Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What do you guys think of Field of Glory 2? I don't think there's a thread for it and it doesn't look too grognardy, but it seems pretty accurate in a lot of ways that games tend to get wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a non-tedious way in WitP to

haha

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

When's the next goon Combat Mission?

hell yeah, those are great

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
doesn't sound much like RingTW to me

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Re: Field of Glory 2

I can't seem to maintain any frontline cohesion. If I'm trying to defend a hill, as soon as I attack someone, they retreat and my unit follows them off the hill and gets swarmed. Am I supposed to just wait for them to attack me instead?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

So far my only complaints are:

1. Facing is a real bitch and I really haven’t figured out a good way to actually flank anyone, since really my horsemen appear to exist to chase my opponents horses (and vice versa) all over the loving map;

2. I really don’t agree with what they are calling rough terrain, particularly since it fucks up the cohesion of all heavy infantry including well trained legionaries;

3. I don’t really care for the “buying units” system in the campaign. I would much rather just have had a set group of units, maybe with set reinforcements, that improve with experience;

4. I don’t get what causes cohesion checks. I should probably read the manual.

1. This is accurate for the time period, assuming you're playing classical armies. Cavalry seems like it's not worth it if that's all they do, but you also don't want the enemy to have the cavalry advantage and actually be able to use them.

2. Yeah, it's really hard to get a visual idea of where to place my army when certain tiles are unexpectedly rough.

3. Haven't done a campaign yet.

4. Yeah, it's in the manual. 10% shooting casualties in a turn, losing melee, seeing allies break or a general die, or falling back from non-lights. You get modifiers for troop quality (and type-- heavy foot gets a bonus), generals, casualties, and some other things like flanking and what troop type caused the damage. You also get more negative modifiers the more broken you already are.

Overall I'm having a lot of fun with the game. It's really neat to have so many armies to choose from and different approaches with the armies.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Kind of makes me :thunk: about everything I've ever heard about the differences between formations and training at the Battle of Cynoscephalae

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Saros posted:

Focus on making baby battle-cruisers at first (4x10'' 24/25kt armored cruisers) then once you can mount 10'' guns in secondaries make some wacky stuff like 4x12'' 10x10'' 21kt ships with 12'' armor and they should see you through till you get to build real Dreadnoughts.

I'm not nearly well-versed enough in naval history to know why that's wacky, but I keep seeing comments like this from RtW goons and was hoping I could get an explanation as to why certain things that seem to me like "a bunch of big guns on a metal ship, which is what a dreadnought or battleship is" seem obviously crazy and ahistorical to others.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Those are really good explanations, thanks.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Anyone recommend any grognard-adjacent games from the Steam sale?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Is FOG2 worth $20?

I think so, yes. The campaign mode isn't much, but the battles are fun and there's lots of replayability from the different factions.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What Civil War games are good? Looking to get more into the strategic scope after UGCW.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Vietnam 65 game is as much about maintaining and managing a logistics route as it is fighting the VC/NVA. I imagine the Afghanistan 11 game is similar.

In the Afghanistan game if you move a unit out of supply, do you get to spend a billion dollars to instantly keep it in supply, and then continue to do this every turn?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What is the scope of RTW? Are you just controlling the navy while the rest of the country is abstracted? Does territory change hands? How does a war end?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Fuligin posted:

This is cool, no doubt, but on the other hand, give UG: Borodino you fucks

Yes, I'd like that a lot. I feel like UG:CW made a lot of good improvements, and I was really excited about the campaign mode, but the way your army upgrades and the strength of the enemy armies in practice feels very arcade-like, which was disappointing. If they just stuck with great line battles of history I think I'd like that better.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I don't really have any knowledge of how games are made, but I feel like having to model the coastline of the entire world would be a problem.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What are the current "best" Graviteam games? Tunisia is the tank game and Mius Front is the tactical game? I don't feel like their website really explains what the games are all about very well.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I'm in my 30s and it's still a rare month that I end up with an extra $50.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Can someone explain to me how a "tank" that has to turn its entire chassis to aim performed so well against turreted tanks?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Why do so many grog developers not seem to understand basic things about business and markets? Like, if you have something to sell and it costs zero dollars to make more copies of, you should be focused on selling to as many people as possible.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
That game seems like it could be pretty addictive. I'm guessing you don't start out with pawning your guitar to pay the light bill.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Baloogan: In terms of comprehensibility he has no equal in the world of somethingawful.com forums.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
computer-- add druid face

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
One guy's job is to drop notices of eminent domain from the back every half-mile or so.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Can someone sum up what TOAW is all about compared to games that look similar like Decisive Campaigns?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Cross-post from WITP thread, hope it's okay:

:siren: Thread hijack but related :siren:

Real life has taken some of our commanders away from Grey's Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg German team thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865550

If you aren't currently reading the threads, we would be happy to assign you a platoon!

We are currently defending two towns from the Americans during the Battle of the Bulge and it's been a great LP so far with lots of explosions and hapless goon troops running into MG fire.

Come share in our general Teutonic vigor and such and save the Fatherland from nations who haven't hosed their whole country up with immensely stupid decisions and lunatic ideology!

Make cool banners like these:

Join in our Sherman-killing contest! I'm leading with like 4 or 5 or something but I'm sure a go-getter can surpass that quickly!

Goat mittens!

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Wow, never thought I'd be praying for a youtube video to change to Grey's voice.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What do you call that accent? Pith helmet vocal fry?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Would someone mind summing up what you do most of the time in RtW when you aren't designing ships?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Mechanically though, what are you as the player actually doing? Can I send out my navies without a bunch of constant micromanaging of patrol routes and schedules and making sure everything is supplied like in WitP? Seems to be a lot of buttons everywhere.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

who the gently caress is screaming "release wargames on steam" at my house.

I am soartacus

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
"we can't afford UI because hardly anyone buys our games! what, why would we want to sell our games on steam??"

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Only grogs would take years to realize this.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

So, on Turn 1 of DC: Barbarossa, the game asks you to assign Theater Artillery Support, via the cards system.

I play one, and it says that it'll take 4 days to set-up, which should be Turn 2.

Does that mean that I don't get that Theater Artillery Support bonus on the first turn, no matter what? Is that normal?

Seems that way, yes, because it's only the next turn that the card says it's providing artillery support to a particular unit.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the best anti-cap heavy fighter?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Atlantic Fleet?

I thought this was a neat game in a lot of ways but it was also disappointingly simple and repetitive.

Angry Birds: Ships

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I've never played an AGEOD game. Which of them are "good"?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Games › Grognard Games Megathread - Graphics? Did you mean graphs?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
multiplayer has been designed for use with lotus notes, but generally works with microsoft outlook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Whoa, when does the game actually come out?