Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

This is something that's been mentioned to them before, I think I heard its actually illegal, but they say its to much effort for their servers.

Perhaps they should upgrade to younger gerbils running in the wheels? Because they must be using some kind of Lego-based technology for a VAT (or any other tax calculation) to be "too much effort for the servers".

If they said "too much effort for the guy doing the website", maybe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

yeah, it might have been that. It was definitely "nah, that's to much effort."

"Hi, we're Matrix, experts in the art of kriegsperg. We can model the effects of a rare medium-caliber armour-piercing round on an even more rare armoured-vehicle variant, or calculate the percentages of a mixed-infantry assault across a river into woods containing a third-line police cavalry unit.

"Estimating taxes on a purchase? MATH IS HARD."

:v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Jakse posted:

Also what are the differences between Steel Panthers World at War and World War II? Is it just preference or is one just better than the other?

As best I can tell after the fact, SPWAW and SPWW2 are the result of a split in the devs who were working with the Steel Panthers 3 code - the basics are similar (squads and below, individual vehicles) but the way the mechanics function differ.

WW2 has a much larger TO&E capability, IIRC, along with larger/more varied maps and more/prettier colours (I think). WAW has the MegaCampaigns, which are hardcoded mods, and (when I was obsessively regularly playing) better scenarios.

I'm siure there's other differences (I seem to recall one or the other having much nastier splash damage, especially from napalm/heavy arty or bombers), but I disremember off the top of my head, and being at work means the NannyWall keeps me from bouncing over to the respective websites to look.

My own personal choice would be WAW, but I also have MBT just because sometime you need to send a ridiculous Jun horde of North Koreans into a single USMC Abreams company, just to see the carnage. (Don't forget to buy some AAA.)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Quick "should I throw myself on this unexploded game" question: in wandering through the Android appstore, I've found the "Conflict-series" by Joni Nuutinen, which look all old-school grognardy with the hexes and counters and all, but I'm at work and have no actual access for my device.

Are these worthwhile, or should I put my $2.99 each towards my post-apocalytic Cheetos cache instead?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Dunno but you're only $3 away from figuring if they're any good so be sure and let us know.

Naw, I'm about 30% brain activity away from noticing that there was a demo version of Operation Barbarossa. :downs:

Also grabbed the football simulator wargame suggested by gradenko_2000, Russian Eagle vs. German Bear.

(I used :downs: for a reason, y'know. :v:)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
IIRC, there's a "unit move" option in SPMBT - might be in SPWAW, can't recall for sure. Only problem is, you get to move your command unit (I think) and then AI pathfinding takes over for the rest. And clusters.

Might work better if you move one hex at a time, maybe, but I'm impatSHIT MINES/ATGMS/BOGGED :argh:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
CM: Touch is good, IMO. Even on my rooted Nook Color, which is admittedly underpowered, the biggest issue I've had is camera maneuvering (and unit selection when in clusters, oh well).

I forget how cheap I got CMSF, but it was via a 3rd-party site - GoGamer or something - and I ended up having to buy the patch when I finally got around to installing it. :rolleyes: As for "save your install file or buy again", yeah. :smith: I've got a perfectly good activation code for a game I actually wanted and played some, but lost the install file, and it'd been like six months past the deadline when I found out.

Someone please come out with an updated Age of Rifles - even if it's just a Matrix "make it work in Windows" release. An SPWAW/MBT/WWII-scale game would be even better.

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 30, 2013

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

gfanikf posted:

So I found out I can get Age of Rifles to work on my Samsung Galaxy III :getin:

I assume it works fine on any modern smart phone or Android Tablet (even better on the latter).

Details? Or is it just Android DOSbox'ing or something? 'cause I have a rooted (CM10.2) Nook Color that, while underpowered, runs Combat Mission Touch OK. AoR should be fine, I'd think.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Dosbox Turbo and DoxBox Manager Apps from the play store, so yeah Android Dosboxing, but it works really nicely and runs smoothly. Still can't get sound to work, but can anyone on any modern computer? lol

Hmm, I'll need to check this out. All kinds of ancient things I could be running... maybe try SPWAW/MBT, too.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Gorilla Radio posted:

Yes, I will PM you.

That av just called you out, didn't it? :clint:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Well hello game I'm buying as soon as I get home. Is this the Talonsoft game that had the Sealion mission pack?

West Front had the Sealion expansion, Rising Sun had Knee Deep In The Dead Operation Olympic.

I actually bought all three + expansions, based off playing the Rising Sun demo back when I first defected to PC gaming from my Amiga. Pretty sure I still have all the CDs in my binder somewhere, as well as the manuals.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Neruz posted:

I'm really hoping that somewhere there is a ship with a Mk. 2 Eyeball.

First you have to spend research points on the prerequisites "glasses" and "contact lenses", and then "Lasik" will unlock.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

smr posted:

If I ever hit the lottery, I'm buying Norm Kroger away from the horrible scumbags that run Stormfront Studios and plopping him at a desk, highly paid, until he puts out modern, updated, but otherwise just as groggy versions of both Wargame Construction Kits because nothing except maybe TOAW has come as close to giving you like an entire era of conflict in one box. Goddamn, those games were amazingly fun.

