Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Wait, is $35 "really cheap," or did I miss a sale?

Well, it is, compared to the times when you could only get Dominions from Shrapnel Games... which has always felt more grognardy a publisher than even Matrix to me. Parting ways with Shrapnel must have been a good move for Illwinter and Dominions, now its available from Desura and Steam (Dominions 4 still isn't out in Steam though), and at a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Finnish troops at least tended to prefer captured DPs over the pre-war designed domestic Lahti-Saloranta LMGs. Doesn't obviously tell how it holds against contemporary LMGs of other forces.

I'm excited about getting Eastern Front CM 2.0 finally.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

My favourite World In Flames forums bit:

quote:

AI will never work for this game. So releasing it without an AI isn't a mistake.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Well poo poo. I was thinking of picking up Command Ops during the holiday sales season, but Panther Games have switched their publishing from Matrix to Lock'n'Load Publishing (no idea about them) who don't even have the series up on their web pages yet.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Lunsku posted:

Well poo poo. I was thinking of picking up Command Ops during the holiday sales season, but Panther Games have switched their publishing from Matrix to Lock'n'Load Publishing (no idea about them) who don't even have the series up on their web pages yet.

Apparently LNL Publishing is straight up unable to sell the old Command Ops games due to copyright issues. There's Command Ops 2 engine coming at some point, with the previous Bulge, Market Garden and Crete provided as scenarios.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Well poo poo, after looking through Combat Mission: Black Sea manual (PDF at Battlefront forums since yesterday) I'm kinda itching to get it. Modern tactical level game has been something I've been looking for, and my problem with Shock Troops was that the setting wasn't interesting at all.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

dtkozl posted:

If panther games charges for bulge, httr, and conquest of the aegean in their new game I'm done with them. Paying for the same scenario three times is a grog low point even I won't hit. At least combat mission has free missions/mods.

My understanding is that they will charge for them. Bundle of all the scenarios for $49,99 or something.

Can you even download the old Command Ops games from Matrix if you bough them from there, actually, now that they've discontinued the product?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Combat Mission: Black Sea is out. Kinda tempted to get it, after skipping Fortress Italy and Red Thunder.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

It bothers me a fair bit how ugly transition in Black Sea the textures take outside the "bubble" around the camera, from high resolution to low.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The thing is, I have absolutely no recollection of this kind of issue with CMBN. It's been two years since I touched that so I certainly may have just forgotten it, but with CMBS it immediately started to bother me.

And with the old CMBO the only graphical issue I had back in the day was how unclear terrain height differences were sometimes, unmodded.

Edit: Also notice the green tinted buildings in the pictures. Same is going on with a lot of vehicle textures in game, and is apparently some shader issue with newest Catalyst drivers. Might need to roll back to solve that.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Velius posted:

How does CMBS model AA assets or air superiority? Is it just done on a mission to mission or point cost basis?

Man portable SAM like Stinger and Igla are around. Russian side also has Tunguska and vehicle mounted Strelas.

AA assets outside the tactical area in the map are not modeled. I assume air superiority is a matter of a side having or not having air assets available in the particular mission, by designer's will.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

Man, Kieme is pushing out some great texture reworks for CB Black Sea, his Ukraine vehicle rework is great.

Too bad he hasn't gotten to Russia's plastic toy tanks yet.

Yeah Kieme's terrain textures straight up fixed my immediate eyesore, the low-res ground texture right outside the camera circle.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Looks like War in the East is coming to Steam this week. No clue about the price.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Illegal Username posted:

Edit: what was that crazy book where lizard aliens invade in the middle of WW2?

Probably Harry Turtledove's Worldwar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar_series

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Had been eyeing Pike and Shot for a while so good time to pick that up. Also the small Vietnam game as it was cheap and to my understanding pretty nifty.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Looks like Richard Bodley Scott (the Pike & Shot dude) is making a medieval Japan game next:
http://www.wargamer.com/news/sengoku-jidai-shadow-of-the-shogun-is-coming-soon-to-pc/

quote:

Accurate simulation of East Asian battle in the 16th and 17th centuries, particularly the Sengoku Jidai (Japanese Warring States period) and Imjin War (Japanese invasion of Korea and Chinese intervention).
Unique graphic style influenced by Japanese paintings.
Historical scenarios covering key engagements of the period
Campaign mode allows you to rewrite history as you play through key campaigns of the era. Terrain, manpower, supply, attrition, sieges and economic damage all need to be taken into account. The decisions you make on the strategic map will affect the forces available to you in battle. The results of each battle will have long-term effects on the strength, experience and elan of your units.
Classic Turn-based, tile based gameplay.
Easy to use interface, hard to master gameplay.
Battalion-sized units.
Named generals who can influence combat and morale of units under their command as well as engage enemy generals in personal combat.
Single player and multiplayer battle modes.
Skirmish system allows unlimited “what-if” scenarios using historically realistic armies from carefully researched army lists, on realistic computer generated terrain maps. Armies covered include numerous Japanese clans, Ikko Ikki, Wokou Pirates, Joseon Korean, Ming Chinese, Chinese and Tribal rebels, Eastern and Western Mongols, Jurchen and Imperial Manchu (Qing Chinese) armies. Each faction has multiple lists covering the development of their armies through the 16th and 17th centuries.
Skirmish scenarios are randomly generated and include open battle, attack on a defensive position, defence of a defensive position, awaiting reinforcements, enemy awaiting reinforcements, flank march.
In skirmishes players can pick their armies from the army list or allow the computer to pick the army for them.
Effective AI makes sound tactical decisions. Historical battle AI customised to the historical tactical situation.
6 difficulty levels allow the challenge to increase as you develop your battlefield skills.
Numerous different unit organisations, combat capabilities and tactical doctrines allow full representation of tactical differences and developments through the period.
Mod friendly game system with built-in map editor.
Multiplayer mode allows historical scenarios and “what-if” scenarios to be played by two players using Slitherine’s easy to use PBEM server.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

That CoaDE developer's blog is by the way pretty nice read if you're at all interested about what "realistic" space warfare might be like. I went throught it last week in one afternoon and it was interesting and nicely written pretty much all the time.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Battlefront really can just gently caress right off with that. Ain't gonna drop that money for my CMBN or CMBS, or even consider getting any of the others.

