Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The link to the multiplayer spreadsheet is still broken :mad:

e: And that's a really good OP, I've always wanted to try combat mission but the price... :gonk:

uPen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, at he end of the last thread we had some interest in WITE Multiplayer games - These are the people who expressed Interest.

Jakse
Me!
Alchenar
uPen

So, I'm still up for a game, so anyone want to play me, I've not really played since the LP, and I don't mind which side I have!

What scenarios are you interested in or are you looking for a grand campaign? I think I could handle anything right now except another GC where I play the Soviets.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ArchangeI posted:

Just an fyi: indiegamestand has Achtung Panzer: Operation Star up for pay what you want for the next 4 days. I haven't played it, but I guess you can't really go wrong for the price of a coffee.

Just got this for $1, now to find out if I've been ripped off.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
After playing this for about 20 minutes I'm pretty sure I got exactly what I paid for.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

One really important thing I didn't see mentioned that I had to learn the hard way:

As the Soviets (and maybe Germans?) if you want more airbases you need to have an average of 6 or more air groups in your existing bases. It doesn't matter if you've got 2,000 air groups sitting in the national reserve waiting for a new base, the game only checks the number of groups actually deployed to bases and if that number is equal to or greater than an average of 6 per base you can get a new air base. This is really annoying because having 6 or more groups in every base can catastrophically overload a lot of your airbases causing them to suck up a shitload of trucks.

Davin Valkri posted:

Then if airbases are units already, why treat attacking them as a separate mission from attacking other units? Wouldn't it be easier to say "Bomb Unit, targeting this particular airbase unit"? Honest question. :confused:

Prioritizing destroying planes on the ground over disrupting ground formations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fat Samurai posted:

After reading both uPen's and Grey Hunter's LPs of WitE, I went and picked up Unity of Command, because I'm not hardcore enough for ToEs. I've discovered that I have an almost pathological fixation with avoiding casualties as much as possible. Throwing Russian pixel mens to their death in desperate battles to barely scratch the enemy seems bad.

I guess I'm not going to become a power mad dictator anytime soon. Hurrah, I guess?

If you're playing as the Germans this is the correct approach, inflict massive casualties while preserving the strength of your stronger formations as much as possible. If you're playing the Red Turn DLC it's the exact opposite. Throw away 4+ rifle steps to take 1 step off a panzer? SOLD.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jakse posted:

Buy this game and play with us. Our co-op game was hilarious but we beat the Polish AI, I swear!

I own this and case blue from that sale awhile back and I've sunk some time into the smaller scenarios but I understand basically nothing about this game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alchenar posted:

The basics all really fall into place - Action Points are both movement and fighting (like WitE). CV is an abstraction (like WitE) but more heavily modified by unit types and terrain. Supply travels down the line further by road and rail and is passed from HQ to HQ to units (like WitE).

Stacking is different - you can throw as many units into one space as you want, but they take exponentially increasing penalties for being crammed into too small a space. That's how I gobbled up Alchiki's XI Corps whole in the space of 4 days - I caught each division stacked up in marching order in single hexes when the stack limit is around 1 regiment per hex. Incidentally, what really mattered there was me managing to get that intact bridge over the river immediately. If that hadn't happened I'd have been stuck.

Combat is a little obtuse but there are some ways to eyeball it:

All things being equal, terrain is the most important modifier and needs to be looked at. Rivers reduce attacking power significantly. Tanks are terrible at attacking in towns and forests (yeah Alchiki, that's how a single infantry regiment held off your armoured division). And so on.

Some unit types are good against others and that's the usual.

Stationary units entrench over time. This basically gives them an HP bonus.

Morale determines how many hits a unit can take in combat before it starts to retreat - very low morale might mean a rout and massive casualties. This is important because units with low morale but with high readiness and well entrenched will fight well until they are forced out into the open, ie. the Belgians (nothing can make the Dutch fight well - sorry gradenko but that retreat toggle will do nothing for units with only 20 morale).

Readiness is the most important attribute by far though. Units with low readiness simply don't fight back.

It all makes sense if you've played other wargames, just need to learn how to gauge whether combats will work or not. Sunk some time into Case White as the Germans and I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. The combat system is very fun once you start to get a grasp on how it works.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alchenar posted:

When we finish this game (depends on whether Happy Hedonist is dead or just on holiday) we'll probably go back to Case White and mess with some variants, there's plenty of space for you.

