Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
After years of playing Civilization games, I want to start playing things with more... well, war.

I'm interested in Eastern Europe/Russia and Asia mostly, what would be a good game to start out with? I'm not scared of hexes and NATO symbols, but most of these games that I've tried (well, all I've tried really is War in the East on a friend's computer) are so inaccessible for people not familiar with the genre. Granted, I didn't have the manual with me to read, so that may be my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Riso posted:

UOC base starts at Case Blue, Red Turn at Operation Uranus, and they are working on a new expansion for Barbarossa.

The game is very user friendly, and the most complex thing you have to deal with is supply.

Looks right up my alley.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Are there any good & free PBEM grog games? I love them, but can't shell out like $80 for a game :(

I just want to play War in the East, why does it have to be so expensive :argh:

Then again, I know I'm not telling you guys anything you don't already know.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I feel like I've got the hang of WinSPMBT if anyone wants to get a PBEM game going.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gimmick Account posted:

Wait, what? How does that even work?

It's basically an imaginary tea party for grownups, except your guests are Hitler, Stalin, and Hirohito.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If I wanted to get into tabletop grogging, what would be the best gateway drug?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Tabletop miniatures or Board Game Wargaming?

Board Game Wargaming - and I actually just found your wargaming thread so nevermind!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is C:TGW ever coming back to steam? :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm looking at PC versions of board games, and one that jumps out is the Conflict of Heroes series, particularly Awakening the Bear. Has anyone tried that, is it worth the money?

One of these days I'll find just the right hex-and-counter PC game that's also pretty and has a good tutorial.

My holy grail grog.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

axelord posted:

Anyone play Hannibal: Rome and Carthage ? Is it worth a pick up with the sale this week?

Ugh the graphics hurt my eyes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Alikchi posted:

Yeah, it's a really great game and very replayable. One side, no multiplayer, and I keep coming back to it every few months.

Ehhhhh for $10 why not. I won't be totally shattered if it's not as good as I hope.

Thanks though, I am excited to try it out!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dammit_Carl! posted:

For the few people left who don't own it, Unity of Command plus the two additional DLCs are up for sale at Gamersgate at what seems to be a reasonable price:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-UOCTB/unity-of-command-trilogy-bundle

Sweet!

I played the first stage of the campaign (Army Group North) and it really feels like a board game, which I'm okay with. I've been looking for a super-polished, board-gamey grog game, and I think this fits into the bill of light fun.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is there anything that would be considered a "must have" in the list?

Or would CTGW be better than any of that?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baloogan posted:

WITP is like a simpler WITPAE.

Which is better, WitP or WitE?

Will WitP run on Windows 8?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
CTGW and Flashpoint: RS purchased... wooo I can't wait to get into these.

edit -- UGH I BOUGHT F:RS 2 hours ago for $29 on Steam, and then I just checked now and it's $9 on Steam. UGH.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 26, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Having gotten CtGW, UoC, Flashpoint RS and Hannibal... All are pretty great and this feels like the best possible grog intro pack :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Drone posted:

Just ran through the tutorial mission of FC:RS and got my rear end handed to me. My only real experience informing my actions was spending an hour or so of watching some guy play through the Pied Piper scenario on Youtube, which helped a bit, but I guess I really should have followed the grognard gamer golden rule: "read the loving manual."

I stationed my Challengers on that elevation 3 hill just west-northwest of Nordheim and they had some pretty good initial success sniping off T-80s as they got stuck in my tank traps just across the river, but there are just too many of them to take out and they ended up plowing through the infantry I had stationed in the town on both sides of the bridge.

When you start the game click on "tutorial manual" and it literally walks you through how to beat it and what the best general strategy is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Riso posted:

War in the West stream right now https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinegroup
I'm actually really liking the look of this.

What's the release date?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mori posted:

It's today, apparently. I've heard midday EST.

Oh wow, didn't know it was that soon. Ugh, I'm not going to have anything close to enough free money right now to get it :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

gazza posted:

Also: Schwerpunkt, developer of neat boardgame style wargames with tons of scenarios, just released WWII in Europe. 50 bux for all of Europe and North Africa, with crazy optional rules like Spain and Turkey joining the war and 100 scenarios. Probably going to get that instead.

These look pretty cool but man is their website (and game UIs) ugly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

When did they announce that? I don't remember seeing any of their Dev Diaries mention it. I really liked using counters too... :eng99:

Apparently using counters used more system resources than sprites, so that was part of their argument for nixing them :downs:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

I will only be satisfied when Paradox has the technology to represent your stack getting knocked over as you try to reach across it and arguments over which hex that one dude in the Black Sea came from.

I go to click and drag my units, and the corner accidentally catches another and ends up randomly shifting all the units in a 4-hex circle.

