bought it at 25$, perhaps they would have tried harder and many would probably have enjoyed it much more, past the initial learning curve.

If your game's too cheap people won't appreciate it. Wargamers. AGEOD games are not outrageously priced to begin with, unlike Matrix and others, but completely abandoning Steam is just dumb. I guess Matrix is involved with that decision.

Anyway, what's a good WW1 game? I bought the AGEOD WW1 produced game a while back but I never liked it. I've also played a bunch of OPART WW1 scenarios over the years but I want something more WW1 focused. The two options seem to be Strategic Command World War 1 and Commander The Great War, are they any good/which one is the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

How the hell is that too much effort? It's just really shady and annoying.
The SC:WW1 demo seems pretty cool, even if the square tiles and graphics reminds me of Civ2.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Not being able to easily re-download a game you have purchased makes you appreciate it more.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I'm playing around with Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg and I'm having a blast. Only played the Netherlands smaller scenario so far and managed to make them surrender two days before history :smug: (yeah I know it's a piss easy scenario). I'm really digging the card system, I messed about with the Sealion scenario a little bit and having all these different options was cool.

Baloogan posted:

I really like TOAOW. Operational level simulation is why I like wargames.
Yeah, TOAW 3 is pretty awesome, played a ton of it over the years.

gradenko_2000 posted:

similar to Paradox's Crusader Kings 1 not being made by Paradox themselves)
This is not true. Originally CK1 was being made by some Russian(?) dev, Snowball I think, for Paradox but they got fired for taking way too long (or something along those lines) and Paradox took over development themselves and pretty much re-wrote everything in ten months.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

OPART is awesome, been playing it since version 1 back in the day.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

People grumbling about stuff is the very definition of a grognard :v:

But seriously, gently caress Matrix and their prices.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Tomn posted:

The last one I remember playing was Civil War General 2,
That game was awesome. Wargame Construction Set III: Age of Rifles 1846-1905 released a year or two before also had a bunch of American Civil War battles, plus a ton of scenarios from around the world from the Franco-Prussian War to the Zulu War. Pretty fun.
As mentioned, John Tiller has a bunch of tactical level hex civil war games. http://www.johntillersoftware.com/CivilWarBattles.html

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I just noticed that John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns Touch was released for Android and Apple poo poo. Downloading now. They also have Modern Air Power which is pretty cool on my Nexus 7.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Oh cool, I remember looking at that game in the past and thinking about buying it, guess I'll do so now.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Well I've enjoyed their previous games, American Civil War, Birth of America II and Rise of Prussia being the ones that I've played. The only real stinker was Pride of Nations as their engine was totally not suited to the task.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

For SPWW2 and SPMBT if you delete dxanitimer.dll and rename camodll.dll to dxanitimer.dll you get more resolution options.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Well gently caress slitherine/matrix, just gonna play the original which has a port to run on modern systems natively. http://www.raceintospace.org/

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The best part was beating those damned Imperialist dogs and claiming the Moon for the glory of the Soviet Space Empire. Although I never managed that as I am very bad at the game.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Baloogan posted:

I'd just like to point out that Command is cheaper
Still too loving much though.
gently caress Matrix.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The base Paanzer Campaigns app runs ok on my old Nexus, could run a lot better though, scrolling is a bit meh.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

"a pro grog posted:

I understand....... that people wanted this game to be a comfortable purchase. A nice computer game purchase like all the rest. Where they could sit and complain, oooooh come on, 70 bucks is asking too much, get with the program, this is 2013, I should be able to get a digital download for slightly less, 60 bucks eh. And then there would be those waiting for the seasonal sale in 2 years and wanting it for 50 bucks. And then the person expecting it in 5 years to be massively discounted, because it's an old game.

I suppose some simply can't wrap their head around the idea, that World in Flames is a BOARD GAME, and through a generous arrangement, ADG has made it ok to put it into computer form, make it possible to display it on a computer, and have it as a means to defeat the need for a room killing map monster.

But it's till a board game. ADG COULD have said, no, and not allowed anyone to make it into the computer version it is.