These sound like a blast, are you guys doing 6 Germans vs the AI or 3 on 3 or what?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'd be interested in a case white game, we doing variants?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm still stunned that they haven't released a demo with one of the shorter scenarios like Road to Minsk yet. It would let people actually see the game in action before they sink $90 into it and maybe push a few of them over the edge into making that leap. (I'm not actually stunned, none of these companies want to make money.) That said I think WitE is the outlier here where it's actually simpler than it looks, if you gave someone the Guadalcanal scenario in WitP for instance there's no way that would secure a purchase.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Grey Hunter posted:

This is something that's been mentioned to them before, I think I heard its actually illegal, but they say its to much effort for their servers.

Their servers that only serve downloads for 48 hours after purchase so you need to email them to re-download your game after that, those servers? When I can go out and torrent a copy of the game I own faster than I can get it from the company I bought it from something has gone wrong.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ArchangeI posted:

I was going to joke that it lacked a Webring for the full experience.

Then I scrolled down.

A webring banner in the year of our lord 2013, now I've seen everything.

e: It's just a banner, the page it links to has been dead for years.

uPen fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 9, 2013

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You got a scenario in mind?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ElBrak posted:

Any scenario is fine, even the Grand Campaign. I mostly play the Soviets.

I'd be interested in playing as the Germans in a Grand Campaign if you're up for it, what patch are you running?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ElBrak posted:

Ya i'm still interested in playing you uPen, a Grand Campaign game would be fine.

Sent you an email.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I wasn't really going to get lost battles after getting burned on Don to the Danube (the scenarios are mostly pretty bad/cut off too early) but after looking over a few and reading an aar I think I'm going to be getting it this weekend too :(

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

A Jutland-dedicated game doesn't really look that much better:

(although I still prefer this to Stormeagle's Jutland / Distant Guns)

Grognard UI design - There's a button for it somewhere.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Traveller posted:

Eh, it looked like a straight translation of the board game last time I checked. Which I guess is fine, but I really wanted another tactical shooter like the previous two Space Hulk games.

I'm much more interested in the board game than another shooter. If they released another shooter game there's no way I'd get it but I'm definitely going to grab this if the price is right.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

What would be the best/cheapest way to jump into the newer WW2 West Front Combat Missions? Just Battle for Normandy?

I made this jump recently since Normandy is cheaper than Italy and I'm loving it. I've also developed a deep seated hatred of bocage which I think is the intent.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MrOnBicycle posted:

i5 3570k, 8GB RAM, HD5970. In other words, far more than should be needed for this. At lowest settings I get ~20-25 FPS depending on scenario. That's with me looking from one end to the other. It don't mind "bad" graphics, but bad fps sucks the joy out of stuff. Especially because moving around in CM games with the new engine start off kinda smooth and then becomes choppy as hell after a second.

That's very strange, I'm getting 60 FPS with everything maxed out at 1680x1050 with similiar specs.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gorilla Radio posted:

I have a couple of questions. 1. I have some extra money, so which is a better series, Dominions, Disciples, Age of Wonders or Heroes of Might and Magic? 2. In these series, which is the best game, or are they played better in chronological order? 3. Since these technically aren't "grognard" games, is there enough interest for a strategy mega-thread? I've already written an op section for turn-based games and could write one for real-time, unless someone else wants to.

I love Dominions but it is 100% a multiplayer game. You can technically play it singleplayer but the AI is so anemic you'll be running circles around it inside a week. For $15 it's a great buy if you're willing to play vs goons.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Neat trick for Unity of Command. After the enemy's turn comes back to you:

Press CTRL-H to enter History Mode

Click the "Back Action" button on the top bar (looks like a "<") to rewind by one action. Since it's the start of your turn, going back one action takes you to the final action of your enemy's turn

Press S to enter Supply Mode

You get to see your enemy's supply lines

Neat, I've always been annoyed that this isn't displayed in-game because it gives you all the information to figure out their supply map yourself you just have to spend 30 seconds counting hexes and figuring it out yourself.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Are there any first world war games out there (that are good)?

Commander: The Great War is excellent but it's more like a grand strategy panzer corps game then a grognard game that tracks every detail about everything.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I would consider buying it if there was a demo but I'm not going anywhere near that interface sight unseen for $20.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is it possible to have fun playing Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich? I'm interested in burning England to the ground but from everything I've seen this game looks impossible to play.

e: Does it really simulate minute by minute? :psyduck:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jakse posted:

Hey y'all, if you haven't checked out the Historicon stuff from Matrix it might be worth looking at.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3368547

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3368558

Mostly screenshots but there is some discussion. poo poo tons of things coming to iPad including Panzer Corps and Commander: the Great War. Civil War II, a new Forge of Freedom, and loving War in the West are all showcased.

