Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there a game that lets me basically play Sim City with an army until I have juuuust the right artillery:infantry ratio and the perfect supply truck setup, then hit the big red "Conquer some fools" button? I hoped HoI3 would be this with research specialization and making a whole army from brigades up but I've been trying to get into it for days now and it's just not fun at all. My gaming budget is roughly €50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've since learned that even people who have heard Steam's siren song and survived still aren't always swayed.
The last time I touched an economics textbook was in the Dutch equivalent of 9th Grade yet I'm still better at it than Rohrer here.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It has a Tiberian Dawn era Mammoth Tank in it, that makes it cool despite the Ponies.

Speaking of Mammoth Tanks and such, are there any decent grog games set in a fantasy/sci-fi place or at least somewhere other than the last two centuries?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is the CP AI for C:TGW broken?

After a few false starts I played a Balanced Entente game where I held all of Serbia except for a single tile, kept Belgium alive through a single garrison unit in Antwerp, counter-attacked immediately and took Strassburg in the west and Konigsberg in the east, held most of Russia's territory except Warsaw. After that, French ships hosed up the Austrian coastline and British ones did the same to the Germans between Calais and Antwerp, allowing Serbia to break out, had the German line on the western front collapse, resulting in all of Belgium getting pocketed, me pushing through Frankfurt and Stuttgard with little to no resistance, sent a few units north to evict the Hochseeflotte and south to take Trento and link up with the Serbians who just took Zagreb and Trieste. Italy jumped in and only two of their units saw combat because the central powers were collapsing faster than they could catch up.

At this point the eastern front, which had been mostly static up until then, collapsed and Russia also linked up with Serbia. Serbia took Vienna and France took Berlin. I sent most of Britain's units south and they ended up rolling over the Ottomans and conquering the Levant and Medina and were just about to split up after Aleppo with on half heading west into Anatolia and the other towards Iraq when the last surrender came in on CP turn 37. There were also a bunch of border guards between Russia and the Ottomans who did very little beyond looking at each other menacingly.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

SkySteak posted:

C:TGW trip report: Oh my god, Serbia is scaring me more than the actual Entente.
In my Entente game Serbia ended up linking up with France on one side and Russia on the other before Italy jumped in. And this is with the Austrian-Russian front consisting of a few reserves glaring at each other for the most part(until they got encircled by Serbia).

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How far into Armageddon do I have to be before it starts requiring tactics beyond hiring throngs of conscripts just for their Chimaera transports? I can buy heavy bolter teams for 400 or have a bunch of barely trained clowns for 75 and spend 90 to give them a taxi that comes with the same heavy bolter and more.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

dublish posted:

RPS had a bit about Battlefront and Steam today, and linked to this thread: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117381-sell-on-steam/

Eerily similar to Matrix/Slitherine's position a couple of years ago.
How are those guys still in business? Not just the anti steam stance but the "Steve" actively getting into forum slapfights thing.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

ImpulseDrive posted:

I guess I just learned a lesson. I purchased a game off of Battlefront.com, installed it, and attempted to activate it. The DRM failed. I contacted Battlefront looking for a solution, and get a canned response on how to fix it. The dumb rear end CSR didn't bother to read my ticket, because I clearly stated I'd already tried their work around before contacting them. Battlefront stopped responding after that. Now I'm out a decent amount of money for a game I can't even launch because of their piece of poo poo DRM. I'm not buying anything from them ever again, and I'll think twice about purchasing from similar companies unless their product's on Steam.

gently caress 'em.
The person responsible for handling tickets was too busy calling somebody in the same boat as you a liar on the forums to fix your stuff.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tomn posted:

Of course, the only responses to that were essentially:

- Are you a wargame developer? No? Then STFU.
- Yeah, but will it sell WitP? Obviously not, so no price reductions or Steam ever!
- Sure, but I tried to give away a grog game for free to all my friends once and nobody took the offer, obviously wargames can't do well in the wider market.

That last one bugs me particularly - for all that they pride themselves on being smarter than your average gamer, they seem to have trouble figuring out the problem with anecdotal evidence.
There was an even more hilarious one in the CM thread who tried to get 15 of his friends to play CM and only one bought it, which was, in his mind, evidence that Steam would have nothing to bring to CM because they'd "lose" 14 sold copies for every one they did sell.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

RPS released a list of "The 50 Best Strategy Games of All Time." I'm feeling fat and sassy that my client, Unity of Command, made the list at #22 - they even linked to my interview from back in the day of Ante Turadic about the game's AI!

What games are missing? Which ones shouldn't be on there or should be higher up?
Age of Empires, Command & Conquer, Red Alert. They put a bunch of management sims on there, there's no loving excuse for not mentioning them.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Was the "Steam Ban" from a game actually from Steam, or was it the developer?
I believe CS:GO has a thing where if you disconnect from a tournament match you aren't allowed to join a new game of that type for a while.

