Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The big issue with Close Combat is the commands. Going through that drop down menu every time in an RTS is bad. And the zoom is also awful.

But still, Close Combat 2 A Bridge Too Far is fantastic. From what I've heard, the new ones haven't changed much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CMx2 has occasional dynamic campaigns, but usually it's all pre-scripted boring scenarios. If you're looking for something close to Close Combat, CM isn't for you. They have demos though, so check them out before purchasing. There are demos of every CM game, so if you just want a couple scenarios you can have a bit of fun that way.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Tried to play To End All Wars.

Oh god that interface. It's somehow gotten worse.

If people had to suffer through that to conquer their neighbours, it really would end all wars.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The counters are really lovely looking though. Extremely nice and shiny.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

pixelbaron posted:

Is Ultimate General: Gettysburg any good/getting good? I keep looking at it and thinking about getting it but then I read peoples thoughts on it and they are usually disappointed in some way.

It's phenomenal for the price. It's a fantastic game made even better with the heightmaps and is very enjoyable. Great (enemy) AI, superb campaigns and beautiful aesthetic. Can be frustrating at times though due to how line of sight works.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Is War in the Pacific a good game for a completely inept moron (as the US) to play against an actually intelligent foe (as Japan)? I'm awful at these games, so my friend always beats me no matter what, so I'd like historical balance to be weighted heavily in my favour. From what I've heard, if the US doesn't screw up too badly it'll win. Or would we be better off playing War in the East?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Thanks everyone, I'll see about tricking my friend into playing WitP. We did try War in the East, but things went so badly for me that yes, I did lose Moscow just before mud started. If only it came a little sooner, maybe I'd ve been able to hold them off, but oh well. Pro tip: Don't do a hedgehog defense small enough so the enemies can just walk past it and encircle you. It only delays them a turn or two.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fangz posted:

Must Resist Urge To Mock

No, you can definitely mock me. After No Retreat! I really should've learned my lesson when it comes to the Eastern Front.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Riso posted:

Out of sharp glass that cuts you when you try and pick it up.

You can say that again. I've been messing around for the past two weeks trying to get a competent turn done. Boats are harder than people.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Any grognard games that let you do Japan? I don't really care for Shogun 2 but I always wanted to do strategy with Japan. War in the Pacific looks like it, but I was hoping WW1 period or earlier.

Most I can think of is Sengoku, Europa Universalis 4, Victoria 2 or Hearts of Iron (I think Darkest Days does WW1). Basically pretty much only Paradox games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Saros posted:

WITP but without many of the improvements

What kind of torture is that? Please tell me that at least has much less units.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It isn't pay to win. It's just bad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tomn posted:

So does anybody have any advice on how to conduct an offensive in Ultimate General: Gettysburg? I can just about manage to defend a position in good terrain (cycle units in and out, keep corps commander close enough to allow morale to recover, hurl in as many nearby people as possible any old how if a breakthrough seems imminent), and I've pulled off victories as the Union before, but every time I attempt an offensive it always seems to end the same way: with broken brigades reeling backwards and completely shorn of combat capability. Especially in the face of artillery.

I always keep a token force at the center, and rush one flank as the Union. I keep all my artillery on Oak Ridge and if you do enough damage early, drawing the enemy into range of your cannons, you can do enough damage to be able to take every victory point by the end of the first phase.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

So is Armageddon at least decent? Anyone bought it yet?

There are at least 10 different Leman Russ variants. Take that as you will.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Where from? I'm quite tempted to try it out myself. I've heard very good things, and at that price it's a bargain.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Does anyone here know if there are any particular issues with Silent Hunter 3 if played over a long period of time, or without time compression? I might have something crazy planned.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dMastri posted:

I remembered reading about a guy who did this awhile back (2005!), but can't locate the actual article on him or any relevant "let's play." I did find this thread that mentions it and notes that PC Gamer covered it in print.

So yeah, should be fine.

Oh yes, that's made my day. This will be fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Takanago posted:

I remember the guy who played that in real-time noted that the crew status degraded unusually fast. And he couldn't go to sleep without waking up to a bunch of warnings of really tired crew members.

So I'd recommend getting some kind of mod that tweaks how quickly you have to switch people out and get rest.

I'll just remove fatigue. There'll be other reasons for me to switch crew around.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you wanted to play Silent Hunter as a realtime waiting simulator why not just play Silent Hunter Online? :v:

Please, if I really wanted such pain I'd play the prettier game, Silent Hunter 5. Then again, it crashes too much.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, War in the East is ENTIRELY ground combat! What's it good at modeling if it can't do that properly?! :magical:

That's not true, technically War in the East models air! :eng101:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

but what are my light units good for?

Bugger all but scouting. They aren't the greatest, and I'm not sure if that's just the game or if that's due to the period.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Illegal Username posted:

I know this is a bit odd but anyone know of a grog/strategy game you can run on an android smartphone? I'm in the middle of a streak of long&boring night shifts.