Yeah they COULD have made it a digital download, no damned books. But that likely was never the objective.
If it had been me, I would not have made the pdf files. It would have solved the problem. I guess Slitherine Group has learned a valuable lesson here.

As for the cost, hmm I could start listing all the other notable, and famous wargames, all board games, that generally speaking don't cost 10s of dollars, but hundreds of dollars. I know of plenty that cost 200 and 300 bucks. I know that ASL has single modules that cost as much as computer World in Flames. And the shipping isn't free, they are not sold by Amazon.

It is unfortunate that Slitherine Group has made an error in the case of this game, in assessing the reaction by some, of being told the manuals were part of the purchase. It's unfortunate some parts of the planet suck.

The game is sold WITH manuals, in the same way board games are sold WITH counters. It's part of the product.

I do wish people would stop crying about their pockets. Yes you can't afford it, yes life is hard, yes you still want it.
I wish I could afford 32nd scale aircraft kits. But they tend to range in the 150 dollar zone. So I stick to the more affordable 72nd scale range.
It's called accepting your limitations. Not complaining about the price.
I tend to buy kits by order in person at the store. I tend to pay 30% more this way. I might get them online cheaper. But they also demand I use plastic. And I don't like that. I like being able to order something and pay a local business person cash.
You only get what you pay for in life.
And sometimes you have to pay more than you might like.
Your alternative is as always, you can always go without.

Enjoy the books. They are awesome. Or not, your choice. Stop crying about them though eh.
Some of us are out here facepalming thinking that some of you are making the hobby look like it is rife with spoiled entitled brats disguised as old men.
:chord:

eh link hosed up, here's the thread the post is in though http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3469225

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Why do you have to load up a pdf to see everything they have on sale? Why not have a page on their website? Why are Matrix so bad at everything?
And why are the links in the PDF directing you straight to the checkout? I just wanted to look at the product page to see what the hell someone was not buy it straight away. So mad about video games right now.

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 26, 2013

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Bought Commander: The Great War, it's pretty neat. October 1915 and things aren't going so great, the Hun are knocking on the doors of Paris :france:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I got the Slitherine December newsletter in my inbox, this made I laugh:
"Dear Megadyptes ,

Let's admit it: we like to reward you. "

:pwn:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

ReD THUNDEЯ needs some anti-tank dogs for real eastern front brutality

Another serious training mistake was revealed later; the Soviets used their own diesel-engine tanks to train the dogs rather than German tanks which had gasoline engines. As the dogs relied on their acute sense of smell, the dogs sought out familiar Soviet tanks instead of strange-smelling German tanks. :ussr:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Has anyone played Commander Napoleon at War? The Great War is pretty neat and I could go for a decent Napoleonics game in the same vein.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I finished a Commander the Great War 1914 Entente campaign yesterday. in the west I managed to stall the german advance pretty quickly, never even got the event popup about paris being threatened and that front remained mostly static for a year and a half, I totally cockblocked the austro-hungarians in serbia, that front was even more stable than the western front and in the east I managed to fight a successful fighting retreat towards the dnieper and western dvina rivers without getting totally overrun. italians joined the war and I started pushing east into the balkans, around the same time something happened with the AI, maybe the morale was dropping too low or manpower or something because I noticed big gaps in the eastern front. pushed my russian troops forward and began a huge counter attack in late 1915 all along the front and launched some big attacks in the other fronts.

mid 1916 I was pushing the central powers back on every front into their home lands and sweeping away almost everything they could throw at me, managed a few large encircling manoeuvres too. loving bastards wouldn't surrender though so I had to occupy every last loving city in germany and austria-hungary. romania joined the war on the exact same turn that I occupied the last A-H city :jerkbag: the bulgarians never joined the war. before I launched my huge counter attacks they were 3-5 turns of joining the war but it seems they changed their minds after the russian hordes started moving west. the Ottomans were the last to fall in sometimes august-september 1916, the fall was hastened by landings in izmir and the occupation of istanbul by some italian troops. now europe is occupied by huge russian and anglo-french/italian/serb forces. the cold war begins in 1916.

