Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Nice. I really enjoyed Panzer Corps but I only played the US Corps DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Picked up Tank Warfare: Tunisia 1943 (Graviteam). It's pretty awesome but I seem to have a playstyle that really messes up the enemy AI (as in other games too). The way I deploy troops or something.

The only campaign is Sidi Bouzid :cry:. Hopefully we get El Guettar or something soon so the US can get their actual tank destroyer and air support.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Squiggle posted:

This sounds extremely Soviet to me

"The Soviets cleared the minefield by going over it" - Guy Sajer

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

I know right, how can they even call themselves grogs when their games have an aesthetically pleasing map and unit icons??

Probably not a fair comparison, but I'd put Panzer Corps as having the best graphical art. Scales perfecty to large monitors too.

It's also got pretty good audio.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Any modern-ish games like Close Combat III: The Russian Front?

Basically where you role-play as a captain/major leading a single company thru the entire war with the unrealistic ability to buy/upgrade your own units instead of the game forcing them on you.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

The boxed version of the CC3 remake starts at $500.
https://www.amazon.com/Close-Combat-Cross-Iron-pc/dp/B000NPNO50

I ran the numbers in my head and decided to go with the $14.99 digital download instead on http://www.matrixgames.com.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Grog:
Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans Von Luck

Grunt:
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Can someone explain the difference in campaigns between the original CC2 and the remake?

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Original CC2 has smaller, tighter maps and a campaign structure that is actually worthwhile. The remake has a campaign map where you deploy the troops yourself instead of being a purely tactical exercise. I've always felt the strategic layer decreased the quality of CC, given it's a tactical game engine and especially in the case of 2, meant to evoke Operation Market Garden.

Thanks, sounds like the original is the way to go and I didn't like the campaign map aspects in any of the other recent CCs.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

I'm pretty pumped about the new Close Combat game, seems like it's the same style as Close Combat 3 where you follow a division, 1st Infantry, throughout the entire war.

It's Tunisia > Sicily > Normandy

Although I'd liked mainland Italy, the 1st Infantry was in England instead resting up. Also I'm guessing (hoping) the Ardennes gets added as an expansion as the 1st fought there as well.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Uh, yeah that's definitely a Russian sub going into harbor.

The only weird thing is why aren't there any sailors standing on deck on a sunny day when they're about to port.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Just picked up CC3: Cross of Iron on GOG.

The next Close Combat game has the same game-style where you follow a company through the entire war and (hopefully) can buy and sell units. Really looking forward to it.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

CC3 trip report...
Once I was able to set the resolution by guessing the tab order for the "ok" button in the cut-off settings UI, it looks really good on a modern monitor. One of those nice sprite games that just expands the canvas size at higher resolutions so you see more of the map at once.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Naganted posted:

That's kinda awesome, my main beef with the later Close Combat games is the maps getting too huge and scrolling all around is blaargh. One of the reasons CC3 is my favorite, maps are about the perfect size.

I found some posts about the GOG version and installing mods, now torn between making an attempt to rig up something that works or,....Wait a random amount of time hoping that someone streamlines the process and makes something specifically for the GOG version,...

I could also dig up my old CC3 disc and hope that it'll once again rise from the dead and install, but I can only imagine that that would bring up it's own weird set of strange acts performed to get it working with mods too.

I bought the GOG Cross of Iron version, which comes with an additional Grand Campaign spanning 1943-1944, geared towards the Axis (outnumbered). It has a nice manual and it seems like a ton of effort went into it, if that helps.

I don't get the Requisition Point system. Playing on the highest difficulty after finding the default way too easy, I can't win the first operation (Barbarossa) as the Soviets due to lack of reinforcements despite making succesful fighting withdrawals, as instructed, without taking any losses on the first two maps. If I fled the first two maps immediately instead without deploying any troops I have more points to spend on the third and final map
:thunk:

wide stance fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 26, 2018

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Popete posted:

I should probably give it another try then. It seemed insanely lopsided.

I was able to hold my own even against the tigers primarily because the AI wasn't very good at using them. Also if you shoot it enough times eventually something will break, typically the tracks and then it's game over. Position your guns in cross-fire so that their tanks are always facing their side to at least some of them.

I found the Panzer IIIs to be the most troublesome due to their numbers and being surprisingly durable. Also the stuka rape but that was rare.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The main criticism I've heard from Rising Sun was that Toland took everything he heard from the Japanese commanders and politicians he interviewed (IIRC the reason his book was so big was he was the first western academic to actually write based on their accounts) at face value without taking into account:

1. Everyone is trying to make themselves look good and their wartime rivials look like idiots.

2. Everyone deflecting blame from the emperor at all costs. Rising Sun reeeaallly leans in the whole "Poor Hirohito knew nothing of atrocities and was just misled and kept in the dark by evil ambitious military men", which by now we know was bullshit.

So I don't know for sure if his other works suffer from the same credulity problem, but after reading Rising Sun I'd be a bit wary.

Anecdotes from the losing side are notoriously unreliable. Not admitting to major personal mistakes, making your opponents seem hopelessly stronger, and throwing peers under the bus as you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

Alchenar posted:

All of the narratives felt authentic (apart from the wonder weapon guy), if blurred by time and unreliable narrators wanting to make themselves look good. But there's still some revelations; for example across both volumes the interviewer notes that there's only one soldier he speaks to who actually has the insight to admit that Germany was in the wrong and the German army was occupying France. If not literally factually accurate on events, I think you still get an authentic viewpoint into the German soldier's perspective from the book.

What really struck me was how so many of the accounts go 'the fight was going okay for a bit but then we got hit by a phosphorous airstrike and everyone burned to death'.

For me, the thing most fishy about D-Day through German Eyes were German grunts referring to the M4 as "Shermans" as quoted during the battle.

The name wasn't really a thing until postwar, let alone be on the tongue of enemy soldiers. Might be an editing/translation thing however.