Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Drone posted:

So I upgraded my PC to Windows 10 and I assume now that my two Battlefront installations (Black Sea and Fortress Italy) will no longer work because of their ridiculous DRM (haven't checked yet). What's the procedure for getting that sorted out?

The last time I had problems with their unconscionable DRM system, battlefront sent me a little .exe (which my AV thought was a virus, btw) that scraps out their poo poo so I can have a do-over of activating the games. It was annoying as hell, but the hardest part of the whole situation was resisting the urge to write a tirade about how much easier it would be if their game was on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Generation Internet posted:

Would there be any interest if I were to set up a participatory Black Sea LP in the near future? I've been messing around with the scenario designer and really want to see a joint Ukrainian/American force fight a Russian one.

Yessssssssss.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Promontory posted:

Any chance of Combat Mission: Black Sea having a sale? I don't know if Battlefront is one of those grog companies that doesn't believe in discounts.

Battlefront is the company that sells upgrades to the basic game engine on the logic that "it took work to do that upgrade so people should pay for that work." I wouldn't hold my breath for a sale as the best they'd do is $5 off if it ever happened, I think.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Graviteam Tactics seems really similar to the Combat Mission games, into which I have sunk hundreds of hours, but the abominable UI has always driven me off. Coincidentally, I decided to make a go at it again this weekend but I'm having to watch youtube tutorials because I can't tell what the icons are supposed to mean and mousing over every single thing on the screen for tooltips is tedious as hell.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dirt Worshipper posted:

...Tillers solo stuff, he really stopped caring about visuals.

I feel that this point is excessively understated.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

I'm sure. Turns out you only have a month to claim the coupon AND the coupon only lasts 30 days, so it seems weird they bother having it in two steps instead of just saying "here's your coupon."

Weird. I checked and I have an anniversary coupon in my list from May. Perhaps it won't work if I tried to use it, but it is listed.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It hurts so much that their go-to line is to lecture about supply and demand. I'd have so many more people to play with who would definitely buy the games if they just fixed the poo poo they claim isn't worth fixing because of their tiny user base.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've had problems with CM drm crap before and you just need to open a ticket with them to get a fix. They'll attach a tool to to the ticket for download which will remove the game key from their DRM on your system and then after that you can reuse your keys for the game. They usually respond pretty fast and once you have the tool thing it is pretty easy. It's just a shame that they still use this terrible system when there are obviously better options.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Obfuscation posted:

Afghanistan '11 is out now. I was going to instabuy it but turns out that it's three times as expensive as Vietnam 65 so maybe I'll wait for a sale instead.

Perhaps they had some prompt feedback because they tacked on a 10% sale for the first week. That brings it closer to the $19.99 I expected it to cost, so I grabbed it. Anyway, I sorta feel like I stole Vietnam '65 for the $5 or whatever I paid for it on sale considering what I got out of it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

fuf posted:

Anyone know what's going on here? It looks like there should be more options visible to the right and below but I can't resize the window.

I've read that deleting the command.ini file fixes it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

Has anybody else ever had issues with Steam not downloading new stuff from the CMANO workshop? I've tried changing download servers and verifying the game files but none of the new stuff I've subscribed to will download.

I am having trouble with this right now. The new updated community pack will not download no matter if I subscribe to the one that gets updated or the numbered release. I had to to to warfaresims site and download it manually.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

So, how bad an Idea would it be to buy Tunis '43, then LP it only having played the Tutorials?

AS the Americans of course, for that true historical flavour. I could have my own little Kassarine Pass.

Trust your instincts. Always LP everything.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Baloogan posted:

any thoughts on how to make command easier to learn / more approachable?

More scenarios of varied type and complexity that have good pre-planned missions as examples. I think this was one of the best things for me to learn; I could sit down and see how a well-planned set of patrols is set up and mimic it. As things went right or wrong in my imitation I learned a lot about why they're set up a certain way.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

If we part out every grog game that gets a burst of comments every couple months there will just be a bunch of different dead threads. The children of a dead earth has 2 whole pages after 7 months.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I haven't been able to change the realism settings in the pop-up at the start of a mission for a long time.

Have you fiddled with the settings that change game performance? Do any of those help?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

I just watched this lovely documentary about Western far right people who volunteered to fight for the Russians in the Ukraine. My reaction is I want to virtually kill them, so I'm thinking of doing something I swore I'd never do again... give Battlefront my money.

So please talk me out of into buying Black Sea.

I love the combat mission games and Black Sea is my favorite of them. If you've played others you know the pluses and minuses; there's a lot that's great about the games, but they have their quirks. Black Sea is a little different from the ww2 games because it's super deadly and tech changes the profile of combat a lot, but in an interesting way.