I keep on starting games as the central powers but I keep on losing way too many troops, loving serbs are op.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I don't really give a poo poo about the american civil war but I see there's a Napoleonic mod for SOW. Anyone know if it's any good?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I know it's a game, but there's a napoleonics war total conversion mod for it, was wondering if anyone's tried it out.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

also they probably have to manually edit a thousand separate fields in five different spreadsheets to change the price on the bundle because :matrix: these guys are so loving incompetent.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

jaegerx posted:

All this civil war game talk really makes me wish I could get Sid mieres Gettysburg working on my pc. Does anyone know if it works on windows 8.1?

I got it working on 7
http://antietam-gettysburg.com/SMGBattlePacks/BattlePack.html
just mess around with those patches and see if anything works

Ultimate General looks p nice, like a modern version of sid meier's game

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

orphean posted:

Questions: What the gently caress is up with Slitherine and Matrix Games? Are they the same company or not? Because they sure seem like the same company until you realize they seem to share absolutely nothing on the backend.

yeah they merged a few years ago and they are just really poo poo at websites. and video game publishing.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Unity of Command on sale at the game's main website http://unityofcommand.net/ go get it and the addons if you don't already!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

there's a bunch of TOAW scenarios for 'nam. The rugged defence scenario depot has a ton of them. also some bloke did a series of scenarios covering a lot of the war in quite some detail with pdfs detailing a ton of crap https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/
John Tiller also has a vietnam squad battles game.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

:henget:

it's kinda cool how the map shifts further south in later battles but at the same time it's really loving easy to box the AI against the map edge and slowly slaughter them all. it can also be kinda hard to make out elevation in game leading to alot of loving around placing artillery and the game really needs a mini map but for an early access game and at six quid it's pretty decent.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

yeah some extra movement controls/guides would be nice, the regiments are pretty smart at turning themselves but then my lines get all messy :saddowns:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

it's a bit dumb how the panzer corps dlcs are not on sale also but it's a loving miracle that a matrix game is on steam and on sale in the first place so I can't complain much. I really hope this sells a fair number of copies to show matrix that steam and sales really do work

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

it is pretty decent and not too complex. I bought it on sale a while back and you can redeem your key on steam which is pretty cool.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Alchenar posted:

Tried to play To End All Wars.

Oh god that interface. It's somehow gotten worse.
you've bitched about ageod games being poo poo and the same a bunch of times in this thread and yet you went out and bought the new one? lol.

a friend wants me to get the game for some pbem but I really can't see this game working well at all, the engine works alright for pre 20th century wars but WW1? nah.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I've been reading some books about the wars of the roses and I really want some late medieval warfare action. any wargames out there with scenarios from the wars of the roses or other poo poo from the same era? Only stuff I've been able to find is some HPS game called renaissance which appears to be mostly 16th century battles and some addon for that fields of glory game but I hear the ai for that game is pretty meh.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

oh yeah kingmaker is pretty cool I guess, still not a wargame though :( this pike and shot, although a bit later than I wanted, does look pretty cool as well. I'm liking the graphical style.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

'The list of deals is so long that it’s impossible to display it here,' sure it is, Matrix :rolleyes: and yet another loving PDF with no links for all their sales, incompetent wankers.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The older poo poo on other websites is due to them having actual publishers for their early games, some guy on gog asked why only Beyond Overlord was the only game on there and someone replied with

quote:

Battlefronts (Creators of CM series) reply on GOG sales from their forum:

"SFI had the license to the game for a while now. It was sold from their website and I think even via Steam for some time. Our cooperation with SFI however has been terminated, and I guess they're exercising their sell-off period right now. No problem about getting it there but don't come to us for support."

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Alikchi posted:

I always thought the DC engine would be great to model Case Green with.

http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=189&tpage=0&tplayer=0&ttag=0&tai=0&tdeleted=0&tengine=3

I played this a while back and it was pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Lichtenstein posted:

What are my best options to get my Caesar on?

Hegemony: Rome doesn't count (I have a love/hate thing going on with this series), and I'll probably require some convincing for Alea Iacta Est (eww, AGEOD).

Great Battles Collectors Edition, the three games of the Great Battles series, Alexander, Hannibal and Caesar.