There are many SNES emulators on Android, and the best game in the Pacific theater is there: P.T.O. 2. I play it mostly for the meetings, where you have to fight tooth and nail to secure your funding, plans for foreign policy and attack targets. It even models somewhat the potential for a military leader to become more influential than the president/prime minister. War in the Pacific PBEM can go to hell, two player local SNES wargames are where its at.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Panzeh posted:

PTO 2 has some neat things but when you play it a while you realize how the game kind of bursts at he seams. It's still fun, but the SNES version loads really slowly.

I had an Allied campaign in that game where I literally ran the Japanese out of army reserves as they teleported division after division into Iwo Jima to get wrecked by battleship/cruiser fleets. Battleships are mostly better than carriers because air attacks take massive casualties for some odd reason, and air attacks don't do anywhere near as much to troops as battleship bombardment. Battleships in the meanwhile can clear a four-division group on an island in less than a week.

Yes, but it's also a game where the Foreign Minister can gently caress over Japan by forcing everyone to not declare war in time for an attack on Pearl Harbour. I love internal power struggles and politics too much to care about small details like that. All games need that is basically what I'm saying.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Do the other games in the series feature the internal politics portion? Because P.T.O. 4 is in English and on the PS2, and that might fix some of the issues with the actual strategy portion of it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

So I saw that there's a Close Combat I never got to play. I always enjoyed the scale of those games (platoon level, maybe company). Is there a good turn-based WW2 squad or platoon level game out there that isn't Silent Storm?

Combat Mission doesn't have campaigns that hold a candle to Close Combat. You might want 101st Airborne, that game is an absolute classic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

101st looks exactly to be what I want. Any idea where I could find it?

You cannot secure it legally online unfortunately. Pointing you to it directly would be :filez: but its out there. Alternatively, you can always order it on Amazon or eBay, as I can't find a place to order it from the developer's website. If you're lucky they might have a second hand copy for sale nearby. But you can pre-order the upcoming 82nd Airborne game, that nobody has heard of since 2008 and is still taking in $54.95 pre-orders. :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

What are my best options to get my Caesar on?

Hegemony: Rome doesn't count (I have a love/hate thing going on with this series), and I'll probably require some convincing for Alea Iacta Est (eww, AGEOD).

Caeser 3 is probably the only other good one. That's not really grog though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Riso posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Slitherine Bundle!

Close Combat! Qvadriga! Rise of Prussia! and more!

This is unbelievable. I thought these companies didn't know how sales worked, let alone the humble freaking bundle. $10 for Close Combat is a steal, but with the other games I just feel bad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

Wow, a bundle was pretty unexpected. How's the CC game?

It isn't the best Close Combat, but its still pretty good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tias posted:

Anyone know of a good Stuka/Messerschmidt sim game that is not too difficult?

Battle of Britain 2 is superb, and has both a strategic level and a flight level.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

Not on fire => not dead.

quote:

It's life, but not as we know it.

There's Nazis on the starboard bow, scrape them off Jim.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Baloogan posted:

In this case (RTB when Winchester) its not a good idea, but one reason to do so could be stylistic.
Alternatively, if mousing over the term explained what it meant, it would solve both the accessibility issue whilst retaining the stylistic value.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Is Supreme Ruler Ultimate any good? It's on flash sale on Steam for $9, so I picked it up. Looks like a pretty light nation builder, which I usually enjoy.

I unified America with no negative repercussions at the game's start, and then marched my troops to Korea forcing both North and South Korea to ally against me. World domination by 1962. It's bad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ElBrak posted:

Dtkozl lent me his cdkey for RTW so i could play it while i wait to buy my own copy. I been playing it all night and I gotta say, fights between early battleships take forrrrever. You can't hit poo poo and when you do it doesn't do much. Torps are deadly as poo poo but very short range early on. I am on my second game as Russia and I managed to get into a war with Germany within a year. Good times.

I am extremely excited to gain the ability to purchase this game shortly, it seems like oh so much fun. Has anybody finished a full game yet, and how long did it/will it take?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mildly looking forward to playing the game has turned into being unable to wait for my ability to throw :10bux: at it. This looks and sounds amazing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Koesj posted:

If Paradox hadn't ruthlessly pulled the plug on East v West you could have been designing nuclear powered rocket cruisers to your heart's content :v:

We all know that it would suffer from the same thing Shadow President did: Everyone would just nuke Canada and stop playing the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

How would you simulate the fuckload of missiles Mobius/Blaze/Cipher gets in the game?

The ace pilot is actually 50 different planes. That explains the amount of firepower and survivability.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yooper posted:

What sort of new Grog stuff is coming down the pipe? I don't see much for previews anywhere. HOI4 is the only big one I'm aware of.

There's a new Close Combat and also a Pike and Shot expansion adding in campaigns.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'd assume he's working on a new game. We'll probably see an announcement sometime next year. Ultimate General Gettysburg is one of the few real time games that actually works well on iPad, whilst also being one of the most fun Civil War strategy games on PC, especially at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dtkozl posted:

There is a bug where the time compression keeps whatever weather you were at I think. You could have a month worth of stormy weather in sh4 it is a game with a lot of personality. (its a fat girl)

Even on real time the Silent Hunter games do week long storms. Don't think they expected people to do it, so it's understandable that they didn't balance the game for it.