I found the charge for upgrading the game engine frustrating and their old-fashioned DRM and key system is annoying as poo poo, but if you can keep a game installed you don't really have to deal with it much after you buy it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The so many heinous UI decisions in the graviteam games add up to make it such a chore to decipher that I've never been able to solve it, and I have made an effort. Some of it is little stuff; take the Mius Front movement default orders icons: the arrows point in 7 different directions even though all represent variations of "advance." Three different icons are used to represent unit formations (triangles, little men, squares) and I cant' tell why. Why does the maneuver in attack icon point backwards? Is it some kind of retreat? The icons on page 20 of the manual might as well be hieroglyphs to me. It's very frustrating. The manual doesn't even use the convention I'm used to on bullet-pointed lists in two columns (down left column, down right column); instead read left to right across both columns.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'll try to be specific about some of my points of confusion straight out of the manual.

These are all commands to advance forward in different modes. An optimal design would use differences in the icons to give the user information. If the arrow points in a different direction, it ought to be because it's telling you something. Just having them point in different directions without meaning is noise. This one example is not the barrier to entry for me, I'm just saying it's representative of the issues that create challenges (for me) throughout, and those add up.

This chart is so unclear that it took me a long time to (I think) grasp. What I believe it is saying is the top 3 on the left are type of formation, the top 3 on the right are density of that formation, and the bottom 3 are a sub-setting of the "line" option. It's a very jumbled presentation.

This is so hard for me to decipher because neither the meaning of the elements nor the context between them is intuitive to me.

I own all the GT games and their DLCs because this is my kinda poo poo so I'll figure it out someday, but there really is something especially difficult about them.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

They should rename the moves crawl, walk, jog, sprint.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Phi230 posted:

The basic way to learn the game is just understanding what the orders do and how their behavior is modified. Then you have stuff like delay in orders as runners are simulated, communication whether it be flare/voice/telephone wire/or rarely radio, then managing your command capacity.

This game is about ordering men around. Your men have their own AI, and will execute orders on their own. This is not a game about micromanagement. An attack order is not to attack specific men, its to move to the objective in a behavior in a manner of attacking, that means staying low, moving slow, bounding when possible, dropping smoke, and engaging hostiles. You don't order an attack order right on top of enemy units.

It also boggles my mind how there is confusion in the simplest part: formation. You all really get confused about how many lines in a formation? The UI is simple. 1 line = 1 line. 2 lines = 2 lines. 3 lines = 3 lines. Then there's column, line, and free formation. If you don't know the difference between a column and a line I don't think you're in the right place.

1 line + column = singlefile walking

2 lines + column = classic 2 rank column

3 liens + column = 3 rank column

same for lines.

Don't get hung up on the squares because those literally only exist as a visual aid for cover and elevation/depression.

The most important tool in GT is line of sight tool.

Well, you're pretty willfully mis-reading my complaints to belittle them, which I don't think is especially productive. It's not an especially small group of people with complaints about the UI, and this is in a field of games renowned for ancient and challenging UIs. This is not a specious point that you can refute by saying I'm dumb.

I don't really care about the comparison to CM one way or another. They are more similar games than you're giving credit, but that's pretty irrelevant to why GT is hard to get into. The game doesn't do anything to accommodate learning it's totally unique (and bad) UI and the manual is a waste of time. The whole core of my complaint is precisely that it is hard to achieve an "understanding what the orders do and how their behavior is modified". If you could be constructive on that topic it would help, otherwise this is just a lot of wasted posts. I suspect it's hard to accomplish that otherwise there would be a helpful effortpost already.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I assure you that my problems are not caused by trying to play GT like CM. I get the different approach, really.

Phi230 posted:

In GT you group select with a click and drag, give a move-by-road order, and if anything is spotted with real time spotting along the way, they'll shoot back and defend themselves. If you give the "cancel order" modifier along with a backup order with shift clicking when adding an order, when they react to a contact they'll cancel the original move order and resort to the second order instead.

Yeah, that's my problem. I'd love to have this sort of thing explained.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Tetraptous posted:

Picked up Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm during the Steam summer sale and finally had the chance to start playing it this week. So far I've just done the tutorial and played "A Time to Dance" three times from the NATO side. I'm really digging the hex-based WEGO concept, but man is it hard. So far I've brought my score up from 40% to 50% on the scenario, mostly by ignoring the VP locations, since my forces trickle in and I don't have much time to get them anywhere good, and focusing on setting up good defensive positions to annihilate the incoming Soviet forces. I looked for some AARs but they either did as poorly as I did or used some gamey strategies to exploit foreknowledge for that particular scenario. I'm going to move on to other scenarios for the time being, but anyone have some pro-tips for the game in general? Is there something I should be doing to make my units more responsive, or is that just the nature of the game? The way I've been playing it, it seems like the initial orders given to any unit are by far the most important, since once they're engaged there's little opportunity to change them.