Putting in an early request for Age of Rifles to be done first.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
The Theatre of War games end up being more RTS-clicky and not Close-Combat-style tactical-clicky, correct? They're on sale on Steam this week.

(Matrix: :argh: "Those meddling kids!")

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Shenandoah Battle of the Bulge on ipad and iphone is pretty good single-player and would be my no.1 recommendation for a casual commute wargame. Moscow is strictly MP though.

John Tiller has panzer campaigns on android now - for free. They're a bit unintuitive, but free!

Some are free, some are $2.99 - there's also Civil War Battles and Modern Air Power. (Battle of Shiloh is $2.99, MAP and the basic CWB are free.) Link

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
The pricey Matricx SPWAW should be the General's Edition, with the Megacampaigns; the MCs differ from normal pre-built or generated campaigns in some manner, can't remember details at this time. (And from behind the Nannywall, I can't easily google around to research.)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Zaodai posted:

It's Matrix, what do you expect them to use for storage and file movement?

Ziploc baggies and cardboard chits?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

ElBrak posted:

Well it does have a LOS checker, you just select attack and check your LOS using the ruler that pops up. You can also check terrain height by holding down alt i think i running the mouse pointer over things.

Yuuuup. It's always fun to park a tank/TD/AT gun somewhere with *just* enough LOS to whack whatever the AI decides to send trundling along, before it can unmask its turret or whatever. :getin:

Doing it with infantry squads or weapons-teams isn't quite as effective, if only because the LOS is calculated from the dude in the middle, and the rest of the guys will deploy... "interestingly", depending on the available cover. Not to mention infantry is a lot more susceptible to independent movement, as far as I've seen. (Usually retrograde, but it's hilarious to be busy micromanaging watching the slaughter elsewhere, and suddenly hearing an URRRRRAH! as your sniper makes a bayonet charge :black101:. Sometimes against something he can kill, even. :v:

"I VILL KILL TANK! :argh:" <charge>

"OH poo poo TANK! :aaa:" <retreat>

"TANK MUST BE DESTROYED! :argh:" <recovers morale/berserk>

"OH poo poo TANK! :aaa:" <retreat>

GOTO 10

I've actually lost expensive units because I was too busy watching Ping-Pong Petrovic assaulting immobilised armor and running. (I didn't know couting coup was a Cossack tradition too.) It's not like he was going to be able to take that victory location anyway...

(Original CC3, by the way.)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

Combat Mission: Touch is currently on sale for $0.99. I don't know whether it's any good, but $1 is impulse territory for me.

It's pretty fun - only played single-player (because I'm antisocial :v:) but even on my aged and underpowered Nook Color it ran fine.

There's one or two (maybe more, now) DLC battles for it, as well.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

vyshka posted:

In the continuing evolution of Matrix's relationship to Steam, Distant Worlds: Universe is going to be released there on May 23rd. $59.99 includes everything released so far. $49.99 preorder price, with that price being continued for some period of time at Matrix store post release. $10 off for each installment already owned through Matrix. Steam keys will be provided.

And to make it definitely a grog post, I just read that Close Combat: Gateway to Caen will be released next month on Steam as well.

That's less a grog post than a "better upgrade our overhead cover because flying pigs drop heavier loads than pigeons".

:toot:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

War in the Pacific Admirals Edition is the weekly deal at matrix. 40 bux for the download is as sane as you'll ever see from matrix, probably.

Arrrrgh. I may have to bite on this one, even though I'm not really into boat wars/High Strategy.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Nenonen posted:

You know what I hate about Matrix store? "EUR 9.99+tax"

Is it really too much to ask to include the VAT in the price so I know how much it costs without having to go to checkout? :argh:

But then Matrix's web monkeys would have to create an entire new table containing price + VAT, and that's as difficult as taking Stalingrad with only a Cub Scout pack and three sporks.
_________/
:matrixsay:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Its been pointed out to them before (by me at least), and that's the excuse they use.

Yuuuuup, and that's why I said it.

Because it's pants-on-head land-war-in-Asia stupid.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

John Tiller has a Falklands game, a SCW game, a Tsushima game and a few other rarer conflicts.

There's also an old, old game called Age of Rifles that must have had at least a thousand 19th century scenarios made for it - Taiping Rebellion, Bolivar, 1871, Paris Commune, the Mexican American War, the Zulu Wars etc - if you can get it up and running in Dosbox.

Yup. There's also a Zulu War game/games floating around out there for PC - I have one on my home PC, but only played a few turns as I'd set both sides AI and it was locking up :v: . Can't find anything that sounds familiar on quick search, have to see what it's called when I get home.

Also, AoR would be *awesome* if they updated it for Windows. Even better if they prettied/pimped it up some. Best if all that, and still had the option to run original-version custom scenarios :getin:.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A King Tiger tank in June 1941? What is this amateur hour?

Well, you gotta be able to keep up with your Me-262 production, after all. Can't let Goering have all the cool toys...