Also, isn't Rule the Waves releasing today?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I bought RtW, but there's no code anywhere in the email that I was sent, do I have to wait until somebody comes into their office and send me one manually?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I would settle for a tutorial video about what I'm supposed to do with all these barely labeled and unexplained checkboxes everywhere.

I started a small fleet game as 'murica, what are some sane values for my first load of ships?

e: after flailing around the interface for a bit I've come up with this "heavy cruiser": , how hard is this going to get pasted on it's first sortie?

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 11, 2015

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Aaaaand it turns out I can't actually save ship designs, not even computer generated ones.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I bumbled around a bit mor and only went broke 2 times until I got into a war with Italy, at which point I got in a fight with one of my cruisers against a destroyer of theirs, which immediately ran off and fled for the rest of the scenario. Now how do I get back to the monthly overview? Clicking on anything gives me a "the scenario is over!" message but doesn't give me back the main screen.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How do I stop all my merchants getting sunk everywhere/sinking some enemy ones? I set a bunch of cruisers to foreign service but all they seem to do is complain about there being no bases where they're going even though I've been pumping money into building up facilities in neutral ports everywhere.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What determines raider effectiveness? No matter how many cruisers I send out, I can't seem to kill anything anywhere while the enemy manages to keep making GBS threads up my home region even with half my fleet hanging out there.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

How exactly is my ship here getting 14 hits with 12 shells here?

Also what the gently caress did they use to make that thing, it ate 121 15" shells before going down(to a destroyer cooking off a turret)http://pastebin.com/FWq2sxP9 :staredog:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I finished my first game as the Brits on Small/Historical and it's a lot shorter than I expected. I made about three destroyers, one 500 ton one at the start to replace the terribad legacy ones, one mid game when I got double launchers and one late game for triple launchers and 5" cannons. I also designed only 5 CL/CA's in total, of which only 1 CA design got into battle(a 4x10" gun 6" armoured box with nothing else), the rest was ever increasingly large colony control boxes. For big ships, I made one pre-dread at the very start, two experimental semi dreads, a fast semi dread that got reclassed as a BC by the game and henceforth caused me to win all cruiser fights ever and one real modern battleship that never saw any action because fleet fights were exceptionally rare.

In fact, I only got one real battleship fight, which was my first BB, my two B's, 2 CA gun boxes and a gaggle of destroyers vs the first US BB, three B's and some of their destroyers. They crossed my T, I sailed through them, their line split and both halves moved in the opposite direction, I killed the two isolated B's and some destroyers, then moved around whacking random merchants and minesweepers because I couldn't find the rest of them.

Lastly, Small fleet size really seems to break coastal bombardment missions, I'm not sure what two destroyers with a single 3" each are supposed to do against an 11" shore battery.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Some more RTW questions:

What does "extended" armour do? Is it the armour that sticks out in front/behind the citadel? If so, does the game have a mechanism in place to stop me from completely ignoring it and making proto-AoN armoured everything?

Likewise, is there any benefit to slapping several feet of armour onto the conning tower? I noticed that most game designed ships don't go below 6" on it even on CL's but wikipedia says most ships at the time had it armoured the same way as the belt or even thinner.

The game says 2" armour will protect against shrapnel, does that mean that I should make everything not part of the belt/turrets/tower 2" until like 1920 when plunging fire actually becomes a thing and shell start having more than 1" downward penetration and ignore the game's recommendation to slap a 4.5" deck on a 1900 battleship?

Final question for now, small calibre guns, are they worth having? At the start my options are either <7" guns in single turrets all over the ship or a 2x2 9" or bigger main battery and a bunch of secondaries on everything between CL's and B's, should I embrace the pre-dread-ness or put the biggest guns I can have on everything?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Battleship engagement: the French fleet hides in shame! +50 VP for Britain
A British destroyer on a one-ship mission to blow up a 12" coastal battery in the middle of the night, during a storm, while being chased by the entire French fleet gets torpedoed on the way home! +1350 VP for France

I really think the penalty for declining fleet engagements repeatedly should be higher and there should a check to see if coastal bombardment missions are even possible.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I had my first fleet engagement on my Very Large game. My 20 B's and 2 BB's vs Germany's 6 B's. They proceed to sail away in the opposite direction while my ships fail to land a single shot on their moving in a straight line dead ahead rear end. Then my two BB's get torpedoed on the way home.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Expanding the yard every 12 months+throwing all development resources into big ship stuff led to me being able to lay down this monstrosity in 1906: Not even destroyers can run from me now!

Only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I haven't invented anti-torpedo bulges yet and already had one embarrassing incident with a 14200 ton battlecruiser getting sunk with a single torpedo by a seemingly dead 3100 ton light cruiser.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
drat it, as soon as the end game notification pops up, everything past the most recent save is wiped when the game closes :( RIP HMS Magnificent, a set of superfiring quad 16"' guns on both ends and broadsides of a dozen 12" secondaries, all +1 quality. Two months before the end she intercepted a 3100 ton Yank raider with 8 5" single turrets at point blank range during poo poo weather. She scored 17 hits in one turn and the return torpedo caused only a single pip of flotation damage.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I still have the roll20 map we used in the first red thunder goon vs goon game on my account somewhere, jukebox full of advance war/patriotic soviet songs and all :allears:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

pthighs posted:

You've uncovered a niche ripe for exploitation in the grognard genre: Gary Grigsby's Wartime Factory Manager

Each and every part entering/leaving your facility is tracked. Labor pool morale/disruption/shortages have an effect. Strategic bombing causes damage (though of course high level air raids are still OP). In a nod to DC:B, you deal with the personalities and demands of your various superiors.