WitW screenshots and a space race simulator, awesome.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Wargamer also let on that WITW is on-track to be released this year. Personally, I think I might actually finish a full campaign of that game, seeing as it only covers 2-3 years and the Allies are in a really good position, but without drowning the player in counters as in WITE's 1944 campaign. I mean, how the heck is the German player supposed to attack hexes with defensive CVs in the 90+ range?!

I just hope it's not $90. :smith:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Goddamn it :smith: I mean, Battlefront isn't that much better, but why can't they just hop on over to Steam or GOG or indie publishing like those guys that do it through the Humble Bundle site. Tomislav Uzelac should take a picture of his piles of Unity of Command money and mail it to these blockheads.

Pricing aside, a service that lets me download my game without emailing support would be nice.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alchenar posted:

It's quite clearly the same UI just reskinned (and in a way that superficially looks better, but has the same 'not actually giving the player crucial information' problems. Unless they've completely re-written the game engine I bet it still runs like junk too).

Also Brother against Brother looks literally like someone took the dev code for Forge of Freedom and did 5 minutes work on it, and Strategic Command 3 looks merely like 5 minutes of work has been done on it.

I'd complain that I know that Matrix will try to sell these games at £50 and I won't buy it at that price because they aren't worth it, but really I won't buy those games at any price because they look poo poo.

The only AGEOD game I own is Alea Jacta Est and if that clunkiness carries over into their other games I think it's going to be the only AGEOD game I own.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, is it just a computer adaptation of the tabletop or is it a grognard game from the ground up using the license? I think I'd personally prefer the former simply because it'd be a cheaper way to get into the hobby but still enjoy what everyone's raving about. But since it's GW we're talking about I'd bet it's the latter and those of us not willing to buy miniatures and compendiums can go gently caress ourselves.

There is a Space Hulk game coming out that is a straight port of the board game with some extra game modes but I would be really surprised if GW OK'd a digital version of 40k.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baloogan posted:

Go play call of duty okay thanks goodbye.

At least it's well designed and consistent.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baloogan posted:

Yes it is. If games of that sort scratch your videogame itch by all means go get some sick 360 headshots.

Yes there's no middle ground between having $90 games with absolute poo poo interfaces and appealing to the lowest common denominator. There have been a few wargames that have come out recently with well designed interfaces and reasonable price points (Unity of command and Battle of the Bulge on iOS come to mind) so it's a shame to see Matrix actively trying to avoid getting new customers by trying to milk what they have for all they've got.

Fintilgin posted:

I wonder if Strategic Command jumping ship made Battlefront sit up and take notice? They just announced they'd be coming into the 21st century and allowing ~*unlimited downloads*~ of your purchased titles, retroactive to January 2012... assuming you didn't already download one of them ten times (because then, presumably, you're a pirate? I dunno).

I could download games I own on matrix illegally faster that I can get them from the service I own them on. That's pathetic.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

WITP with that guy who has to run China, and the prospect of assigning a specific person for Japanese industry/production is shades of The Campaign in North Africa

See this could almost be fun. Imagine being the guy running the Japanese navy and having the industry guy, the China guy and the island garrison guy all screaming at you for all the things they need.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I already own case blue for some reason I cannot explain so I'm in. :woop:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alchenar posted:

German at War first impressions:

I made a post over at Matrix Games

Looks like a quality product, what are they charging?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GenericRX posted:

If you're starting another game of Warsaw to Paris I could take a minor role, I'm not very good.

Don't worry, none of us are.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If a matrix store ever opens near me I will buy all my games from there just so they make less money off it.

e:

quote:

iOS games often outsell PC versions by 10:1, he reported.

Of course this couldn't be because the iOS games cost 5x less than their pc counterparts.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'd be up for another Case white/yellow game if a second one starts up, maybe with more than a handful of divisions to my name this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

blackmongoose posted:

Ok, German Turn 1 done and file sent to dtkozl. Not much excitement, but I've already learned something new about the game - namely, I didn't realize that the reserve regiments carried the divisional artillery and so can be used for artillery attacks along with or instead of the artillery counters that exist.

This confused me for a while actually. I'm still getting used to this game so someone correct me if I'm wrong but:

These guys are reservists with the R in the center of the NATO symbol.

And that symbol (on the right regiment) is an A for artillery. It keeps the infantry NATO symbol because it's part of an infantry division but it's really an artillery regiment and the game uses that A to make them easier to spot.