Initial orders are critical but also difficult as they have to be strongly supportive of your objectives but flexible enough to react to the enemy. It's hard to predict how things will unfold well enough to make good use of the initial opportunity to get everything moving usefully. I suppose mastery of the game will involve grasping the briefing intel enough to predict the enemy moves while looking at the timing of where your units get on orders to try to coordinate orders so that units mutually support one-another from good positions for the objectives at hand. I do not have mastery of this game, though I love it, so I start scenarios against the AI and then restart with a feel of the timing. Some will think that's too cheesy but the AI is dynamic enough that it doesn't bother me because units don't do the same thing from game to game and it's hard to "test" orders to see how long it will take to execute and where your units end up without using up command opportunities. Against human players this isn't necessary because they screw up timing about as much as you will as even skill levels. As you play you'll also get a sense of unit capability; information that you theoretically have at the start, but it's very hard to make sense of the abstract numbers until you have some situational context through play.

A short list of tips, keeping in mind I'm not great at this game: artillery is super powerful so maximize your recon to bring on and off-map artillery and support to bear; the game usually rewards boldness on the attack; HQs are critical so protect your own and target the enemy's.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, you have to start a ticket with support who will attach a tool to fix it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Why just today I was reading...

Having improved campaign ergonomy, if Graviteam could now just admit defeat with their quirky, homespun GUIs, and introduce an order issuing system akin to the one used so successfully in the Close Combats and the Combat Missions, they might finally start seeing the popularity that their deep realism, brilliant ballistics, and longstanding commitment to dynamic campaigns, has always deserved.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Xenolalia posted:

Would any of yall be interested in a goon CM Italy mission perhaps?

As a let's play kinda thing? I'd be into that.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Obfuscation posted:

Toaw barely works for WW1, stuff even earlier than that is not realistic or fun in the least

Even for the new one coming out? I haven't read any beta test stuff.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

SA_Avenger posted:

Does Battelfront ever put their games on sales? Would like to convince a friend to buy some Combat Mission to play with me but the starting price is kinda daunting (well grog game)

Yes, but I've never seen better than $10 off single games, or similar discounts for buying bundled expansions.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Popete posted:

No one is claiming it's easy. The kind of companies that are making niche Grog games generally aren't as tightly run as a AAA developer who can throw resources into polishing a game and flesh out features with lots of play testing. So you end up with really cool and unique games like Nantucket which is %80 of what you want but it could have really used some extensive play testing to clean up combat and get rid of the insta-death options among other annoyances as well as expand on some of the concepts. But that all requires time and money that small studio doesn't have and no large studio is gonna dump money into a whale hunting simulator.

It's the classic Grog game dilemma.

Nantucket is still a pretty well realized game for an especially tiny operation. It's just 1 artist, 1 designer, 1 programmer, and I'm not even sure anyone is working on it full-time. I'm not really disagreeing with you, but expressing how impressed I am with what they have done. I try to appreciate how tough the task is for grog devs have, but it can be really frustrating for a variety of reasons on the consumer end. It's especially hard with devs that are stubborn about obvious issues, or combative with feedback; fundamentally my time and money aren't worth less when I have to decide between their games vs everything else in the world even if I understand why they can't match the same standard. As you say, a dilemma and kinda on both ends.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Is the Sengoku sequel to Pike&Shot good? I liked Pike&Shot and Shogun Total War

If you liked Pike & Shot, then you will like Sengoku Jidai, yeah. It's a good value on the current sale for sure.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dimitris posted:

Feedback on them appears quite positive so far: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4436935

I'm really disappointed by the lack of irrational screeds.

Looking forward to playing TSS this weekend!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You say competition, but I'm basically 100% going to buy both as soon as possible.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Battlefront posted an update to go along with the SF2 demo release. I love how they talk about having to get all components, base game and expansions, out simultaneously so they can offer bundle discounts as though a sale of individual components is deterministically impossible. Anyway, the gist is that Shock Force 2, the unit modules, and the Semper Fi! campaign should be out in early/mid November and British and NATO campaigns will be released later.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

pthighs posted:

That was it, thanks!

It took me a long time to figure out that I needed to tell my TOW HMMWVs in CM:BS to open up to get them to shoot their missiles at anything.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

MrYenko posted:

CMANO runs like absolute rear end at 4K resolution.

Isn't there some trick to fix this? I don't have 4k but I remember reading something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

"Seriously... let's see a show of hands from all the "Battlefront is being stupid and short sighted" posters on this thread."
-Battlefront.com
Administrator