All with graphics from the mid '90s and inscrutable UI.
Transport tycoon reskin, playing as the Train Nazi from DC:B.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Had to leave my work pc.

So you effectively make your program much more efficient and effective. Doing the "single program, multiple DLC" route also helps bring you to the 2010's and increases your marletability on online stores. Maybe even one headed by a company called Valve.

Hell, I wonder how many people own Graviteam Tactics on Steam. There has to be people who bought it who aren't grognards or heavily into that type of game that you could readily sell to.

Ye they'd rather claim otherwise, reveal no evidence of research and stay lodged in an outdated business model.
A while back there was a big topic on their forum about it and the answer was something along the lines of "I am a Business Owner, you aren't so gently caress you for trying to tell me what to do".

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
For me the game that Paradox needs to throw a budget and a UI designer at the most is Rule the Waves.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Banditu posted:

Alea Jacta Est
27DY3-R6IGW-AKFLN
Used this one

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Wait, so the final step of warship evolution after nuclear shaped charges and casaba howitzers is a big conventional rocket with knives on the sides with which to cut up enemy ships? :psyduck:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
For this hypothetical logistics simulator, how close to history would the battle results be? Would you allow a player, with the benefit of hindsight, to completely cut off an armour division of fuel just before they'd do something stupid that would cause them to lose all their vehicles so as to preserve all their tanks now sitting out the battle in the motor pool?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have spent about $30 on Combat Mission patches that shouldn't have cost anything anyway.

I am 100% done with Battlefront. I will not buy any of their games that I've been meaning to at this point because they're charging for patches. gently caress them and their lovely practices, DRM, and their poo poo users. Their horrendous performance that they refuse to fix, their archaic protection scheme that's a pain for legitimate users, and their price gouging has finally put me off forever.

Every time I play their games I have to play around their games. Oh, the engine limitation here means I can't do this. Remember to always do this in this specific, exacting manner since their AI is garbage! It's work to play but not in the rewarding sense that this genre is capable of producing. The fact that they're asking for money for the ability to have the AI peak corners or keep spacing is an insult as a customer.

The worst is that this is a niche game in a niche genre. This is the only loving way I can get this experience but gently caress me for thinking it could be reasonable or fun. I literally cannot enjoy these lovely games anymore despite continued trying.

[/loving meltdown]
"Or you could just take a second to realize that you haven't been running a successful grog game business for 20 years and people who have may be doing thing the way they do them because they understand the situation better than you." - paraphrasing an actual battlefront guy from a while back. I really need to dig out the screenshots I took of that thread, it was unreal.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
As somebody who was put off by dominions 3's price tag who then impulse bought cheap dominions 4 before discovering the game was a lot more interesting to read about than actually play it myself, I'm exactly the type of low intensity grog who would spend €30 on combat mission every time it's grey hunter LP o'clock if the game were actually sold at a sane price point. Speaking of, it's grey's SaI LP that led me to buy Rule the Waves at around that price too!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What's the word on the newest wh40k turn based game? RPS said it sucked but I've learned not to trust their opinions on anything.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Out of interest what do you find wrong with them?
They're not really "wrong" but in the past I've basically discovered that I have the opposite taste of the RPS staff when it comes to lesser known games. What they praise, I find boring, what I find fun, I then discover they panned it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Yooper posted:

I tried the Tiller demo and just couldn't do it. I can take Grigsby all day, but something about Tiller just drives me away.

Even after reading about the Winter War it's still amazing how poorly the Soviets did at first. It's hard to picture a more terrible poo poo show. It'd be hard to swing that into a game that offered either side an enjoyable time. How do you model that sort of incompetence?
Giving soviet units an option to make a really bad but very patriotic attack that will most likely get them slaughtered but gives you a bunch of political bownie points in Moscow that you need a certain # of every so often to not get purged?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Invader Zym posted:

In Land Doctrine you can research legs for your tanks.
GOTY 2017 right there.

What do tank legs actually do?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Gear Krieg, baby!

Not GK but four legs good, two legs bad.

I mean, what does it actually do in the game? I tried it out but it swiftly overwhelmed me with a lot of contextless words and icons that I couldn't make sense of.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Did Land Doctrine ever end up becoming something? I had a look at the demo, couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing and quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Does anybody know anything about Battle Empires 1914-1918? the idea of a WWI RTS has me intrigued but from what little internet presence it has it appears to be a Men of War mod with a price tag attached.