Considering picking up Mius Front from the Steam sales though. A bit wary though, I did not like thei Kharkov game at all seven years back or so, but then again the engine and game I understand has gone forward since then.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Honestly I think Wargame, with a bit slower pace, would probably sate my tactical strategy thirst pretty well.

My peeve is that the old games like CM: Beyond Overlord and CM: Barbarossa to Berlin were more than anything extremely playable and approachable. You could do sensible battlefield tactic things in them in a whole different way than in classically turn based game like Steel Panthers, and yet the presentation was definitely good enough for the times, and you didn't need to bend over backwards to do those things - they are still very playable games!

With CMx2 games there's way more fidelity in what you can do with the non-abstract squads and stuff, but it's way more cumbersome to play (I hope my nostalgia is not striking too hard here, must be like last decade when I last dug out the CMBB disc from the shelf), technically stinks, and critically: these things really have changed gently caress all over what, three iterations of paid patches over ten years? I've liked playing CMBN and CMBS, but the shortcomings just hit me so hard nowadays.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I just guess it doesn't translate that well into a game. Of the Winter War setting, I would think the historical battles on the northern coast of lake Lagoda (Tolvajärvi) might make for the most interesting scenario - both sides were actively maneuvering for an attack there, in contrast to the Red Army trying to breach the mostly static (until the offensive in February at least) Finnish line at the Karelian Isthmus, or becoming hobbled to the limited road network and ensuing envelopments farther north (Kuhmo, Suomussalmi, Raate).

Continuation War would honestly make for much more interesting Finnish setting, both the Finnish offensive phase in 1941 and the Russian comeback in summer of 1944.

Also Lapland war against Germans, if only to model the Finnish offensive stalling for a day in Tornio after a regiment found a German supply depot and raided its alcohol stores. :finland:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

dtkozl posted:

Looks like fantasy general is free on gog today. One of my favorite wargames.

Yeah do pick this up. It's as lite-grog as a SSI General game can be, but it's one of my teenage favourites and I'm pretty sure it's still a rock solid game. At least still was ten years ago or so when I played it the last time.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Holy loving poo poo

A CYOA-ish (think Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa) tactical WWII game with Chris Avellone and Cameron Harris (the DC:B guy) on the team coming out next year. Where the gently caress is the preorder button?

Yeah let me throw money at this. I love the concept and I'm glad someone tries to pull it off however it turns out.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Empire Deluxe reminded me that someone really needs to look at Dani Bunten’s Global Conquest for inspiration and make a global war game in the same spirit.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Always felt that the engine was at its least clumsy in the style of infantry heavy combat at show in Market Garden, and campaign structure in general very much made good sense there and worked. CC3 somehow just didn't grab me at all, and fast forward a year or so from that and Combat Mission was there fulfilling almost all my tactical gaming needs.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Happy Hedonist posted:

I finally picked Field of Glory 2 up since it's on sale. It seems like a pretty good buy at $20? It's way better than the first one which I played a ton of while recognizing it was bad (MP wasn't completely horrible). I'm a sucker for the time period and have been itching for a new ancients game.

I was eyeing this too. Isn't it from the same folks as Pike & Shot, Sengoku Jidai, similar system but just different time period?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Finally been trying to get to grips with Pike & Shot Campaign through very small all potluck scenarios. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding has been that the basic gist of it is:

Concentrate shooting to specific enemy units to break cohesion down a level, especially if you can bring artillery down on each. Switch target if you disrupt/fragment, as shooting won't take out more than one level a turn. Don't pour down absolutely all the fire on one target, as if you don't break the cohesion on the rolls you get this turn, you "only" cause casualties on the excess.

If your troop type is shooty compared to the same enemy troop type, try to keep the fight shooty. If it is higher impact or melee, close the distance.

Have just enough local numerical advantage so you can use the priority charge target rules or melee charge to restrict opponent movement and turning, maneuver and flank or rear attack with another unit. It feels like restricting enemy turns through this is pretty important so you can maneuver around.

Some movement rules definitely caught me by surprise, I had one enemy horse ride between my two horse facing it, diagonally next to each other, to flank my third horse attack sqwad in melee. Which I guess makes sense as neither horse ZOCed that enemy when it moved, or had it as a priority charge target.

Light troops I'm pretty much lost with as it is - light foot in good terrain for them and pour down the fire, light horse pinging the enemy at max distance to make sure they manage to evade? Not being able to flank or rear attack with the light cav makes them feel pretty peashooty.

Do you generally end up with contiguous lines, or do you actually have checkerboard like formations when the battle is met? I kind of got the impression from manual that checkerboard might be better to allow for artillery or other shooting LOS from behind the front in some situations, but not sure.

I've had fun with the game for sure now, even though as far as the settings go both Sengoku Jidai and Field of Glory II have been tempting.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Pasta point would be terribly unrealistic in an ancient Rome era game! :nono:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I am interested and would like to know more.