Come on Paradox I need reality in my games.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

1stGear posted:

EDIT: Speaking of decent entry points into grog games, RPS did an article on that very topic today.

This got me to finally buy/try out Panzer Corps, and it's pretty great.

Soooo many DLCs though holy crap :stare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Riso posted:

You should see how many Crusader Kings II has.

Oh I do see how many... and my credit card has seen how many... :negative:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is there anything that's like a stepping stone between the light, basically-a-puzzle, style of Unity of Command or Panzer Corps, and the heavy huge over-arching strategy of WitE/W/P?

I have Commander The Great War, but I'm looking for something a little more groggy than that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Dang that's perfect everybody, thanks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I think part of the reason I feel so lost in some of these games is that I don't really have a good grasp of the real history of them. Like... Case Blue, Case Yellow, Barbarossa, the Blitzkrieg, etc... I only know about these operations because of grog games, and I think it'd help both my enjoyment and my understanding more if I actually knew the histories.

That said... is there a good basic beginner's overview of all this business? I know that's a huge can of worms, and this may not be the best place for a book recommendation.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Korsun Pocket

I've been playing this today and it's a really good simulation of board wargaming in my opinion.

Between this and DC:Case Blue (I got this instead of DC:Blitzkrieg since it was newer) I think I'll be set for a while.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
So wait - you're using a Tiller game with a mod to recreate a campaign from a FPC game? I'm confused. Whatever it is looks cool though

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Koesj posted:

You ought to be! I'm trying to see whether or not these vastly different systems provide roughly the same outcomes. I can't stand the larger scenarios against the AI in FPC, so playing it out in a limited system like Operational Campaigns should provide 'a' 'fun' 'exercise'.

Makes sense now, just wanted to make sure I was understanding :)

Are all the Tiller games similar, or are they vastly different a la the Grigsby games? Is there any Tiller game that's highly recommended?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also a quick WITP question. I picked up the Admiral's Edition, and... War in the East is one thing, but this is a whole other beast. A beast with no in-game or PDF tutorial, and a 300 page manual.

Where on Earth do I start? How did others here learn it? I've read that the tutorial didn't make it to the AE (at least the download version), but may be included with the original game. Are the two different enough to matter, or would someone have a copy of the tutorial PDF??

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wrote a tutorial for War in the Pacific: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=17472

Bless your heart.

edit-- went through it and the Buccaneer scenario is really great for learning. Managed to capture Port Blair, but am dead tired and need to call it a night. I'm looking forward to running through it again on my own to see if I'm retaining everything in that. I can see what you would mean about the full campaign being just that but more.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 14, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
WITP people - what should I keep in mind when designing TFs? So far I've just been kind of arbitrarily assigning ships to groups based on what I feel their job should be (BB/DD in bombardment, CV/CVEs in air support, etc). But I'm sure there's a better way to do it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Alchenar posted:

TF's travel at the speed of the slowest ship in combat, so keep fast ships together. This means that there's a limited subset of ships that should be actually in a TF with a CV.

That I do understand, but I mean like - how do people think "I need 4 CVs, 2 CVEs, 2 DDs for this TF", like what is the criteria for composition? Or is it just trial and error?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MrYenko posted:

Has anyone with WitP:AE encountered horrendously unplayable interface slowdowns when actually in the map? In the settings pages, scenario selection, etc, its fine, but the moment the actual game loads, any kind of click or keypress is followed by generally more than a second of lag until something happens. I've tried several command line switches to try to rectify it, but they only seem to give me graphical glitches in addition to the interface lag.

:suicide:

(I should note that it ran fine under Windows 7, and this is my first time trying it in Windows 8.1.)

Yep.

The general consensus I've seen online is that there's no way around it unless you run in windowed mode. Same thing's going on with me.

edit-- I use "-cpu4 -w" and it runs fine for me. Anything other than windowed mode runs like molasses.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
In CTGW is it normal to be steamrolled for the first dozen turns or so? Or am I just really bad at this?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Payday came a wee bit early and I treated myself to War Plan Orange; lets break this poo poo down 1920's style!

Whoooo!!!

How does WPO compare to WITP? $10 is hard to beat.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I went to the Matrix website to read about WPO and ended up buying WITW

:negative:

how do these things happen, I don't want to end up living in a cardboard box (at least I'll have lots of games to play)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Ultimate General is up against pigeon dater and Kentucky Route Zero in the vote thing for Steam. Hatoful Boyfriend is going to win there's no doubt about it, but let's vote the right way anyway!

Is Ultimate General any good? From what I've read, it's "the most accessible Civil War game," but, "not as good as that old Sid Meier game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is World in Flames any good...? I only say this because it's price is knocked from 99 to 69.

I think it's literally a port of the board game with no AI and no multiplayer. Literally just a board for you to play on as both sides.

For a hundred loving dollars.