Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Grey Hunter posted:

Right, at he end of the last thread we had some interest in WITE Multiplayer games - These are the people who expressed Interest.

Jakse
Me!
Alchenar
uPen

So, I'm still up for a game, so anyone want to play me, I've not really played since the LP, and I don't mind which side I have!

I am available for WITE games as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Still looking for people to play WITE with. Me and Jakse did two games that were pretty fun, but I am always up for more.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Any scenario is fine, even the Grand Campaign. I mostly play the Soviets.

Edit: 1.07.08, just downloaded and installed it.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 16, 2013

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Ya i'm still interested in playing you uPen, a Grand Campaign game would be fine.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Kiwillian posted:

I've been interested in these sorts of games for a while now. I've played the Paradox games and that sort of thing, but wanted something more hardcore, I guess.

So I went all in and bought DC:Warsaw to Paris and War In The East :ohdear:

Are there any good video tutorials for either of these? I've not played much of DC yet and I've beaten the tutorial in WitE once in 4 tries...

I found some forum posts and PDFs, but I guess what I would like is a click-by-click tutorial that explains everything. I did figure out what the little corner triangles are on the counters in WitE - a major achievement!

Still, I am enjoying things so far. I hope to maybe play a PBEM one day.

Here is how you learn WITE, play a multiplayer game of it with me!

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Hey Lord Windy, do your freaking WITE turn ya jerk. Its been like 5 weeks and you haven't even giving me an explanation.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

I need a new person to play WITE with. Lord Windy is a piece of poo poo who doesn't respond to messages for 5 weeks. And uPen got busy or whatever. Will play small scenarios or the Grand Campaign. Whatever.

Edit: Nope after like week four I checked his post history, rear end in a top hat has been posting all this time and ignoring my PMs, its GREAT.

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 18, 2013

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

The best way to learn WITE is to just play some of the super short scenarios, the descriptions tell you what you should be learning from it. Or you could just play a Grand Campaign in multiplayer, that is always fun. Just don't be like Lord Windy and stop doing turns and not responding to PMs or emails. (I am still pretty mad about that.)

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Jakse posted:

http://lparchive.org/War-in-the-East/ for the German side and for Russia: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535440&pagenumber=1

You have to get pretty far into both for all mechanics to be covered, but they were enough to get me to actually play a grand campaign online (gonna finish my turn eventually Grey Hunter!)

I thought I had pm'd you back but just pick a scenario and side and we can start rolling again.

Well I wasn't talking about you! Well I am hoping to get a Grand Campaign game going but if you don't wanna do that I am open to smaller scenarios.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Man i am thinking of buying Warsaw to Paris just to get in on the multiplayer game.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Alchenar posted:

To be clear: I'm sure that the blurriness is a problem with my system setup, but that doesn't really excuse white-on-white text choices.

e: I also have the urge to play some Close Combat: Cross of Iron if anyone's up for it.

I'll play some Cross of Iron with you. I think i still have it installed as well.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Alchenar posted:

To be clear: I'm sure that the blurriness is a problem with my system setup, but that doesn't really excuse white-on-white text choices.

e: I also have the urge to play some Close Combat: Cross of Iron if anyone's up for it.

I am still up for playing you in Cross of Iron, you should really buy PMs, or post your email and stuff on the spreadsheet.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I might be Holland and see if I can hold on all game. :v:

Hey you big butt, do you still wanna play Cross of Iron?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Yes I'm just really bad at being available because we live in literally opposite timezones.

I can play most anytime, i am unemployed at the moment and usually stay up pretty late.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Jakse posted:

In a grand campaign in War in the East is losing two panzer divisions by turn 8 par for PBEM because :suicide:

Does playing German vs Russian AI help make one less bad at it or is there another way? I've kept up with the uPen and Grey Hunter let's plays and I'm garbage.

Hey now don't get discouraged. You just gotta stop throwing your panzer divisions at my defensive line when they have no gas. You gotta a lot of really really good infantry that you can make holes with. You should pull your tanks back and let them refit and refuel and then makes holes with your infantry and punch your tanks through to my rear. Maybe you could post some screen shots in here of your next turn and ask for some advice.

Also give the War in the East forum on Matrix Games a read, alot of good advice in there. And read the German Section of this PDF. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1180829/GWITE.bestof.V3.pdf

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

I bought as well, shame it's going to take like an hour or two to download. I wish they had better download servers.

Hey, what the hell man, what happened to our WITE game. You stopped responding to PMs and haven't sent a turn in 5 months!

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Run it in compatibility mode and set it to display in 256 colors.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Everyone should buy War in the East so I have more people to play. :colbert:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

uPen posted:

I love WitE and I've enjoyed the hell out of it but over the last few weeks I've been playing a lot of DC: Case Blue and I've been having a blast. It's a really well put together game and it's much much cheaper than wite. I think I paid like $40 less for Warsaw-Paris & Case Blue put together than I did for WitE.

You should play WITE with me again ya butt!

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Jakse posted:

Oh hey I finally sent my turn. And I attempted to do a thing so maybe it will hold up and I'll feel less like a failure.

Also, everyone should get Commander: The Great War. And then PBEM me. I cannot get enough of that game.

Hey don't get so bummed about the last game, we're both still learning. Its cool we're having fun.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

VendoViper posted:

One of my biggest problems playing CC games is figuring out line of sight, since it is all top down 2d, it is really hard to figure out what you can see from where. There is really no excuse for that game not having a "ruler" LOS tool. Since it is so much less fiddly (simpler) I also find it a lot easier to be successful in Close Combat games.

Now I am really starting to get into the Combat Mission games, I am objectively terrible at these things, and am really glad that there isn't a real campaign mode. If there was I wouldn't ever make any progress as all my units are getting cut to ribbons, especially AFVs, I am always finding their AT guns by watching my tanks explode.