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Nenonen posted:

1) Steel Panthers games (free) let you play anything from WW2 and later. SPWW2 comes with scenarios Khalkhyn Gol 1939, a Japanese-Vichy battle 1940, a bunch of Japan vs. USA/Commonwealth battles, a China 1937 campaign playable as Japan and two Pacific War campaigns playable as US, plus of course an unlimited number of generated battles and campaigns. SPWAW also has a few Manchuria 1945 scenarios.

2) Age of Rifles has a Russo-Japanese War 1905 campaign, and you also have some Japanese units in the Boxer rebellion I think.

I was going to reply to WiiFitForWindows8 with SP and Distant Guns (from Storm Eagle Studios, boat war focusing on Tsushima) but then I saw "strategy", and, uh, I suck at strat so I usually avoid them...

IIRC there were WWI-era scenarios done up for SPWAW, but I don't know that any were done in/near the Pacific. (Fan-made, that is, not official.)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Scroll bars cost extra. :colbert:

Hey, they already typed it all out once, do you know how much they'd lose having to type it out again in HTML? :bahgawd:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
War Plane Orange is :10bux: - yea or nay? (I already own, but haven't installed :v: WITPAE.) I'm interested in the time-period and hardware, however.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

^^^ Yeah, came out today

I wonder if that's a mistake? It's 80% off on Steam now, but they already had it on 40% off this week and it it now 40% off on their own site - did they double up the discount? Seems weird they'd have it on sale for several days then put it on a larger sale, that just screws people who bought it at 40% off.

Welp, I pulled the Steam trigger, so we'll see if they try to walk it back or something.

War Plan Orange I can pick up a little later, Matrix's sale is through 11 Jan.

Edit: Argh, maybe I can skip WPO - I was confusing it with the Avalanche Press non-computer Great War At Sea series...

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 26, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SubG posted:

What's the most recent version? I just downloaded the thing straight from Matrix last weekend, and the auto update thing just throws an error.

Well, it updates on a realtime basis, using the actual upgrading/improvement times of the War in the Pacific as the baseline, so long 'bout 1944 2017 you should be pretty set.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The Angola vs South Africa expac looked so interesting I picked it up with the base game for ~ $7 total.

Which game?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

uPen posted:

No it's not. Let's say a game has 200 turns in it, 2 minutes of processing is over 6 hours of staring at loading screens.

And how much time is actually being spent per turn doing, y'know, the "playing" thing? If it's 30 seconds per, yeah, 2 minutes per is pretty steep; if it's a Grey Hunter day-by-day WitP, I expect it might not be as noticeable overall.

Unless you're going full grog and logging such details, of course. :rolldice:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
"Come, sub-intellects! Feast your pitiful minds on Table 87a, and weep for those who cannot grasp the glory of the charts!"

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Have there been any other good war/strategy game Let's Play with multiple players/threads to check out? I know there have been some Combat Mission ones, but anything else?

I seem to recall a few Civil War games with goons commanding each other - kinda want to say it was some Grey Hunter lunacy.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

TehKeen posted:

I miss the AVRE in A Bridge Too Far... :allears:

CC2: ABTF was great. "Oh, a couple squads of Germans want to hole up in that building?" <engineer tank arrives> *BWHAM* <entire building collapses> :black101:

Playing the other side was cool, too - I had multiple time where I managed to drop a mortar round into a British flamethrower tank (forget the designation, open-topped and IIRC hauling a trailer full of fuel) for :supaburn: action.

Although CC3: смерть немецкий was my entry into that series, and where I discovered that it was worth concentrating all fire onto the lone flamethrower guy, especially if he was still grouped with other troops. Also, to allow enemies to enter the factory before area-firing the explosive barrels.

Dammit, now I want to reinstall these and see if they still work on Win7. (Can't remember if I have any Matrix versions, or if they're all the original CDs.)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Tomn posted:

I have to admit, the idea of a squad-based tactical game with muskets interests me strangely, even if I have trouble thinking about how it'd work without becoming a shitshow of one kind or another.

Squad-based tactical Age of Rifles nnnnggghh :fap:

Now imagining a Combat Mission/Graviteam Tactics-type game able to handle poo poo like Rorke's Drift... :flashfap:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Drone posted:

I'd give it about a half hour.

There's just something about this niche hobby the brings out the jackboots.

A week late, but...

wehraboots

:smugbert:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Beaver disappear sounds like an important skill

Raccoon control :ninja:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If this genre can somehow get humor on it I'd consider it a win. And I don't mean obscure grog humor like armor thickness jokes. That's not actually funny.

You never played the Steel Panthers: World At War scenario that pitted a whole shitload of postwar/wehraboo-fapfodder equipment versus an enemy deserving of the best there was/could be...

MECHAGODZILLA

(I can't remember if it was an "official" scenario that came with the base game at some point, or if it was a straight-up 3rd-party download.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Riso posted:

They should introduce lifetime DND bans.

TenementFunster got trained out of TFR - IIRC he can't even see that the forum exists.