Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I installed CC:Bridge Too Far and ... it works just as good as it did 20 years ago even on a 64 bit system. It's actually kind of shocking. The game plays flawlessly and even the loving videos run fine. No tweaks, no fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Some guy in England did a full grand campaign LP and he said that the remake sucks.

Nenonen posted:

One benefit of having Microsoft as your publisher is that they probably know a thing or two about Windows...

I'd say it's more luck that they managed to pick something that still works down the years. Age of Empires 1 needed to be patched by someone before it was usable again

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Nenonen posted:

IIRC Rust got through unintercepted because there was an air force exercise going on and Soviet air controllers thought the blip on the radar was part of that.

Man, how lucky can a guy be?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Got graviteam tactics operation star and a bunch of DLC yesterday.

Ive played Steel Armor so I've seen some of the interface before but I'm still trying to get my head around it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anybody ever play Firefight? I saw it on RPS today and I'm intrigued by the idea of a Close Combat clone that actually isn't just Close Combat again.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Got a couple new games to be bad at. Command Northern Inferno and War in the Pacific.

Dangerous Waters certainly didn't prepare me for CNI. I've shot down 2 Bears , but hosed if I even know where.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Afghanistan '11 is really fun. Just wish it was cheaper but that's grog games.

It's hard too, and that's probably the point. I didn't realize healing troops required supply in the FOB. So I was in this death spiral where my PP (the game's currency) was constantly in the negative because of injured troops, I couldn't resupply because the chinooks kept getting shot at on the way over, and the Taliban just keep coming. It doesn't help that even special forces in general cannot defeat taliban militias and Apaches have a lot of trouble killing technicals.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So I should assume that Combat Mission never goes on sale?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I remember being way more interested in the crew management and health than the bombing and shooting in B17 Mighty 8th.

I guess I was waiting for Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld all along haha

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

stop making me want this I do not have $25 bux

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Do the changes end up in the regular game in CMANO?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's no reason why the gunner can't get off his rear end, load a shell, and then resume sitting to fire. It just means it takes a long time and grog games have solved that problem 10+ years ago :colbert:

What would an RL gunner have done in this case anyway? I would imagine either do what he can or hunker down and protect the gun if he's not about to be overrun.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So there's a scenario called Debt of Honor in the community pack.

I don't remember poo poo about the book since I read it 15 years ago in middle school. The scenario has the John Stennis battle group heading towards the Mariana Islands where about 120 F-15s are going to zerg rush you. It's kind of a stupid scenario tbh.

I pretty much just launched every plane I had. I traded pretty well but getting everyone back on deck without any tankers is dicey.

My question is, what do you with your planes in the middle of the ocean like this? Do I seriously just fly them at the enemy to intercept or is there a smarter, more strategic way to do this? I can't terrain mask obviously but would flying low help at all?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yooper posted:

Depends on the scenario design and radar coverage but you could have a small portion of your flight bait with live radars while the larger flight comes in at a better angle. If everyone has full radar coverage then it becomes trickier. You could try dropping the altitude to get beneath the horizon, but if the planes are all radar hot they'll see you and you'll have to gain altitude quick. I'd try to get them out of their radar coverage but in mine and try to sneak up on the flanks.

In this scenario there is an AWACS behind their wall of F15 spam. I have Prowlers to jam but I don’t know if those will work, I’ll check in the editor.

Might just try to bait the F15s into approaching my fleet and using the sam coverage to thin them out and taking advantage of their lower fuel load. They’re J variant so they might have A/G missiles on them, it wouldn’t make sense to launch dozens of them at the fleet if not.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I lost a landing gear. I was expecting a belly landing but I got a fireball and a dead bombardier.

Would an emergency landing preserve the plane?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I don’t even think it’s possible to have a parachute for everyone

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

If people didn't buy grog games because they're unintuitive messes we'd all be playing Civilization.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Caved and bought cold waters. It’s fun, but it is literally a clone of Red Storm Rising. A close without the 1990s start with Seawolves.

It’s also disappointingly easy. It’s like my decoys and noise makers always shake Soviet torpedos, but I only ever need to fire one torpedo per target, unless it’s a ship that I know will take two torpedo hits to sink.

Ughhh why won’t it go on sale?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Is Pike and Shot Campaigns any good? It’s on what’s become of Bundlestars now for 8 bucks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

AceRimmer posted:

Speaking of subs, is 688(I) Hunter/Killer worth the learning curve? It's been sitting in my Steam list for ages, ever since I got it in a bundle with Fleet Command.

It runs really good for a Windows 98 game.

As for the learning curve, I was able to play it decently when I was 8 years old. It's cool and good.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Popete posted:

Cold Waters does get pretty rote after a bit. I think I enjoy it as a good Grog Lite game and I want more games like that to come out.

I don't always have hours to spend relearning controls or looking up tutorials to play a game so the idea of games like Cold Waters and Bomber Crew are very appealing. Slick style and at least a passable interface.

They also whet your appetite for the actual grog games. I’ve been playing B17 Mighty 8th from 2000 again lately because of Bomber Crew.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

How is Ultimate General: Civil War now that the devs have essentially declared it feature-complete?