Honestly, play both!

Well it does have a LOS checker, you just select attack and check your LOS using the ruler that pops up. You can also check terrain height by holding down alt i think i running the mouse pointer over things.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

How does the QB force selection work anyway? I couldn't add anything smaller than the parent unit so I ended up just hitting the random/auto-assign button until I got what I wanted. Incidentally, doing the force selection yourself also seems to be the only way to create a QB where your platoon of GIs aren't assaulting a village guarded by a completely ineffectual AT section.

Basically you select one of the big formations and you can delete what you don't want. So like you can take a 44 Russian infantry battalion and delete everything but a platoon.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Me and dtkozl are playing a War Plan Orange PBEM and i sure miss all the improvements to the engine that WITP:AE added. But i am still loving it, we haven't gotten to do any big ships fight yet, and all the planes are kinda useless. If anyone else has the game and wants to do a PBEM game too, you should hit me up.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Some of the controls in WITP didn't exist yet in WPO, and WPO does not have much in the way of air units, and there is no production - both sides just get a set amount of stuff delivered to them on various turns.

In some ways all the simplification makes it easier. In some ways everything is so much slower because it's the '20s and that makes it harder to get into, but most of the lessons should apply. I do also own WPO and would be glad to help out with questions.

You should play a WPO pbem game with me nerd.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

If any of you nerds wants to play a PBEM game of WPO I am available!

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Please transfer War Plan Orange into WITP:AE, thanks in advance.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

i'll be the other German i guess but this is my first time doing a multiplayer game of Decisive battles and my I've only played for a few hours single player.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

I am ready and pumped, my email should be in the google doc thing.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

oh god, thats me, what do i do.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Are we using any of the variations?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Oh I see, freesetup, no dyle.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Ok turn file sent to Maev.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Its best to have everyone on the email chain that passes the email so we can tell who's stalled.

Also its customary to set your password to 'goon' so if you die or get sent to prison or get cancer ( godspeed happy hedonist) someone else can pick up your part of the game.

I set my paswords to lljk.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Well I can't wait for the DC game to get started, I played a little of the France scenario controlling only Army Group A and did OK.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Hey gradenko_2000, I see on the spreadsheet you got War Plan Orange, you interested in try a game of that sometime?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh what the hell - I can't guarantee that I'm a better opponent than the AI, but what have I got to lose. Let's do it.

What side do you wanna play? I've mostly played the Allies.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would prefer the Allies, and also I think we should use a 2-day turn cycle at least because of how slow everything moves in this game.

Alright, you wanna use the scenario that adds a bunch of never used designs? Its not wacky or anything its just designs that were made but never built or turned into carriers and stuff like that.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah! That should be cool.

Turn sent, I gotta tell you it was "good fun" figuring out how to do a Japanese first turn when the manual and forums for the game are useless and its my first time doing it.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

No, that looks quite similar to WitP but earlier in era?

Ya its set between 1920-30, so you got a lot of poo poo from WW1 still kicking around with aircraft carriers just starting to show up and early versions of ships you'll see in WITP, but the carriers are really bad and planes are TERRIBLE and short ranged. Almost all your scouting is either gonna be subs hanging around ports or actually putting together a scouting force of ships and going out to see whats happening.

Now while planes are terrible, some of them pack enough bombs to damage destroyers and cruisers, or even battleships, and all the ships have like terrible AA firepower. Ships of the Era would perhaps have one or two guns bigger then 37mm for AA work, and maybe a few machine guns so they could be pretty vulnerable to air attack. On the other hand we are talking about wood and fabric biplanes flying at 100mph so even that light AA could destroy them.

Subs on the other hand have a easier time during this era, there is almost no way for a ships to detect a sub before it attacks, and no way to track the sub after it dives back under the water. The best way to hunt for subs is to use disguised armed merchants to tool around and hope they bait a sub into a surface attack.

Ships during this era are a real mixed bag, You get a lot of Battleships who have decent range but will max out at 25 knots, Battlecruisers which will do 30+ and have even more range, balanced against the fact that there are not a lot of cruisers around, and quite a few of them are short ranged. And well I hope you like Destroyers, cause boy are their a lot of them, US starts with like 80+ sitting in Los Angles alone, and boy are they bad, 4000 mile range, 4-5 4 inch guns, torpedoes, a few machine guns and depth charges. Japan's average destroyer does maybe 3500 miles on a tank of oil and i think is about as poorly armed, compare that to a battleship that will happily sail 8000 miles, or a Battlecruiser who will sail 10k+ miles.

Oh and get used to losing a ton of people whenever you do a landing on a unfriendly beach, you don't got any dedicated landing craft!

But all and all i liked the game a lot, I like being able to do big fleet actions and not have to worry about Betties nailing me 18 hexs from land and stuff like that. I like that i can't know what my enemy is up to unless i make a effort to sail out and look. 10/10 GOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How's the AI hold up in WPO?
Also, can I play the big scenarios as just USA vs Japan when playing against the AI?

AI isn't great, it has set plans and doesn't really react to much. Easy to round up enough ships to smash it up as it ships men into the attack on the Philippines, and in a few games I did it would just have the troops it didn't get in sit on the beach waiting for reinforcements. And once you do a few games you can figure out the order the AI is gonna attack certain places and have things waiting for them. Tough if you're just starting out this isn't quite as obvious and it can be pretty fun.

Sure I guess if you wanted to only use US ships you can just leave all those lovely French and British and Dutch and Australians ships just sitting in port. You don't really gotta do anything in China since this is way before Japan invaded China.

Edit: Oh and if you ever wanna do WPO multiplayer I am always down!

ElBrak fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 4, 2015