It is? What the hell

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Drone posted:

Is there any trick to getting CC1, CC2, and CC3 running on Windows 10? Last time I tried to install they just wouldn't launch at all.

They rereleased pretty much all of them no?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Battle of Britain 2, you can't go wrong with that one.

Anyone have a guide or LP for this? I impulse bought it after RPS mentioned it in a list and it was on sale for 5 bux. I don’t even know how to initiate combat in the campaign.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Really? Nothing for Cold Waters?

Fine, Ima just play Assassin's Creed. Which I paid more for.

The Cold Waters devs are taking the Rimworld approach, no discounts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Speaking of Cold Waters, is it worth 40 dollars?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Afghanistan 11 is a pretty decent game. If you liked Vietnam 65, they improved on the formula.

If you don't have Vietnam 65 and think you might like these games, it's a little less than 5 bucks. I'd give that a try and see if you like the logistics management gameplay. These games are mostly logistics at the end of the day, since you have to keep everyone supplied if they're not in a base. The FOBs themselves need supply too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Alchenar posted:

In this week's episode, Chump Farts learns about paratroopers and why you should garrison airfields.

What game is that?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

So I caved and got Cold Waters.

I was expecting to be disappointed with it as it seems too small of a game to be worth 40.

It's actually cool and good. Simple enough that I don't need to put in a ton of work to be decent unlike Sub Command, puts you right in the action unlike Silent Hunter, complex enough that I keep coming back for more.

I hit this boomer about midship. Normally most of my hits are killshots but she was so big and running shallow that she could surface kind of. Even though she was flooded aft and dragging that donk around like a tapewormed dog she was still going at 30 knots. It actually got away since it was still outrunning my torpedos and not enough of it was surfaced to let a Harpoon target it. I had to let it go.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

It’s fun and good.

The dlc just looks like tougher enemies, new landscape, and a couple new weapons to balance out the difficulty. I don’t even feel like buying it but i enjoyed the base game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

gently caress me. I bought it a couple weeks ago because it was supposed to never be discounted.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Phi230 posted:

Red Storm Rising is the inferior WW3 book.

Red Army, Chieftans, and Red Phoenix are the best.

The interaction between the Air Force guy and the Icelandic woman is pretty cringey as well. The other stuff was solid enough, but I hated that poo poo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

My favorite part of CMANO is ASW and submarine ops, so a whole DLC for it? :allears:

Now all I need is the Cold Waters patch and my year is complete.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Can’t wait for this.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

For people playing the Close Combat series for the first time be aware that from 4 onwards the AI starts getting weird. It may work or it may sit all its troops in one corner and never move. This is largely thought to be because when they moved to larger maps the ai was treating its corner as a whole map. Whether this explanation is true I don't know but I can confirm that the ai starts making GBS threads the bed in the later games. 2 and 3 are excellent and there are plenty of mods for 3.

Any mods you recommend?

I'm on Day 4 of the Close Combat 2 campaign as the Germans. Started out with ambush tactics and now I have tanks and mop the floor with the allies pretty much every map. :trumppop:

Funny thing came up. On Nijmegen city it's a dense urban environment with the allies confined to a little strip on the side of the map. Perfect for flamethrowers. The FT team makes some guys from the 82nd AB surrender, at about the end of the game this guy on the FT team named Hagler starts beating up a prisoner for no reason...who was also named Hagler.

Speaking of names, I remember way back in like 99 guarding someone with the last name of my crush in elementary school in the CC2 demo. Now I find some sniper has my HS crush's last name. I killed him on purpose, he was a sniper and therefore useless and squishy anyway.

Fake edit: Nice NITW avatar.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

What is it with the 1st Infantry Division? That's like the go-to if they're not doing airborne or Rangers.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

algebra testes posted:

Yeah the 4th and 9th had similar histories in they did North Africa -> Italy and then D-Day I think, so you get the same variety.
I'd always thought a different division would be more unique and interesting or whatever.

Speaking of Italy, I wouldn't mind more games there. It's kind of a blindspot and it's really strange. Even movies basically ignore it, even back to the 50s and 60s when you would think the significant Italian presence in American society would encourage coverage.

Most games might have a level or two and that's it. Sniper Elite 4 and Medal of Honor Breakthrough are the only shooters I can recall most of the game in Italy. As far as RTS, I'm drawing a blank.

I guess it's because it wasn't a tremendous Allied victory?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Also they ruined cc2

The gog version is the original good 90s version. Forget Last Stand Arnhem.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Man these scenarios are hard.

I also have a bug where the briefing doesn’t load and it pops up an IE download prompt for the briefing.

This makes me want to play more Cold Waters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty much this. They want AOE DE to be a Microsoft Store exclusive and then they want AOE4 to be Windows 10 and Microsoft Store exclusive. Reviews for AOE DE sit pretty low on the store because the game apparently has a CTD on startup.

This is a thing with Store exclusives isn’t it? Forza Horizon does the same poo poo. I have to do some kind of download in order to fix what I assume is the drm.

Windows 10 and the store seems so half assed.